[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have a shit ton of weeds outside my new apartment. Landlord is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: lawn-weeds.jpg (376KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
lawn-weeds.jpg
376KB, 1280x853px
Have a shit ton of weeds outside my new apartment. Landlord is cutting them once, but then it's my responsibility. What can I use to permanently get rid of them and get a small farm going
>>
>>1079329
DDT and cement after youve uprooted everything (a "hula-hoe" is the most effective tool I've found for this as long as it's bare soil and no large rocks). I highly doubt you'll ever have to do lawn care ever again. You'll never be able to farm the land, but if you're willing to farm that involves pulling weeds too so why worry about how to do it quickly? An environment good for growing crops is amazing for growing weeds haha. Can't have one without the other, unless you contact Monsanto and fuck the entirety of organic life as we know it after they get their patented seeds out.
>>
>>1079329
>>1079331
This, ain't no easy way anon. Grab a hoe and some gloves you have a lot of work ahead of you.
>>
>>1079329

Cardboard, put compost on top, poke hole, plant food.
>>
>>1079329
Just get a rototiller and churn up all that soil, burying the torn up weeds just beneath the surface. Just deep enough that their seeds won't survive if they sprout. This way the weeds will compost down and enrich the soil to feed your crops. It's free fertilizer, why waste it?
>>
>>1079329
Since you want to plant something there nothing. Just pull any weeds you see out with your hands like a normal person would.
>>
>>1079331
Is there such a thing as inorganic life?
>>
build a shitty fence around it and throw some chickens in there
>>
chickens will knock that down eat some plants and bugs and shit out fertilizer for you
and fuck it eat the chickens when their job is done
>>
>>1079516
>has never heard of AI
>>
>>1079521
Thanks for the laugh anon.
>>
>>1079516
That is actually a very good and extensively debated scientific question. Hypothetically, yes.
>>
Sprinkle weedkiller and cut down all when the weeds die out.
>>
So from what I gathered from the thread I was thinking I will have them cut down, use weedkiller, and then I need to fertilize the soil? Tbh I've never gardened before
>>
>>1079524
Who's Al?
>>
>>1079329
I am in literally the same boat as OP.
moved into a buddy NEETs house and it has huge potential but it's completely overgrown. Hoping to plant some fruit trees and a small raised bed next year, maybe chickens too
>>
>>1079440
Depending on the weeds, the seeds can most definitely survive.

Relatedly, I made the mistake of putting seeded weeds in my compost bin over winter, came out with weeds after spreading. Best you can do op is keep pulling them before they go to seed, or hoe them all when they're young, keep it up and weed populations will drop vastly
>>
File: 3tools.jpg (33KB, 878x355px) Image search: [Google]
3tools.jpg
33KB, 878x355px
step1:Sprinkle weed killer that doesn't prevent future growth. step2:Cut down weeds after they die with trimmer step3:Run rototiller to dig out weed roots and loosen soil.
You can buy trimmer and rototiller on ebay from $30~ or rent one. Or you can do all these manually, with sickle and hoe.
After that, you can grow anything you want. Enjoy your life.
>>
>>1079329
>it's my responsibility
Unless it's in your lease that you maintain the landscaping he can fuck off.
>>
>>1080546
It is. It's just a small patch inside a walled in porch
>>
I heard about a guy who had a garden a dog and his dog would always pee in one spot in the garden and after a while no grass would grow there because of excess nitrogen.
>>
>>1081101
Sounds like nonsense, urea is a fertilizer.

Then again, I haven't grown shit since that one 6th grade class project, so I'm probably not a reliable source.
>>
>>1079329
after the landlord cuts you must do regular maintenance. its not so hard. dont fucking let it get bad though because then it becomes hellish work.
>>
>>1079329
close your eyes and pretend they are not there
>>
>>1079329
get a tarp big enough to cover the whole patch, pin it down with some tent pegs.
Plants will die without sunlight.
>>
>>1079329
>What can I use to permanently get rid of them and get a small farm going

see
>>1084132

This is super easy, just mulch over them. Lay down some paper then mulch over that. I never bother with grass or weeds when starting on new ground. Though, I prefer using raised beds than being on ground level. In fact, I make sure not to cut the weeds before laying much. That prevents sharp stalks from poking through the mulch and allowing weeds to grow up through it.
>>
>>1079329
This guy shows some good strategies if you don't wantto dump poison where you grow your food
https://youtu.be/adW3GCQGHug
>>
>>1080503

Child detected.
>>
>>1081117

Not that guy, but funny story.

My neighbor has 3 bushes in his font yard that he planted at the same time. One bush is considerably smaller than the other two and always looks sickly. It's the bush that my dog always pisses on when I take him out for his nightly walk.
>>
File: CornRake.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
CornRake.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>1079329
My dad did landscaping my whole life before he died. Here's what he did when encountering patches of weeds that needed to become gardens or decorative foliage.

>mow weeds, low enough to scalp ground
>remove weed stalks
>till deeply, to loosen soil and roots
>corn rake to remove roots and large rocks
>garden rake to roughly level soil
>newspaper on top to provide barrier
>topsoil 4-6 inches thick over newspaper
>plant garden

Worked every time. If something pops up that you didn't plant, pull it up by its roots and throw it away from the garden.
>>
>>1080526
sounds so simple and makes so much sense, pull the damn weeds before they go to seed
>>
Spray boiling water on them.
Or just burn them with a propane torch.
Or borrow a goat for the weekend.
>>
File: Garden-Box.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Garden-Box.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>1084961

Cardboard works great too, and you can get it free for the asking at the supermarket if you go ask the night crew for boxes.

You can get free pallet wood too, there's always ads in Craigslist for it, so why not make raised garden beds?
>>
>>1084706
came here to say this, use basic cardboard and just lay it over the top. make sure it doesnt have preservatives
>>
>>1085500
>You can get free pallet wood too, there's always ads in Craigslist for it, so why not make raised garden beds?
pallet wood is one of the worst in terms of toxic preservatives
>>
>>1085624
Unless you use pallet wood that is, you know, untreated...
>>
>>1085694
i dont know where you live but ive never heard of a pallet thats safe to burn
>>
>>1079329
You could pull the weeds. Like with your hands.
>>
>>1081101
It could also be due to the salts in your urine.
>>
>>1079329
After he cuts them, lay some cardboard over the area you want cleared and maybe put some mulch on that if you are worried about looks. The cardboard will block the light to the plants underneath and eventually kill them. The cardboard itself will decompose before too long and it should leave the soil completely safe. I'd remove any tape from the cardboard before you lay it down and try to use cardboard that didn't have a ton of ink on it.
>>
>>1080474
Spraying can fuck with the ground if you want to grow anything, you need a lot more chickens than you would think to strip the ground bare. Pull the tall ones and look into using clear plastic to cover the ground to "cook" the topsoul to temps that will sterelize any weed seeds left in the ground. Keep the plastic and rototill and repeat a few times, you'll still get a few weeds now and then but if you want to grow food, weeds will grow as well.
>>
>>1079518
>>1079521
Unironically this.
>>
>>1079437
This guy is right. Not going to go through all 40 replies but this is what you want to do. No need for chemicals or anything.

Look up sheet mulching or lasagna mulching. Kills the weeds and grasses and it great to plant into
>>
The best way to remove them is to pull their roots out.
>>
They finally came and cut them down. They cut it and sprayed weed killer. After they remove everything what should I do?
>>
>>1091156
If you want to grow something, run rototiller to dig out weed roots and loosen soil.
Otherwise cover it with weed sheet or gravel.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.