[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>local forest is overgrown with underbrush >public is critical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

>local forest is overgrown with underbrush
>public is critical of USFS for aggressive suppression tactics not letting lightning fires clear the understory
>USFS starts letting lightning fires burn as long as no structures are threatened
>public criticizes USFS for not immediately suppressing fires and causing towns to get hazy

What's the solution?
>>
>>1086730
Cant even please all the people all the time
I say let's nature take its course. Current policy seems reasonable. Suppress human knucklehead fires and let lightening strike fires take their course.
>>
Mechanically clear deadfall.

OR

Cut down forest, install shopping centers and housing complexes, automatic firebreak plus economic activity, everyone wins, right?
>>
Duh, sell the land to a private citizen since the government is criminally inept
>>
>>1086892
In that scenario how would that change anything?
>>
>>1087073
Private citizens have incentive to care for their property. The government doesn't.10 million acres burn every year and not a single employee gets fired or jailed
>>
>>1087077
>Firing people for natural disasters

Are you retarded?
>>
>>1087091
>sole job description is "here's an almost unlimited budget, keep wildfires from burning houses"
>fail 90% of the time
>don't even make an attempt 50% of the time
>get shown the fuck up by private companies with a scant fraction of the manpower and budget who do your job orders of magnitude better than you with a pittance of the resources
>criminally mismanage funds and damage people's property through incompetence or malfeasance
>>
>>1087107
>sole job description is "here's an almost unlimited budget, keep wildfires from burning houses"

It's still pretty limited, fire suppression is pretty expensive, and fire suppression tech isn't 100%. There are houses surrounded by hundreds of trees that are hard to protect, especially if they're in the middle of a dry forest. Fire is incredibly fast as well so it's hard to play on what to say. Every time firefighters die to protect structure, the top brass and the fighters in general usually give less and less fucks to sacrifice lives for box of wood that is probably insured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvPa_yEEd4E

>get shown the fuck up by private companies

Contracted fire protection companies are a laughing stock. They get pulled in and treated as a low-level fire crew. They won't usually be put in the front lines like hotshots are. They'll usually be on one of the areas where the fire isn't actively moving towards them.
>>
>>1087077
That's implying aggressive suppression is a good thing. If the private owners of that land were to snuff out lightning fires immediately they'd be mismanaging the land.
>>
>>1087148
No, only the government mismanages. If a private owner suppressed the lightening fires it would be the right thing to do. If they let them burn, that would also be the right thing to do.

This is very simple and I don't understand why /out/ has such a hard time with it. Government = wrong, private = right.
>>
>>1086730
>public criticizes
Alot of outrage is manufactured bull so does the actual public care?
>>
>>1087150
Is not complicated.

>Skin in the game
To have "skin in the game" is to have incurred monetary risk by being involved in achieving a goal. In the phrase, "skin" is a synecdoche for the person involved, and "game" is the metaphor for the actions on whatever field of play is at reference. The aphorism is particularly common in business, finance, and gambling, and is also used in politics.
>>
>>1087150
Either you're retarded, being ironic, or a master troll. I just can't tell anymore.
>>
>>1087230
This. No carrot = no motivation. Without a reward or a punishment humans have no motivation to perform.

>>1087286
>I literally can't believe someone has different beliefs than me. You're either being silly or malicious because only smart people think like me.

The modern liberal, everyone. Raised in a cloud of his own ego so thick that when confronted with dissent to his beliefs, his brain shuts down.
>>
>>1087286
It's the rantings of someone who simultaneously believes that the government is racist, sexist blah blah blah but also the solution to all our problems
>>
>>1087228
It isn't manufactured when USFS burns down your house by accident
>>
>>1087299
I think you mean """""by accident"""""

No secret that FS views private land ownership as a threat to their """"conservation efforts"""""
>>
>>1087298
No, I don't believe the government is racist or sexist, those things are actually liberal victim politics the government likes to teach young people to keep them from becoming independent.

And I definitely don't think the government is the solution to any problems.
>>
>>1087312
You are for private ownership of national forests and parks?
>>
>>1086730
Set the public on fire. That should clear out some scrubs.
>>
>>1087323
What person wouldn't be? Other than the government employees that would lose their free paycheck, that is.

There would be a rocky transition period, of course. It would take a while to staff up with people who can and want to do the job, since most of the existing "land managers" would just opt for unemployment checks rather than transition to a system where they actually have to produce results and help people. But in the long run it's the smartest option.
>>
>>1087293
No I'm baffled by the amount of mental gymnastics you're doing by saying that aggressively snuffing out fires is fine when it's private land but mismanagement when it's the government doing it or that actively burning forrest or letting fires burn to a certain point is somehow also mismanagement when it's the government but completely fine when it's private.

It's terribly black and white and also an idiotic and infatalized version of reality. You should probably leave your parent's basement at some point and get out in the real world.
>>
>>1087329
>be company
>buy all the land for sale
>begin dumping waste into it, IT'S MY LAND I CAN DO WHAT I WANT
>nothing personelle, ole faithful.

Better double think
>government control ruins peoples private property they build their house on
>it's not the job of the person to firebreak their property, it's the governments!
>>
>>1087329
>existing "land managers" would just opt for unemployment checks rather than transition to a system where they actually have to produce results and help people.
>actually have to help people

In July a huge fire in eastern Montana started, a bunch of ranchers lost their grassland, and a national wildlife refuge waived their cattle restrictions and allowed them to graze so that they didn't have to sell off all their livestock early and lose money.

At the same time government crews are working to contain the fire that caused damage to their lands so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Funny how the government actually works to help people huh?

https://wildlifemanagement.institute/outdoor-news-bulletin/august-2017/cmr-allows-emergency-grazing
>>
>>1086892
That means the people are inept too since they are the ones putting the government in power.
>>
>>1087429
>Government workers put out government caused fire on government owned land with great inefficiency and huge cost

Yay government helped!!!!!!!
>>
>>1087429
Most of the grazing land burned belongs to the feds, BLM, and the ranchers had leased it for grazing.
>>
>>1087499
Also they were gracious enough to "allow" ranchers to graze on land that they had wrongfully taken away from public use anyway.

God, the Government is so wise and benevolent. I'm so glad I don't have to think about anything because the Government does it for me!
>>
>>1087502
And by "lease" of course we mean "extortion".
>>
>>1087512
Being able to lease land at much less than the private rate doesn't seem like extortion to me, but what do I know I'm not a Bundy dick sucker.
>>
>>1087499
>Government caused
>Current source of the fire is unknown

Hmmmm
>>
>>1087531
>lease it to us at a quarter of the fair-market value or we'll condemn and seize it and not pay anything!
>not extortion
Pick one.
>>
>>1087536
Reread what I wrote, then reread what you wrote and see if that makes any sense.

Why would the government condem its own land if nobody wanted to rent it from them?

Think hard now. I know it hurts.
>>
>>1087531
Selling a dehydrated man his own water at much less the market rate isn't extortion either I guess.
>>
>>1087543
So you would rather pay $20 per water bottle than $1.35 per water bottle just because the $20 bottle comes from a private enterprise?
>>
>>1087533
Do you think the usfs is going to admit they caused the fire?
>>
Boomers pls go and stay go
Why the fuck are you even on 4chan in the first place you stupid old fucks?
>>
>>1087566
Nope we own this bitch. You will have to live in our shadows until you are an old geezer.

Ps, lift some weights you pencil necked geeks you look like the 90lb weakling
>>
>>1087568
You dont own shit except wasted lives and ruined minds.
Congrats on being the worst generation.
>>
>>1087572
Ahahaha

Your generation can't even distinguish between a boy and a girl and even at 63 I have more testosterone than you, you bottom bitch worm
>>
>>1087589
>old man assumes everyone is a fat tranny
I know youre a bit removed, but you may want to start getting checked for degenerative brain diseases.
Cant wait for you to be dead you disgusting old piece of shit :^)
>>
>>1087546

No, I'd rather just be able drink MY water.
Those lands belong to the people and the illegitimate land management organizations are extorting money from people to "allow" them to use something that belongs to them.

Although maybe the "water for a dying man" comparison was a bad idea since liberalism is inherently psychopathic so you wouldn't care if he died anyway.

In fact I don't know if I can come up with an example that would get through to you because it would have to be about someone else, which is something you will never care about.
>>
>>1087612
All your failures are my fault little boy. You are so frail that your arm breaks when you battonny chop chop
>>
>>1087620
>What's the tragedy of the commons? Lol donno
>>
>>1087622
Failures? Please. Im fuckin set and nothing in my life has anything to do with you or your trash tier peers except seeing your ignorant, bigoted, half retarded posts around /out/
Youre just waiting to die alone after a wasted life, good riddance.
>>
>>1087631
>green text quips

Thanks for tapping out of the argument.
>>
>>1087636
Like you had one to begin with
>>
This thread again.
I say treat the fires like this thread
>Let it burn until it becomes a threat to life or property, then and only then prune or deleted
>>
>>1087620
>drink MY water
Most people pay for utilities.
>>
>>1087542
Ah, yep, I fucked that up. Didn't look far enough back in the reply chain.
>>
>>1087656
Less than five cents per year for drinking water. Is that out of your league?
>>
>>1086730
Cut down all the trees, and put them in a tree museum, etc.
>>
>>1087499
Source?
>>
File: 1499545691310.jpg (70KB, 720x781px) Image search: [Google]
1499545691310.jpg
70KB, 720x781px
Jesus Christ "privatize everything" fags are retarded. Even the most efficient private system must always put profits first and is beholden to paying out shareholders.

>>1087620
>No, I'd rather just be able drink MY water.
If those lands were in private ownership then you wouldn't get to use them at all, unless it was profitable for the owner for you to do so. You're delusional and don't understand the first thing about conservation.
>>
>>1087741
Conservation is a meme
>>
>>1087299
I think the outrage of their management tactics is made up, not the outrage when your house gets burned down. That's why I'm wondering if the public even cares.
>>
>>1087741
I have private land and let people who I've met use it for free.
>>
>>1087871
How much land and where do you live?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.