[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /out/, I'm in the process of re-building my first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Flag_of_the_Red_Cross.svg.png (11KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_the_Red_Cross.svg.png
11KB, 2000x1333px
Alright /out/, I'm in the process of re-building my first aid kit. I spend most of my time in central Ontario, Restoule-North Bay area. Sometimes out for week long stretches. What would you carry on you?
>>
Probably heroin
>>
Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Adhesive bandages
Lugols's iodine
Irrigation syringe
>>
>>627516
I forgot diphenhydramine or whatever antihistamine you desire.
>>
(in addition to the aforementioned)
Tweezers, burn cream, superglue or needle/thread, antibiotic of choice for longer trips to fight bacterial infection if needed. Fish flox is my preferred antibiotic carry for extended /out/. Ace bandages and gauze.
>>
Cornstarch/baking powder mix and superglue.

The powder mix makes an anti-microbial clotting agent (also good for preventing blisters and rashes) and the superglue is good for closing smaller cuts that you don't want to get infected but don't want to waste a bandage on.
>>
Vet Wrap
>>
>>627511
This. Well, I don't like chemical additives, so I'd use opium. Not only is it a great painkiller, but also an antidiuertic. Codeine, morphine and hydrocodone work almost as well, and most codeine comes with Tylenol, so it also works as a fever reducer.

Antibiotics. Fishmox is a good one to have. Its exactly the same thing you'd get at a pharmacy, except doesn't require a prescription.

One or two airplane bottles of good ol' white lightnin'. Use it for sterilization, extra fuel for an alcohol stove, or drink on the way back to the truck. Please sterilize responsibly.

Sutures. A sewing needle and thread is not sutures, it will pull, and it will hurt a lot. Get sutures.

Alum. From the grocer. Nothing clots a wound faster.

Gauze, wraps, bandages, antibiotic ointment, antihistamines, antidiuertic, all the other basic stuff you'd expect, that should go without mentioning.
>>
>>627510
Doxycycline or other broad spectrum antibiotics. Ask your doctor for a prescription tho, they're limited due to retards abusing them.
>>
I'm a paramedic, so I have some experience in this area. Honestly just some basic wound treatments, some antihistamines, few tylenol, tweezers... you don't need much else. Carry moleskin for blisters, some gauze wrap, band aids, antibiotic ointment... basic stuff.

If you're injured bad enough to die from your injuries, a first aid kit won't really help you. If you're worried, you can carry a commercial tourniquet to stop serious bleeding. Before anyone tries to say they're bad.... They're not. We now carry them by law in every ambulance because they've been proven to be effective with little risk of losing a limb. Remember though, they should only be used if your other option is bleeding to death. Most bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure held for several minutes at least.

Antibiotics would only be useful outdoors if you're out for weeks at a time without being able to return to civilization. If you're injured bad enough to need antibiotics, you should be returning out of the woods by then anyways. Antibiotics will take several doses over days to effectively work. For just minor cuts, antibiotic ointment will work. For weekend or overnight trips, don't worry about antibiotics. If you're taking them, you can get serious diarrhea as well, and can further complicate a bad situation as well. Use them with caution.
>>
File: 20150728_215511.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150728_215511.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>627884
Samefag, this is My kit. I have more than I need because I carry enough for 4-5 people, as in a paramedic, when we hike it's kind of my area of expertise.

REMEMBER a basic first aid class is more valuable than ANYTHING you can carry in a first aid kit. First aid is useless if used incorrectly.
>>
>>627884
I'd go with this plus some triangular bandages on case of splint, plus you can use it for other stuff
>>
The thing I use the most out of my Hiking FA kit is ibuprofen and moleskin. Make sure you have both.
>>
>>627884
I agree with the fact that people need to know how and when to use first aid, which is probably why basis kits are so... basic. But antibiotics, if used correctly can be the difference between life and death, you shouldn't dismiss it. All it would take is a broken leg, and suddenly you have to deal with pain, decreased mobility and infection. If you can't fix all three of those issues, you're not getting home. Or I'm not, and a couple other guys who would be gone for weeks or months before anyone was expecting to hear from us. If you're within earshot of a public campground, totally different story.
>>
>>627884
Off topic question here

How do you like being a paramedic? I'm thinking of taking the course and wondering if you have any input or advice you can give. I've already done firefighter training, and I feel paramedic training will both help firefighting chances and leave me with two career options.
>>
>>627906
Second this guy, planning on taking EMT in a few months
>>
>>627896
Which is why I said they would be useful if gone for long periods of time. Never said they weren't useful at all.
>>
>>627906
>>627971

I've been doing it for about 12 years, and I def enjoy it, but if I had to do it over, I may choose a different career path.

It's pretty stressful. Not just the whole "life and death" part either. You're always working an odd schedule, so your sleep suffers. I have shift sleep disorder from my job because the schedule is so weird. It's also emotionally draining at times. When you have to tell an old man, that's been married 65 years, that his wife is dead, it can really fuck with your head a week layer at 3 AM when you can't sleep.

I think as a part time job, I would enjoy it MUCH more. Quite a few of our employees work a different job, that pays better, and do the paramedic gig as a side job. It's fun for them, less stress, and they enjoy it more.

I won't ever tell anyone NOT to, just make sure you're prepared for the little stuff that's stressful.
>>
>>627884
>If you're worried, you can carry a commercial tourniquet to stop serious bleeding. Before anyone tries to say they're bad.... They're not. We now carry them by law in every ambulance because they've been proven to be effective with little risk of losing a limb.
Yeah, you won't lose the limb as long as you're in a trauma centre within an hour of application. That said, losing a limb is still infinitely preferable to dying from massive blood loss.
>>
>>627884
>>628622
It may be worth mentioning why most people recommend not using a tourniquet... because most people don't know how to use them correctly.

Tourniquets should ONLY be used when direct pressure isn't capable of stopping the bleeding, and when used, they need to be loosened to allow blood flow for 1 minute every fifteen minutes. Without that blood flow, the limb will die.

>>628521
You're absolutely correct. I don't know how I missed that, and I sincerely apologize.
>>
>>628664
>they need to be loosened to allow blood flow for 1 minute every fifteen minutes
What?!?!?!?
So, you should allow them to bleed out in three doses over 45 minutes rather than , I dunno, not have them bleed out because you have a fucking tourniquet?
>>
>>628672
Otherfag here. That's an older protocol, but it's legit. Calm the fuck down.

BTW, this conversation has veered wildly off on a tangent where even existing codes are highly variable, even more so in a remote setting.
>>
Current practice with tourniquets is to limit the time with them to less than 2 hours, however there have been cases of tourniquets being used 5-8 hours with no loss of limb.

Remember, if you apply a tourniquet, it's to save your life. You apply it when the alternative is death. While studies show that there will not be much damage to the limb, you have to assume worst case scenario, and that there is risk that limb will not be viable.

Direct pressure can stop almost all bleeding. Especially any injury you'd get /out/. Tourniquets use has been reinforced in civilian use after military studies. When your leg is blown off by an IED, tourniquets work. If you slip on a stump and cut your hand on a rock, you can stop the bleeding with direct pressure.
>>
>>628526
Appreciate the advice man, all sounds solid to me. Part of the reason I started this path was because I know I can handle stress well, have a good support system/etc. So I'm looking forward to continuing, but also happy to hear any words of wisdom from the older guys. Appreciate it man, and thanks for doing what you do
>>
North Bay eh, small world. I go to school there. There are a few courses offered throughout town in wilderness first aid, I suggest you check them out.
>>
>>628895
Man, I like giving advice, but damn I'm not used to being called an "older guy" lol.

I'm 31, sure don't feel that old. I guess I am though.
>>
>>629105
31 isn't old, just older than me. I still feel like I'm young for the career, I'm only 20
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.