[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/. A buddy and I are going hunting for the first time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: pic.jpg (400KB, 1707x1280px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
400KB, 1707x1280px
Hey /out/. A buddy and I are going hunting for the first time this weekend. We're headed to the southern Sierras to try to bag squirrels and rabbits with 10/22s.

I know to look around Black Oak trees because lots of wildlife feed on the acorns. I was even thinking of collecting some acorns to leech and grind into flour later.

Any tips for us, or stories you want to share?

I'm curious about:
>Good questions to ask the local rangers (I was planning on giving them a call beforehand)
>Squirrel/rabbit behavior, hunting methods (stalk vs wait)
>Anything worth knowing about SoCal mountain flora
>Tasty high-energy snack favorites
>Squirrel/rabbit recipes you've had success with

I hope we have a successful first hunt, but even if we don't, it'll be great to get the fuck /out/ of the city and see some nature.
>>
What are you going to use for cooking while /out/? Southern California is pretty restrictive and rangers will not cut you any slack during the drought.
>>
>>632924
1-day trip, not camping. We're new to this stuff so we figured we'd make it easy and inexpensive.
>>
>>632925
Have either of you gone on non-hunting trips in California? You know that you need hunting licenses?
>>
>>632926
Yeah, duh. We have licenses and we read up on the regulations. We just don't have any first-hand experience.
>>
>>632931
I figured I would check seeing as you want to make acorn flour and are asking for snack tips. I don't suggest the former. For the latter, GORP. Have fun, don't shoot your eye out.
>>
>>632933
Whats wrong with acorn flour? You have to leech out the tannins, but beyond that, I've seen recipes that mix acorn flour and normal flour for pancakes and stuff.
>>
>>632933
I'm always curious just how many fags these days DON'T know what GORP is or what it actually stards for...

So if you DO know, don't ruin this by showing off, mk?
>>
>>632935
> let's hunt squirrels and leech tannines and make pancakes and stuff

Why bother in a day trip?
>>
>>632935
I've never had it, but I have better things to do than spending a day searching for acorns and milling them. I've no lust for doing the chores of a Miwok woman.

>>632936
You're on the Internet, just assume everyone can look up basic shit like that.
>>
>>632937
>"grind into flour later"
I was going to collect them if we got bored, then turn them into flour the next week, at home. Just to fuck around.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.