[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /out/ im going hunting soon for the first time. nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: 106442137_2eccfaddcb.jpg (70KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
106442137_2eccfaddcb.jpg
70KB, 500x320px
hey /out/

im going hunting soon for the first time. nothing major just some cotton tail. however ive never killed anything before and it kind of makes me feel ill thinking about it. i know its hypocritical because i eat meat but i cant help it.

how do i get over this feeling? kill lots of shit?
>>
>>628000
You don't. You either go with it and pull the trigger and come to terms with the fact that you'll have a dead animal on your hands, or decide that you're better off shooting paper targets.

Your call.
>>
You can't help feeling like a faggot because you have been living that life in this rotten world. Blast those fuckers until there is nothing left. It's cathartic
>>
>>628000
If you enjoy killing something then there is something wrong with you. I have been hunting for 14yrs now and I never like killing. I enjoy the rest immensely but not the actual killing the critter part. If you need to hunt then do so. If you do not then don't. Guns are just as much if not more fun to use at targets any ways. I like shooting steel targets all day long far more than shooting once on a 3 day long hunt
>>
I don't know anything about hunting but for me I figured it would help to know I was a good shot and to know I was going to use the animal efficiently.
The latter part I'm not so clear on anymore. Let's say I just skin that poor fucker and toss him on the ground. I'm pretty sure something is going to come along and eat him and what's left will fertilize the ground.
It's not as if it is truly wasted.
>>
>>628000
You've never killed a pet just to watch it die?

What's wrong with you
>>
>>628029
You sound like a girl. Please die
>>
Yes, it's hypocritical that you eat meat, but are afraid to kill. But guess what? Pretty much everyone else is too. Me included.

I don't hunt that often, small game here and there, deer now and then. It's never easy to kill something, if you enjoy the act of killing, you're sick in the head.

I enjoy the hunt, I enjoy being responsible for the source of my food, I enjoy the outdoors, and I enjoy eating what I've killed. I don't like actual killing.

You have to respect what you kill. 2 days ago I shot 3 squirrels. They died instantly, or nearly instantly (shot one, thought I missed because he was still hanging on the side of the tree, dropped 5 seconds later). This death is probably better than being ripped apart alive by a hawk. While I don't like to kill, I do respect the animal much more knowing I killed it, and will eat it, after its lived a natural life. Unlike the beer cow that's been raised in a pen on a factory farm then slaughtered by someone working 9-5 and cut up into pieces. Yeah, that burger is fucking good, but I don't respect it.

I'm going to eat those squirrels, maybe a stew, maybe just marinated, but I will appreciate and respect that meal a hell of a lot more than the burger I ate at 5 guys yesterday. Shit is a good burger though.
>>
>>628000
There's no doubt that the kill is an intense aspect of hunting. In my case the kill comes with a complex mixture of emotions before and after including (in no particular order) stress, focus, thrill, apprehension, thanks, relief, sadness, satisfaction, gratification, mild momentary nausea.

The only thing that upset me severely and still bothers me a bit to this day after many years of hunting is wounding, but not recovering an animal. It's happened to me once and I vow to never let it happen again.

Welcome to the food chain sc/out/. How you experience these events is totally personal. You should just go and do it. After that you'll know if it's for you or not. You'll learn about yourself in the process.
>>
>>628000
kill to feed yourself. everything dies and in nature death is often pretty grisly. A quick death that has purpose shouldn't be something to feel bad about.
>>
Do you hunt in a traditional way in which the killing of an animal is some kind of ritual?

for example that you put a twig in a dead deers mouth or that you put some of the animals blood that you first killed in your face?

I myself don't hunt but i think it might make the act of killing easier.
>>
Eh, you won't feel much of anything negative when you're in the moment. You'll be too busy lining up your shot to feel ill or anything along those lines.

You may feel sick about it afterward but I doubt it. For me, It was just a touch surreal the first time I shot an animal but I wasn't upset that I did. It passes anyway. Eventually you'll realize it's overrated, just like sex.
>>
>>628241
>Eh,

Every post I read beginning with this is retarded, including yours.
>>
>>628000
You'll do just fine since you just posted trips

>impressive,_very_nice.jpg
>>
>>628239
>you put a twig in a dead deers mouth

The guys I went hunting with were old German guys that would do this, I did it with my first deer. They do it out of respect and i believe is called something like "last bite" but in German. They do it with hooved animals.
>>
>>628246
Technically yours began with Eh as well. Are you enjoying the retarded post club?
>>
>>628254
beat me to it.
>>
>>628253
Yes. It's called der letzte Biss. The blood smearing seems to be an old Celtic or Anglo-saxon tradition.
Just wanted to know if these traditions are also common in north America.
>>
>>628258
Eh (lol), I don't know if many modern hunters do this, but traditional north Americans put corn kernels in the nostrils of a deer they take, and thank the deer for providing them food. I belive the corn was more for "circle of life" than that particular deer. Where the deer died, corn will grow to feed more deer.
>>
>>628060
Spotted the 13yr old edge lord
>>
>>628273
Spotted the white knight male feminist
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfyQIuNmvc
>>
been hunting for 18 years, almost exclusivly dove hunting though, and i dont really feel too bad when i shoot them even if i wing them and have to break their neck in order to finish them off....i think its just because ive been doing it for so long and im not really attached to them.

however last year i shot a jack-rabbit and got him in the back leg, i had to go in and put him out of his mysery with my knife, and that was really the only time that i ever felt bad for killing anything, because of the amount of panic i saw on his face as i was approaching him and the fury with which he tried to get away from me.....still though that was really the only time ive ever felt bad about killing something. didnt stop me from devouring him however.....so idk, if you do it enough you might get used to it and might not, but every now and then you might just get a sudden rush of the feels and feel bad for the little buggers...who knows
>>
>>628046
>3edgy5me
>>
File: image.jpg (354KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
354KB, 960x720px
>>628000
You'll never know how you'll feel until you do and sure when you do you will have a renewed respect for hunting in general
>>
I'd be lying if I said the kill wasn't an extremely exciting part of the hunt, but only if I make a clean shot and the animal suffers very little. I hate wounding an animal and having to finish it because I don't like the idea of causing it more pain.
>>
>>628000
Rabbits may not be the best thing to start with as they scream like a baby if you wound them. I'd start with birds like grouse, pheasant or doves.

>>628018
Get help, anon.

>>628060
>>628046
I'll bet your parents would be pissed if they knew you were up this late on a school night.

>>628239
I like put some leaves in the mouth of a deer's mouth after closing its eyes placing its severed head under a shady tree. Just my way of saying thanks really.
>>
>>628814
>mouth of a deer's mouth

*in the deer's mouth.
>>
File: 1348521156621.jpg (122KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1348521156621.jpg
122KB, 500x667px
>>628000

Just realize that everything in the world kills everything else. That rabbit would most likely be killed by a hawk, fox, coyote, or another hunter.
Killing things has been popular since the dawn of life on this planet. It's a perfectly natural phenomenon.
>>
>>628000
I've never hunted before, but I want to and I get a little excited thinking about it.

However I think I'd enjoy putting all of my marksmanship training into practice in the act of setting up the perfect shot rather than the act of killing itself.

I feel shitty after killing a spider, so I don't think I'd feel any good about killing a warm blooded animal, but it's certainly more ethical than eating meat from a supermarket.
>>
File: the judge.jpg (111KB, 795x1005px) Image search: [Google]
the judge.jpg
111KB, 795x1005px
>>628000
You won't get over it before you do the deed. I didn't get upset when I killed for the first few times and then it hit me for a spell when I killed my second deer. Ultimately I think it's healthy that I got over my hangup about killing animals so I can be consistent with my more rational beliefs and take my place as an omnivore.

Just remember that the great majority of rabbits die in their first year of life, killed by predators that will eat them alive. You're a merciful god by comparison to a hawk.

A lot of people have little rituals for when they kill that seem to help them keep an even keel. Like another anon said, the "last bite" gesture is a common one. Just touch the nearest greenery to the animal's mouth when you first get to the body. I have more of those twigs than any other kind of trophy.

>>628060
Fuck off.

>>628850
That conflict is normal, all part of humanity's overgrown social intelligence. I think hunting makes people face the inevitable inconsistencies between our feelings and our actions fact to face and is very good for your mind in that way.
>>
>>628859
>I think hunting makes people face the inevitable inconsistencies between our feelings and our actions fact to face

That's a very good way to put it, actually.
>>
>>628264
Good way to get in trouble for bating. Do not take corn with you when deer hunting.
>>
>>628888
>bating
What's corn have to do with having a wank in the stand?
>>
>>628896
Well if you aren't looking at corn while bating it will take longer.
>>
>>628280
I suppose I should thank you for a momentary chuckle.
Yet I sincerely hope you get typhoid.
>>
>>628099
This nigga knows what's up.

Good on you annon. Would hunt with you/10
>>
File: 0813151913.jpg (2MB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
0813151913.jpg
2MB, 2240x1344px
One bullet, one bunn

Words to live by, OP
>>
>>628859

>That conflict is normal, all part of humanity's overgrown social intelligence. I think hunting makes people face the inevitable inconsistencies between our feelings and our actions fact to face and is very good for your mind in that way.

This, I like this. Also, props for using a picture of Holden, seems like something he'd say, I suppose.
>>
>>628000
OP I have this weird habit of laughing and playing with dead animals and having a good time vs crying over it or having bad feels. Maybe its some deep seeded fucked up childhood thing. dunno. but I also believe in going for kill shots and not just blindly wounding an animal and waiting for it to crawl off somewhere and choke on its own blood.

the bad feels is when you hit a rabbit and it runs off and for the life of you cannot find where the little fucker crawled off into to die...

Also >white spots on the liver
don't eat. and NEVER let brain juice get on the meat. there's actually a valid reason for whacking off somethings head once you've skinned it.

There's something called prions anon. and humans can contract ALL of them... they are in the spinal juices, and brain juices.

oh and if your animal has like thousands of ticks over it.. I normally don't even try to eat it, dunno what kind of nasty's that thing has. but good news. Racoon eat dead shit. and if you're lucky like me, you live in a place that have alligators and just find your nearest watering hole and leave it on the edge of the water. Da gator will find it...

while I value a kill and the animals life, mine is much more valuable. because its mine... and life is a bitch, no matter how you wanna look at our world as being civilized. when the rubber meets the road. we're fucking just as brutal to each other as we are to other species.
>>
I'm a hunter but I wouldn't hunt rabbits unless I had to. My ex and I got one and she's still around and adorable (not the ex) so it's hard for me to do it, I think. I like rabbits too, so there's that. It's just a personal thing for me. Everything else is fair game.
>>
>>629136

Yeah, I don't hunt them for the same reason but I don't get angry at anyone for doing it.

People have their hangups.
>>
>>629200

Yeah, I don't care what other people do because that's their business.
>>
File: likethis.jpg (95KB, 520x780px) Image search: [Google]
likethis.jpg
95KB, 520x780px
>>628286
An interesting one. I've killed hundres of game birds and waterfowl, and I feel no remorse or hesitation whatever. Removing honk is even gratifying.

I was out to my country place one time though, doing water maintenace on the pond. I was not expecting to find a racoon in a leg trap. Because I don;t own any leg traps. Turns out a lease partner put them out.

So it's summer. There is no house out here, just a tool shop and a barn. So all I have are stick tools and a .22 pistol.

So I take the pistol. I'm about eight feet away. It's in the water, about six inches deep. I'm on the edge of the mud line.

It's looking at me. It is in pain, because broken leg. It's wet. Last night it got down to about 58, so it was cold. It is shivering, probably from shock setting in.

It looks at me. It knows. I know it knows. I have had dogs and cats all my life. I know it knows. But what am I going to do? If I approach it will attack and racoons are the last vector of rabies in my state. How would I ever explain to a bet that I want to restore a wild racoon? How many hundred miles to the nearest wildlife rescue organization?

I aimed very carefully. It was not my pistol - it's one we leave out there (in a safe). I shot at it's head. Even though the bullet went through his eye, he struggled. He threw himself under the water, I guess as a panic escape tactic. Maybe somehow it thought that drowning was better.

I just stepped into the water and fired again. And again. I shot it four times before it stopped moving. It took about 40 seconds.

We had a meeting after that, the lease partners and I. There are no more leg traps.
>>
>>629338
way to ruin his coon pelt queermo
>>
>>629347
Peace was never an option. Pelt quality in summer is sub-market anyway.
>>
File: zombiesquirrel.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
zombiesquirrel.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
Sorry guys...

you will thank me for stopping the upcoming squirrel zombie apocalypse...
>>
>>628002
This, pretty much, it's just something you have to work out yourself. I'm fairly desensitised to shooting pest predators, feral cats and foxes, once you've seen the handiwork of foxes/cats on chicken coups or foxes on new lambs it's harder to give a shit about them but when I'm shooting a roo or something else just minding his own business in his own place it can give you pause.

A good friend of mine decided after shooting his first animal it wasn't for him, 4 years later after buying into a farming property it's just business for him now that he's done enough cow/sheep/pig killers for the table.
>>
>>629338
yea i think its when you come upon the animal in distress that makes killing them harder, must mean that we have just a little more empathy for them or soemthing, idk....when i killed that rabbit it didnt stop me from eating it but it serves as a reminder of what to do next time to prevent unwarranted suffering.
>>
>>629630
What made me think of it was your mention of a face. I've killed rabbits for food too. I never felt bad for one, especially if my dog flushed and drove it. My dog hears choirs of angels during that shit.

The distress, yeah. But it, the racoon, made expressions. It used the eyebrow tactic. Like a retriever. It put its paws together. I know that is not a prayer or a plead, but what it looked like...

It just wasn't a fair fight. It was not the sport where the animal can escape, as many do. I miss plenty of doves. Even with guns, I would (and have) argue that the animal retains an advantage of adaptation to the environment. Antis who have never hunted are the only people who make this argument about unfairness. They have no clue how many get away, don't respond to call, can jink like a MiG, etc. Hunting is not unfair.

This, though, was an execution. They are disease carrying, property destroying vermin, little different from groundhogs and killing groundhogs makes me feel like I have legit improved the ecosystem of planet Earth.

I don't know. If the trap had just crushed his head I would never have thought about or even remembered it.
>>
File: images (13).jpg (19KB, 313x470px) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
19KB, 313x470px
Brother and I used to shoot ~60 wallabies a night about once a week for pest control. Turned it into a game where every missed shot per 10 shot magazine was a beer owed.

We kept maybe 3-5 of the biggest wallabies every trip, the largest males we used for dog meat and the largest, youngest females we kept for roast dinners and sometimes sausages. The rest were left in the paddock for the Tasmanian devils.

To be honest these are some of my best memories of home. I don't really 'feel' anything when I kill a wallaby, to me it's the same as picking an apple off a tree or digging up a potato. Obviously you want to do it right or you spoil the fruit/meat but I certainly don't get a rush of remorse after popping a shot off.

Don't understand your predicament OP. Maybe you'll get over it. Pic is a Tasmanian Bennett wallaby.

>inb4 you're a monster
>inb4 not 'real' hunting
>>
>>629759
Straya, I finally have one nice thing to say about you guys. An importer here in the States is making wet canned dog food out of kangaroos and my hunter fucking loves it. So keep that shit up, cause I'll pay the extra 50 cents for that shit as long as it keeps coming.
>>
>>629759
Look at the balls on that fuckin thing.
>>
>>629759
You do get inured to it, especially when it's pest control, when I'm shooting foxes I have no sympathy for them, just annoyance at myself if I miss.
>>
>>629775

Cool man. The dog meat we shot was for our own dogs and cats.

There are shooters in central Australia that make a living off shooting feral camels, horses and donkeys selling the meat for dog food.

Tasmania is a special case in that the main pest problem is native rufus and bennett wallabies. Their populations have boomed following the introduction of high energy European grasses.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.