[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi.... Any minerals expert here? If yes could you please tell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

Hi....
Any minerals expert here? If yes could you please tell me the name of this thing?
>>
>>
>>
>>1080365
Chalcopyrite maybe?
>>
That's a rock
>>
>>1080371
Do you need more pics to be sure?
>>1080378
That's what I think too
>>
>>1080381

If you had some unglazed white tile to scrape a corner of it across (streak test) and report the color of the streak left behind as well as scratch it as defined by the Moh's Hardness Scale, that could help identify. I can only get so much from pictures just going by the apparent color and cyrstal habit of the mineral. https://www.nps.gov/articles/mohs-hardness-scale.htm
>>
>>1080365
looks like sphalerite
>>
>>1080499

Luster is greasy to metallic, diaphaneity is opaque, cleavage is poor and irregular, but I can't tell if the hand sample has dust on it, or if there's finer crystals growing atop the larger ones. The second picture shows what looks like metallic luster with some iridescence, which would lend to chalcopyrite.
>>
File: P6240005 (1024x815).jpg (619KB, 1024x815px) Image search: [Google]
P6240005 (1024x815).jpg
619KB, 1024x815px
>>1080504
chalcopyrite and sphalerite usually occur together.

you can't look at a specimen and assume it's just one thing.
>>
>>1080522

In general, it's difficult to identify from just a photograph.
>>
>>1080527
in general yes.

Sometimes you get lucky though. The hopper faces on OP's rock are typical sphalerite, and the apparent combination with chalcopyrite is distinctive.

it's also possible OP has a very nice and brassy piece of hematite-limonite, but that's less likely. Sphalerite is far more common with hopper faces and striations primarily because it's not as soluble as hematite.
>>
>>1080365
No Muhammad Muhammad. You cannot explode yourself with this rock.
>>
>>1080366
The iridiscence and the yellowish color, with the metallic luster, reminds me of Bornite, or it could be Chalcopyrite, need more info, they appear in the same paragenesis as they are both sulfide minerals.
>>
Don't know much about minerals, but I'm always reminded of that arc in Breaking Bad where Hank heals his spinal injury by collecting minerals and harnessing their powers.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.