[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I know a lot of folks here have such nice things to say about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 14450278260691792808306.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
14450278260691792808306.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
So I know a lot of folks here have such nice things to say about brands like timberland, merrel, Solomon and Columbia. And it seems /k/'s favorite flavors are Bates, belville, and danners....

But what about all the other brand of hiking boots you see at places like Big5 and Sports authority. Bearpaw, Denali, itasca, and Hi-Tec are a few that I see for reasonable inexpensive prices. But what is /out/ experience with such brands? Any recommendations or horror stories.

All I'm looking for is a waterproof, all black workshoe that could also be used comfortable trekking from work in a SHTF scenario. I want the shoe/boot that is reliable and worth the moneys. My limit is about $100 but I don't mind going over $20-$30
>>
Let me correct myself
Color is not so important, and neither is brand. I just need a good pair of a boots/shoes that will last me more than 2 years
>>
i like asolo tps. very comfortable, dry quickly, waterproof

on extended hikes with shit on your back they quickly begin to feel like an extension of your leg/foot and it's almost like you arent even wearing a boot.

Often they would be the last thing i would take off after setting up camp b/c my crocs were only moderately more comfortable (though much more breathable)
>>
My brother wears hi-tec boots for work, and for hiking. He seems to like them. I can't vouch for them personally.

Merrell Moabs are an /out/ favorite and can be had for around $120. I have a pair and love them. Merrell often has other shoes at mall shoe stores like "shoe dept" and they're pretty nice.

/k/ boot choices are fine for work, but bad for hiking. Danner are awesome boots but not exactly hiking boots. I wear all black Timberland work boots (very similar to bates/galls brand), and tried hiking in them once. 2 mile hike and my feet hated it.
>>
Salomons are the yardstick by which inferior boots are measured. It's nice that there are alternative options, but I really see no need to play around with lesser footwear.
>>
File: IMAG0101.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0101.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Any experience with Under Armor's boots? I might go with Valsetz 7", but it looks a bit too tacti-cool for my taste. Reasearching online it's has everything I might need... But the way it looks makes me feel it Might suck for out-related activities
>>
>>612734
Actually, the more I look at it the more I'm leaning away from it. I mean sure it would accomplish my goal for a work boot, but I guess I want something more... Conservative?
>>
>>612651
I love my Redwings, although they're probably outside of your price range.

Still cheaper than Danner.
>>
I have a pair of Magnum work boots ( the fire/police dress ones) and I did a bunch of hikes with them (longest was a 46k day hike).

I have to say, they are great boots. They've protected my feet while working a ton of times, and they're comfy as hell. They can be pricy, but worth it.
>>
>>612674
> agreed and /thread
>>
Soloman Quest 2 4d gtx
>>
Hmmm.. I think I'll keep shopping around. The waterproof/water resistant is important though
>>
In my general experience, the stuff you get at Dick's or Big 5 is fine if you only need it to last for a season or two.

I was a boot fitter for a number if years and I usually explained it to my customers in three categories.

1. 1-2 season stuff. Usually ~$100, good for budget or beginner.

2. Multi-season. $100-$200/$250. Usually lasts 2-5 years, maybe more with good care. Merrell, Salomon, Vasque, etc

3. 5+ years/rest of your life. High build and material quality, a lot of them can be resoled. Will last freaking forever with proper care. Asolo, Danner, Zamberlan, etc. Usually made in the US or Europe.

You kind of have to look at ROI on your investment. A pair of Asolo 520 costs three times as much as a pair of Keens, but will last 5-10 times as long with proper care.
>>
>>612651
I have waterproof hi-tec with membrane for moisture and I need to say they are great. My foots are no longer sweating, they comfy and really waterproof. Only thing you need to remember is to wax them once a week or two and they really water resistant. I use them from fall to the beginning of spring. Last weekend I was on mushroom gathering in woods and it was rainy day. When I came back my feets was dry and warm.
>>
File: P1060159-2014-10-29 (Medium).jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1060159-2014-10-29 (Medium).jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
>>614871
I have Hi-Tec Altitudes (it was finally time to replace my old Raichles, and I wanted something broken in in time for last fall & didn't have time to research what's actually a good quality high end boot and what's overpriced chinashit these days). I am pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>612651
I gave $30 6 years ago for a pair of colmbia ridge line 2 boots and had to retire them last year. Great value in a boot. Currently using Henry survivors because they been gifted to me. Trying to be less a gear queer and just make things work.
>>
Shop used gear stores, seriously. I got my barely used timberland pro series at one for $25. They have lasted years and I've had them resoled once already.
>>
Am I the only one who has boots that are 6+ years old and still going strong ?
Worn everyday unless I'm kayaking

Christ I love them so much I bought a second pair for when these. Eventually die
3d set of laces is almost gone though
>>
>>614920
You are not. Routine maintenance is hard for some people I guess.
>>
>>614920
>>614940
It also depends on the boot. A lot of cheaper boots and shoes have an inevitable expiration date, regardless of how well you maintain them.
>>
>>614920
have some Carhartts as my work boot. Utter shit unless you're on smooth, dry concrete in a controlled temp warehouse.

avoid at all costs
>>
>>612651
I have a pair of Lowas GTX-8s. , they are over 300 bucks though.
>>
>>614920
>>614956
Fabric shoes last me at most 2 years, and that's pushing it, but my leather Raichles lasted over 10 years (until I got lazy about maintaining them one hot dry dusty summer doing field work, and the leather started to crack).
>>
>>612651
most boots with a membrane will start letting in water after around 5000 steps. get some leather boots without insulation and keep them waxed, use with wool socks. light, dry enough with maintenance and relatively cheap. cheap fabric shoes will start falling apart within a year of daily use.
>>
Hey out I recently bought a pair of Merrell waterpro maipo, they're really comfy with the exception of the heel which keeps rubbing my heel. Should I exchange it or just break it in? Also the lacing system looks flimsy should I swap it for moabs or will this last me 2years without breaking?
>>
Any recommendation on these ones?
http://www.gronell.it/gb/tradition/tradition.html#
>>
Do you guys have a recommendation for a good pair of hiking boots under 200 canuck bucks? I'm a beginner and don't really know which brands to look out for
>>
Who knows of a light-weight, water-proof and warm boot/shoe (on a not-so-bulky side like the Hi-Tecs) that I could wear every day in the winter, both casually and for lots of suburbian walking? I'm currently using suede Adidas skating shoes, and my feet get wet after spending a good amount of time in snow/rain.

Currently looking at these, but the reviews about the insole are a little discouraging: http://www.merrell.com/US/en/polarand-rove-waterproof/17425M.html?dwvar_17425M_color=J21127#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1
>>
>>622050
Also breathability is a plus!
>>
anyone have any info on leather boots? got maybe a 300 dollar budget. looking for some boots that are durable but look good too
>>
>>623042
There are lots of options in that price range. Danner, Red Wing,Asolo, Zamberlan, Meindl, etc.

Your best bet is to shopping around and actually trying boots in. A $300 all leather boot is useless if it doesn't fit you.
>>
>>612750
What type of Redwings do you have? Been thinking of getting a pair myself.
>>
>>612674
Seconding Salomon. I've heard good things about Vasque as well.
>>
I have a pair of hi-tec hiking boots. I've used them all spring, summer, and fall. The lip on the front right boot is starting to detach, so I'm going to glue it back with epoxy. Other than that, they've held up well considering I've used them so much.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.