[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats up /out/ I wanna start doing outdoorsy shit. Firstly,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: P2019909edit.jpg (642KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
P2019909edit.jpg
642KB, 960x720px
Whats up /out/

I wanna start doing outdoorsy shit.

Firstly, i intend to climb a mountain. I live in england so it seems ill likely have to get the train down to the lake district.

Ive got basic first aid training, good walking boots, a decent coat and back garden tier bushcraft skills.

What other items/skills do I need, and once I have them, do i just rock up whenever and climb that shit or do i have to appease some gods to avoid exploding?

Thanks guys

Pic related is the kinda thing id like to climb, idk if it exists in the uk though outside of scotland though.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 200x252px
Alright guys ima post what it seems like i should bring, i dont wanna go buying a lot of expensive gear until i can really utilise it.

>Phone with mobile charger (to keep time, my watch got stolen)
>Shitty 15l karrimor bag
>cheap work gloves (like http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/8726573/wondergrip-premium-orange-thermal-dexterous-waterproof-foam-latex-gloves---conforms-to-en388-2231-en511-01x---pair---mc-wg-338.html )
>2 pairs of boxers, 2 spare socks, spare shirt
>spare pair of shorts/joggers
>hoodie
>fleece
>poncho
>boots
>space blanket/bivvi bag
>lighters
>torch
>2l water

Am i missing anything? (fuck food)
>>
Food dehydrator; as you say, fuck the food hitting the wall is fun! Just bring the dehydrator!

Better bring an ice axe too, just to be safe.
>>
>>632319
yeah you're forgetting the gorka.
>>
>>632319
holy shit you are going to die if you try and do any kind of mountaineering with that gear.
>>
>>632327
Mountains in england are like 950m elevation, its winter so it seems like the only danger is the temperature, which ive got enough layers to be fine with.

Pic related is what im looking at doing first
>>
>>632328
Forgot pic
>>
>>632329
ahh ok, i live in the Pacific Northwest, so i guess my definition of "mountain climbing" is a bit different. what you would be doing is considered strenuous hike over here in the cascades.

the only thing i can say is definitely bring enough water, and try and get some rain gear. even a mist can get you pretty wet over time in just a poncho. also, invest in a good 30-40l pack, you will eventually need the extra space as you get /out/ more.
>>
>>632345
I do want to get into everest tier shit though, i just dont know how yet so ima start small and cheap, then work my way up from there.
>>
>>632347
that will take years of dedicated training and experience. im in guide school now, and we are just scratching the surface in terms of activities and skill levels. most of our trips are considered "strenuous" by most standards, but we are babies compared to Everest climbers.
>>
File: 103166035.0.jpg (633KB, 3016x2124px) Image search: [Google]
103166035.0.jpg
633KB, 3016x2124px
>>632350
>but we are babies compared to Everest climbers
>implying any asshole with $100k can't get drug to the summit

i was quite disappointed to learn that k2 has also succumbed to summit-for-money
>>
>>632355
im not talking about the "20k Everest package!" fags who "want to experience life!" im talking about hard dudes like paul petzol or john muir. there's people out there who spent their entire lives doing what we love, the fuckers.

i just hope i can get enough fun in during my lifetime in the adventure industry.
>>
>>632355
also, holy fuck, that pic isnt very LNT.
>>
>>632350
TRU?
>>
>>632307
>Pic related is the kinda thing id like to climb, idk if it exists in the uk though outside of scotland though.

Lucky for you pic related is the lake district.

Can I suggest you start off on the classic grade 1 scrambles and see where that takes you? I mean, try just climbing a mountain first, a nice normal way, then try a bit of a scramble. Progression is the key. Do something a little harder each time.

Don't fuck about in winter. Crampons and ice axe if there's any chance of reaching snow, quality warm layers, bla bla bla.

Might I suggest striding edge to get you started? It's not in any way difficult (aside from being a long ass walk) but it'll get you a little sense of the fun of being in a place with a bit of air round you.
>>
I haven't done any technical climbing (requiring rope or anchors). I have climbed Mt. Shasta (14,179 ft above sea level) in California USA and Mt. Whitney (14,505 ft). I used ice axe and crampons for Mt. Shasta both times. That equipment was available for rent in the San Francisco bay area or in the Shasta area. For Mt. Whitney at the time of year I was there no climbing equipment was needed. There are different routes up these mountains that do require additional equipment.

Short answer, start out easy and build skills. On big trips "No Auditions" of new equipment you haven't already tried out on easier trips.
>>
>>632385
The lake district is where i was looking at going, although scrambling is a completely new idea to me, going along striding edge looks quite fun and challenging.

Cheers man.

Also, do you guys roll solo or with someone else?
>>
>>632549
Striding edge is often described as a grade 0.5 scramble - there's elements of scrambling and you get a nice taster of it, but anyone in half decent health can manage it. Highly recommended for a starter.

>Also, do you guys roll solo or with someone else?

I usually go with the GF or drag a friend along... I tried my first grade 2 scramble this past summer on my lonesome and while the terrain was well within my limits, there was something about being solo that made it a whole other thing. Shat myself a bit to be honest.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.