[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, how dangerous are poisonous mushrooms? A friend of mine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

Hey, how dangerous are poisonous mushrooms? A friend of mine was saying you can't die from a little nibble test, I want to get out there and nibble some mushrooms, what's the risk?
Anyone out there been poisoned before?
>>
>>1079003
From mild stomach ache to death. Don't try.
>>
>>1079005
Can you really die from a little tiny nibble tho?
>>
>>1079003

Your friend is retarded, and you should forever disregard anything they say. Setting aside the potential for death from anaphylaxis even from non-poisonous foods you've never had before, even a nibble of poisonous foods could result in anything from shitting your guts out to death.
>>
>>1079006
Depends on the fungi. Not worth trying.
>>
>>1079006

Yes. There are things out there that even something smaller then the eye can see will kill you if you get it in your mouth.
>>
>>1079006
some adverse symptoms like nausea and vomiting (maybe even death) can occur by simply hand contact
>>
>>1079010
Ya things.. but mushrooms? There's not a lot of info online cause everyone spouts the same super cautious rhetoric as you guys, but from what I've read people have survived eating even the deadliest mushrooms. Like I don't mind having a bad time, I just don't want to die or end up with permanent nerve damage or a new liver.
>>1079007
I'll bring some epinephrine with me then ;)
>>
>>1079006
There are a few mushrooms out there where merely licking one will kill you
>>
>>1079014
source
>>
>>1079016
It likely won't taste like anything special. Some mushrooms show effects later than immediately so you can't even tell at eating time. It's pure idiocy to try to chance like this.

Yes, some always survive even after eating the most deadly mushroom, maybe they vomited most of it out, maybe there was not much poison at that piece and so on. That's the survivor bias, you see the lucky winners but not the crowd of folks in their graves. How many of them died per one survivor?

There's a shitload of information online, just check wikipedia for specific mushrooms. Or the local library. Or ask some older person who forages mushrooms. Or try googling for, say, "Edible and Poisonous Mushrooms of the World PDF".

>inb4 Gyromitra esculenta
>quite delicious when prepared properly
>deadly when eaten raw
>onset of effects 2 to 24 hours
>coma and/or death follows after days
>in the meanwhile you will feel not so fine

>inb4 Paxillus involutus
>used to be prepared and eaten
>causes autoimmune hemolysis
>your body attacks your own red blood cells
>you will feel not so fine
>Dr. Schäffer took 17 days to die of a renal failure
>>
>>1079020
I just found out that was a old woman's tale - there are no mushrooms that can kill with just skin contact. However there seem to be mushrooms which have toxins that are very potent, half a green death cap can kill you, with other adverse effects coming with smaller doses. Touching them shouldn't be a problem, but some authorities say that you shouldn't (probably just a precaution).
Having very little of it might be ok, definitely not completely ingesting though. I would strongly recommend against it. Be prepared to die if you do this.
Also: "Death caps have been reported to taste pleasant."
>>
File: bay bolete.jpg (232KB, 740x597px) Image search: [Google]
bay bolete.jpg
232KB, 740x597px
>>1079003
If you really want wild mushrooms that badly and you're east of the rockies, stick to boletes, which are recognizable by the presence of sponge-like pores, instead of gills. Pic related. None of the members of this genus are actually deadly, some are even highly prized, however some west coast species can make one very sick

Do not fuck with amenitas
>>
>>1079003
you know what you should do? let your friend try each one first
>>
>>1079016
Amanita phalloides has been described as delicious and nutty. half a shrom will kill you for sure, smaller doses will likely just cause heavy liver damage with intense pain and take a dozen years or so off your clock.
Galerina marginata will have similar effects.
>>
First rule of mushroom picking is;
If you don't anything, don't even touch it.
>>
>>1079048
No contact poisoning but you could get an allergic reaction in the hands, or if you wipe your eyes with same hands, to the eyes.

Remember to clean your tools (knife) if you cut the poisonous mushrooms.

Common sense, people. I know, this is 4chan, but still.
>>
>>1079006
In North America there are two easily identifiable species that could put you at serious risk both amantias. The Death Cap and the Destroying Angel. According to David Arora 1/8 of a Death Cap mushroom (shown in OPs pic) has been known to kill an adult.
>>
>>1079016
The vast majority of mushrooms that are considered toxic will only give you so gastrointestinal distress. That ABSOLUTLEY does not mean mushroom poisoning should be taken lightly as amatoxins are probably one of the worst ways to die.
>>
>>1079019
>There are a few mushrooms out there where merely licking one will kill you
nope
>>
>>1079014
>some adverse symptoms like nausea and vomiting (maybe even death) can occur by simply hand contact
I don't believe this.
>>
>>1079525
>The vast majority of mushrooms that are considered toxic will only give you so gastrointestinal distress

You are talking about INEDIBLE mushrooms.

TOXIC mushrooms (Amanitas, Galerinas etc.) will kill you, unless you manage to get a liver transplant.
>>
>>1079871
Did not specify how much of licking. I mean licking it all over a few times making sure your saliva covers it all and especially at the gills and maybe rubbing it on your penis a little too.
>>
>>1080034
No, mushrooms that cause GI distress are considered toxic. Toxic =/= deadly. Inedible and unpalatable are also different terms.
>>
>>1079003
i pick wild mushrooms and eat them but only a certain non poisonous kind
>>
>>1079016
I wouldnt recommend it.

My grandmas brother died from using cicuta virosa as a whistle. He didnt eat it, just touched his mouth. But then again, it's a plant.
>>
>>1079003
You can't die from nibbling and spitting it out afterwards. Don't swallow any unidentified mushrooms.
>>
I ate a random stem when I was 5 from a mushroom growing in the yard, puked like a drunk for 2 days straight, literally thought I was gonna die. We didn't have access to medical care then so you just had to ride it out.
>>
>>1080577
This is why you wear condoms.
>>
>>1079003
The most toxic is the destroying angel, along with some other amanitas, you'd need to eat a whole cap to have something to worry about. I freaked my girlfriend out by putting it in my mouth but spitting it out. The problem is that so many edible or especially hallucinagenic mushrooms have toxic look a likes and people eat many of these and die. The real danger lies in ignorance or mistakes. So if you're hunting for just puffballs, always cut them in half and make sure they're white throughout and have no gills or any discrepancies in consistency and you'll be safe. Don't mess around trying to eat any little brown mushrooms, don't hunt for anything you don't know well, and memorize all the lookalikes. I mistook a mushroom for something else and it turned out to have the most bitter and spicy taste I've ever had in my mouth. Don't be stupid and be safe

Pic related is one of the few photographs that survived the time my hard drive reset itself and my thousands of mushroom pictures were lost. Amanita muscaria var. Formosa
>>
>>1079058
Boletes that stain blue are posionous, although more of an "oww my butt hurts and I'm puking" than a "I'm gonna die " one
>>
>>1080640
What are you talking about? Bay and chestnut boletes bruise blue, but are perfectly safe to eat
>>
>>1079006
dont do it man
>>
>>1079058
those things look unholy
>>
Field zucchini edible submit permission drinks while help train Ali Peyton exhibit think sick park tail wonderful apathetic
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Poisonous bolet I found turns blue when cut
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
My favorite chicken of the woods easy to spot good to eat (tastes like chicken)
>>
>>1079014
Great. So where can i get a bucketfull
>>
>>1079006
Why the hell would you want to risk it anyway?
>>
>>1079003
This thread reeks of that "ametuer archeologist" troll. Y'all mother fuckers are in a troll thread.
>>
>>1079048
>Death caps have been reported to taste pleasant
Remember that taste is not objective, there are people that think human shit is pleasant.
>>
>>1080625
Because children raised by single mothers don't know any difference between store bought mushrooms and wild ones? Thanks for dooming your species mate.
>>
>>1079003
Yes.

>>1079014
Mushrooms can't do that. Their poison needs to be digested for it to cause organ failure. You can handle them and smell them all you want, just don't eat them. Although, if you are allergic to them or there's a "bad" bacteria eating on them, you may get sick in some way from just handling them.

>>1080637
I went for a walk in a local park last week. The entire highland ridge area woods were completely filled with massive amounts of destroying angel. I've never seen so many in my entire life. There was literally 1,000s of them for 3 miles of trail.
>>
>>1079003
you can chew up a bit then spit it out and be fine. I've done it many times. And many people are known to doing so to know deadly species without any problems. just don't swallow.
>>
>>1079006
Yes, if it's the wrong mushie. Won't be a quick death either. Either a slow painful organ failure (usually liver or kidney) death, or the kind where you are paralyzed but conscious and gradually asphyxiate. Have fun.
>>
File: 285.jpg (21KB, 680x425px) Image search: [Google]
285.jpg
21KB, 680x425px
>>1080823

Well these are sponge-like so they are actually quite holey.
>>
>>1082526
you cheeky cunt
>>
>>1079517
>this
A simple nibble of the Death Cap can just 86 you or at the very least you have to find a kidney transplant later on. It's not worth it. If you want to forage mushrooms, go for oysters, chicken of the woods, morels, puffballs. Don't bother with buttons or anything from the genus Agaricus, Coprinus, or Macrolepiota if you are a beginner because they are often mistaken with the infamous Death Cap or Destroying Angel.
>>
>>1083045
learn2greentext, dunce
>>
>>1079048
>old woman's tale
>>
>>1079003
Google some test for poisonous plants. It is a multi-day thing though, where you rub it on your skin and wait, then lick it and so on.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.