[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At Lake Ontario, do I help this fish? Throw him upstream?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
At Lake Ontario, do I help this fish? Throw him upstream? Please help me now
>>
Rochester NY sc/out/ here.
You get him to a less polluted lake.
Or pick him up and let him into the lake.
>>
>>623070
why would you throw away you dinner?
>>
>>623081
You don't wanna eat anything from Lake Ontario especially near the shore.
Loads of unknown pollutants thanks to Kodak and such.
>>
>>623070
if a fish that size beached itself it's already on the way out. just leave it. it's going to die no matter what you do.

it's actually probably happiest where it is, since oxygenated water is flowing past its gills and it's too weak to swim. if you move it to slower moving water it will probably suffocate.
>>
>>623085
It may not have beached itself, it may have gotten stuck between tides.
>>
>>623088
that's a bigass fish with plenty of water to maneuver in. it's there because it wants to be there.
>>
>>623090
agreed it's probably trying to get to one of the creeks/canals/rivers, just saying it may have gone right before tide change.
>>
>What is spawning for $1000 Alex?
>>
>>623088
>>623094
Tides?

Jesus /out/...

>>623070
>At Lake Ontario
>>
>>623100
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/loofs/loofs.html
>>
>>623106
>http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/loofs/loofs.html
>largest tides caused by the combined forces of the sun and moon, is less than five centimeters in height. These minor variations are masked by the greater fluctuations in lake levels produced by wind and barometric pressure changes. Consequently, the Great Lakes are considered to be non-tidal.
>>
>>623112
goddammit. right link: http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html
>>
>>623112
>what is someone who doesn't like by the lake
>>
>>623100
dubs for being wrong.

I was taught in school that the Great Lakes do have true tides.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html

BTW in the last few days the Tides across the north and eastern part of the state have been the strongest they have been all year. Meaning that the high tide could have been a foot or two higher in the great lakes region, then they were all year. In my state the tide was 2 feet higher at ocean level because of the strong tide over the past few days.
>>
>>623112
>>623114
>>623115
Just because it is considered non tidal, doesn't mean that there are periods where the tide gets ordinarily high. There is a difference between "being considered tidal" and having a "true tide"

Great lakes do infact have a "true tidal pattern" but it is ordinarily very small change, however it can change to unordinary heights on some days.
>>
>>623115
>what is your anecdotal opinion vs scientific truth
>>
>>623117
>>623118
someone gets it
>>
>>623118
>doesn't mean that there are periods where the tide gets ordinarily high

what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>623122
that our weather and rainfall is unpredictable
>>
>>623124
yeah, nah, whole sentence is fucked. transpose the "not", then explain what the fuck "ordinarily high" means in this context.

>does mean that there are not periods where the tide gets ordinarily high
>>
>>623129
do you live on the shores of update or canana for the lake?
>>
>>623117

>I was taught in school that the Great Lakes do have true tides.

I was taught in school that evolution is a fact when actually it's an unproven theory.
>>
File: hehhehheh.png (109KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
hehhehheh.png
109KB, 266x189px
>>623130
>mfw you're so mad you can't even into english anymore
>>
>>623122
I meant unordinarily fucking auto correct.

>>623131
it has what is called a "true tide" where the water level is effected, but only very slightly.
>>
>>623122
>Just because it is considered non tidal, doesn't mean that there aren't periods where the tide gets unordinarily high.

That is what I meant, my apologies.
>>
>>623140
that makes more sense. apology accepted. but be more careful in the future.
>>
File: IMG_8439[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8439[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys, OP here. I managed to get the fish back into the lake, but if what you guys said was true about him wanting to go upstream, then he might be dead.....
He swam off and kicked a lot in my hands, I hope he's ok.
>>
>>623141
I will be, thanks.
>>
File: IMG_8423[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8423[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
It was a beautiful day out.....
>>
I was at Lake Ontatio too but I think it was too late for my fish. :-(
>>
File: dedfish-2015-11-02.jpg (221KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
dedfish-2015-11-02.jpg
221KB, 1000x667px
>>623282
forgot fish...
>>
>>623143
>fish
>kicked

Flopped maybe?
>>
File: DSC_0999-2015-11-02.jpg (184KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0999-2015-11-02.jpg
184KB, 1000x667px
>>623145
It was an amazing day.
>>
Fish was obviously spawning op. I cant tell id people in this thread are trolling or genuinely this clueless about the outdoors.
>>623287
Kicking is a extremely common phrase in regards to fish.
Sometimes i wonder if you guys even go /out/ at all and are just gear fags...
>>
>>623070
I don't understand this human need to "help" nature. That fish was doing just fine.

My neighbor told me a story this summer where she watched where a snapping turtle laid it's eggs and thought it was in a bad spot. So she dug them up and moved them. Than when they hatched she thought they were struggling so she performed cpr on tiny fucking turtles!

Moral of the story is leave nature the fuck alone, they know what they are doing and if they die in the process so be it.
>>
>>623070
you should have eaten that fucking thing.
>>
>>623414
to hold this opinion you need to hold the following two assertions.
1. that humans are separate from the rest of nature and not a part of it
and...
2. that common traits of human nature (for example, to do good by our surroundings and to want to put things into order) isn't natural.

who is it who's really interfering with nature anon? OP, or you?
>>
>>623414
:/
Sorry anon, I don't know much about what animals do. My initial reaction was to help the animal. I hope me helping didn't actually hurt the guy in anyway.....
>>
>>623070
spawning steelhead by the looks of it. Timing seems about right. Just leave it where it is. It might well be spawning there on the bed because of the flow of oxygen to the spot for the eggs.
>>
>>623131
so do you not believe in gravity? must me tough trying to hold yourself down everywhere you go
>>
>>623419
what is the difference between fishing season and spawning season
>>
>>623143
You fucking mongoloid that was a steelhead running up stream for part of the spawning or feeding cycle. Quit fucking with shit you don't understand.
>>
>>623124
Rainfall is not tide. Its more water in the whole lake
>>
>>624231
Lake Ontario has a seiche with a period of around 5 hours, and sometimes wind set-up piles up water at one end.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.