[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you are loners and how does that influences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

File: 1428463196137.png (456KB, 501x542px) Image search: [Google]
1428463196137.png
456KB, 501x542px
How many of you are loners and how does that influences your /out/ activities?
>>
>>1079467
>does that influences your /out/ activities?
no. but it is a huge benefit. in case you really want feel and experience the nature and its freedom.

german females are lazy and busy drinking coffee while smoking cigs. the sporty ones are more into jogging... nah
>>
File: 1458697302512.jpg (370KB, 1751x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458697302512.jpg
370KB, 1751x1080px
>>1079478
>the sporty ones are more into jogging..
>not wanting a 10/10 aryan goddess gym bunny
what are you, a faggot?
>>
File: sandwich.jpg (10KB, 327x154px) Image search: [Google]
sandwich.jpg
10KB, 327x154px
>>1079467
I'm a solo backpacker, not really by choice. I am constantly aware that if I become injured or ill I am on my own. Every step is planned. I am very careful with fire, guns, knives, and axes. I'm hesitant to take some risks before fully understanding the dangers posed.
I avoid some trails because of the potential for injury. Basically I plan more and do things more slower than most would
>>
>>1079493
RU me?
>>
Well basically if I spot them before they spot me I'll be prone to crawling beneath the bush line deeper and deeper into the forest, and when they cross a place where my sound would carry I stop moving completely.

I have autism.
>>
Certified and self imposed loner reporting in. Just means I can hike how I like, when I like.
>>
File: chuckwagonrecollectin.jpg (34KB, 419x378px) Image search: [Google]
chuckwagonrecollectin.jpg
34KB, 419x378px
>>1080226
I dunno, I'd say let's go backpacking together and find out, but I'd probably end up hating you. It's really awful, the less time you spend with people the lonelier you get, but you get less and less tolerant of others. I've got family who have been long haul truckers for decades and I see this in them. Not where I wanna be, gotta break the cycle somehow.
>>
I'm married and I have decent work friendships, but I am an introvert at heart. After fulfilling all my little social obligations to maintain a pleasant work environment I'm pretty drained.

My wife isn't exhausting like other people are since we are so close and have a strong relationship. But even then I absolutely require time alone. /out/ gives me that. I backpack alone mostly, though she will come sometimes (not lately due to injuries and now pregnancy. Soon...). Usually just me and the dog either for a dayhike or an overnighter. It's great, and really lets me recharge. I also mountain bike alone.

I recently started climbing which is inherently social to some extent...I'm still coming to terms with the whole thing but I'm going to pursue it.

There is something relaxing and healing about being alone with your thoughts in the wild. It's inherently your time; nobody else has a lease on it and nobody else has a stake in its management. You move on from a rest or get up in the morning when you're ready, without external pressure. You go fast if you want to. Want to play a flute? You don't have to feel shy or self conscious. Want to smoke a pipe? Nobody cares. Want to do yoga, or hum, or read a book? Do whatever you want. Judgement free with no time pressure, and nobody expecting you to make conversation. That last part is oddly important to me.

It influences my /out/ activities by making me feel like I don't get enough of it. I really am loneliest when I am among people, for the most part.
>>
File: 1478055325755.jpg (24KB, 549x471px) Image search: [Google]
1478055325755.jpg
24KB, 549x471px
>>1079489
Want, yes, but can't keep up. Not Chad enough for Stacy.

So ... forever alone
>>
I'm a friendless loner and I've done all types of hiking - alone and with a coworker and with a group. Alone is best. You don't have to deal with the others being too slow or too fast, you start when you decide, you keep the speed at what you want, you don't get all the pressure of what others want.
>>
>>1079467
i wish i could be more of a loner and not intimidated to go camping by myself. Im not sure what i am afraid of other than my own thoughts.
>>
>>1081023
>I'm a friendless loner
>alone and with a coworker and with a group
tell me your ways, senpai. I guess going /out/ alone in the Burgerland, Straya and Syrup ain't too tbag since there's so much land that you can go days without meeting other people, in Europe is a far more social activity with lots of groups in every single camping ground.
>>
>>1081155
I am in Europe (the shitty Balkans, so lots of mountains here). You always meet people on the trails, especially on the weekends.
You can easily find a coworker who wants to go in the mountains since it's a popular hobby and most people are idiots who underestimate the difficulty of going without a lift or car.
>>
>>1079489
>>1080789

I've dated 3 Les Mills (is this an international brand? idk think high end overpriced karlie kloss type gym chain) going girls. Went to private schools and shit, the last one's dad is a lawyer on the queen's counsel. believe me, it isn't worth it after the novelty of having sex with people who would have looked down their nose at me in school wears off (2 months max).

you're missing out on a mediocre experience, don't worry about it. I actually try to date /out/ kind of girls but im not fit and practical enough for them. grass is always greener anon

FUCK PRECOCIOUS CARDIOBUNNIES
AND BEWARE OF TINDERSLUTS

t. not a chad, just overconfident and assertive
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 540x808px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 540x808px
I moved away from my friends for work. Long work hours, /out/ habits, and my tendency to avoid potential uncomfortable social situations have kept me from reaching out to meet new people to go /out/ with. I'm lonely and I want friends, but I'm socially retarded and I'm afraid to reach out to strangers.
>>
File: cuppaChags.jpg (2MB, 1677x2111px) Image search: [Google]
cuppaChags.jpg
2MB, 1677x2111px
I work all week and come home to my wife and kid. But the weekends are mine.

I mostly just bushw'hack through natl forest trying to find interesting things i spotted on google earth or satellite map on my phone. Then i stop and cook a haunch of meat on a fire. Then i listen to an ebook or podcast. Then i go to bed in my simple a-frame. Then i wake up and make chaga tea before walking back home to hang out by the pool and get drunk with my thicc wife.
>>
>>1079467
Anybody in this thread should read Abbey's 'Desert Solitude'?
>>
>>1081450
Sorry, meant has anybody in this thread read 'Desert Solitude'? I wouldn't tell you what to do /out/.
>>
>>1080586
Have you tried using one of those meet up sites for activities? I'm sure you could find a group that meets up for day hikes and spend time with them that isn't a huge commitment if you don't like them
>>
File: barndance.png (1MB, 664x924px) Image search: [Google]
barndance.png
1MB, 664x924px
>>1081461
I don't really jive with most outdoorsy types, the ones I do also go /out/ solo. I think I'm going to keep that hobby to myself. I'll just drink with a couple of ok coworkers ad maybe teach them to fish or something. That or commit to this hermit thing and get waay more into trapping and woodworking and become some sort of latter day mountain man who is eventually murdered by the gummint over back taxes.
I appreciate the advice though friend, surely it will be helpful to others in this thread!
>>
>>1081430
>believe me, it isn't worth it after the novelty of having sex with people who would have looked down their nose at me in school wears off (2 months max
I mean sure I may believe you, anon, but it's easier to say that meanwhile you keep fucking them.
>>
>>1081467
>I don't really jive with most outdoorsy types, the ones I do also go /out/ solo.
I know what you mean. I've done a couple of those meet ups and most people fall into two categories; people that are superficially into it and freak out over every little thing but are unprepared for everything and the people that are massive control freaks/no it alls that freak out if something doesn't go according to how they think it should. I still ended up meeting a few good people that I still go camping with from time to time though that are like me and like to just "go with the flow"
>>
>>1079467
No friends, live alone, work alone. I just enjoy nature, water, my horse, stars, plants... but sometimes it gets sad when I sit by campfire and no one will tell you their story
>>
>>1082366
I feel like this isn't real.
>>
>>1082366
Would setforawhile/ 10 with
>>
>>1082366
Sounds like you have it all figured out, mate. But yeah even though it's great to be alone, sometimes it sucks. Also it's nice to have someone to share memories with.
>>
It's great. I can spend every spare moment as far away from people as possible and not only is it acceptable but people actually admire me for it.
>>
>>1080258
>when I like.
This is the best part. You can hike and backpack so much more when you don't have to coordinate with anybody else.
>>
>>1081499
I'm more of the controlling type because I came from a scouting backround. When I get around some other former scouts though (real scouts), we are like two coats of paint. It's so cool to be able to communicate/ coordinate with the maximum of a grunt or gesture.
>>
Most of my time /out/ is hunting or preparing for hunting. Sometimes I wish I had a partner or someone to do it with. There is a guy that I've gone with once or twice but I notice its always a shittier time vs when I'm alone.
>>
>>1080226
me too reportin in
>>
>>1082845
>>1080226
Any of my clones in New England? I'll hike with your ass if you are.
>>
>>1082858
Not a clone but CT reporting in.
>>
>>1083089
That ain't New England, pard.
>>
File: The_Old_Man_and_his_Dog.jpg (376KB, 800x648px) Image search: [Google]
The_Old_Man_and_his_Dog.jpg
376KB, 800x648px
>>1080719
You sound alot like me yet I'm so engrossed in my own world I can't say I ever feel lonely besides you're never alone with man's best friend.
>>
>>1079467
Yeah. Im a total loner. And Aussie girls with give you the clap and fuck your best mate. Honestly the thoughts are less dark when im /out/.
>>
>>1083131
What about them outback ranch jobs where you just drive around the desert and do maintenance on wells and shit? Could be a good way to forget about all that shit.
>>
>>1079467
i'm a loner because i can't control stress, if i feel any kind of pressure and i'm losing my mind. People make me stress.
>>
>>1083139
Station Hand? I'd love to get a job at a station.
>>
>>1083115
... Yes, it is.
>>
>>1083144
Yeah, why not? Is it hard to get a job doin that?
>>
>>1079467
I guess its easier to drag a mountain bike and go into places i shouldn't be alone, plus dont have to worry about loose lips.
>>
>>1082858
Not them but I'm another loner. I'm in Southern NH.
>>
File: SandWild.jpg (10KB, 285x177px) Image search: [Google]
SandWild.jpg
10KB, 285x177px
>>1083198
Middle NH here. There are some hikes in the Whites I won't do alone because of how easy it would be to injure an ankle on a rock. I'm looking to go up there this weekend now that I fixed my truck. Probably Sandwich Wilderness because I hardly see anyone there.
>>
File: 1436350080859.gif (387KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1436350080859.gif
387KB, 269x270px
>>1080232
lmao I don't hike but I can 100% see me doing this.

It's spooky how autism affects all of us the same way.

I'm like this in public too. If I walk down an aisle in the food store and someone is already in it... pic related.
>>
>>1083419
Like which ones? I've solo hiked in the Presidentials and Franconia. I'm going solo backpacking in the Whites next week.

Sandwich is cool. I was there over the weekend. I did Whiteface and Passaconway. Watch out for Passaconway, the climb is iffy when wet.

I wish I was farther north so I didn't have to drive so far to get to the Whites but I don't let the distance stop me.

Favorite mountain in the state?
>>
Rather not related, but anyway...
I daydream about getting awya a lot, maybe because I do awfully at college, maybe because of that people tire me with their bullshit, maybe because I have anxiety and have trouble getting a job. I want to become an adventurer and live on my terms.
Maybe I hit big, so I will be able to live comfortably?
Maybe I will end up poor and just travel the world?
Maybe I turn criminal and revolutionary just to fuck with government?
Who knows...
>>
>>1083450
I'm actually new to the state. I've been unable to get out there much because of rain and my truck breaking down, but I'd have to say that The Bowl is the most spectacular mountain I've seen yet.
>>
>>1083535
Bummer! This summer has been so great for hiking because of the cool weather.

I haven't been in NH too long but I'm starting to get a feel for things. My best advice is to pick up the AMC White Mountain book. It's an amazing resource for hike planning.

If you wanted to go hiking sometime I'd be into it. I'm mid-twenties and in pretty good shape.
>>
>>1083450
Different guy here, but Beaver Brook trail is downright treacherous, and the Kinsmans have some nasty scrambles.

I really enjoy Cannon Mtn, and Little Haystack. Monadnock can be great if there aren't a lot of people around.
>>
>>1083542
The book is actually in the mail, I had been making my own maps using QGIS, but I finally caved on discovery and am adhering to the experts, the region is just a bit overwhelming to me. So many mountains, so many trails. All the mountains run straight where I come from.
I'd be down to hike, drop me a line at [email protected]
>>
>>1083551
Monadnock is a mountain I do so often. I'm less than thirty minutes away so it's my default lazy hike. Pumpelly is my favorite trail up it.
>>1083555
Cool, I'll email you. You're gonna love that book. It's so much fun to just open up one of the maps, pick a mountain, and then stitch together a trip while checking the book for specific characteristics of each trail. The AMC do gods work up here.
>>
>>1083562
Yeah I cannot wait to get it, hopefully this weekend's trip will be the last one blind and I can spend my september doing hikes out of the book.
>>
>>1083566
They also have a book containing a bunch of New England backpacking trips that are pre-planned so you just need your gear and supplies and it tells you where to start, the route, where to get water, and where to sleep. It's varying lengths too, everything from weekends to a week or more.
>>
>>1081450
I think you mean "Desert Solitaire", great book. A snapshot of the American west in the 1950's.I never read anything by him I didn't enjoy.
>>
File: edward_abbey_tv.jpg (43KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
edward_abbey_tv.jpg
43KB, 299x450px
>>1083611
You right, you right. Currently devouring his 'Good News'. Seems like that man spent most of his life alone, even if he was with others he was in his own little world. Reminds of that Willie/Waylon song
>>
>>1082366
right in the feels
>>
>>1079467

I am. It makes backpacking better but rock climbing worse.
>>
>>1082858
Western Germany right now.
>>
>>1079467
Not much. I don't beg friends and family to check a place out or hang with me somewhere, I just ask if they want to come if they say no then I will just go on my own.
>>
File: 1416946722588.jpg (114KB, 646x652px) Image search: [Google]
1416946722588.jpg
114KB, 646x652px
>>1083535
Mate, embrace the rain. It means you have it all to yourself!
>>
>>1084199
Are you me?

>Go to rock climbing class for a couple of weekends
>Befriend a girl in the group and another guy my age who's there with his wife
>Crushing anxiety makes me miss the last climbing day
>Keep in loose contact with email/text; guy vanishes to go do stuff with his wife, girl and I kinda text
> "Hey anon you should totally come to the drop-in climb on Thursday! I'll be there"
>Say maybe, ask if she's kept up with it, tell her about a couple climbs I've done with a work buddy
>She did her first multi-pitch and lead climb yesterday

I'm married happily so not trying to score, but I started this whole thing partly to try and make friends besides my coworkers while pursuing my goal of mountaineering. And now I feel like the whole thing has just slipped by me. Good for her, but why is it so hard for me to just go do this stuff with people? I could've been doing what she's doing if I didn't have all this shit going on in my head.

I wish I hadn't gone to that class. I wouldn't know what I'm missing. Could've just kept backpacking and shit. If I go now I'm just going to fumble around on the rock like a jackass because I haven't exercised what I learned.

Kill me. This is the worst sort of torture and it never ends, and there is nobody who can know about it, because even if you opened up about it they will never relate or understand and they certainly cant help you fix it. Anxiety is an echo chamber.
>>
>>1086107
Too dangerous, bad boots for wet granite faces. Anyone who has spent time in the Whites knows that it's a bit of hiking and a bit of mountaineering. One "trail" led me up 500 feet through a near chimney where I had to climb over, around, and through boulders.
>>
>>1079489
>>1081430
>>1081474
>went to go work this summer at an outdoor ed company in the southwest and met a fuckload of outdoorsy fiery qts who love kids

I'm will meet my wife in Colorado some day.
>>
>>1087083
In Colorado you don't lose your wife, you just lose your turn.
>>
>>1081467
>>1081499

>I don't really jive with most outdoorsy types, the ones I do also go /out/ solo.

this desu, it's always one of two types:
>casuals shooting for the perfect instagram post
or
>muh spiritual enlightnment by being outdoors

it's rare to find people who are okay with just a walk in the woods
>>
>>1087112
Cryptic. Explain further.
>>
>>1087130
If you work in the industry there are a fuckload of people who are just wandering around from job to job, and if your skill level matches theirs and you get to know them,will be down for going in multi-week long trips with each other
>>
>>1082858
>>1083089
>>1083198
>>1083419
Western MAsshole reporting in. Let's do something my dudes.
>>
>>1079467
Never /out/ not alone.
Always think twice-thrice where to step and what to do. What to wear, what to take with, etc.
Alone always better.
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12KB, 261x195px
>>1087174
>tfw former MAsshole
>>
>>1079467
just means more freedom
>>
>>1087255
>tfw I'll be a former masshole soon too and will finally escape this shithole to go live in the southwest

Feels good
>>
>be on my own almost all the time
>try to organize stuff with friends
>always too busy to do anything
>end up alone anyway

Growing up was a mistake.
>>
>>1087174
I'm western MA as well. 10 minutes from CT, 15 minutes from NY.
>>
>>1087377
Do you go to Fitchburg State too?
>>
File: IMG_1144.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1144.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1079467
I used to be a loner because of some really fucked up medical shit which hindered my ability to function. Getting into the outdoors really saved my life, gave me the drive to heal and healed me in turn.

I have found others in the outdoor world who understand this. If anything, being an outdoorsman has helped me connect to other people.
>>
>>1087677
No. That's almost three hours from here. I'm really in the southwesternmost corner of Mass.
>>
> A loner is a person who avoids or does not actively seek human interaction.
Does /out/ posting negates this non-activeness?
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.