[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You will never sail the seven seas in search of gold, tea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

File: 7 zs.jpg (101KB, 950x606px) Image search: [Google]
7 zs.jpg
101KB, 950x606px
>You will never sail the seven seas in search of gold, tea and tobacco
>feels

Where can one find "adventure" in 2015 aside from Treeplanting
>>
File: Endurance3.jpg (43KB, 333x441px) Image search: [Google]
Endurance3.jpg
43KB, 333x441px
>>606026
Feels good, man.
>>
>>606026
Space? I don't fucking know use your imagination.
>>
File: CSSAlabama.jpg (58KB, 740x571px) Image search: [Google]
CSSAlabama.jpg
58KB, 740x571px
>>606026
this is a huge feel for me. There no place to go to that's a true "adventure"
>>
File: 1436932463650.jpg (74KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
1436932463650.jpg
74KB, 400x387px
>tfw my ancestors circumnavigated half of the world.
>>
File: 1437633294872.jpg (883KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1437633294872.jpg
883KB, 1920x1080px
>>606036
tfw my ancestors protected Europe from the Muslim invasion so your ancestors can circumnavigate half the world.
>>
File: lain.png (407KB, 653x519px) Image search: [Google]
lain.png
407KB, 653x519px
>>606041
tfw my ancestors took over England in the eleventh century and introduced all this stupid fucking spelling that we have while we were trying to be Gaulic-French, and later went on to imperialize almost the entire world.
>>
>>606041
Magyar?
>>
find the least used and longest trail in your state, then backpack it at a medium pace.

if you're really seeking an experience, do it during winter.
>>
Adventure now usually comes down to doing the most dangerous and reckless shit just for the sake of it. Like those russian/ukrainian people who freeclimb buildings and shit. Crossing cape horn on winter on a tiny sailboat. Alaskan wilderness while naked. etc etc.

Gotta either go back hundreds of years or go forward hundreds of years for true adventure
>>
>>606031
No doubt what a bunch of whiney bitches up in this thread

Adventure doesn't mean being first or doing stupid, reckless shit. A gram of brain matter and imagination would solve this non-existent lack of adventure.
>>
>>606026
Just go travel. Trek through Patagonia or cross the Russia in the trans-Siberian train.
>>
>>606026
fly to remote place
Walk home
done
>>
>>606055
It's not really aa sense of adventure they're craving, it's a sense of importance.
>>
>>606026
>you will never die from scurvy, or malnutrition, or sepsis from a sliver you got climbing up the topsails
>>
>>606026
Trainhop/hitchhike the US. It's adventurous as fuck. Had more ups and downs and crazy shit happen in a year of doing that than the rest of my life combined.
>>
File: 1424952804470.jpg (109KB, 800x908px) Image search: [Google]
1424952804470.jpg
109KB, 800x908px
>>606089
you humble psychiatrist
>>
>>606036
>>606041
> circumnavigate
> half

Kek.
>>
>>606030
I came in here to post that
>>
>>606030
>>606146
narated by Liam Neeson
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyQRHHHXntc
>>
File: 97297096_asterix_222965b.jpg (79KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
97297096_asterix_222965b.jpg
79KB, 780x520px
>>606042
imagine a world where france and britain would have been buddies instead of getting in each other's way for centuries ...
>>
>>606026
Join the space program
>>
i am serious thinking about learning how to fly airplanes and move to africa to deliver odd cargos of old soviet weapos to the needy warlords
>>
Gold prospector trapper and bushpilot here, jack of all trades really. I love my life!
>>
>buy a busted old sailboat
>fix it
>learn to sail it
>???
>profit
>>
>>606241
i see youve also seen "lord of war"
>>
>>606241
>>606265
I see neither of you have heard of ITAR.

>>606249
You da man!
>>
>>606041
? Germans, Russians? Muslim invasion on the Europe, You know muslims owned quite big part of the Europe so about which invasion You're talking about?
>>
>>606089
underrated post, it's the same feeling when someone have watching other ppl pictures from distant travels and have feels, yea it's nice to go see something that You don't see each day but #bitchgetreal, these are only moments, You can have good times and "trips" in Your very close area
>>
Become a gourmet coffee/chocolate importer. You will have ample opportunity to travel to tropical hell-holes and deal with warlords and slavers.
>>
that guy sailing to antarctica on a 27 foot sailboat or those people rowing across oceans you can do whatever
>>
>>606047
Psssshaw.

Adventure is fucking everywhere around us, if you do some simple math you'll find that

>People divided by square miles of earth

Leaves us with about 35 people per square mile (7bil divided by 200mil) of earth. Seems like alot right? But then......

>3% of earth's landmass is urban areas
>53% of earth's population lives in urban areas

So for the sake of easy numbers, we'll say 5% of earth is cities, and 50% of our population lives in cities. So we're left with

>3.5 billion people in 190,000,000 square miles

Or about 18 people per square mile, then consider that only counts "Urban" areas as concentrations of humans, excluding towns and villages etc etc. Realistically speaking, there is a fuck ton of adventure to be had....... anyone who thinks otherwise just hasn't opened their eyes.
>>
>>606026
High mountains (above 4500m) and trad climbing.
>>
>>606290
probably serbian or austrian

and what "big part" are you talking about ? south of spain and parts of the baltic area ?
>>
>>606089
To be fair, most "adventurers" were massive egotists who felt the need to tell the entire world about what they did, usually through literature or physical artifacts.

Why else do you think people would trek across Antarctica? Because they like ice and cold? No, it's because they want to do something that will make them unique and "important."
>>
>>606026
>Where can one find "adventure" in 2015

Do an adventure sport. Mountain Biking, Climbing, Whitewater Kayaking, Parasailing, Kite Boarding, Snowboarding/Skiing

All of these things are fun, enable you meet a bunch of cool people, and take you to places you'd never thought you would go before. Half of having an adventure is seeking out new experiences, which what all these sports are about.
>>
File: Snowmobile_Babes_3.jpg (141KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
Snowmobile_Babes_3.jpg
141KB, 720x576px
>>606422
>Snowmobiling
>Motorcycles
>>
>>606414
>To be fair, most "adventurers" were massive egotists
True, but they knew they were living in special era. They knew their names would be known for centuries to come if they were to succeed. They did it for the same reason people climb mountains, and, for immortality.

>something that will make them unique and "important."
Tbh most hipsters and applefags don't cross the Antarctic, correct me if I'm wrong. They're fucked every time they face the reality.
>>
>>606430
You make a good point I guess. As with many things, people are in love with the idea, not the execution. This is probably a side effect of the boredom and instant gratification culture that comes with middle-class western life.

I guess the only solution is to humble yourself and complete something from start to finish. Once you gain experience, you can enjoy "adventure" solely for the purpose of having new and exciting experiences.
>>
>>606269
Thanks bro! Tbh I don't regret not going to university, pretty much always have done my own thing. Only formal education I have was taking classes for flying
>>
>>606414
Sometimes it was simply their job to do.

Look at Alexander Mackenzie.
The first transcontinental exploration overland over a decade before Lewis and Clark (take note Amerifags).

He ended up publishing journals of his explorations which were very commercially successful, but was that his main motivation going into it? No; it was his job as an employee of the North West Company.

It just so happened his job was awesome.
>>
>>606458
>Alexander Mackenzie

Just a thought...... but you make it sound like his employment was kinda just a necessity to his life that was randomly dropped in his lap. He probably sook out a job like that with the knowledge that he'd be doing things like that.....

However, I have no actual clue so who the fuck am I to say? Just a counter point.
>>
>>606464

The fur trade was incredibly lucrative and coming from a privileged Scottish family, it was probably a damn good idea.

I have my doubts he knew where it would take him right away, but you're right that it's an adventurous line of work in general.
>>
>>606471

One could say that fur trade exploration is somewhat like modern day mining and oil and gas exploration.

OP, are you that dense you can't see any opportunities today for an adventurous career and/or lifestyle? You sir, are a massive faggot.
>>
>>606026
There's still plenty of fun and adventure to be had on the high seas, it's just that you have to do it on your own coin now, get a boat and learn to sail, work your way up to open seas sailing and then you can sail from country to country.
>>
>>606041
While I agree with the sentiment of that picture it is cringe worthy.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>606251
This is what I'm currently doing
>>
>>606422
You forgot scuba
>>
>>606425

This.

Get yourself some shitty street legal dirt bike or gs 500.

Youll learn to work on it.

You'll have hours in your mind, youll have the most serene rolling corners, ypull never lose that wuuh windswept feeling when you step off and pull off your helmet.

Buy a moto, fuck hanging out with anyone and just ride.
>>
>>606251
I am currently looking for a boat while learning to sail my friends catamaran.
>>
Hey op, buy/ build a boat
Learn to sail it
Do exactly what you described.

Adventure happened wherever you want it to, its a mindset not a task. Go and look for fucking treasure, diamonds off the coast of africa, opals in central australia, jade in china, gold dust off the coast of alaska, its there, you just need to be ballsy enough to go and get it. What you mention is just trade goods, and trade goods are just things that you can get, that other people want. Buy it cheap in one place, sail across the ocean and sell it expensive somewhere else.
>>
>>606626
> buy cheap
> sell expensive

B-bbut muh eye patch n mmuh parrot?1?

> mfw Arrrgh!
>>
>>606026
>>
>>606638
People always forget the ocean floor, no one ever thinks about exploring the ocean floor.

>>606633
fine, steal for free and sell expensive then. Or get yourself a letter of marque and steal shit on behalf of governments.
>>
>>606626
Implying you can just cruz to any country whenever you want in modern times. There's Navy, Coast Guards, international law; it's not like a few hundred years ago when you could just go to random uncontrolled parts of the world and fuck around.
>>
Bicycle touring.

Buy a bicycle and ride it across a continent where you don't speak the language.
>>
>>606648
All you need is a passport.

And in certain parts of the world you dont even need that, just enough cash to bribe the right people.
>>
>>606512
did this myself a few years back. totally gutted the rotten interior, redid the electrical and plumbing systems, installed a sink and stove. it was fun for a while but my engine kept failing me and there was very little wind in my location. good luck!
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarle_Andhoy
or this
http://iron-bark.blogspot.si/p/iron-barks-travels.html
>>
>>606026
Papua, Congo, amazon, Antarctica, any deserted island (there still is quite a few of them), space, a lot of mountain ranges, the bottom of the ocean. But obviously the most important part of adventure is having a goal so your best bet at having an adventure is to get involved in the life sciences and go out in search of exotic new species of plants and animals and doing research.
>>
>>606036
>tfw my ancestors circumnavigated half the world in prisons ships
>>
>>606648
not many people know but the amrrican coast guard and navy are legalized pirates. they can board any american vessel or non-flagged ship and search anyone and everything on board *anywhere in the world*. the 4th amendment dosnt apply to anyone on a ship, even if its 1 foot from american land. if you dont consent, they put you in prison. fuck those faggots.
>>
File: ship.jpg (125KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ship.jpg
125KB, 960x720px
>>606648

To a large degree you can. In maritime law there is the concept of 'innocent passage' meaning that you can take your boat just about anywhere as long as you're not doing it for commercial purposes like fishing. If you want to dock you generally only need a passport and even then it's not often checked
>>
>>606866
Now don't go tossing facts around, you'll damage their excuses.
>>
>>606865
Legalized piracy is one of the oldest functions of an organized naval force, going back thousands of years.

It's always been about controlling the flow of maritime trade.
>>
>>606684
Thanks! This one sunk at its mooring because of neglect(head fitting), looks like the previous owner bailed on it for a while beforehand. Interior, electrics, plumbing and a possible rerig all have to be done but she's seaworthy and was $500
>>
>>606905
Damn dude, that's alot of money for a boat that fucked. I've seen tons of free boats that were on the water ready to sail, usually could be brought to good livable conditions with 500 total.
>>
>>606971
where do you get free boats. why wouldnt they be for sale by the owner?
>>
> lost with all hands off the Bahamas
> search called off
> 33 souls
>>
>>606026
not quite the same but....

9 years as a Marine Engineer , much fun was had circumnavigating the globe a few times, discharging cargo ( Chemy tanker) in all sorts of random ( and often sketchy as fuck) places. many evenings spent pissed up watching the sunset leading to best horizon to horizon no light pollution stargazing ever ( UMS master race 4tw!) or creating random shit in the workshops, or obscene Xbox marathon play troughs of GTA & Elderscrolls epic trolling fishing, and over the side at jettys if allowed. genuinely have sailed through pirate infested waters and have had to have 'contractors' onboard along with like a week long radio silence ( which was a cunt coz it meant having to run around to the phone system) sailed through hurricane chantal in 2001 on my 1st trip, when I was a total shit for brains cadet and seeing a grreen flash a fortnight later..., I was baptised by Neptune gong over the damn IDL - fuck I've got more tales of funny daft shite than I can remember

all fucked up when I slipped 2 discs onboard.

now back in North Wales, land bound, and have to walk with a stick and 'retired' by 32.

If you get the chance to sail away into the big blue, fucking take it bros, best thing I ever did I miss it something fierce
>>
>>606971
Near me they all cost, you can't find free without more travel than I wanted. Besides, 500 bucks is not that much really.
>>
>>606993
Owners don't want to pay mooring anymore, tried selling it, didn't work, will give it away just to not pay for mooring/maintenance

It's pretty common. If you hang around a harbor in a big city for a while and get to know the people in there chances are you'll find one.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 590x369px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 590x369px
>>606026
What's stopping you anon?
>>
>>606026
Recreate the journey of Cornelius Rost. That should be quite the adventure.
>>
>>606026
Adventure is what you make of it. I messed up my back on the weekend so this week putting my socks on is an adventure.
>>
>>606055
Example of something "adventurous" you do then?
>>
File: 30$.jpg (792KB, 1287x965px) Image search: [Google]
30$.jpg
792KB, 1287x965px
>>606855
when knowingyou shouldnt laff,, makes you
laff all the harder., thanks.
>>606865
run drgs,, feel the adventure!
>>607107
>33 souls
lost!, ona desert island,, "this was suposed to be a 3 hour tour!!"
>>
Does anyone know of any of those programs where they put you on a boat going across the atlantic or around the caribbean while teaching you and a couple others how to sail it for yourself for a few months?

The only one I found was like 15,000 dollars, but it looked fun as fuck.
>>
>>607712
You can get a sea-worthy small boat for 15,000 and learn to sail it yourself.

Check out Red Dot on the Ocean. Its a documentary about a guy who singlehandedly sailed the entire American Continent without stopping once. Of course, he has thousands of hours of sailing behind him, but you know how he started? One day he said "fuck it, ima be a sailor" without even having been on a boat before in his life. He bought a sailboat and sailed it in the Carribean by himself, learning everything as he goes.

Literally no excuse, especially if youre willing to spend 15k for a shitty intro course filled with quarter and mid-life crises people.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.