[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going out for awhile (at least a week) and trying to take as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMGP5426_convert.jpg (287KB, 1142x1725px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5426_convert.jpg
287KB, 1142x1725px
Going out for awhile (at least a week) and trying to take as much food as reasonably possible without adding too much weight to my pack. I'm trying to balance absolute nutrition with shit I actually WANT to eat since cooking is a nice comfy thing to do while camping. What do you guys eat when going out for extended periods backpacking? I'm going shopping in a couple days, here's a draft of my grocery list. If you guys have any suggestions add 'em on (or post your own).

* Instant mashed potatoes
* hot chocolate powder
* mac and cheese
* electrolyte drink mix
* trail mix (nut/seed heavy)
* dried cranberries
* nut and/or chocolate bars
* some type of non-refrigerated meat
* cheese (for the first couple days)
* powdered milk (for tea and mac)

OC pic related.
>>
Most long distance hikers (including myself) stick with ramen, snickers, and knorrs pasta sides. Not great, but calorie dense and light.
>>
>>1080651
I guess that's the thing. Long distance an/or thru hikers seem to eat like shit, which sucks but I understand. I've been going semi-permanently /out/ (camping for over a week, restocking, then going out again) for awhile and I'm not hiking every single day but want to keep my food interesting and make cooking an activity rather than a necessity, I guess.
>>
Protip, check out completefoods, ending is .co rather than .com
lots of diy Soylent type powders for fairly cheap. I don't eat it normally but for long trips it is a godsend. Bring half normal food for when you want comfy meals by the fire and half instant powdered dinner for when you're so goddamned tired you just want calories and sleep. This also makes it possible to occasionally bring some heavier real foods, since it's comparatively quite light.
>>
>>1080630
> MURICA food

Rice, pasta, bulgur...
lots of dried fruits (pineapple, grapes, cranberries, goji)
If you care about protein: cheese, dried/cured meat, dried textured soy protein...
>>
Dried tomatoes, basil, salami, pasta, parmesan. Tortillas' are basically my out bread so I've done wraps/sandwiches, burritos, quesadillas', just warm and smothered in garlic butter which is so damn good.

Take the time to look around your grocery to see what you can use.
>>
>>1080713
There are websites where you can order dehydrated vegetables in bulk. You could get a good mix of them and add them to most meals you get.
>>
File: RIMG0128.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0128.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
Really depends on if I have to cook on my own fuel.
pic is some instant menu making for a 3 week trip
instant potato mash is my favorite, dried broccoli and cheese works well together.
couscous is easy to cook, you can load it with dried veggies, and add some dressing like oil/vinegar
instant rice is instant rice, but you can do your own thai chicken curries
instant beans do work!
mini pastas make instant mac n cheese.
dried fish and shrimp taste considerably better than freeze dried meats, even tofu derivates like mock duck do taste better than freeze dried meat.
dehydrate your own veggies or buy them bulk dehydrated
spices, spices, spices
Bring cheese and bread and hard sausage for the first few days
tea and sugar, nothing like a hot cup of tea on a cold day.

snickers bars and other snacks are the basic of a healthy diet, if you work hard you need a snack every two hours or so.
always forage when you can, there is so much edible leafs around and your instant food tastes so much better with a bit of fresh greens.
>>
File: RIMG0136.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0136.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>1081693
I ended up with big bags of caloric dense instant food in 6 different flavors. they are measured to fill my cocking pot. In the evening when I made camp, I ended up eating my fill, about 2/3 of the pot and ate the rest for breakfast. For the rest of the day I did snack only till camp.
This left me with a surplus of oats mix and milk powder, which came in handy once I found some wild berries.

This works but was mostly do to the climate, you couldn't really cook outside the tent most of the times. For normal weather I recommend smaller bags and enjoying your lunch breaks.
>>
>>1080630
This ain't food yo.
>>
>>1080630
fucking beans and rice anon.
>>
>>1080630
Whole Grain Rice (Lundberg brand is amazing)
Dry beans
Flour/meal (wheat, rice, bean, corn, etc)
Pasta/Dry Noodles
Spices
Trail mix (as you mentioned) is always pretty great.
Dehydrated meals (There's a shit load of meals you can make at home then dehydrate in a dehydrator that are great for taking camping; stews, mac-n-cheese, meatloaf...endless selection really.)

In fact, if you are a camper/hiker who will be doing this often, it is very worth it to get/make a good dehydrator. You can buy/farm in bulk and dehydrate a ton literal of food.
>>
>>1082431
This, if you go innawoods a lot its worth getting a dehydrator setup for cheap/bulk meal prep
>>
>>1080630
Ok, and what for day two?
>>
>>1080630
Pinecones
>>
>>1082501
I bought enough of this stuff to last two people at least a week. This is our fifth day out and we've got a ton of food left. Working pretty well but wishing I'd bought more instant mash and some hot cocoa
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.