[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how many acres should I buy of UK woodland for it to be livable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: wallhaven-336383.jpg (609KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-336383.jpg
609KB, 1920x1200px
how many acres should I buy of UK woodland for it to be livable for one person, assuming I'm not hunting for food? and what kinda price should I expect per acre of UK woodland?
>>
>>1083962
>livable
>but not hunting
Uh. Does that mean you JUST want to live there, or does that mean you wish to sustain yourself via farming?

If the former, a 1/6th acre plot will hold a decent house and still have something that passes as a yard.

If the latter, 2 acres per person in the household will keep you alive and healthy with no storebought food, but your diet's gonna be simple as fuck and thus boring.
>chickens for eggs and chicken meat
>goats for milk and the occasional goat roast
>raised-bed garden growing peas, strawberries, potatoes, cabbage, onions, kale, and turnips
>actual tilled field (3/4 to 1 acre) for corn and maybe winter wheat (not sure where in the UK you are, southern half can do winter wheat and corn in 1 year, northern half really can't)
>blackberry/raspberry/other-berry brambles and bushes against the house and along your garden borders
5 acres can provide you with a varied diet and an orchard (which will take at least 10 years to start producing in anything more than token quantities) while not taking constant effort to keep the animals out of the veggies.
>>
>>1083970
this is going to sound silly but my plan is to buy food from the supermarket I know I know I'm an idiot etc but it's how I want to do it
>>
>>1083973
Buying food isn't a bad plan, it's more practical unless you enjoy being a slave to your land. Does the UK even have undeveloped forest that is available to purchase?
>>
>>1083982
yea nothing local but I'm willing to move for it
>>
>>1083962

My folks have 70 acres of woodland we planted in the mid 1990s. Most of the deciduous trees are ash. Just from pruning the ash alone they produce eight to ten tons of firewood a year. Their house is huge (9 bed, 5 bath, 2 kitchen) and the heating and hot water is all from a wood gassifier (which is also huge) that does a 15kg log burn every 3 days in Winter, and about every week in Summer. As a bonus they've got solar PV on the roofs of the (you guessed it - huge) log stores. They're planning on hooking in two Tesla house batteries and a diesel genny, which should take them off-grid.
>>
>>1084012
TEACH ME
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.