[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

worst places to hike? honestly, fuck moorland. stressful to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: p1050220.jpg (195KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
p1050220.jpg
195KB, 1024x576px
worst places to hike?

honestly, fuck moorland. stressful to walk across, wet, grim, desolate
>>
File: ntddPVa.jpg (68KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
ntddPVa.jpg
68KB, 600x400px
Fucking tussocks. Easiest way to fuck up your ankles and knees.
>>
File: boulder.scree.jpg (416KB, 709x532px) Image search: [Google]
boulder.scree.jpg
416KB, 709x532px
>>1078134
On that note, this bullshit is pretty awful as well
>>
File: IMG_1234.jpg (156KB, 520x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1234.jpg
156KB, 520x640px
>>1078133
The long trail in Vermont, while gorgeous, has large swaths of the trail turn into straight swamps and rivers every time it rains.
>>
where the fuck is that. looks gorgeous
>>
>>1078139
I hear ya. At least you don't risk dying if you fall over in the tussocks
>>
>hating moorland
never have I experienced such poor taste
>>
>>1078143
Looks like Scotland.

>>1078133
The sage hills of eastern Wyoming and Colorado are pretty shit
>tussocks of sage
>tiny little clumps of cacti with hypodermic-like spines that'll go straight through the side or toebox of even a full-grain leather hunting boot
>gopher/rabbit holes half-buried under what little grass there is because fuck your ankles
>zero shade
>almost zero naturally occurring water, better bring all of your own
>random arroyos, ravines, and gullies, you don't dare do anything in poor visibility
>>
>>1078152
Walking through long stiff grass hiding holes and cratered, uneven ground, streams and bogs is not my idea of fun
>>
>>1078139
so much this
>>
>>1078141
Especially this year. We've had so much rainfall I wouldn't get on the LT without expedition height gaiters.
>>
>>1078139
>>1078134
>>1078133

Don't ever come to Scotland then bud.
>>
File: 0806-08.jpg (290KB, 840x556px) Image search: [Google]
0806-08.jpg
290KB, 840x556px
Downy willow is quite tough if there's no trail through it, can grow up to ~2m.
>>
File: qatar-desert[1].jpg (56KB, 793x528px) Image search: [Google]
qatar-desert[1].jpg
56KB, 793x528px
Hiked in Qatari desert and you usually avoid soft sand when you can but sometimes you have no choice but wade through this shit
>>
>>1078235
>be in New England
>can't fucking see anything unless I climb a mountain
Man, I wish I could get some nice treeless hikes.
>>
>>1078435
This shit is honestly why I got into foraging, it's so you have something else to look at/for when you're still below the trees
>>
>>1078155
How far east are we talking?
>>
>>1078133
I've had to climb up a slight waterfall. I thought it would be fun, but it was actually hell. So slippery. So many chances to die.
>>
>>1078155
lol
what piece of shit meme boots did you buy
>>
>>1078623
Irish Setters.

Thorns go right through them.

>>1078593
Anything E/SE of Shoshoni, anything E/SE of Buffalo, basically anything that isn't the Bighorns or Yellowstone or the Wind River reservation.

I do a lot of antelope hunting just south of Buffalo.
>>
>>1078133
the correct answer is Mount washington during peak season.

have to actively look for a parking spot like its some fucking mall
mostly crowded trails (lions head is okay),
steep scrambles (last 1/8 or so is legit just a rock pile),
people stoping in the middle of the trail every five seconds to take a photo of some rock.
the top is bascially a trashy party town filled with overweight people from the midwest and who drove up wearing jeans and harley davidson t shirts.
have to wait in line to take a summit pic.
everyone asking "did you climb this thing?"
>>
>>1078309
walking uphill in soft sand is not my cup of tea
>>
>>1078781
I did the traverse recently and Mt Washington really depressed me. It's like everyone is raping it. It just feels overwhelmingly shameful.
>>
File: received_10211446091170113.jpg (510KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211446091170113.jpg
510KB, 2048x1536px
Louisiana.
>Jungle canopy, full of thorn vines
>Always hot as fuck with 100% humidity except for 5 days in december.
>Mosquitos swarm like locusts
>Every single insect is out for blood and poisonous
>Everything is fucking wet
>Snakes everywhere
>Bull ants
>Poison ivy
>Poison oak
Poison sumak
>You're forced to wear long sleeves and tucked in pants to avoid the ticks and horseflies (I just started wearing a jumpsuit, fuck it)
>Meth heads with firearms who can't tell which property they own but claim your trespassing, then start asking which clan your from to see if there's an unsettled blood feud or not.
>Flash floods
>Sasquatch and Skunk apes in kisatchie.

I hate the jungle so fucking much man.
>>
>>1078755
So basically the high plains close to the Rockies. I have to agree that the terrain sucks for the most part, but luckily there are multiple mountain ranges nearby.
>t. CO
>>
>>1078309
sand is the final answer

just demotivating to think of the energy lost to the shifting sand
>>
>>1078133
And there's werewolves.
>>
>>1079373
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY
>>
>>1079402
yes, this too
>>
The thing about moorland is that, on pictures and from afar, it looks great. All seems flat and easy to walk on. But once you get there and are in the thick of it, it's awful. Bogs, peat, little rivers hidden under grass, holes, spiders' nests, bumpiness.
>>
>>1078133
I don't have any pictures, but climbing up the backside of St Helens is a fucking disaster, endless boulder fields that are a chore to get through. Makes me sad it blew up because my uncle has pics of the climb from the old days and it looked quite nice, good view at the top though.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.