[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is staying in a poncho shelter? I was thinking it would be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

How is staying in a poncho shelter? I was thinking it would be neat to just carry a poncho and have my friend carry one too while backpacking then at night we can snap them together into a two man tent.

However one friend is trying to say I really should just get a hammock or carry a small 1 man tent instead, and that sleeping down in the grass really isn't worth it, because poncho shelters aren't sealed up so bugs and snakes can get in more easily.
>>
>>1086642
T I C K S
I
C
K
S
>>
>>1086642
Cramped and you'll be covered in bugs.

They also fare very poorly in any kind of wind.
>>
File: 46055i-Polnische-Zeltbahn.png (824KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
46055i-Polnische-Zeltbahn.png
824KB, 1024x800px
>>1086685
>Cramped
I mean wouldn't any 1 or 2 person tent be cramped? The polish models are actually pretty roomy, they make a closed polygon and stake down at every corner too so they do decent in wind.
>>
>>1086705
So you don't deny the bugs
>>
>>1086642
GI Ponchos suck. Not only are they around 2.5lbs, but they aren't even flame retardant. For $50, I expect my gear to not get massive holes in when it catches a spark.

I typically sleep in an open bivvy during the summer. They don't require any setup (stakes/poles/time) and SOL's is a lot lighter than anything else I've seen. Aside from the occasional mosquito bite, which never seems to be an issue after the second day anyway, I've never woken up with anything in my bag.

>>1086649
>>1086685
You sound like a car camper talking out of his ass because you don't like the idea of someone being more comfortable 'roughing it' than you.
>>
>>1086706
Because its a non-issue. Lay a small light tarp out under you if a sleeping mat and bag isn't enough.

>>1086709
>For $50
Where the fuck are you paying that much for a poncho? These Polish ones are like $12 each, and as for weight, I figure if you're bringing raingear anyway why not also make your raingear your tent to save space?
I've never used a bivy before, my friend just wants me to get into backpacking with him.
>>
>>1086705
>>1086709
Depends entirely on the style of tent. Some are, some aren't. The current lightest 1-man tent is surprisingly roomy, roomier than a USGI shelter half or poncho-rigged-as-shelter.

Yes, GI ponchos suck. Most milsurp sucks for modern usage.

>>1086718
>mosquitoes
>nonissue
>stopped by laying on a tarp
I'm sorry we can't all live in your fantasy flying-insect-free paradise, but when the #1 annoying insect is also the #1 disease vector I want a goddamn bugnet.
>>
>>1086718
>Where the fuck are you paying that much for a poncho?
Local military surplus store. I probably could have done better if I looked online. I haven't been caught in the rain since I changed to a Frogg Toggs poncho a couple months ago (stupid summer, I need to test my gear!), but it looks like it'll do just as well in moderate rain (though I wouldn't hike through brush with it on).
>>1086718
>I've never used a bivy before
In moderate rain they're pretty comfy. SOL's is made with tyvek 14-S, so it's rain resistant (no tsunamis, mind you) and increases the insulative power of your bag by 70%, so you can pack a lighter sleeping bag. I use it pretty much exclusivly in the summer.

>>1086721
>mosquitoes
>nonissue
>stopped by laying on a tarp
Pretty sure this was meant to be directed at me.
>I'm sorry we can't all live in your fantasy
And I'm sorry we can't make you feel better about yourself by all being raging pussies. I spend months at a time in the woods, and a common pattern I've noticed is that once I've been out for a few days, washing my self and my clothes in river or lake water, the mosquitoes stop bothering me nearly as much as they do when I first get out there.
>>
>>1086731
And a single mosquito bite will leave a welt bigger than if I'd taken a point-blank hit from a hopped-up paintball gun shooting chilled balls. And there's literally hundreds of millions of them here from April through October.

I need a mosquito net. Need, not want. Because mosquito bites can be a medical emergency in large quantities if you react to them.
>>
>>1086642
corporals corner on youtube has a whole series on using the USGI poncho
>>
>>1086721
>when the #1 annoying insect is also the #1 disease vector
So, never?
>>
>>1086761
Your deadly allergic reaction to mosquito bites is pretty rare, I'd say. Sorry you lost the genetic lottery in that respect, but for most people it's more of a comfort thing, at the most.
>>
sleeping with the bugs is no fun.
>>
Six moon designs makes a poncho shelter that seems pretty roomy, plus they have a bug net insert for it. Downside is price though, it's like $150 for the poncho and another 130 or so for the bug net
>>
>>1086920
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/gatewood-cape
This guy
>>
>>1086850
>reading comprehension
>>
I've slept under two shelter halves and it fucking sucks in any real rain. The poncho hoods will frequently flood with water and pour into your sleeping quarters, and it's just too small for anyone to enjoy themselves. Your pack will be soaked

do not fall for the poncho shelter meme. They're nice for a walk but do not replace tarps
>>
File: disgusted.jpg (101KB, 1024x904px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted.jpg
101KB, 1024x904px
>>1086642
How has no one brought up how it sucks when it's raining and you need to take a shit?
>>
>>1086850
Thing is, it's ONLY the mosquitoes in and around my home area. I can travel a couple hundred miles and not react to bites at all.

It's probably due to the fact that mosquitoes here are the size of small hummingbirds and it legit hurts when one bites you (almost as bad as a horsefly bite).
>>
>>1087051
>he doesn't just hold his shit in until he gets home
>>
camping under a poncho just sucks, so does sleeping in a bedroll in the open, so does sleeping under a tarp

I just pack a lightweight 2 man tent and am happy. Dont care if it rains, because I will stay dry and end up with a lot less ticks than I would have under a poncho or tarp
>>
File: Symptoms-of-lyme-disease.jpg (53KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Symptoms-of-lyme-disease.jpg
53KB, 720x480px
I don't know about elsewhere, but I camp in Michigan and around here there's shitloads if ticks that carry Lyme disease and that's not something to be careless around.

So I always sleep in my tent. There's no way in hell I'd ever sleep in the open, not around here at least.
>>
poncho tarp + bivy. Solid shelther. Just stick to an A frame. Sod all these fancy set ups.
>>
>>1087308
>camping under a poncho just sucks
It's all relative. If you're car camping in the same areas for a week then a giant tent is the way to go; if you're hiking 25 miles/day and it won't rain anyway, there's no point in the weight or the setup and takedown time.

But see the thing is, people with pussy opinions tend to have never tried actually roughing it, so I can be pretty sure that you don't know what you're talking about anyway. If you don't want to try something new, say that you don't want to try something new, but don't tell other people they're idiots because it makes you feel better about being a little bitch.

>>1087970
I went with a group up to the Idaho panhandle mountains, we ended up in an area where the deer were so dense that we had to sweep our campsite of deer shit before we had room to sit down. Needless to say, the ticks were pretty bad there. On the hike up I pulled countless ticks off my legs. Everyone else in the group slept up in hammocks, I slept on the ground in an open bivvy. Didn't have a single tick crawl into my bag.

They don't seek prey, they hang out on grass and wait for prey to come to them.
>>
>>1086731
Not in the Everglades mate. It stops being a comfort issue when you're camping in the Everglades in the middle of summer. I've had welts 2 inches wide all over my body, and I spray 99% deet.
>>
>>1088020
What's your diet? Do you eat raw garlic or onions?
>>
>>1086849
Try camping someplace other than your back yard!

>Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include: malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever,[1] filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis, Venezuelan equine encephalitis, La Crosse encephalitis, and Zika fever.

Good luck with those mosquitos, stupid.
>>
>>1086849
>the top 4 of 5 insect-transmitted diseases likely to kill a human are transmitted either solely or primarily by mosquito
Sure, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme might be ever so slightly more common, but Malaria, Zika, West Nile, and one of half a dozen encephalitises will kill the fuck out of you. So will Dengue, but that's not been found in North America (yet).
>>
>>1086709
>You sound like a car camper talking out of his ass because you don't like the idea of someone being more comfortable 'roughing it' than you.
That, or I would rather just sleep in a hammock where I will be more comfortable and less likely to get covered in parasites while having the same or better view of my surroundings instead of going out of my way to give myself a harder time just to make my balls feel bigger than some stranger's on the internet.
>>
>>1087978
yeah, relative to any standard of human decency poncho camping sucks

>but it's so good!
I bet this fag lives somewhere with five days of rain a year
>>
>>1087978
>Didn't have a single tick crawl into my bag.
Yeah, and when me and my buddy go bushwhacking, I'll always wear long pants and end up covered in ticks while he usually wears shorts and never gets them. As you said:
>It's all relative
>>
>>1086642
It's small and not all that stormproof.

>>1086649
>>1086685
Are you so lacking in empathy that you're unable to imagine a person unlike yourself?
>camping in high alpine/mountains
>camping in spring/winter/fall
No ticks, and very few bugs. This is when tarps excel.
>>
>>1088252
>No ticks
I've found ticks at 14,000 feet in the spring and the fall.

winter camping will get you away from ticks, but in the mountains you're in snow deeper than you are tall.
>>
>>1087978
I'm a far cry from a little bitch man. I was in the Army for 6 and 1/2 years, and have done all the sleeping under a poncho, under a shelter half or in the open I care to do. Its far better to carry a lightweight 2 man tent from REI or TNF.

a 2 man tent weighs less than a bottle of water.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.