[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heya /out. I'm thinking of taking a vacation. I'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: P7090715-large.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
P7090715-large.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
Heya /out. I'm thinking of taking a vacation. I'd like to go alone into deep woods and just survive for at least 2 months. I'd bring food to start me off. I have all the equipment that I would need including water filtration, gun, bow, saw, axe etc.. I'm thinking northern maine since I live in massachusetts. I'm basically wondering, is there still wilderness remote and deep enough in maine to hunt, trap, and build shelter without paying any attention to laws?

I love the outdoors and I've always wanted to just do this. Would I run into trouble? What do you think the biggest challenges would be?

Also I was wondering specifically, how big is the threat of wild animals? I mean if I have a shelter on the ground whats to stop a bear attacking in my sleep? I intend to do this alone far away from any kind of help.

Thanks for any insight guys. I know how this sounds, but I'm serious, capable and I want this.
>>
You'll die.
>>
You should probably work your way up to doing this. I mean you don't even understand anything about bears yet.
>>
>bears
Keep your food (and everything that smells, such as toothpaste) somewhere they can't get it while you sleep. Unless your bears are starved and crazy like Kamchatka bears, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1095557
Wild animals aren't even a thing except Asian cats. Even bears and snakes could give a fuck about you. Avoiding injury, and proper food, shelter, and water are your main concerns.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (938KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
938KB, 400x372px
Yeah you're an idiot.

Start by doing some overnight backpacking. A 2 month trip by a newbie is just so cringworthy it makes my fucking head hurt.
>>
OP is still an idiot
>>
>>1095557
dude... if you dont know have the answer to a lot of these questions you probably are not ready.

im not even tryign to be a dick- have you done 2 nighters off campgrounds?
>>
>>1095557
OP, you're making an incredibly impulsive and potentially fatal decision here. You should probably try doing something like this for about a week so you don't die in the process.
>I live in massachusetts
Never mind, go right ahead.
>>
>>1096002
woaaaah i live in 617 and responded
>>1095999

#notallmassholes
>>
>>1095557

>Going to another state and ignoring their game/wilderness laws.

Absolutely terrible thing to do. Being a poacher is an extremely scummy thing.
>>
OP here.

I'll be honest, I've never done something totally like this but my experience is as follows:

-Hiked the Long trail of vermont all the way through. Took me 23 days. My pack averaged 35 lbs after a re-supply of 5 days worth of food
-I'm skilled with my .45 pistol which I take to the range frequently
-I have a bit of experience hunting with my compound bow
-And lastly, my father is quite an outdoorsman and since I was very young he took me on multi day camping trips where he taught me the basic of making a fire, building shelters, safety, etc.. and I still keep up those skills by camping and going on overnight hikes frequently in the spring and summer.

I find it ironic btw that you all yell at my about being a newbie but it's likely none of you have backpacked 270 rugged miles in 23 days XD

But thanks for the responses I guess. Not sure why I expected anything more.
>>
No one even really answered a single question I had either....just came to shitpost. Sad what /out has become :(

I am capable of doing this. If you cunts need me to make a blog and prove it or some shit I will. Obviously not doing this in the winter though I'm thinking next year...
>>
>>1095557
>just survive for at least 2 months
You should expect to burn around 3,500 calories per day, more if it's cold outside. At sixty days, that 210,000 calories. Even if all you packed was pure protein, carbs and fats (your highest cal/weight foods) you'd be at around 100lbs just in food.
>I'd bring food to start me off.
Just to start you off, huh? You expect to hunt and forage 3,500+ calories per day, do you? Maybe if you're taking big game, but I've never seen anyone meet those numbers on fish and squirrel.
>gun, bow, saw, axe
I don't carry any of those things. I don't even know anyone that would carry all four. You don't sound like someone who knows what you're doing.
>how big is the threat of wild animals?
Well, mosquitoes and ticks can be pretty annoying.
>stop a bear attacking in my sleep?
lol. Okay, look... wild animals don't just go around looking to start shit for no reason. Domesticated (park) bears know that people carry food, but wilderness bears are going to be afraid of you.
>far away from any kind of help.
Don't be an idiot. You're not good enough to not carry a beacon or SAT phone yet.
>>1096317
>he taught me the basic
Basic knowledge is NOT the same as experience and proficiency.
>>1096318
>I am capable of doing this
No, you're not. You might get there if you don't overestimate your abilities and end up putting yourself in a situation you can't handle, but until then you should stop getting yourself more credit than you deserve.

Stupid people focus on what they know, because it makes them feel better about themselves; smart people focus on what they don't know, because that's how they learn new things.
>>
>>1095557
Hi OP, I did this once.

I got out of the Marines, blew my last paycheck on hotel rooms and restaurant meals. I found a job but it was 1 month before I could start and 2 months before I'd have enough money saved to get an apartment. So I took my last bit of money and bought a .22 and a tent and some supplies.

I headed to the woods to survive.

I learned you can't pack enough food. It takes more energy to get your food from town to camp than you'll get out of it if you're way out there. I learned you can't really live off the land. I mostly ate fish (raw because lighting a fire and cooking 3 times a day is bullshit and often impossible). I ate raspberries and strawberries (no real nutrition, takes hours of work to gather enough to matter, gives you the shits). I learned giardia is real and could kill you. I learned there are no doritos or Cheetos or Marlboros growing in the woods. I learned that it's hard to keep a job when you smell like months without soap or deodorant. I learned a razor and a mirror are a good investment. I learned all the layers in the world won't keep you warm once they get wet. I learned your tent will get soaked in a couple days even in dry weather. I learned you can't dry a sleeping bag when it's raining. Fires are very hard to start in a storm. Hypothermia isn't fun for the first 2-4 hours. You probably can die of boredom. Lightning doesn't give a fuck about you. A good cold can probably kill over a long enough wet spell. You can't cure meat in the rain. Venison rots fast without refrigeration. Bad venison will make you wish you didn't eat it. Storing meat in a cold creek makes it taste like fish and ass. Speaking of ass, yours will get very sore if you don't wash it regularly. Once you wash it can be very difficult to dry off.

At the end I moved into a vacant building in town and took up begging and dumpster diving. It was way better. Even the Indians didn't live out there alone, it's not really doable.
>>
>>1096375
I should probably also mention I dropped 80lbs of muscle in less than 2 months. I came very close to starving to death, another month would've probably been enough.

I never gained that weight back, I permanently lost almost half of my body's muscle mass.
>>
>>1096366
>>1096375
>>1096379

OP here. I really appreciate your posts guys. thanks. I know how crazy this sounds. But do you get my sentiment? I don't know exactly whats drawing me to this but I want it so badly.

Why wouldn't I bring a gun,bow, saw and axe?

When I saw "start me off" I'm saying I'd deliver about 3 weeks worth of food to my intended site before starting this adventure.

As for "far away from any help", that's totally the point for me. being so far that I know i'm in isolation and won't see anyone else.

Maybe this is crazy....I realize that. But I can't get over this desire. Help me guys. I want to do this so bad :(
>>
>>1096384
I understand why you want to do it. You have something you want to prove to yourself about your own strength. You could run marathons or climb cliffs or take up boxing but you don't have any real skills and won't face those fears.

You think being wily and able to survive one day at a time is a great skill, and it is. But not in the woods. There it's mostly a matter of luck. Especially that far north. You have to understand, we had natives living there for thousands of years and all of them-
1. lived in huge groups.
2. built permanent homes
3. farmed a lot
4. worked their asses off every day to survive.
5. still died young and often

I think you should do it because you'll learn very quickly that you're not an independent or capable island, you'll learn the value of society and the people in it. And you'll learn not to be ashamed to need help or to resent others for needing help.

if you survive it you will walk out of those woods all grown up. Because you'll understand your place. The place humans evolved to live. The place humans have been living for millions of years. With other people.
>>
>>1096384
>OP here. I really appreciate your posts guys. thanks. I know how crazy this sounds. But do you get my sentiment? I don't know exactly whats drawing me to this but I want it so badly.
I'm glad I didn't come off too harsh, but you need to be realistic. Not to wave my dick around, but I'm good at this, and I usually limit myself to six weeks max.
>Why wouldn't I bring a gun,bow, saw and axe?
Mostly weight. I've never needed a gun (in the woods at least), and a saw and axe are fine for big projects, but if all you need are cooking fires, windfall is more than adequate.
>When I saw "start me off" I'm saying I'd deliver about 3 weeks worth of food to my intended site before starting this adventure.
It'll help, and so will having a few pounds to lose. I carry a couple 2L bottles of brown rice and about six jars of powerbait for a month at the lake. A meal of 1/4 cup dry rice (3/4 cup cooked) and a medium-sized trout is around 600-800 calories. I expect to lose weight, and plan accordingly.
>As for "far away from any help", that's totally the point for me. being so far that I know i'm in isolation and won't see anyone else.
I get that, and I'm not saying that you have to go with a group or give out your emergency number, but carrying a beacon to call for help if you can't hike out may save your life.
>Maybe this is crazy....I realize that. But I can't get over this desire. Help me guys. I want to do this so bad :(
Just work up to it. If you really want to dive right into it, I could teach you; I pretty much live in the mountains during the summer, fishing and foraging.
>>
>>1096385
OP again. I don't run marathons but I do enjoy an occasional 10 mile run. Also I don't box but I do belong to an MMA gym and frequently spar! XD Funny how you referenced two things I greatly enjoy
>>
this is some low quality bait and i cant believe you idiots are falling for this.

someone posts a thread like/similar to this every fucking week. do you really think ALL these people are actually taking this advice and then disappearing off the face of the earth for months at a time?

i know its fun to daydream about libertarian fairy land where we all pull Proenekke's but its not realistic. You cant just 'disappear' with no consequences. just go backpacking for a WEEK /out/ and you will see its waaay harder than you think, and that'll remove all stupid childish dramatizations you have of going off the grid.
>>
>>1098113
It does happen occasionally. I do it, I'm sure there's at least a few people here that have, though definitely not as many as there are threads about it.

I just know that I wouldn't want to not help the one person who does decide to try it without the right tangible and mental tools necessary.
>>
>>1096384

You aren't crazy dumb dumb, you are just a late bloomer. Most people have this """burning desire""" after they see/read Into the Wild sometime during their teenage years and think they are unique having these thoughts. You just did this later then most. It's pretty much the supreme amount of /out/ related cringeyness to have a grown adult talk about this sort of thing and be so openly naive in the way you are but it's your life man.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.