[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are you not buying Patagonia clothes instead of other brands?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

File: black_friday_events_spiff.jpg (37KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
black_friday_events_spiff.jpg
37KB, 400x225px
Why are you not buying Patagonia clothes instead of other brands? You are literally contributing to a better environment by doing so.
>>
because i don't like spending $130 dollars on a fleece coat
>>
Because buying shit from big multinational corporations is a scam.
I mean I have patagucci gear too but I was young and naive.
>>
>>1092375
Buy one used then. That's the whole point of Worn Wear.
>>
File: Dont-Buy-This-Jacket-1250.jpg (146KB, 652x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Dont-Buy-This-Jacket-1250.jpg
146KB, 652x1250px
Because they told me not to. Pic related

Besides, their shit comes from the same Vietnamese sweatshops as North Face, etc. The only difference is one created by their vast hordes of marketing professionals. They make vague promises without any third party verification and use feel-good terms without any legally defined obligations attached.

If you really wanted to contribute to a better environment you'd buy exclusively used clothing
>>
>>1092372
Because they don't make anything cut for people with muscle. I'm not willing to wear a circus tent because the only size that fits in the shoulders is 2XL even though I've got a 32" waist, and I'm not willing to have to wear 38x32 pants to get enough thigh room they don't look like they're painted on.

Also they're overpriced and they lie about their "eco friendly" production, they're made in the same Vietnamese child-labor sweatshops that pollute everything as everyone else's clothing.
>>
It's quality clothing and they seem to have good-natured - if somewhat irritating - employees. I like that they'll fix your shit, and one of their employees told me they'll even do repairs on other brands if it's something they can handle in the store. Shouldn't ever pay full price for that stuff though. Once you start seeing 30-40% off it becomes worth it.
>>
>>1092405
Anyone know where to buy used /out/ clothes in UK?
>>
>>1092372
Because they are anti-trump and deserve to be boycotted for taking any political stance as a business.

>hey lets alienate a large group of people even though we're a retail company

just remain silent and sell your overpriced garbage.
>>
>>1092506
Get a load of this faggot
Their numbers probably went up after that, motherfuckers know exactly what they're doing
>>
File: c960CNe.jpg (197KB, 1125x2001px) Image search: [Google]
c960CNe.jpg
197KB, 1125x2001px
I like their baggy shorts and have some shirts, but fuck em and their liberal faggotry.
>>
>>1092506
>pandering to the group that constitutes most of your buyers
Lets be honest, most of patagonia gear is directed towards climbers, hiker and so on, and these are mostly leftists/liberals.
>>
>>1092522
>(((kaufman)))
>that (((face)))
gee bill
>>
File: wrmackinaw.jpg (21KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
wrmackinaw.jpg
21KB, 354x354px
>>1092372
Because I wear used wool outerwear exclusively. The fuck is this 'worn wear' malarkey?
>>
File: buckgeneral.jpg (3KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
buckgeneral.jpg
3KB, 259x194px
>>1092529
You mean tech firm tryhard faggots, I work with these people, they all wear the NorthFace 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>1092610
Fair enough actually.
>>
File: 3A1oYZP.jpg (886KB, 4416x2947px) Image search: [Google]
3A1oYZP.jpg
886KB, 4416x2947px
>>1092612
They're still a bunch of lefty elitists who hate my slack-jawed hick ass, so the theory still stands about them being the target audience for this political vitriol. I would think it's easy to hate a protectionist when your corporation profits off of offshore near slave- labor textile manufacturing in SEA and eat all of the profits from your overpriced plastic clothes while dressing it up as some hippy dippy bullshit, but I'm just a savage Appalachian boy and know nothing of the ways of my sophisticated urban betters.
>Sorry for the /pol/ rant boys, blatant buyfaggotry on our beautiful board just upsets me.
>>
>>1092506
>Trump supporters
>large group of people
>>
>>1092372
>wears Patagonnarhea
>wears $500-$1000 of clothing when out
>pre orders $300 bullshit chinese ultralight pack
>shops at REI

I think we've seen enough anon
>>
I buy all my /out/ clothing at the thrift store. I get it cheap so I don't mind f*cking it up, I can always get MORE.
>>
>>1092620
Enough to win the popular vote, loser
>>
>>1092664
This.
I use ebay, goodwill/thrift stores, and milsurp sites.
>>
I love walking around in my 200 dollar R1 and 150 dollar trail runners. I love buying expensive /out/ gear
>>
>>1092410
>i purposely gave myself a misshapen body and now nothing fits
>>
Consumption is consumption. Doesnt make a difference...
>>
>>1092710
I have friends like this, they all wear lifter pants and look like fucking buffoons.
Once they hit 35 they realize that women are not really that turned on by it so they get super depressed
>>
>>1092724
Maybe they can hook up with other guys and live happily every after.
>>
>>1092522
They make a good product, but fuck them for not blindly accepting the rule of a man who lies about global warming for profit
>>
>>1092737
You misread the headline. They're not resistancing Obama.
>>
>>1092372
>Why are you not buying meme-brand clothes instead of other brands?
>You are literally contributing to a better environment by doing so.
So I am literally contributing to a better environment by not buying meme-brand clothes? Well good for me then.
>>
>>1092724
>>1092710
>Low T
Lel
>>
>>1092737
>hotel magnate
>profits from "lying" about global warming
Apex jej.
>>
>>1092446
There are some forums that have a decent UK population. BPL and Treklite are good places to start. Also it's always worth keeping an eye on gumtree and ebay. Good stuff comes up from time to time. There is a zpacks cuben tarp on ebay atm.
>>
>>1092372
I like patagonia's stuff but if I can I'll buy from a small cottage company. Feels good to help the little guy.
>>
>>1093007
Absolutely this. Can you recommend a few that have done well by you?
>>
File: IMG_20170814_194104218_60.jpg (3MB, 2912x1638px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170814_194104218_60.jpg
3MB, 2912x1638px
>>1093012
So being UK based things are little limited locally. I have been using a tent from a Scottish company called Trekkertent for a while now and loved it. I've got a silpoly tarp coming from them at the moment. Got my eye on a Nunatak JMT atm as well. Pic is the tent. The stealth 1.
>>
>>1093013
im guessing thats scotland? based right to roam and wild camping. no car here and manchester based so very limited as to where i can go. annoying
>>
>>1092410
32 length

Manlet confirmed
>>
Because I get a pro deal on OR, Mammut, and a few other brands and I refuse to pay retail for fucking clothes.

And like anons above I will sometimes choose a smaller company for some gear, like Hill People Gear where I get most of my bags and similar products (I'd like to pick up their Wind Cheater this year)
>>
>>1092506
>they are anti-trump
They are right
>>
>>1093201
Nah that's the Spanish Pyrenees, if and when I out in the UK I tend to head to the Lakes or Wales where no one cares if you camp one night in the hills. But if you can have a look at the Pyrenees. The hiking is awesome, it's cheap to get to and it's much quieter than the Alps. I thru-hiked the GR11 this summer and it was brilliant.
>>
>>1092617
Kill yourself hickboy
>>
>>1093366
Gr8 Deb8, M8
>>
>>1093300
>paying retail
You're goddamn right anon, I bought most of my kit when I had prodeals on Rab and Montane

What do you buy once you have everything though?
>>
>>1093423
There's always more stuff to buy. Mountain Hardwear is going to put out a sub 1lb -20f sleeping bag. Gear is love. Gear is life.
>>
>>1093447
>I love /out/doors but I live I lifestyle that contributes to its destruction
>>
>>1093300
>>1093423
How did you get those deals?
>>
>>1093423
You don't. Buy gear is the only interesting part about going /out/. The rest is just to help you figure out which gear to buy next. If you can't think of anything you must plan trips to increasingly distant and dangerous places
>>
I buy used clothes which helps the environment more. Plus, it's less expensive. I also repair them if necessary. Way better to do it that way.

I'm also not being a consumerist retard.
>>
>>1092710
>tfw haven't touched weights since 2002
>tfw lifted for functional strength (football), not big bulging muscles
>tfw still built like I lift every day
>>
>>1093454
Work in an outdoor related industry.
>>
>>1092710
>t. hungry skellington who can't even pick up his own fork
>>
>>1092529
>climbers, hiker and so on, and these are mostly leftists/liberals.
really makes you think
>>
>>1092372
>Patagonia
american brand

/thread
>>
>>1092372
Fuck off viral marketing faggot.
>>
>>1093305
>they are anti-trump
>They are right

You mean left.
>>
File: 1504578878103.jpg (49KB, 740x494px) Image search: [Google]
1504578878103.jpg
49KB, 740x494px
>>1092522
>
>>
>>1092372
I'm not fond of Patagonia. Not even for the political shit, though I don't like it when a company gets political one way or the other. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a company's product only for them to turn around and say I'm the problem for being a consumer. Not only that, most of their products are no better than their cheaper competition's. They're full of self-righteous nonsense, preaching about how their expensive fleeces are saving the world.

If I wanted to spend a lot of money on gear, I'd go Fjallraven, Arcteryx, old Beyond stuff, Canada Goose, even North Face. I just don't see a leap in quality from North Face to Patagonia. Hell, Army issued gear is just as good (Patagonia used to have a contract with the US Military after all).
>>
Because when I see advertising of any brand it goes to the don't buy book. Well that was it with P. never even gone consider buying anything and will destroy it when I get it for free
>>
>>1092378
What do you wear then? Because it seems like the only non-multinational companies are either making extremely shitty and outdated gear or they are sourcing the fabrics from the exact same multinational companies as Patagonia et al and probably cost twice as much since they aren't taking advantage of lower wages in SEA.

>>1092405
Also this, buying used when possible is best. Cheaper prices and less environmental impact.
>>
>>1095435
>making extremely shitty and outdated gear
Any shitty pants, leather boots, wool shirt and hardshell will do just fine compared to meme brands. If you were talking about life saving/threatening stuff I would probably agree with you but other than that you're just paying for marketing, feel good attitude, and look fancy to your retarded instagram followers. There's literally nothing you can do with a patagucci windbreaker that I can't with a 70s flecktarn surplus jacket.

But by all means buy what you like the most, I'm not a filthy commie who cares about how people choose to spend their money.
>>
>>1095444
We're talking about gear from non-multinational companies, not off-brand gear made by Walmart or w/e for cheap. Idk any non-multinationals that aren't just doing only leather or wool. If you're shoe is using a rubber sole then chances are it is, at least in part, being made by a multinational company. If you are wearing boots that are all leather and have no rubber then sorry, but that is outdated shit gear.

Basically all modern gear uses something that even mom and pop places are just ordering and assembling from multi-nationals. Zipper, fabrics, thread, plastics, etc.

Sure you can avoid it all if you want, but it's going to be shit gear that is going to be worse than what was available 200 years ago. Because the skill to make quality gear with old stuff is a dying art, the skilled people have moved on to improved designs and materials from the modern world.
>>
File: 27795_DKAS.jpg (677KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
27795_DKAS.jpg
677KB, 2000x2000px
was thinking of getting pic related for a general purpose/fuckaround winter coat. Is hemp a meme fabric or is it actually useful for outerwear?
>>
>>1092522
thats a man, baby
>>
>>1092692
He didn't win the popular vote
>>
>>1092692
:^)
anon
>>
>>1095504
How much would you be paying? Should probably just get a carhartt
>>
>>1095504
>is hemp a meme
Yes
>is hemp useful for clothing
Yes, but it's literally cotton tier.
>>1095550
>carhartt
Yes, because paying $120 for a 30lb cotton twill jacket insulated with 3 cents' worth of poly fiberfill in sewn through quilting so it isn't warm below 40*F is an even better idea.
>>
>>1095568
Do you know of any jackets in this style that would be better choices? I was looking at some wool options but i think i'd rather go with something synthetic if possible
>>
>>1095639
>style
No, it's kind of hard to get better than what's pictured without switching styles when the entire style revolves around "30 pounds of cotton canvas with cheapshit quilting for insulation"

If you want better and want it to be synthetic, you're looking at either the somewhat fragile regular fleece-lined fall/winter coats from TNF, Marmot, Patagonia, OR, Columbia, etc for ~$50-100 or you're looking at the significantly more expensive high-denier cordura hunting coats (which are usually waterproof/breathable) for $200+.
>>
>>1095662
I see, what are some brands to look at for these hunting coats?
>>
>>1095668
Drake, Greenhead Gear, Banded, Columbia, Sitka, First Lite, and Under Armour.
>>
>>1095688
is shooterking any good?
>>
>>1095696
If that's like kastking but for hunting, then no.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.