[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it completely retarded/impossible to try to live in a parked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Is it completely retarded/impossible to try to live in a parked RV full time in Alaska? I just got here about a month ago. In the specific town I'm moving to, your only options are fancy and super expensive vacation rentals, and I don't want or need anything that big or nice. I actually love the idea of living in such a confined space. Granted that I could find a spot with hookups, what all would need to be done? I really don't know what I'm doing at all.
>>
What town do you live in? I live in Fairbanks, it'd be hard to live in an RV with such harsh winters but if you're a bit more south then it should be doable. People live in much worse, trailers are fine
>>
>>626692
>keep a shitload of blankets inside
>cover windows with something(Curtains, blankets)
>supplemental heating that won't catch you on fire (tough one)

>cover outside maybe
>hang blankets on walls i guess
>winterize the fuck outta everything

tl;dr cover fucking everything and youurself in blankets to make your whole rv a fucking blanket burrito
>>
>>626693
I want to move to some place far north eventually and I'm thinking either Barrow, somewhere in Yukon, somewhere in Nunavut, or north Greenland.

Do you have any experience with the farther north areas like Prudhoe Bay or Barrow? I had to cut a lot of meat out of my diet for health reasons and I'm wondering how hard it is to get vegetarian food up there. I heard that Barrow is extremely expensive but that they also pay much higher wages up there to make up for it, so I'm curious as to whether it evens out.

I know that in Nunavut or north Greenland, I would have to set up some sort of greenhouse on stilts, and I'm not sure how feasible that is. Ideally, I would like to live on Ellesmere Island, but I think Grise Fiord is the only community north of Resolute Bay, and I don't really wanna live there.

Also, I'm not white but I'm not black. Are Alaskans racist? I usually get dirty looks from older people if I visit places like Virginia or Florida, and so far I've gotten the impression that white, rural Alaskans aren't much different. How often do you get to see auroras? And would Labrador retrievers need a winter dog jacket?
>>
File: tumblr_mvlambsmJM1qhewlro1_500.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvlambsmJM1qhewlro1_500.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
>>626707
>I had to cut a lot of meat out of my diet for health reasons and I'm wondering how hard it is to get vegetarian food up there.
ask a waiter up there to make you something vegetarian and by law he has to punch you in the face.
>>
>>626707
> veg

When I think of a lush vegatable garden I usually think north of the Arctic Circle, so yeah.
>>
>>626764
You do realize that yes, the long summer days in the yukon make amazing gardens right?
>>
>>626769
You do realize the Yukon river does not flow north of the Arctic Circle?
>>
>>626707
>not white or black

So that leaves gook, kike, woowoo or abo
>>
>>626780
Woo woo? What about cholo, Creole, mullato, Latino, moors, whops.

I mean when you say white, you mean English, French or German, right? That kinda leaves a lot of ethnic groups to choose from...
>>
>>626794
Woowoos are American Indians.

Cholos, creoles,mullatos and moors are just hybrids of whites/blacks/woowoos. Wops are Italians and thus white.

By white I mean Caucasian
>>
>>626707
I've never been to barrow but through what people who have lived there told me, I wouldn't live there. There's just nothing to do and it's windy, which makes the cold a lot worse.
Being a vegetarian wouldn't be impossible but it would be much harder, there's only one grocery store and all the prices are super high but if you have a job there, the wages should be fine. Here in Fairbanks, things are about $2 on average more expensive than anything down in the lower 48, but even a McDonald's minimum wage job pays $10.50, which is over the state minimum wage.

I don't have much experience in Yukon or Nunavut but I imagine it being a similar experience.

Alaskans aren't racist at all, I'm neither white nor black as well and I have yet to see anyone give me a dirty look or just give me a hard time. I usually experience the opposite; strangers strike up conversations with me, smile at me, and are willing to help at the drop of a hat (that usually goes for white people, native Alaskans don't really do that).

In Fairbanks, you can see the Aurora just about every night, given it isn't cloudy. This last week it's been cloudy all day/night and I haven't had the chance to see them, but man, they're gorgeous.

I would probably recommend your Labrador to get a winter jacket, the only dogs that don't need one are dogs that are naturally from the north, like huskies.
>>
>>626894
Thanks for the answers. I would definitely be getting a job there if I ended up moving there, preferably something in healthcare, so I'm guessing that I'd earn enough to buy the overpriced veggies. I had to cut back on meat because otherwise, I start shitting blood. For some reason, people go fucking apeshit when you say you don't each much meat as if the size of your balls is proportional to how many hamburgers you inhale daily.

I thought Yukon would be slightly easier since it's more boreal than tundra, although my goal is to get as close to the tundra as possible. For some reason, I thought Barrow would be less windy than most other places. I can't stand the wind so I guess that kind of rules out living there.

I had no idea that the aurora was a nightly thing. I assumed that they only happened on rare occasions, but that's awesome that you can see them so often provided that it isn't overcast. I thought about getting a Canadian Eskimo dog once I moved up there as long as I could afford it, but I'll make sure to bring some dog jackets for my Lab.

I hope that I can move out there soon. Alaska and the northern territories are mesmerizing. Thanks again for the response.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.