[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here fish? I recently started fishing and holy shit have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 68

File: fishing.jpg (114KB, 862x568px) Image search: [Google]
fishing.jpg
114KB, 862x568px
Anyone here fish?

I recently started fishing and holy shit have I been missing out. It's peaceful and thrilling as fuck. Can anyone give me some tips?

Discuss catches,rods,lakes,ect.
>>
File: IMG_20150923_134950655.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150923_134950655.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
What's this? New <>< fishing general?

Awesome.

Caught these today, got a few more photos of other fish too, will post later.
>>
Here's a tip: Use the catalog. >>581684
>>
>>597973
While I agree, the thread is about to go past bump limit. We should congregate here after that event occurs
>>
>>597919
Where do you live, anon?

What have you been catching recently?
>>
>tfw local lakes are terribly overfished and kind of suck for fishing

Is driving an hour for decent ~10in Northern Pike fishing worth it? It seems like the only somewhat nearby lake worth fishing, and Northern Pike looks like a bunch of fun
>>
>>597998
>Is driving an hour for decent ~10in Northern Pike fishing worth it? It seems like the only somewhat nearby lake worth fishing, and Northern Pike looks like a bunch of fun
Sure if youre going to be out there all day, and you actually enjoy fishing. If you get frustrated 30 minutes into it and leave 45 minutes into it, then no it probably isnt.
>>
>>597983
Don't rule out shallows in the heat of summer or dead of winter. In the summer casting topwater lures to shaded banks can be very productive. Lily pads are prime as well. In the colder months the shallows can be some of the warmest spots by mid-day going into late afternoon. Rock beds and submerged timber, both of which can hold heat well, will be ideal spots when the weather gets cold. Try to find them on the water body's areas that receive the most sunlight throughout the day.

>>597979
>>597991
Look into "Siwash Hooks" if you're wanting to get rid of trebles.

>>597919
>rods
Abu Garcia mostly. Been really digging the Veritas 2.0 line. I've two 7' medium power rods, one reel lined for topwtaer and the other lined for jerkbaits, and another 7' medium "Winch" model for running my shallow diving crankbaits. A 6'9" MH Vengeance/Black Max combo is used for worms and football jigs. I also use a 7' MH Wright & McGill / Skeet Reese "Worm/Spinnerbait" rod for all my spinner and buzz baits. That's it for baitcasting setups. Still searching for the right rod for my deep-diving cranks, and I need to find a good spinning rod that's as sensitive as a Barkley AMP but without the crappy guides.
>>
File: nicepicky.png (810KB, 779x604px) Image search: [Google]
nicepicky.png
810KB, 779x604px
>>598005
I canoed over 3 miles to my pickerel spot today totally worth it.
Also northern pike are likely to get bigger than 10in so who know's you might land a trophy.

>>598040
I use St. Croix, got a few Okuma's too. But I have a problem with spending money on fishing gear. I do want to get my hands on a Veritas though, I hear they are really nice comfortable rods.

Scored this nice trophy today, big ol' pickerel. Trolled a rapala shadrap deep diver in about 20 feet of water, which was next to a steep drop off with a weed bed at the drop off, did circles and hooked up.
>>
File: canoe.png (1MB, 1041x578px) Image search: [Google]
canoe.png
1MB, 1041x578px
>>598046
Trolling in a canoe can make the arms tired.
>>
>>598046
They really are fantastic rods and at a little under $100 it's a lot of bang for the buck. They make a 7'11" Heavy/Moderate Winch model that I hear is pretty choice for running deep diving crankbaits but I haven't been able to find one in store to get some hands on time. For rods and reels I've gotta fondle them a bit before I make a purchase. But I am quite pleased with my medium-power Winch (that extra bit of backbone makes a difference) so I might just roll the dice. Worst case I might even bite the bullet and pick up the 7'11" Winch model Veracity. I was checking them out at a nearby BPS and they're pretty solid. The rod is supposed to be a good bit stronger as well which I may need in the waters I intend to use it. Of course that'll set me back an extra $50 if I do.
>>
Novice fishermen who just got skunked three days in a row here. I'm looking to learn something from all of this and in doing so started reading up on weather. I thought maybe I was on to something with pressure changes accompanying the storm off shore right now (southeastern VA) after reading an article about falling pressure being good fishing and rising pressure being bad fishing...but then I read another article that stated the opposite. Then another that claimed any change is good and stagnant pressure is bad. Then another that claimed that steady atmospheric pressure is best and changes turn fish off. And of course there's articles that claim 'no correlation' or 'correlation but very loose'. I was of course most interested in believing the one about rising pressure being bad for fishing since it would be a convenient way to explain why I haven't had so much as a nibble over the last few days but that's no way to learn.

And I'm not alone because at both lakes I've fished I've talked to several others who had caught nothing either. As I understand, it's pretty good weather for saltwater fishing but while I'm a novice at freshwater I've never even touched saltwater. Maybe I should figure out how to get into that and see if I have any greater fortune than I've had so far with bass and bluegill.
>>
>>598047
My old canoe had a mount for an outboard, but I put a trolling motor in. Worked great, until my neighbor's kid backed his shitty riced out corolla into it and crushed the middle. Ended up scrapping it, since it would've cost me about $1200 to get it fixed.
>>
Are there any times where artificial lures work better than live bait? Getting worm guts on your fingers really sucks, but I've had far more luck with nightcrawlers than any artificial lure, and they're virtually free (Just rake some decomposing leaves and you'll have 10-20 in 15 minutes).
>>
>>598086
shoulda made the faggot pay for it
>>
>>597919

I've been catfishing ever since I was 7. Only kind of fishing I enjoy these days.

Nothing beats finding a stagnant muddy river, chilling on the bank at 12 am with some buddies and catching some big ass channel cats.
>>
File: bass1.jpg (129KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
bass1.jpg
129KB, 720x960px
>>597919
I do a lot of bass fishing (2+ trips weekly) mostly in local private ponds.
>>
File: junebug.jpg (92KB, 1071x262px) Image search: [Google]
junebug.jpg
92KB, 1071x262px
>>598107
Depends on what you're fishing for, where you are and even the time of day and season. If you're starting out it's probably best to avoid lures just due to the expense of losing them to beginners mistakes. Losing a nightcrawler cost practically nothing. If you don't like handling live worms, plastic worms are cheap. I've had good luck with them but many say they're not as effective at attracting fish as a live worm. I also fish with crickets a lot. They work pretty well but if you don't like hooking worms, you're not going to like getting cricket guts on your fingers.
>>
>>598141
I did, and got about $400 for my trouble. Wasn't enough to buy a new canoe, so I got new brakes for my car instead.
>>
>>598242
I went and looked at my receipt, and it was $470 after filing fees. Enough to get a shitty plastic 10 footer without the squared off stern. A new 12" aluminum canoe with squared off stern would cost me at least $1500, but the court didn't rule entirely in my favor. Oh well, at least the kid totaled his shitty car a couple months after the canoe incident. Lost control doing donuts in a walmart parking lot and wrapped it around a light post.
>>
File: IMG_20150924_092355072.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150924_092355072.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
Scored some nice schoolies in the surf today on some bucktails.
Seems like they are just about to start migrating south.
>>
File: 20120826_181846.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20120826_181846.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
My usual fishing spot
>>
File: IMG951918.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG951918.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>598369
What I normally catch. Channel cats are also pretty common. I've also caught eels, turtles, bowfin, and gar.
>>
File: more 066.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
more 066.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>598373
Eel
>>
File: more 067.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
more 067.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>598376
Another fine catch
>>
>>598376
Dude. Eat that thing, they are fucking delicious on a bbq.
>>
>>598339
Good to hear, looking to hit up the Rhodes island salt ponds and coastline. Soon from my kayak
>>
>>598385
I did. It was a nice change from the catfish.
>>
>>598389
Good man!
>>
>>598387
Yeah there are reports of schoolies coming out of the rivers up here, and the big guys moving further down the coast, the big ones should start blitzing the north shores within the next few days, in RI I'd imagine it's going to get good in the next few weeks and stay good throughout the winter for inshore.
>>
>>598182
Nice bass.
>>
>>598398
Hopefully they will head up into the salt ponds for a while chasing bait. Etc
I don't have any decent surf gear but I have my kayak
>>
Found a river with carp in it.
I want to catch them

Best carp baits from my kitchen? I don't have any canned corn laying around, might pick some up,but anyone have any alternatives?
>>
>>598828
Bread
>>
>>598838
just balled up and on a hook? was gonna use my salt water reel, on a lighter action rod [baitrunner 6000 oc] should be fine, just need to figure out a good weight for the drop shot and what to bait the hook and chum with.
>>
>>598373
>turtles
I fucking hate catching them. You're supposed to cut the line if you even suspect you've hooked one. Fucking river niggers, I lost more hooks and lures to snapping turtles than I have sheephead.
>>
Took my little bro out today and we caught 7 fish in just under two hours. All panfish, but a lot of fun.
>>
>>598369
do you live near Louisiana/Mississippi?
>>
>>599047
hmm in my state you can keep some species of turtles, they make great soup.
>>
File: IMG_20150919_161856921.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150919_161856921.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
Any Tench fishers out there?
>>
>>597998
A 10 inch Northern Pike is a tiny baby, not even a hammer handle.

28 inches is about the smallest worth keeping.
>>
File: IMG_20150821_151830_354.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150821_151830_354.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>599665
This.
After going after Northern Pike for the first time this summer and keeping a couple, I told myself I'd just put back anything under 28. There wasn't really enough meat on the 23 incher I caught, so in retrospect I should have just released it.

A 10 inch pike being considered decent would indicate to me that the area the person lives in is pretty bad for fishing.
>>
>>598867
make ballies, corb bread and koi food rolled into balls and boiled, look it up on youtube. SW tackle is fine but theyre super spookable, look up carp set ups too
>>
File: 20150821_155046.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150821_155046.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Thoughts on my red
>>
File: biggill.jpg (48KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
biggill.jpg
48KB, 480x640px
>>598453

Thanks man, caught on a Texas rigged "stick bait." I mostly use soft plastics; I'm considering switching up my whole outfit this fall/winter.

If anyone has questions about pond fishing/bass fishing, I'm down to answer.

also, this is a huge hybrid green sunfish/bluegill I caught this summer. It was two inches thick and probably 12-14 inches long.
>>
File: 4553543453543534.jpg (260KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
4553543453543534.jpg
260KB, 800x532px
>>597919
can anyone tell me whats the name of this fish?
>>
>>600189
tigerfish
>>
>>600191
>tigerfish
thank you kind man
>>
>>600189
Carl
>>
How easy is it to run a fish finder off the battery you use for a trolling motor? I always just used a small motorcycle battery for the finder but now I'm getting a trolling motor and 130a/h battery put in I wanna save a bit of room and weight.
>>
After getting nothing all week, finally got to go visit family and fish their little farm pond. Managed to catch several bluegill and a few bass (including one decent one about 14-16" on a bread ball intended for said bluegill). Nothing record breaking or anything but a hell of a lot more fun than catching nothing all day.

Still, most of what I caught today was with bread, worms and grasshopper. I caught one small bass with a crankbait but otherwise using lures was a bust. On the one hand, catching is catching, but on the other it's a little irritating to have a tacklebox full of lures that feel useless everytime I go out compared to spending a few minutes catching bugs next to the bank. Is it all in the presentation? Am I just not working plastics and plugs the way they want? Or do some fish just not care for lures? Time of day thing maybe? Majority of the fishing we did today was afternoon, headed out before dusk.
>>
>>600500
I'm in the same position, I only get bites with live bait, none with artificials. I spent 2 weeks with jigs and plastic worms and caught two fish. Bring a bucket of worms to the same lake and you'll get 12 catches in two hours easy.
>>
File: basshotdoge.jpg (92KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
basshotdoge.jpg
92KB, 600x800px
>>600500
Some fish do not respond well to certain lures. A lot of plastic worms rely on the bait mimicking the natural food source of the fish in the body of water, such as crawdads, small sunfish, shad, etc. These are referred to as "hunger strikes," because they're picking them up for a meal.

Other lures, such as buzzbaits, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits target a "reaction" bite from the fish, triggering their natural instinct to go for the lure.

>>599864

the fish in this pond responded almost strictly to "people food" (bread balls, hot dogs, bologna)

The bass in this picture was caught on a 2" segment of smoked sausage on a normal bass hook.

There are some bodies of water where the fish can live off of people disposing of their scraps in the water (camp-grounds and parks mostly) so the fish will respond to the people-food type baits well.

Post pictures of what you're using, and it definitely doesn't hurt to google the name of your bait/type of bait for tips on how to fish it.
>>
>>600538
I love little ponds like that.
There's a ponds near me that people feed the fish bread crumbs and shit right off the dock, and you can drop a bare hook in the water and something will bite it almost instantaneously.
>>
I too enjoy fishing, but there's not a whole lot of good places for it here. Am near stockholm, sweden, if anyone wonders.

>out for a semi-hike with dogs
>rounding lake mcdisgusting, dubbed as such because the industrial zone nearby fucked the relatively tiny lake up
>see little abandoned looking rowboat
>get excited, maybe i can use this and get further down the lake where it's impossible to walk because marshlands
>flip over
>half rotted, infested with ants and shit
>and chained down with a chain rusty enough to break from a sneeze
>manage to get a couple large ant worms out of it
>go fish, catch a couple decently large groupers
I think i found a dead fisher's boat.
>>
>>600712
Fucking serious friendo?
Sweden is full of good Pike.
>>
>>600677
Ponds like that are great for taking grills fishing, but I prefer to be able to use some of my actual "bass fishing tactics." I mean, yeah it's cool to be able to catch a lot of fish with ease or just leave a hotdog on the bottom of the pond and wait for something, but that's nothing like the fishing I am familiar with. Oh well. Every body of water is unique.
>>
>>600734
Might be, but there's nowhere good near me except for lake disgust, and that's not... Well, appealing.
should probably get a car.
>>
anybody fish the blood moon?
>>
>>598047
Then you are paddling wrong
>>
>>599863
Why are you crying?
>>
>>600842
nah, for pickerel you do 360 degree circles around drop offs, works really well. Also it's kind of hard with to row upstream in a fast river...
>>
File: DSCF7173.jpg (3MB, 4896x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7173.jpg
3MB, 4896x3264px
A nice little musky I managed to pull in this weekend.
>>
File: DSCF7185.jpg (3MB, 4896x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7185.jpg
3MB, 4896x3264px
>>601098
>>
>>599047
wtf?
you are supossed ot let them swim around with a hook and a long piece of fishing line in their throat, getting tangled in plants and drowning, slowly bleeding out or die from infection?
that's fucked up
I hate people making stupid laws for "protecting nature" like this
>>
>>601147
well hooks rust out quickly.
also he isn't really correct, you have to put them back in the water. there is no legislation in any state that requires you to "cut the line" it's just a saying that most anglers use to mean "if you land that fish you risk a massive fine and never fishing again"

however landing doesn't mean you can't get the fish ashore and remove the tackle and let it be on it's way, such as with sturgeon, you can't take it out of the water, so anytime someone says "gotta cut the line" think of it in that manner.
>>
>>601159
>well hooks rust out quickly.
HAH
Fuck off with your bait.
>>
>>601176
They really do, you fucking try hard crybaby libtard
>>
>>601176
Mustad Duratin, almost all jigs use these hooks, or a type of modern hook similar to it.

Almost all modern hooks are made to rust and break easily if not properly cared for, and submerged, IE. in a fishes mouth.

However some larger saltwater game hooks are Nickle Allow, and won't rust for a very long time.
>>
>>600411
I think it's generally recommended to incorporate some sort of fuse box. In the event of a short/surge it should keep your gadgets from getting fried. Couldn't tell you the specifics unfortunately but I'm sure guides exist. I'll be figuring it out myself just as soon as I get around to running some lights on my jon boat.
>>
>>601176
Almost all freshwater hooks are designed to corrode quickly.
>>
>>601231
Well there isn't a whole lot about it on google apart from some people claiming the troll motor interferes with their Fish Finder and some people saying it works fine for them, hence why I thought I'd ask here. Both the finder and motor came with inline fuses btw so that bit is sorted.
>>
>>597970
Those are some micro pike. Do you really keep them that small?
>>
>>598046
>trophy
>big ol' pickerel

Nigger, please. That's a hammer handle. To be called a trophy your pike should be 15-30lb at the very least.
>>
Is four pike per acre worth concentrated fishing for them?
>>
File: pikenperch.jpg (266KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pikenperch.jpg
266KB, 1024x768px
>>599837
So true. Too many fags keeping hammer handles in this thready.

Here are some real pike.
26oz bottle of single malt for scale. The big one is a 14 pounder.
>>
File: pike-cousin.jpg (330KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
pike-cousin.jpg
330KB, 1023x764px
>>601688

My cousin is 8 years old and he's catching bigger pike than you ladies.
>>
File: pike.jpg (342KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pike.jpg
342KB, 1024x768px
>>601689
Here is a 15 pounder. Ice fishing pike with minnows on jigs and herrings on tipups is the goddamn best way to do it. Plus they taste great in the winter. Summer pike can get pretty awful.

They're so slimy and nasty to clean and filet I don't know why you would keep any under 25 inches.
>>
File: pike-stringer.jpg (83KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
pike-stringer.jpg
83KB, 1023x764px
>>601689
I don't like keeping them smaller than this.
>>
File: bows.jpg (329KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
bows.jpg
329KB, 1023x764px
>>601691

Now for some fall-time rainbows. Caught on the fly of course...
>>
>>601692
>>601690
I'm so jelly of your fish.
>>
>>601692
I hope those were stocked.
>>
>>601702
Yeah, it was a stocked pond... but since you're being judgemental, what if this was the catch for four or five people?

Where I'm from most rivers with wild populations are all C&R and unstocked lakes have 1-3 fish per maximums often with slot sizes implemented.
>>
>>601705
Wild trout are generally much better sport than stocked and it's best to just leave them on general principle because they have a much better chance of surviving the winter than do stocked trout.
>>
File: bulltrout.jpg (340KB, 764x1023px) Image search: [Google]
bulltrout.jpg
340KB, 764x1023px
>>601706

I've had stocked trout fight like wild demons. It's all about genetics and environment. Our stocking programs in western Canada are excellent.

Overwinter survival rates is more dependent on lake ecology. Like whether it's eutrophic or not. How deep, how much oxygenation, etc.

Here is a wild Albertan bull trout. They don't fight particularly well, but they sure are pretty.
>>
File: rmw.jpg (244KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
rmw.jpg
244KB, 1023x764px
>>601714
Rocky Mountain Whitefish
>>
File: grayling.jpg (152KB, 764x1023px) Image search: [Google]
grayling.jpg
152KB, 764x1023px
>>601724
Arctic Grayling
>>
>>601726
>>
File: big-bow.jpg (205KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
big-bow.jpg
205KB, 800x600px
>>601727
Here's a fat stocked 20+ inch bow. This sucker fought like a fiend. If you go right when the ice comes off or in the fall when the water is nice and cold they'll take line like it's nobody's business.
>>
File: best-bud.jpg (107KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
best-bud.jpg
107KB, 768x1024px
>>601728
Here's my last contribution to this fish porn thread for a while. Just remember noobs, put back all pike under 25" 'cause you ain't getting much meat off them otherwise.
>>
File: bassdockdemon.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
bassdockdemon.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
It's not the size of the rod...

same pond as >>598182
>>
>>598046
The Abu Garcia Veritas? I've got the 6'9" with a Shimano Saros 3000 attached to it. It's my 'Catch anything I want to in Michigan' rod. It casts ridiculously smoothly and doesn't stop with just a flick of the wrist. Sadly I have barely used it this past year. Really taken a shining to fly fishing and everything related.
>>
>>598182
>>601885
I can't tell if you look like a southern stereotype or a northwoods stereotype.
>>
>>601885
haha nice bass on that icefishing rod.
>>
So how many people in this thread fish catch and release? it looks like everybody eats what they catch
>>
File: IMG_20150916_111105208_TOP.jpg (5MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150916_111105208_TOP.jpg
5MB, 4160x2340px
>>602028
I do, unless they are invasive and recommended to kill by the IFW
>>
>>602028
I'll take the odd 1 or 2 fish home a year but am all for catch and release. However, if they are pissing blood out the gills or the trebles are so entrenched down their throat I may as well keep because the poor thing doesn't have long to live anyway.
>>
>>602028
I keep when allowed, and C&R when required. I rarely harvest my limits, and always C&R very small and also freakishly large fish (keep the big genes breeding). I'll keep limits on stocked trout lakes to make it worth filleting and smoking as it's a long process.

Rest assured every fillet is lovingly cared for and that everything gets eaten and enjoyed.
>>
File: 09283.jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
09283.jpg
47KB, 960x720px
>we catfish now
first big one ive pulled out. weighed in at 28 lbs
>>
>>601946
I guess that's fair. I'm from Indiana if that helps settle any disputes in my classification. (I also don't partake in any really stereotypical "southern"/"country" activities, aside from fishing.)

>>601969
That's actually the $10 Zebco Dock Demon spincast combo from Walmart. You should've heard the drag grinding on that thing.
>>
>>602028

>>602306 here, I've only eaten a few fish I've caught, just bluegill from lakes.
>>
>fourth trip in a row to the same lake where I've gotten absolutely nothing

Should I just give up on it and go somewhere else? Just not a lot of bankfishing options nearby. I don't mind fishing and not catching anything but this is getting ridiculous. There are fish in that lake. It's a stocked lake and there are cats, bluegills, crappies, perch and bass. Never see anything but shiners popping the surface near the bank and the occasional big splash a bit further out. Never see anyone else catch anything either. I really hate to give up on it without a single catch, feels like defeat. But I also hate having an empty cooler every trip.

Maybe I should take up surf or pier fishing instead since the freshwater options around here without a boat are so sparse.
>>
>>602028
I catch a lot of panfish, and while tasty, most of them are too small to be worth the effort imo. Also, it's nice not having to worry about cleaning them afterwords, ain't nobody got time for that.
I make an exception for walleye
>>
>>602039
>married
Fuck.
>>
>>602306
Amazing what cheap ass rods can handle, friend caught a metre long stingray on a cheap $15 Jarvis walker Kids combo, took him 2 hours to get it in without breaking the rod or line, but he got it in the end.
>>
>>602438
There are videos of people bending those rods nearly 360 degrees without them breaking. You definitely don't have the leverage of a longer rod for hooksets but I could pitch that thing almost as far as my buddies were doing their overhand casts. Aside from the reel grinding quite violently, I'd say those combos could easily handle anything a kid would be catching.

Also, landing a (near) 3 lb bass on a rod shorter than your arm is quite rewarding.

>>602400
If there are any housing communities or trailer parks near you, I'd try hitting them up. A lot of times they have ponds, and as long as you aren't in people's yards and there are no signs posted, go for it.
>>
>>600189
Suddenly Aquaman's ability to control sea creatures doesn't seem such a shitty superpower anymore.
>>
File: troll motor.jpg (89KB, 1324x762px) Image search: [Google]
troll motor.jpg
89KB, 1324x762px
Hit up a semi-retired aluminium engineer and got a bracket welded up for $80, now I can hit the w-
>trolling is banned in South Australia until December 31st

FUCK, Victoria here I come.
>>
File: cropped.jpg (948KB, 3116x1308px) Image search: [Google]
cropped.jpg
948KB, 3116x1308px
>>601689
Nah
>>
>>602717
>trolling is banned in South Australia until December 31st
You haven't got a picture of that being written somewhere officially, have you?
I only ask because of reasons.
>>
File: troll ban.jpg (144KB, 1066x721px) Image search: [Google]
troll ban.jpg
144KB, 1066x721px
>>602963
I can do one better
http://pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/180502/Murray_Cod_brochure.pdf

Fucking took a shitload of googling to find this, but then SA fisheries are a joke when it comes to inland waters.
>>
File: murray cod11.jpg (358KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
murray cod11.jpg
358KB, 1280x854px
>>602965
Also whoever implemented these rules had a good intention, but no knowledge of fishing
>you're not allowed to even lift a Cod out of the water at all, even for catch and release

I know some people might be stupid and end up killing the fish by leaving it out of the water too long but do they seriously expect us to somehow remove a hook from the mouth of one of the largest freshwater species in the world while it's thrashing about in the water?
>>
>>602197
Da fuk. Hold that shit proper with a hand in the mouth other one belly. how did it taste?
>>
>>599602
where are you from? those fish are a dream, we have lots of them in germany but sadly not in the lakes I fish.
>>
>>598061
where are you fishing that you need an 8 foot rod?
>>
>>598376
>>598385
>>598389
arent american eel endangered?
>>
File: 20150918_180145.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20150918_180145.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Is it me or there is rarely euro fishermen in these threads?

Anyways here is a small bass i caught floatfishing with worm. Had to return him obviously.
>>
File: mulla.jpg (266KB, 1046x777px) Image search: [Google]
mulla.jpg
266KB, 1046x777px
>get drunk, go fishing with friend
>an hour later, jack shit
>suddenly a wild baby Galah swoops us and does circles around us for no reason
>it keeps swooping us and ends up dropping down to the riverbank in front of us to get a drink
>get distracted and film random bird because fishing is shit at this spot
>bell goes tingling
>Friend yells out about my rod
>"nah it's okay"
>suddenly my rod tip bends down into the water and snaps my 30lb braid clean off, rod tip flicks back and throws my bell a few metres back onto the bank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEJEX8A0g1c

Let's hear some stories about the ones that got away.
>>
Has anyone used a gomoku rod?
if so have you gone squidding with it?
>>
>>603056
I was a bit off. It is 7'11" but extra heavy/moderate. Good for deep divers and heavier cranks (3/4 to 2 1/2). Locally (MD) it is a little overkill since most spots I fish aren't super deep but it will let me wing some heavier squarebills for a hopefully larger bite. The main reason I want it is because I fish Raystown Lake in PA spring and fall of every year. If you look it up you'll find it gets down near 200' at the deepest and runs close to 30 miles long. It houses striped bass, muskellunge, pike, pickerel, large and smallmouth bass, lake trout, channel cat, white and yellow perch, plenty of sunfish species, crappie and more ... a good chunk of the US freshwater sport & food fish. It isn't unfathomable that I may hook into something that even exceeds the recommended limits of that rod. I certainly hope so. I've caught some nice fish up there but I'm going there in search of trouble this next trip.
>>
>>603040
Netherlands, Theyre tricky fish though.
Spooked real easily.
>>
>>603155
>fishing off a shore in a river
>have two rods out with worms on the bottom for catfish
>get a bite on one of them and start to reel in a catfish
>before I could land him, my other rod gets a bite and jerked into water never to be seen again
I had that rod dug into the sand leaning on a forked tree limb. Whatever took it must have been quite large to just rip it out like it did.
>>
>>603789
>10 years old
>find an old school Jarvis Walker rod in the water that a family friend restored for me
>take it fishing with older brother
>lean rod on a Y forked tree branch dug into sand with drag set
>wandering off doing typical 10 year old shit
>hear drag screaming
>look and see the rod get literally ripped straight into the water like it caught a passing boats prop or some shit (no boats in this creek)
>older brothers friend jumps straight into the water
>retrieves my rod after a few minutes of diving
>only way he found it was because he could hear the drag going nuts underwater
>just as he found and grabbed it he felt the rod tug and the 30lb mono snapped like nothing

Wish I knew what the fish was because fuck me it snapped 30lb mono, at least I got the rod back though.
>>
>>598378
the fuck is that?
>>
>>599864
i fish this shallow pond, and i know there are big ass bass and carp in it. what should i bait with? top water?
>>
>>603932
Do you have any prior experience fishing? The top-water bites can be difficult to get, and especially difficult to set the hook if you don't know what you're doing.

I'd start with a plastic worm, and if that doesn't work, come back for more information. My personal favorite soft plastics would have to be the stick-bait styles. (Yamamoto Senko, Yum Dinger, Strike King's Shim-E-Stick, etc.)

Pick a color that looks like the smallest fish in the pond and use that. Look up how to fish a Texas-rigged worm and go for it.
>>
>>603932
What sort of setup(s) are you using? Reel, line type and rating, rod length/power/action?
>>
>>602971
>do they seriously expect us to somehow remove a hook from the mouth of one of the largest freshwater species in the world while it's thrashing about in the water?

Seriously m8? In the first place you shouldn't even try removing the hook if the fish is still "thrashing" and in the second place they make mechanical hook removers designed for saltwater big game fishing that are long enough to be used over the gunwales of the boat and the hooks for catching any fish that huge are so damn big anyway that if you want to be Bogan about it, a nail driven through a piece of lumber and hammered into a U makes a perfectly serviceable hook remover. You can even use your gaff to remove the hook if your aim is good enough.
>>
>>601676
Those are chain pickerel. They aren't that small.
>>
>>601678
Pickerel don't get near that big
>>
>>604199
I see your point, but seen many videos of metre long cod being caught? They literally play dead when taken out of the water which makes it easier to remove a hook/Treble compared to when they are brought to the surface and spend 10 minutes thrashing around trying to still get away.
>>
File: pickerel.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pickerel.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>604202
>>604203
I was thinking they were grass pickerel which definitely don't get all that big. Redfin don't either. Chain pickerel can get a bit bigger although it's rare to catch the larger ones.

>It may reach up to 30 in long only on rare occasions. ... The average size for chain pickerel, however, is 24 in and 3 lb. (The average chain pickerel caught by fishermen is under 2 lb).

At least according to Wiki.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 585x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 585x368px
Can skill make lures just about as effective as bait? I'm really not a fan of skewering live worms but it's the only thing I can get consistent bites on.
>>
>>604578
Pretty much, once you start getting confident at flicking lures around you will start getting more fish.
>>
>>604578
Bait is pretty universal. A downside of that can be that you can slap a whole worm onto a big hook in hopes of a trophy largemouth and the little baitfish, bluegill and such will still find a way to nibble every last bit off before that bass comes along. There is also the matter of cost. If you're not digging them up yourself the cost of bait adds up over time. Especially for something you can't reuse. Hell, bloodworms around here cost nearly $1/each. $10 to $12+ per dozen doesn't make sense to me when I can get three or so new crankbaits for the same price.

But on to your main question: Can lures be as effective? The closest "right" answer I can give is that they'll be as effective as they are employed. A good example is that I wouldn't throw topwater lures in a heavy downpour. Calm, overcast days with a light drizzle can be great but in heavy rains there is a lot of excess noise that is going to drown out the noise that the lure generates. I also wouldn't bring deep diving crankbaits to a neighborhood pond that probably doesn't have a hole deeper than six feet. Nor would I throw shallow crankbaits out into the middle of a big lake that might push forty foot deep or better. "Match the hatch" is pretty important too. Fish will strike plenty of lures that don't look like anything naturally occurring in their body of water but a lot of the time it's better to mimic their actual food source(s) at any given point in the year.
>>
Why are largemouth bass the most popular of all gamefish? I have never hooked a massive one, but the smaller ones I have hooked haven't been a massive fight. Biggest one I have ever caught was probably 1.5 pounds though, so I don't really know largemouth.
>>
>>599142
Yes, I live in Mississippi.
>>
>>601676
>>601678
it's a chain pickerel, notice the black stripe.

in my state the largest one is 26inches. they don't get much bigger than 17.

they are the smaller brother to pike and muskie.

so yeah those sizes are pretty decent for chain pickerel.

I keep and kill all pickerel, as it's encouraged by my state, we have the last native brook trout strong hold in the US, so they encourage killing species that are a threat to the population.

>>604566
beautiful pickerel btw.
>>
How does one find good spots for targeting certain fish? I want to try targeting chain pickerel but finding a location nearby is tough.
>>
>>605300
read about the species, figure out what they like and where they populate.
>>
I got questions, i want to fish on the beach. How do i do it? Anyone else do it?
>>
I live in DFW and know nothing about fishing, but want to get into it.

What's the best way to start? I'm guessing not one of those rod and reel kits from Walmart...
>>
>>605310
Actually those rod and reel kits from Walmart are alright. I'd buy a shakespeare ugly stick and a cheap spinning reel and go out to some public fishing spot and give it a go with some live worms. Be sure not to use too large of a hook, or you might not catch any thing. Big fish can be caught on both large and small hooks, but only large fish can be caught on large hooks
>>
>>605254
Because they're easy to catch and every-fucking-where but regularly singling out the big ones is tricksy.

Same reason that people get so crazy about whitetail deer.
>>
>>605309
"The beach" is a bit ambiguous.
>>
>>605309
here is hands down your best resource for east coast beach / surf fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jskinner5278/videos

the legend that is john skinner.
>>
>>605319
The shore where land meets the ocean. Where it is sandy, and you need to cast far.
>>
>>605330
sometimes it's actually best to not cast far.

as shown here in this skinner video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ddROb-z0-4
>>
What do you do in silty water with less than one foot of visibility? Will powerbait work for trout in silty water?
>>
>>605286
>beautiful pickerel btw.
Thanks. That was at a really pleasant park lake called "Shawnee" also up in PA. We fished it a couple times back in May of this year when we weren't on Raystown or wading the river. It wasn't until a while after I caught it that I realized it was such a nice specimen. Between tearing apart my spring scale for parts to fix the trolling motor and the time it took to fight it in I couldn't weigh it and didn't want to keep it out of the water any longer than to take a quick picture. I couldn't say just how big it was. I've caught a bunch of little snot rockets locally since then but none as nice as that.
>>
>>605330
Where, dunkass? Northern CA is different from So Cal is different from Florida is different from Maine - your location dictates your approach.
>>
>>605371
my favorite thing about chain pickerel is that they lurk in low water next to weed beds, and vegetation next to a shore or drop off.

if you coast your canoe or kayak, boat, what have you and the water is clear enough, you can just barely make out their profile, then drop a lure and watch it strike explosively.

even if you can't see them they SLAM your lure hard!
>>
>>605373
not particularly, surf casting is pretty universal.
>>
>>605382
Just like how a worm on a hook can catch pretty much any freshwater fish - but that doesn't mean that it's always the best option.
>>
>>605383
fishing with worms is counterproductive most of the time :)

but yeah surf techniques, casting, rigging, and lure selection is almost universal.
>>
>>597919
So anyone down here in Florida having luck with the mullet run?
>>
>>603927
Soft shell turtle
>>
First time solo fishing tomorrow, any advice on where/how to keep freshly caught fish fresh on my kayak and back at camp? Just spending 1 night
>>
>>605701
Where are you fishing?
>>
>>605704
Got a hessian sack to store them in? A wet sack would be preferable, tied up sitting in the water on the side of your vessel but as long as you aren't out all day they'll be fine if you just bleed em and keep them out of the sun.
>>
>>605704
Where are you going to be doing this? The rules are different depending on how warm the water is; the "leave them in the water" approach that works great in higher latitudes doesn't work nearly as well in a place where the water is lukewarm.
>>
>bass fishing
>finesse ftw
>Abu Garcia 6'9" vendetta med light
>Abu Garcia revo sx30
>stren 25 lb braid
>p-Line 8-12 lb floro
>shaky head or senkos
>catch fish
You're welcome
>>
>>605744
see
>>598369
It's a NWR in eastern Mississippi
>>
File: scfloodsfishing.png (2MB, 1069x701px) Image search: [Google]
scfloodsfishing.png
2MB, 1069x701px
saw a photo of some kids fly fishing in south carolina during the flooding, heard a few dams broke in the past few hours.

anyone been fishing in the floods? I bet its pretty fucking awesome.
>>
>>605322

Motha. Fuckin. John Skinner.

Would love to fish with that guy, he lives in my hometown
>>
>>605795

>finesse

>25# braid.

I use 6# mono for most applications except topwater.
>>
>>605890
dude I have read all his books, and use his techniques. guy is a fucking master.

I hope one day I land a 50lbs striper from the surf.

I doubt you will or any of us will ever fish with such an elusive master, he enjoys his solitude when fishing.

>>605894
curious what do you use for topwater? I've been using 10lbs mono on my ultralight setup but I feel like I'm missing a lot of fish because of it.

and yeah there is no finesse with 25lbs braid, mroe like your braid is wayy too big for your reel there bub.
>>
>>605840
>fly fishing in a boat
Fuck, I can barely manage regular fishing in a boat without swamping it.
>>
>>605956
I flyfish in my canoe, it's a lot easier than you think.

are you flailing your body when you cast?
>>
>>605956
don't move your torso, move your arms.

Make sure your centre of mass is always between your knees (I fish out of a canoe kneeling down).

I handle a 15ft canoe like a 10ft kayak. It isn't as fast though.
>>
>>605956
Protip: keep your body between the damn gunwales and it's almost impossible to tip over. Not doing that will almost certainly ensure that you tip over.
>>
File: gw against a inflatable.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gw against a inflatable.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>605956
that not just any boat my son...its a Gheenoe.
It's a very stable skinny water boat. I have the very same boat, you can stand in it and cast no problem.
>>
File: f34o8fh348ufh3.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
f34o8fh348ufh3.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
Caught this 18in largemouth while I was actually targeting channel cats today.

He bit onto a hotdog mixed with raspberry jello. This lake is a good spot for joggers and the like and I had a crowd of 15 or so watch me reel the sucker in, while fishermen came up to me explaining how they fish this lake with every type of lure and live bait combination imaginable for bass and they always turn up empty.

Sometimes you never know what you get.
>>
>>605317
x2 on ugly stik for a first rig.
It's not an super excellent rod, but robust and great value.
>>
>>605254
I would say rainbow trout is clearly the most common and popular freshwater game fish worldwide.
>>
>>605381
Yeah pike species are explosive ambush predators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w8gn1AOyIA
>>
>>606043
Damn, I wish there were pike populations nearby me. Those guys look like a ton of fun to fight.
Also,
>dat cat attack
>>
>>606040
I disagree
>>
>>606040
Fuck you, it's definitely walleye.
>>
Tips for first time trout fishing? It'll be in a stocked river. I'll probably use live worms, but if anything else works really well reccomend it please. I've seen 4-8 lb mono reccomended. Why is this? I only have 10lb.
>>
>>606424
>Tips for first time trout fishing?
Be sneaky - mind your shadow and how much noise you make when you're approaching the fish.

>It'll be in a stocked river.
Okay.

>I'll probably use live worms,
Kill yourself.

>but if anything else works really well reccomend it please.
Fly fishing. 'Tis the season; the water is low and warm and as such the trout spend all day in the deep, cool holes and glut themselves once the sun goes over the yardarm. Failing that, using spinning gear to cast a fly and bobber can work quite well.

>I've seen 4-8 lb mono reccomended. Why is this? I only have 10lb.
Trout are extremely easy to spook, so the visibility of your line matters quite a bit. I'd recommend 3' of 4lb flouro as leader material, secured to your main line with a blood knot.
>>
>>606432
Thanks.
Why are worms kill yourself-tier? I've heard they work alright.
>>
>>606356
I said worldwide nigger. Walleye are awesome indeed but not widespread outside of North America.
>>
>>606441
>Why are worms kill yourself-tier?
Because it takes out all the fun. You'll probably catch plenty of fish, to be sure, but it's also probably the least satisfying way in which to do so when there are better options on the table. It also leads to more dead fish because most trout will only take a fly or spinner with the corner of their mouth but will suck down bait with no questions asked - which means that they frequently end up gut-hooked and at a much greater risk of dying after being released.
>>
>>606462
True. I'll pick up a few flies and give it a shot. I've never heard of fishing with a fly without a fly fishing setup, but I'll give it a shot. Fishing worms sucks anyways.
>>
>>606462
I don't fish trout and I'm pretty much a beginner to fishing in general but I've noticed that while fishing with worms/crickets is fun, it definitely doesn't give the same satisfaction as catching something on a lure. Same with bread, corn, power bait pellets and so forth. I still enjoy fishing with them and if I can't catch anything with lures, out comes the tasty bait...but yeah, it's not as satisfying.

That said, biggest fish I've caught yet was a 13-14 inch bass (not big by most peoples standards, just mine) that I caught on a balled up piece of bread intended for bluegill.
>>
>>606444
>>606356
Bass.
>>
>>606508
13-14in bass is sizeable, nice catch!

don't mess with flies unless you have a flyrod, it isn't worth the headache.

try a spoon, or swedish pimple, macho minnows and kast masters work really well too.
>>
File: 20151006_180348.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151006_180348.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>605896

Im gonna run into him one day and at least shake his hand lol. We both frequent the same areas.

For my topwater (fresh water) I use an abu vengence 6'9 with two different bait casters, a black max spooled with 50# braid, and an okuma stratus v baitcaster with #20 braid.

I use it to throw frogs into weeds mostly which is why I go so heavy. When im not throwing a weedless frog, I'm throwing a rebel frog r, deadly.

I also use the same 6# mono for small topwaters successfully as well, just not around weed cover.

Today I had a dozen fish (literally) hit the rebel frog r. Caught this nice pickerel, 17-18" or so measured against my rod blank
>>
File: 20151006_172702.jpg (606KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20151006_172702.jpg
606KB, 1920x1080px
>>606533

Big pickerel, little bass, same lure haha.

Love that rebel frog-r
>>
>>606533
ah figured it would be better to go heavy with weed fishing, thanks.
>>606535
nice gonna try one of those rebels
>>
>>606474
put a bobber 2-3 feet ahead of the fly to cast it on a spinning rod.
>>
>>606547
>how to get insanely frustrated in 2 steps
>>
>>606536

Cast the frog r, let it sit until the ripples disappear, and give a quick little pop. If nothing, wait a few seconds, and walk the dog with it for a few seconds, stop, wait, and give it a pop.

I get hit on the pause almost exclusively. It's super easy to walk the dog with this thing, and the rattle is so loud. One little pop gets a ton of attention.
>>
>>597919
Always fish for what's biting and you will never be disappointed.
>>
>>606576
what do you mean by walk the dog?
>>
>>606597

Left/right wobble on the surface of the water. Youtube it.
>>
>>606554
It works just fine when presentation isn't critical; for dries or when you can't match the hatch, not so much.
>>
>>606040

100% true. On account of them fighting hard, being quite aggressive and relatively easy to entice to bite, and also being good eating.

Hell, bass don't even exist outside of murica, if you go to any other place in the world a bass is a sea fish. A real bass was pictured earlier in this thread, they are a pure silver marine sportfish and one of the best eating/fighting fish you can find. Someone mentioned walleye? What the fuck even is that? The only time I've ever even heard of one was in a fishing book, on a chapter describing Zander as similar looking to American walleye.

On a global scale the most popular stocked fish is rainbows.
>>
>>606040
Wrong. There's a reason nobody shops at "Trout Pro Shops."

Largemouth Bass are the freshwater equivalent of the bald eagle.
>>
>>606619
>never heard of a walleye
What third world shithole do you hail from? I'm a guide on a lot of lakes here in Northern MN, and I get a ton of European customers here specifically for walleye, almost as many as southerners here for muskillunge.
Hell, I get a dozen Asian customers a year, usually Japanese or Korean, and one of my friends had a Saudi Prince.
>>
>>606749
Walleye are ok because they're absolutely delicious and so goddamn easy to catch, but you can't tell me with a straight face that they're a better freshwater sportfish than a bow or pike/muskie. They don't fight worth shit. Stupid easy-to-catch slugs.

I hope you rape those suckers you guide cuz they don't deserve that money if they buy charters to go walleye fishing wtf.

If I was a saudi prince id' be slaying steelhead, coho, and chinook salmon all day long with a hot bimbo sucking my cock in between catching halibut.

To mix it up I'd go for some marlin, tuna, and dorado.

If I wanted to slum it up in freshwater I'd go for sturgeon, muskies, lake trout, or trophy trout.

Fucking walleyes? Topkek sc/out/ friend.
>>
>>606757
Hey, I didn't say they were the most fun to catch, I just said they're one of the most popular fish my clients want, after muskie.
And according to the friend, the Prince was more interested in zipping selling the lakes in his fancy boat than actually catching fish. Casted a couple times, then decided it was boring and started trolling at 30mph.
>>
>>606521
You can use flies with an ultralight spinning set up, you just have to change your technique.

It's called float and fly, the float is a somewhat transparent bubble and you fill it with a bit of water to give it some weight. Put a nymph or other sinking fly underneath and cast that sumbitch out!
>>
>>606619
There are more species of bass that exist worldwide than trout.

Prove
Me
Wrong

The kingdom of bass, and its fan reach to all corners of the world unlike trout.
>>
Anyone in southern Maine? I need fishing buddies. I know the best spots for fly, salt, and ultralight fishing. Just got no car, and no fishing buddies.
>>
>>606749
"I'm a guide in Northern MN"

hell must be easy as fuck to get a guide patch in MN if you don't even know fuck all about walleye.

pro-tip: only faggots in MN fish for walleye, it literally isn't anywhere else in the world, and it's so easy to catch even a little bitch guide like you can show people how to catch it without knowing a thing about it.
>>
>>606889
>it literally isn't anywhere else in the world
Which is why I get a ton of customers for it. Almost as many as muskillunge. see >>606766
You're just mad because you don't have this tasty easy to catch fish in your 3rd world shithole, and you don't get paid to do what you love.
Tell you what, you come to MN, and I'll give you a discount on a weekend trip, $300, Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. You can come here and take out your impotent frustrations on the fish, I guarantee you'll max your limit.
>>
>>606032
what the fuck is this hotdog shit that I keep hearing.. might try it out tonight.
>>
>>606749

>being this mad, topkek
>thinking you don't live in a 3rd world country
>thinking your nigger infested 'country' is better than Ireland because you have an assfish nobody else in the world gives a fuck about or even knows exist

Ireland, the emerald isle, the magical land where the salmon run wild, the trout fight hard, the pike grow to 40lb+ and the sea bass (aka REAL bass) are plentiful.
Also, white people everywhere.

Don't be jelly because you're stuck with assfish nobody has heard of. I'll take my prime fishing over walleyes and dickfish 365 days a year.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Marylandfag here. It was such a beautiful evening today, went out to a lottle local lake and got this crappie on a popper. Never caught anything on topwater poppers before this guy.
>>
>>607029
>implying that you can afford a beat on any river worth a damn

ayy
>>
Anyone here fish southern central Ontario as well?
>>
Any SW CT fishermen?
>>
>>607035

>implying I can't

My haunt is the Crana river, best in the north west for Salmon. A real fish. But it's ok, there no shame in conceding that your assfish and dickfish are no match for the mighty game of my country. You were just unlucky to be born where you are. Heck, maybe if you save up your pennies for a few years you can actually come here and get a weeks licence for the Crana and find out what it's like to do some real fishing.
>>
>>607043
Not even the same guy; I work on fishing boats out of San Diego during the peak seasons and spend the rest of the time in the northwest guiding for steelhead and salmon and spending my free time crabbing and hunting.
>>
>>607045

>works on a fishing boat and as a 'guide'
>gets paid manual labour wage in dollars, aka assmoney
>implys OTHER people with REAL jobs cant afford licences
>Merican education system showing right there
>>
>>607051
Last time I checked, getting a decent beat on a decent river was a five-figure proposition - annually.
>>
>>607029
>niggers
>MN
Protip: Leave the Twin Cities and you won't see a single person darker than 'light tan'
>>
>>607052

First of all stop calling stretches of rivers beats. Nobody apart from English fuckwits call them beats, if you call it a beat while on the riverbank you will quickly find your ass getting beat. By me.
Crana is 300 a week and the best Salmon runs are from early August til late September, very affordable to fish it for the entirety of this brief time period. There is no such thing as an annual licence for this river, but an annual licence would be unnecessary considering the length of the run. Buy a week at a time as needed and enjoy the finest river north of Galway.

Wanna fish the rest of the year? Go to any of the multitudes of stocked trout lakes for a small fee to get rainbows and brown trout, or get an annual licence for one of the countless other Salmon rivers such as the faughan, roe or Finn. None of which are bad and none of which cost 5 figures, you do seem to have pulled that out of your ass. Or avail of the free fishing for pike and other non game fish in coarse lakes, or the mighty loughs of the South, such as lough Corrib, where the wild brown trout turn cannibal and grow to 20lb+ and the pike are scary big (again amazing fishing and free)
>>
File: 1441684997380.jpg (18KB, 254x276px) Image search: [Google]
1441684997380.jpg
18KB, 254x276px
>>607076
>if you call it a beat while on the riverbank you will quickly find your ass getting beat. By me.
>>
>>606931
enjoy your poopfish!

I catch real fish; from the ocean.
>>
>>607078
You obviously haven't ever eaten walleye. Tastiest fish in the world, bar none.
>>
>>607076

Haha, you seem like a real nice guy!

Why are you talking so much shit about someone you've never met?

I would love to get paid to fish, even if it were a modest wage or not.

Also a question for surf fisherman:

Should I use a leader throwing topwater plugs for stripers, I'm on long island NY. Should I use a snap swivel or tie the leader to the lure. I'm using a swivel to connect leader to mainline.
>>
>>607145
that's not true though.
>>
>>607155
Wouldn't even use a swivel period. For poppers, tie to line, or use a tactical clip
>>
>>607145
I have. Striper is better, trout is better, salmon is better, cod better, fluke better. Even mackerel sashimi and baked shad is better
>>
>>607170
Arctic char is best salmonid
>>
>>607145
Walley is good, but come on man who are you trying to kid?
>>
>>607180
walleye isnt even that good.

Rockbass and bluegill are godtier freshwater fish though, imo.
>>
>>607145
>Tastiest fish in the world, bar none.
Since you're not using that term to describe either lingcod or sablefish, you're objectively wrong.
>>
>>607155
25lb leader with 50lb test
>>
>>603155
>fishing florida canal
>Catching mostly sheepshead
>Throw a line in and set it down to rig another
>Reel resting on beam, no sheep is taking that
>Suddenly rod gone
>See it swimming away
;_;
>>
Any PNW here?

Where are you fishing, with what? Been skunked on the rivers all year, hitting jetties is where I've had luck though.
>>
>>607175
Agree! Then Brook trout!
>>
File: IMG_0413a.png (526KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0413a.png
526KB, 960x640px
ontario, heck yeah
>>
>>606881
Depends on how you want to discuss taxonomic classification. The family Centrarchidae, of which "bass" are a member, is comprised of 37 species. The family Salmonidae, of which "trout" are a member, has 66 species. So...consider yourself proven wrong.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrarchidae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonidae
http://www.burkemuseum.org/static/FishKey/salmon.html

Now, things that are called "bass" in other areas of the world are not necessarily classified in the same taxa as those I've mentioned above. In that case, you may be correct from a terminology standpoint. However, I have neither the time nor patience to uncover every fish called a "bass" or "trout" in order to further prove that you are wrong.
>>
>>607168

You mean just tie a uni to uni or albright? This is for pre tying rigs that I can tie really quick in the dark incase of a break at night.

Im thinking of getting some TA clips for sure. Will making switching lures at night much easier.
>>
>>606881
>>607490

Rekt
>>
>>607480
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonidae
awesome muskie sc/out/
you're doing God's work
>>
>>607490
Are there salmonidae, or rather more specifically, trout in the eastern part of the world? how about south america, south africa [where bass is the primary gamefish]

sure trout are a member of salmonidae, but just because salmonidae have 66 species doesn't mean there are 66 species of trout. are trout not a SUBSPECIES of salmonidae?

Just because a genus has a large number of species doesn't mean that it covers more of the planet, I'm almost positive bass are more plentiful, and live in more places than trout do.

sure trout are clade with salmonidae, and are a subspecies but that doesn't mean it's a bigger game fish.

now if you wanted to be correct, salmonidae may be the bigger kingdom of gamefish, as opposed to centarchidae. however, although more diverse in species salmonidae might not be as largley classified as a game fish kingdom as centarchidae.

>>607725
actually
>>607480
is an Esocidae https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esox

different genus there bub.

In terms of most popular gamefish worldwide, we are both wrong. It's the blue marlin, actually I'm sure sailfish are more widely sought in terms of game fishing than any other species on the planet, due to their wide spread habitat of the fucking entire world.

so in a particular order I'd say.
-sailfish species
-panfish
-bass
-salmoniods [not including trout]
-trout
>>
>>607812
First, the initial claim was that there are more species of bass than trout, not that bass are more widely distributed. The heart of this argument again goes back to the terminology caveat stated in >>607490. Is a peacock bass considered a bass due to its genetic nature, or solely by name? Is a char a trout?

Second, the least you can do is provide some evidence for your claims that "I'm almost positive bass are more plentiful, and live in more places than trout do." I have opinions on things too, but that doesn't mean they're supported by legitimate evidence.

Third, it's pretty obvious that you have a limited understanding of taxonomy given your misuse of the relevant terminology. +1 for trying though.

Finally, did you even look at the sources provided? I mean, actually read them? I assume not considering the "points" you make are addressed in the wiki pages alone, provided you exerted a little effort to read through associated pages.
>>
>>607934
To further illustrate my point regarding the terminology caveat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_%28fish%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout

So, do you want to continue discussing this in as a matter of the terminology (i.e., "bass" and "trout"), or from a taxonomic perspective?
>>
I've been fishing for a few years now, mostly freshwater, and the only knot I know/utilize is the improved clinch knot. What other knots should I know, and when should I be using them? As it stands I use the clinch for everything, from tying weights to snells and lures.
>>
>>607959
Palomar knot. Super easy to tie, only tightens when pulled on.
>>
>>607937
>>607934
bass are more widely sought after, known throughout the world.

trout are not. you are wrong.
>>
>>608076
Thanks for chiming in with a completely irrelevant and off-base comment.
>>
>>608083
actually I'm just reinstating what you said.

just because you can name genus of a kingdom and an amount of subspecies doesn't mean a fucking thing.
>>
>Go fishing every weekend for past 3 months
>All I ever catch are small bream or 1lb largemouth anywhere I go
:(
>>
>>608626
At least you're catching stuff. All I've done the last several trips out is lose lures.
>>
File: image.jpg (233KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233KB, 640x1136px
Love fishing for trout
>>
File: brookie.png (2MB, 1065x508px) Image search: [Google]
brookie.png
2MB, 1065x508px
>>608638
same
>>
>>608626
Half the fun in fishing for me is just getting out of the house and relaxing. I could care less if I catch anything, it's just nice to relax and unwind.
>>
File: IMG_66411.jpg (603KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_66411.jpg
603KB, 1536x2048px
Anyone know what type of fish this is? It's got catfish whiskers but we haven't seen one with a stripe and the tail wasn't forked like a normal catfish. Friend caught this in a local pond. I live in Texas
>>
>>608683
Bullhead
>>
File: 1432196799360.png (152KB, 323x375px) Image search: [Google]
1432196799360.png
152KB, 323x375px
>finally get a decent day to take my boat out and test new trolling motor out
>thing works fine, foot control is fucking sweet
>after an hour of trolling look down and notice a lot more water in the bottom of boat than usual
>find a hairline crack in the aluminum weld near the bow letting a heap of water in

Motherfucker
>>
Does a boat dramatically increase the amount of fish you catch? Yesterday there was a fisherman out on a jonboat and he caught 15 bass, I was there for hours and all I got were minnows too small to hook chewing my bait off.
>>
>>609239
I'm pretty much a fishing novice, but it seems to me a boat is unarguably superior as far as raw chance to catch fish. If the fish are all near the shore, the bank fisherman and the boat fisherman can both cast near shore and have equal chances. If the fish are all in deeper water, the bank fisherman is now restricted to the few hanging out near shore while the boat fisherman can go wherever he pleases.. A boat lets you troll too, as well as get to spots you might not be able to get ton foot, even if they're bank fishing spots, just because it's inaccessible due to private property or something. And of course you can move with the fish easier since everything is on your boat. You don't have to pack up or pack light just to stay mobile.

That said, I've only been out fishing in a boat once, 20 years ago. I still have my grandpas old jon boat that we went out in but I have no good way to get it out to water so it doesn't get used. Even going on Craigslist it would cost 700-1000 bucks to get a tow package for my car and a small trailer for the boat.
>>
>>609252
>car

literally why.
>>
>>606931
I-I'd like to come up and fish with you...
>>
File: Noss Mayo.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Noss Mayo.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>Not been fishing in over 10 years
>My Grandad used to take me when I was about 13
>Call in sick to work to go fishing with my best mate
>Go and buy a £25 rod to get started and some tackle and bait
>Try to find a spot he and his dad used to go to in a place called Noss Mayo
>Couldn't find it so we set up on the coast in a couple of places but the sea was too rough
>Walked 4 miles to and from the car
>Give up trying to find the place
>Cast off the end of a jetty and sit there talking and having a laugh for two hours
>I nearly caught a Garfish but it got away from me

We didn't get so much as a nibble after that but it didn't matter, we had fun. This is what fishing is all about for me.
>>
>tfw no fishing bros
>>
>>609380
Because a crown vic wouldn't have any trouble towing a jon boat around.
>>
>>609560
Sure, but why ever have a car as a daily driver? Get a truck for getting around locally and hauling shit and a cheap, fuel-efficient car for road trips.
>>
>>609599
>Buying and insuring 2 cars
>>
>>598081
Only dramatic drops in pressure give the fish lock jaw.... Cold fronts coming through do it, especially the fall and winter.. If you can fish right before the front comes through they're usually biting.... Where are you fishing and what for? From bank or boat? I may be able to help. The learning curve is steep if you want to get good enough to catch fish everytime out....
>>
>>609252
If you're fishing a lake, it's not even close... Rivers and streams the fish set up in more predictable places, giving the bank fisherman a solid chance at success.
>>
>>609239
Absolutely, it's a lot like hunting and you need to go find them.
>>
>>608626
>>607183
Crappie gets my vote...
>>
>>607155
No leader, tie a loop knot... Not as hard as it looks once you get the hang of it.
>>
>>605840
I didn't realize there was a hurricane on the way, so I was out on the beach Friday when the first part of the storm hit Charleston. I stayed for about 2 more hours and caught some blues and a sea bass, but got fucking soaked and stuck in traffic for an hr and a half.
>>
>>606462
This is true... I can't do it anymore and enjoy myself....
>>
>>605896
Finese with braid requires a flouro leader.... Braid is way more sensitive to bites and casts further which helps with spinning rods. .... It's a bit more complicated, so If you don't feel like tying a leader, stick to what you're doing....
>>
>>605896
Also, ten lb mono is fine for topwater. Flouro sinks so it's not as good to use. Braid with a Mono leader if you feel like dealing with it because you get more distant and better hook sets. Baitcasting set up for topwater is essential as long casts are the most important thing.
>>
>>604578
Choosing the Right lure for the right situation is half the game. That square bill crankbait is made for catching fish in shallow water. Most Effective in early spring when bass are moving up shallow to spawn. You want to hit things with it, rocks, stumps etc.... If you crankbait isn't hitting the bottom, it's not going to be very effective. You're going for reaction bites most of the time.
>>
>>604186
I like the old rooster tail for pond fishing... But the Texas rigged worm is a universal bass catcher as anon stated. Stick worm like the senkos are amazing too. Yamamoto changed the game with those things.
>>
>>603564
My crankbait rod is 7 11 too... Casting distance is key for crankbaiting. Long cast let's the bait get down to the desired depth or " strike zone" and stay there longer. I live in Bama now, but am originally from Western Maryland. I fished rays town lake as a kid. Nice lake.
>>
>>602400
Get out there first thing in the morning. Is there any current in the lake? Google map it I'll tell you what I'd do...
>>
>>602197
Nice fish.
>>602028
Catch and release fisherman here. It's a must format bass lakes.
>>
>>609599
I used to have a truck and I do miss it. But it just wasn't (and isn't) in the cards to replace it when I lost it. I have a mustang and the crown vic is a good backup vehicle since they share a lot of parts but serve two different roles. The crown vic saw a lot of use as a daily until I fixed my Mustang up and now it's mostly for when I need to take passengers who aren't midgets or just feel like being comfortable on a longer trip. Or carrying a lot of stuff.

No arguments here about the value of a truck, just not what I have or want at the moment.
>>
been messing around with fiberglass, gotta say i actually like it. 7'6 ultralight reminds me of my 7'6 bamboo flyrod blank
>pic related first fish i ever caught and ate

tasted weird at first....found out theres a superfund and an epa site right by where i caught it....fucking NJ.
>>
What is your most interesting catch?
>>
File: image.jpg (194KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 750x1334px
>>609857
Rock scallops were kinda interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (627KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
627KB, 2448x2448px
>>609917
But what really made them cool were the bioluminescent critters growing on their shells.
Shitty picture but they were flashing white and blue.
>>
File: IMG_20150904_144515.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150904_144515.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>598378

I hate these fuckers. Niggers of the water, man.
>>
North Alabama is in slow rolling spinner baits in tree tops time. I've been pulling in good large heads and massive spots
>>
File: IMG_20150626_120631.jpg (694KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150626_120631.jpg
694KB, 1520x1520px
>>609690
Another person in Bama on out? Thought I was the only one.
>>
>>609980
Yup, been in Birmingham ten years now. I'll never go back north. The fishing alone is enough to keep me here..... Not to mention the BBQ....
>>
>>609599
Eh, daily driving a truck is a bitch on fuel costs. Still owning one is an invaluable asset and anybody with a bit of handiness and a home to take care of should own one. I still would like to find a dual sport to fix up for the work commute though.

>>609672
Rockfish/striped bass is pretty good. Crappie is great, and I still need to try walleye. Snakehead is fantastic believe it or not.

>>609690
I fished the Weaver Falls area near saxton yesterday. One little smallie off the launch. Hooked into something huge on a big strike king/kvd squarebill but it wrapped a stump and snapped the 12lb fluoro like it was nothing. Broke my heart. Tried Shawnee today and nothing was biting. Gonna go back to raystown in the morning but not sure what launch yet.
>>
>>610287
On mobile, was worried post was getting too long. The big un was hooked by the power lines not far from where the old power plant used to be. Saw a flash of green but no jumping or splashing so I've been ruling out striper or largemouth. Probably an amazing pike or muskie but I'll never know. God do I love that lake though. Down by Weaver it's still a lot like river fishing. But out in the middle it's big lake fishing. And in all the little arms and branches it's like fishing individual small lakes. And it's all so beautiful this time of year. I really hope I can hook into something big again and catch it this time to share with you all. At the least I'll try to get some decent scenery shots.
>>
File: crackhead.jpg (55KB, 710x492px) Image search: [Google]
crackhead.jpg
55KB, 710x492px
How long could one get away with super gluing up a small crack like this? Boat only has a 6hp and it's not like I'm gonna go out bar crushing with it. Just wanna know if I can take it out again instead of waiting 2 weeks for a guy to weld it up. Crack lets a bit of water in but as long as you do a bit of bailing every hour it's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>608683
>dat massive snap swivel
>>
>>610451
Bro are you stupid? Get some epoxy/rubber cement or something similar. Don't fuck around with shit like this. Before you know it, you get out there and the hole gets opened up.. then you have to decide which gear you take or leave before swimming back to shore.
>>
>>598047
is this outside of denver colorado?
>>
>>610451
I'd play it safe and wait until it can be properly fixed.
>>
How are inflatable rafts for fishing on lakes? I'm kind of worried about accidentally ripping a hole in it with a hook.
>>
>>610983
if this guy can survive getting strafed by a japanese bomber while adrift in the pacific for 41 days then i'm sure you can figure it out
>>
Anyone ever have any luck surfcasting salt water with rapala (or the like) crankbait?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just got back from a little lunch break fishing at the local pond. This must be the biggest sunfish I ever caught around here
>>
Went by a store today and they were selling out all rods and reels, 70% off on all of them. Ended up buying a 170 cm (about 5.5 feet) + reel for a UL type setup and one 8 feet rod + reel.

Today was a good day. Will go out nest week for some pike an pearch. A a couple of pikes in a new spot last week, so I'll probably try there again to start with.
>>
>>611012
>strafed
>bomber
U wot m9?
>>
File: Snapchat--5374924251391123302.jpg (707KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat--5374924251391123302.jpg
707KB, 1080x1920px
Decent largemouth while out on the merrimack river this week. Also got tons of river herring, pike, and snagged a carp that broke my reel and subsequemtly my line.
>>
File: Snapchat-2149388263155413162.jpg (792KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-2149388263155413162.jpg
792KB, 1080x1920px
Decent picture of a small black smallmouth caught under heavy cover in the merrimack river. Razor sharp gills and tiny teeth
>>
>>611583
You're obviously not a golfer.
>>
Is it generally okay to fish the small ponds that are often dug behind shopping centers? Do they care usually?
>>
>>611463
That's beautiful. Nice job.
>>
So I've been having some really poor fishing days the last couple of months since I took an interest in it. Only catching I was doing was a family members farm pond and while fun, it didn't feel 'legitimate' to me since I couldn't catch anything anywhere else.

Changed that today when I swung by a park I'd never been to after work and fished for an hour and a half or so. Caught two smallmouths, a modest largemouth and got a few more bites (wasn't even getting bites at the other lake I've been fishing, so even those were thrilling). Even had a largemouth of some size hooked at one point but he threw more lure when he jumped. Never caught a fish that jumped out of the water while reeling it in so seeing it was pretty cool, even if I lost it. Also, there was some sort of small fish buzzing around the bank that I'm not sure if they were just baitfish or just juveniles but damn they were aggressive. I was using a pic related (except 2") most of the time I was there and these things were barely bigger and attacking it like crazy whenever I reeled it back to the bank. Was fun watching them go after my line, drops of water and just about anything else while waiting on the real fish to bite.

Sadly, no pictures, not that anything was exactly photo-worthy, but damn I'm excited after getting skunked so much lately. Not sure if I'm learning better techniques, if the weather/timing are just better or if that other lake is just a crapshoot.

Also, took the largemouth home and cleaned and fried it up. I was a bit nervous about that since I've never had it before and read a lot about it being muddy or 'too fishy' and not enjoyable to eat. I thought it was pretty good though and less 'fishy' than the tilapia I get from wal-mart.
>>
>>601098
>>601101
Not bad
>>
>>604208
Murrays (and Marys, especially) over 10kg should never be fully lifted out of the water anyway if you want to be as sure as possible that the fish will survive.

The point behind closed seasons is that the fish should not be *targeted* during this period, even if you intend to release it. Making it illegal to remove fish from the water for photographs is the best way to enforce and ensure the success closed seasons (thus upholding the reasons for their creation).
>>
File: arctic_char_9_11_15.jpg (50KB, 497x280px) Image search: [Google]
arctic_char_9_11_15.jpg
50KB, 497x280px
I caught this about a month ago in a tiny creek near my house. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed such a big fish could live in such a small hole of water.
>>
>>598373
Did you eat the choupic? (In south LA we call bowfin choupic/choupique and eat then and they are delicious)
>>
>>613635
Those aren't bowfin, they're bullheads.
>>
>>613635
No, I didn't eat the bowfin.
>>
I live in Southeastern Virginia and want to get into surfcasting. Did I miss the boat for it this year? Should I wait till Spring now? Or do the winter months still offer good chances to catch some fish offshore? Our winters are mild enough that I'm not too worried about the freshwater side of things but I know nothing about saltwater.
>>
>>613635
i am from lake charles
>>
One of the biggest Black Crappie I have seen caught in person so far. A friend landed it while fishing together using a black/silver jointed Rebel minnow lure
>>
>>614412
God damn son.

Did you check to see if it broke a record?
>>
>>605825
MS Bro here, do you know any good spots on the Reservoir? Maybe you live close
>>
So I've found a city lake that has good access and lots of fish. They're aggressive too. Everything in the water has gone after my 2" shad swimbait and everything has gone after breadballs, corn, etc. Carp, bluegill, channel cats, small and largemouth bass. They're all super aggressive and love to be caught.

Problem is, they're all so damn small. A lot of the bluegill are smaller than my hand. Biggest bass I've caught couldn't have been 12 inches and I've caught several baby bass at 3" (amazing that they'll go after lures almost as big as them). The cats are a bit bigger but the carp are kind of small too (look like about 3 pounds).

Basically, lots of reactionary fish, none with much size. Are they overcrowded and just hungry? Or is everything bigger holding to the middle (no boat access whatsoever) and pushing the small stuff towards the edges? Any way to find out other than just keep fishing and seeing what comes up?
>>
>>614633
Fish aren't incredibly dumb. I'll bet, unless there have been massive fishkills lately, that there are trophies in there, they just won't go for your tactics because they've wisened up after being caught several times.
>>
>>614646
Maybe anon, maybe. But The water is fairly clear (for this area anyways, all of our water is pretty murky) and I've been able to see most of the fish I've caught off shore before catching them. No monsters mingling within 35-40 yards of shore....not that I've seen anyways. Which brings me back to the idea that maybe they're mostly towards the middle. I don't know what the bottom of the lake looks like exactly (I say lake, but it's not that big...still, a couple hundred yards across and several hundred yards long) but I'm told it's used for police dive training and has a steep dropoff with lots of obstacles down below. I've seen some good surface splashes out beyond casting range (my casting range anyways) so maybe they just don't come in to the shore.

Still, even little fish beat the other lake I'd been trying where nothing ever bit. That one is shallow all the way across, averaging 4-5 feet so I suspect that the fish just sort of go wherever instead of heading for the shallows...since it's ALL shallows.

I have more ponds and 'lakes' I want to investigate in my area still, but this particular one is close to me and like I said, the fish bite like crazy so catching isn't hard which keeps it fun. Maybe I ought to get some really teeny hooks and a super light rod and 2 pound line and just fight the baby bass and 3" bluegills that way.
>>
>>614649
Hunting for the sweet spots of a place is half the fun too. try for the middle and see what you can get anon
>>
What happened to the wiki? Haven't been to /out/ in a while
>>
>>614726
I'd like to, but I just can't see how to get out that far without slinging some heavy ass surf weights. It's a city park with an extremely strict no-boating policy. Like not even remote control boats unless they're sail boats.

Maybe a heavier spinner bait would let me reach out far enough to find out though. Maybe I could have found out with the new one I bought yesterday if I hadn't cast it straight into a tree on the third cast.

But I'm pretty new to fishing still and learning my area. It's a tossup for me whether the next trip out will be back here to try and learn this lake more or to try a new one. Hate to try somewhere else and get completely skunked knowing I could have just gone somewhere I know works but then I don't want to just play it safe because like you said, finding places is half the fun.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to go about fishing places that you're not sure if you're allowed? Just go in and hope for the best or try and be stealthy? I figure that the worst the can happen is someone comes out and tells you that you need to leave as long as you aren't on someones private residential property right? I see from looking around local fishing forums that popular spots in the area include lakes behind businesses and schools as well as shopping centers.
>>
>>614782
>fishing places that you're not sure if you're allowed

As long as there is no sign that says no fishing (which I don't think I ever seen) then I always throw my line in. If you are property licensed, I wouldn't worry much unless you know you're not supposed to fish there.
>>
>>614856
>propety licensed

Not a term I'm familiar with. Virginia has different licenses for freshwater, saltwater and trout specifically, but nothing like a license to fish on private property...pretty sure it's up to the discretion of the property owner. To which, I suppose, the question is do you just go fish and hope for the best or do you ask for permission first? Either way, fishing someone else's property seems like it would definitely be catch and release only unless explicitly told otherwise by the owner.

City property on the other hand is open to anyone...then it's just a matter of figuring out whether certain ponds are city property or private property.
>>
File: DSC_0019.jpg (530KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0019.jpg
530KB, 1440x2560px
Hey. I'm looking for fish to survive.
I don't have enough money to buy equipment unless it's virtually free.
What fishing techniques should I look into?

There's a number of small streams nearby that fish swim down.
How do I create a basic trap so as to catch a fish within a few short hours.
>>
>>615512
Where and when?
>>
>>615533
I don't understand the question.
The 'where' is in the pic. Well, one of the locations.
The 'when' is as soon as possible.
>>
>>615537
>The 'where' is in the pic. Well, one of the locations.
That doesn't help. At all.
>>
File: easy.jpg (577KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
easy.jpg
577KB, 1440x2560px
>>615559
Sorry.
I've edited the picture so it's easier to understand.
>>
>>615566
If you're not going to tell us what country you're in at the very least, then we won't be able to tell you what to target and how.
>>
>>615570
Sorry was I supposed to understand from your two vague-as-shit comments that you were looking to know what country I'm posting from?

I wasn't aware that was relevant information, you didn't tell me, or even hint at it. Do you pay your Internet fees per byte or something?

I'll ask elsewhere for help.
>>
>>615574
Motherfucker that pic could be anywhere from England to Argentina.
>>
>>615574
>I'll ask elsewhere for help.
With the same stupid question with no useful information? You'll get exactly the same answers. Fucking retard.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 68

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.