[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I made a cinnamon based mosquito repellent using alcohol as the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: homeopathic_medicine.jpg (226KB, 502x333px) Image search: [Google]
homeopathic_medicine.jpg
226KB, 502x333px
I made a cinnamon based mosquito repellent using alcohol as the medium. I gotta say not only does it work but it leaves the little shits so dizzy you can just pick them up. I imagine what's happening is that when the mosquito spits to apply the histamine, the layer of cinnamon essence left on the skin mixes with the spit and evaporates right on their faces. That's good and all but the solution evaporates too fast when trying to apply it, and it wears off too soon as well. Is there a way to make this a little bit more... oily? Using actual oil as the medium proved to be a disaster, mind you, I suppose because the spit doesn't mix with it. I'm thinking soap for lack of a better option, but I was hoping to get some good suggestions here, any ideas?

Also bug repellent general.
>>
You could try diluting cinnamon essential oil in water and spraying that.
I believe peppermint oil repels them too... or I could be thinking of different bugs.
>>
>>627589
Also, pine, lemon eucalyptus, and basil oils work as well.
>>
I use DEET, everything else I've used has failed to work.
>>
>>627596
This.

Is any of this homebrew shit works for you, even the nessmuk pine tar stuff, you aren't involved in a very big bug problem.

100% DEET is the only thing that works.

>I heard it was harmful to humans

Not as harmful as being bitten all over by bugs.

>what about my kids!?

If you love your kids you DEET them all up when they go /out/.
>>
>>627602
>>627602
No DEET where I live, and there's not a single repellent worth its salt.

Can you make it or is it a specialized lab product of sorts?
>>
>>627630
Where do you live that DEET is not available?
>>
File: 0000483072936222_lrg_a.jpg (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
0000483072936222_lrg_a.jpg
50KB, 400x400px
>>627632
Nevermind there's this thing I hadn't used since I was little that apparently does contain DEET but it smells worse than chloride.
>>
>>627643
That's what the bugs think too. There's a reason it is still sold and used worldwide despite the health warnings and smell.
>>
File: MUSKOL-2.jpg (64KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
MUSKOL-2.jpg
64KB, 330x500px
>>627572

DEET master race reporting in.
>>
Depending on how long you're planning on being out, it can be better to just not use anything. I think a week is about that threshold.

Constantly applying any chemical to your skin is going to be dangerous, whereas I find that after a few days, I stop reacting to bites anyway. Not that anyone will take my advice, but I just wanted you all to know I think you're pussies.
>>
>>627713

this

unless you're chillin in the op pic
>>
>>627596
This, hippy stuff is fine and all, but nothing is near as effective as DEET, and anybody who claims so is a liar.
>>
Avon Skin-So-Soft lotion and bath oil works pretty damn good at repelling mosquitoes if you're concerned about slathering DEET on yourself or your children.
>>
Any lotion with cocoa butter and/or coconut oil (preferably both) keeps your skin extremely healthy and both of those components are natural bug repellents. It is my preferred method and works quite well.
>>
>>627713
says someone who's never experienced truly heavy insects

I've been in some gnarly blackfly swarms in central BC and it is unbearable without some kind of repellent
>>
>>628080
Well, maybe they're worse over where you're at, I don't know. I do know that the lake I spend most of my summer at is a slow-drain spring-fed lake and that there's so many mosquitoes there that the fish don't know what to do with worms and powerbait. They'll snap up a fly without thinking twice, though.
>>
>>628080
Honestly, I've never noticed much problem with mosquitoes and gnats, especially with bug repellant, it's deer fly that get me. There's no fucking way too keep them off me. They'll bite right through a long sleeve shirt, and just fly against bug net hoods until they're close enough to bite. They also don't give a fuck about deet or any form of areal repellent. And the fuckers hurt, too.
>>
>>627589
spiders are repelled by peppermint
>>
>>628012
As I always say about medicine in general, mild nature products first, harsh chemicals second. It would be silly to lather yourself in DEET without trying less toxic methods first, but it would be outright stupid to cling to natural products that just don't work for you.
>>
>that fucking picture

For the love of God, why would you do that?
>>
When I was in college I spent a few weeks in the Amazon rainforest in Ecuador in a cabin study and collecting stuff.

I brought along the super powerful 99% DEET. Everyone else had that crappy pleb camping tier bug repellent that was only like 3-10% DEET.

All my friends got eaten alive by bugs but I was sitting happy. They begged me to share, but I only had enough to last me for the trip.

I swear, DEET is the best stuff.

The only downside was when I put it directly on my skin it blocked my sweat pores and stopped me from sweating, so I would get heatstroke if I wasn't pouring water on me throughout the day. Also that stuff was so strong it melted the plastic of whatever it touched.

It was much better than literally being covered in bugs all day.
>>
>>629051
Okay i don't normally come on this board, i just saw this on the front page.. But what the FUCK is that in that picture.
>>
>>629057
Feet, and mosquitoes. Lots and lots of mosquitoes.
>>
File: quatermass_and_the_pit.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
quatermass_and_the_pit.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>629057
Giant Katydid, Stilpnochlora couloniana
>>
File: xeno bug.jpg (272KB, 3240x1809px) Image search: [Google]
xeno bug.jpg
272KB, 3240x1809px
Permethrin is where it is at. Apply it to clothing and it repels mosquitos for multiple washings. Apply that shit to your blanket and backpack.
Back it up with DEET, and bugs will run in fear.
>>
>>628074
>cocoa butter repels mosquitoes
>even biting insects are racist
"Black people smell," is usually cocoa butter.
>>
>>628137
Let me say, fuck deer flies. One time, my dad and I went to a spot to fish that we had been to a multitude of times before, and the whole site was overrun by deer flies. I looked over and his hat was crawling, and just as I was about to tell him, my skin starts getting raped by the little fuckers. Not a good experience.
>>
>>629075
Do not do if you plan to be around cats.
>>
picaridin is a viable alternative to DEET. It has much less smell and isn't as oily.

I use 99% DEET deep woods Off when I'm in seriously buggy areas, other times I use a picaridin based spray, which smells better.
>>
File: 1350572761961.jpg (384KB, 1920x1310px) Image search: [Google]
1350572761961.jpg
384KB, 1920x1310px
>>627589
>>627593
Note that essential oils aren't good to put on bare skin, even mixed with water. If you mix em in milk they'll be fine, I forget what else you can mix them with to neutralize it binding to your shit.
>>
>>627572
I put deet on my fishing rod as well as myself. Mosquitos love panther Martins on a 4# line as much as the trout.
>>
>>629157
They are generally diluted with a carrier oil, like a vegetable based oil, coconut oil works too.

I know this because every fucking idiot housewife on my Facebook is selling oil, promoting how they cure cancer, and are "all natural". Even though the ONLY people who advocate them are the people selling it to them.
>>
>>629051
Nigga how did you put 99% DEET on your skin? That shit burns.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.