[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you peeps use your knives for? Does a beginner /out/ist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: Morakniv-Companion-MG-Knife.jpg (64KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Morakniv-Companion-MG-Knife.jpg
64KB, 700x700px
What do you peeps use your knives for? Does a beginner /out/ist really need anything more advanced than a Mora? I'm going to pick up a hatchet to use for my wood stove but I don't really see many situations where I'd need a knife.
>>
>>1075082
>I don't really see many situations where I'd need a knife.

Not trying to be a dick, but that would only imply you haven't spent enough time outdoors/hiking/camping/hunting/fishing/surviving.
>>
>>1075082
>carving tools
>filleting fish
>field stripping/gutting/skinning game
>defending yourself
>cutting line
>cutting splinters/other shit out of your own body
>felling small tress
Just a few to get you started.
>>
>>1075086
I'm not particularly interested in hunting or fishing
>>
>>1075082
Not even advanced /outists really _need_ more. Expensive things are more for signalling (showing off) or patching up insecurities in a mall ninja type of setting.

>edc carry 16inch blade and frag grenades

That said, there are different preferences. Some _want_ serrated edges and Made In USA Ka-Bars and handmade custom knives with self-carved handles and so on.

For knives: cut rope, make feathersticks, split tiny wood pieces, open cans, crawl out of water after falling through ice, sharpen sticks (sausage grill sticks), generally finer woodwork, gut and prep hunted animals + fish, protection against pedobear, skinwalkers, hobos, and so forth and so on
>>
>>1075091
What do you intend on doing? It's not like you can get a competent answer without some context. The mora is a great little bang for buck knife. It will serve a lot of general use purposes well if you take care of it.
>>
>>1075103
Hiking
>>
>>1075112
Mora is good. My personal favorite hiking knife is a flat grind Enzo necker.
>>
>>1075082
>Mora?
quit the cheap ones. their 50€ knifes are more fun.
>>
File: IMG_5702.jpg (2MB, 2355x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5702.jpg
2MB, 2355x3264px
>>1075082
I use mine for;
>cutting branches
>opening cans
>cutting bacon
>sharpening sticks
>digging air holes for campfires
>cleaning fish
>cutting bread
>pissing off /out/ because of the funky, yet somehow fully functional and sturdy design functions
Never go full /out/istic.
>>
>>1075136
I hope that's not a recent picture because it looks like you don't use your knife for anything.
>>
>>1075136
Have you used your ferrocerium? It looks so polished.
Mine looks banged, maybe I have a wrong technique
>>
>>1075143
No its not a recent picture I'm just lazy to go outside and make a meaningful photo of the knife sticking out of a log or something.
>>1075147
They get destroyed pretty quick, this was a new one when I took the photo.
>>
>>1075092
>protection against pedobear
This is an 18+ site.
>>
Splitting sticks and preparing fish.
>>
>>1075082
>whittling
>feather sticks
>food prep

>Does a beginner /out/ist really need anything more advanced than a Mora?
nearly no one "needs" more then a mora, more then a mora can be fun but it is rarely "needed"
>>
what color should I get mine in?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTJKB00/ref=twister_B00EF2RUD4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
>>
>>1075180
also should I keep the default handle or get a new one?
>>
File: 71zWIx9tXCL._SL1500_.jpg (73KB, 1500x1142px) Image search: [Google]
71zWIx9tXCL._SL1500_.jpg
73KB, 1500x1142px
>>1075182
keep the handle, no need to be fantsy
>>
>>1075180
>>1075182
Orange is the most practical colour, but get whatever you like. Keep the default handle. It's comfy.
>>
>>1075184
Besides if you wanted to make your own handle, you could just buy a mora blade blank for even cheaper.
>>
>>1075082
> Does a beginner /out/ist really need anything more advanced than a Mora?
I've been taking my inexpensive folding pocket knife that was given to me and it works so probably not.
>>
>>1075166
Pedobear likes to eliminate competition.
>>
File: 20170718_124817-1.jpg (462KB, 1508x919px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_124817-1.jpg
462KB, 1508x919px
>>1075082
>>
If you're a hiker or backpacker you don't even need a knife.
Just take a pair of scissors.
>>
>>1075082
I had a Mora my grandfather gave me when I was 12, used that from everything from fishing, camping and slicing up some fairly large animals when hunting. Lost it a few years ago and no fucking idea where it is now, not a great knife but you can certainly make-do with it.
>>
>>1075270
True in most cases. I'd just rather have a knife because it's a more versatile tool.
>>
I loved the story of an Anon that had abused his Mora and bending the steel that it almost wouldnt fit the sheath and he put it in a drawer and a year later the knife had straightened itself perfectly. No shit, read it on /out/ a month ago
>>
>>1075082
>beginner /out/ist really need anything more advanced than a Mora?
obviously not

>>1075275
good

scissors are very convenient to the limited tasks they can do, but a knife covers more bases.

>>1075526
somebody took a pity on him and replaced his bent knife imo. or made up bullshit.
>>
>>1075082
If you're hiking, a 2.5 inch blade is enough. You don't need a knife to walk, set up a tent, or use a jet stove. A 2.5-3 inch blade will be fine for food, improvised tent stakes when yours break or get lost, general use.

If camping I bring a small pocket knife and a mora companion.

If "bushcrafting" you a half inch thick blade that'll cut through a car door so you can fell a Douglas fir.

I always keep the classic mini sak in my first aid /toiletries kit for the small blade, scissors, and tweezers for things like splinter and tick removal, tending blisters and wounds or whatever.

Did 50 miles last week, only brought a boker tech tool 2 and the mini sak. I dunno if I used the knife for anything besides cutting meat and cheese.
>>
>>1075560
>boker tech tool 2 and the mini sak
that's kind of redundant
>>
>>1075270
I'm the OP and I'm thinking about grabbing a Mora anyways, doesn't hurt to have it if you need one. The main use I can think of is prepping wood for my wood stove and a knife would be much more practical for that
>>
>>1075805
Forgot to add, am I better off getting a larger blade than a Morakniv Companion if I'm going to use it for prepping wood?
>>
>>1075806
I've never need anything bigger. If I do I bring a hatchet or small axe.
>>
>>1075526
Thanks.

It's a true story and I still have the knife.
The part about sending it to Pakistan is pure embellishment though.
>>
>>1075806
Depends on what you mean by prepping wood.

Let's say you want to make a spoon.
A Mora will do it all from cutting and splitting the a sapling, all the way to carving to shape and scraping for a fine finish. (Except the bowl of course)

A bigger, heavier knife like a Leuku or larger is way more efficient at the "felling" and rough shaping parts.

You can do the finishing work with the bigger knife too, but a smaller knife is ideal.
>>
>>1075806
mora companion is a 4" blade it's at the lower threshold for a bushcraft knife but should be adequate.
>>
>>1075835
>>1075845
>>1075888
Alright, I've ordered a Companion, I'll probably pick up a hatchet later if I find out I need anything bigger.
>>
File: 4030280079.jpg (19KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
4030280079.jpg
19KB, 440x440px
>>1075572
Uhh, no it isnt? The boker is a legit knife, the mini sak is a keychain.
The boker doesn't have scissors, a nail file, tweezers, or a blade small enough to dig out a splinter. Or the extremely important and useful toothpick.
>>
>>1075112
>>1075091
You should at least pick up photography or you'll never stay interested in "hiking" for very long, in my opinion. Hunting & Fishing are obviously God-tier outdoor pursuits that you should re-think.
>>
There really isn't much difference between a good solid 30 dollar knife like a Mora and a $250 Bark River. What people pay for is the craftsmanship and the "look" for lack of better term.
>>
File: pepe 8.jpg (24KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
pepe 8.jpg
24KB, 400x388px
>>1075082
90% of time for cutting cardboard and plastic 10% anything else
>>
File: 4001123-NOC02.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
4001123-NOC02.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
decent locking folder in the pocket
Mora fixed for food prep and general use
small SAK or multi-tool for repairs etc
>>
>>1075082
Hog sticking
>>
Honestly I use it a lot for food prepping and sometimes wood carving but I don't obsess with knives anymore, my small sak pretty much fills all my /out/ needs.
>>
>>1075090
>carving tools
>filleting fish
>field stripping/gutting/skinning game
Makes sense

>defending yourself
Won't really help against a bear

>cutting line
>cutting splinters/other shit out of your own body
Could do that with a tiny razor

>felling small tress
Seems like a saw would be better for that

I never understood the point of knives, but then again I'm not a hunter.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-08-10-11-09-15-1.png (3MB, 1080x1794px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-08-10-11-09-15-1.png
3MB, 1080x1794px
I tried asking this in the knife general on /k/, but those guys are too busy wanking over Korean nukes and feet pictures.

Is this a good deal? Of the knife any good? I don't necessarily Need one, but for that price I can always put it in a rotation with my Mora or leave it in my truck.
>>
>>1078496
It's not a bad deal.
Looks like a decent hunting or general purpose knife.

Cabela's has a similar one for the sane price.

Hollow grind isn't ideal for woodcraft.
>>
>>1078564

>Hollow grind isn't ideal for woodcraft.

Could you expand on that? I don't really know anything about grinds and what they are best suited for.
>>
File: 1200px-Glock_Feldmesser_FM_78.jpg (89KB, 1200x517px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Glock_Feldmesser_FM_78.jpg
89KB, 1200x517px
>>1075082
do yourself a favour and get a glock. mora is nice and shiny, but the fm 78 will never let you down.
>>
>>1075082
Stabbing hobos
>>
>>1078804
Yeah but it won't hold an edge either. Plus you can do better for the money.
>>
>>1078807
>Plus you can do better for the money.
not really. there is a reason several armies use this as their standard knife and it's praised by survivalists.

>sharp as fuck
>easy to sharpen
>eats up pretty much every abuse from opening cans to digging
>can be used as a fighting knife or bajonett for the stg77/steyr aug
>handle is balanced to be used as a throwing knife
>>
>>1078809
Fair enough. My last point is mute. But anyway, why would you want to use your knife for digging anyway? Except in some made up survival fantasy of course. The edgehoilding is terrible though (it's hardened to 55 hrc...), and yeah I've got practical experience using this knife as several people I know own them (it's issued to the army in my country too). Not terrible, but it's a jack of all trades and master of none. You need a knife to cut. If you're a soldier it's pretty great. I agree with you on that.
>>
>>1076281
This. Hiking and camping are pretty gay unless you're fishing, hunting or something like that.
>>
>>1078851
>Hiking is gay

t. unathletic fatass americunt
>>
>>1078814
>But anyway, why would you want to use your knife for digging anyway? Except in some made up survival fantasy of course.
i actually dug up some roots with mine and used it as a climbing help on an steep hill on wet, slippery grass und mud - sure, i could have use another knife for this, too, but since it's blade is almost as long as a dagger, it was really helping.
>>
>>1078869
Couldn't you just have used a stick? Nice that you actually come up with an answer though. I appreciate that.
>>
>>1078874
i could have, but i didn't had one with me and the next wood would have mean to hike back half a kilometer back through a soaked meadow. i had to climb that "alm" (don't know the english word for it, it's basically an steep, alpine meadow where cows are feeding during summer) to get to the next path. the grass was slippery as fuck and the rain also swamped down some dirt and i so i took my glock and used it as an "hook" to pull me up. that was the moment i REALLY learned to love that knife. wiped it off when i was up and that's it.

sure i'm answering, i don't have the time to bullshit people on the internet.
>>
>>1078887
I'm glad it works for you. I'm not going to argue further. Hike your own hike as they say. I carry trekkingpoles a lot for that reason. Obviously I don't carry them if I'm just camping/playing survival.
>>
>>1078956
everyone should carry the knife he thinks it will suite him best and yeah, no one should be "talked into" a knife. personally, i believe a knife should be a tool serving many purposes aside of cutting - i can always make it sharp again if it's losing edge, i'm never into the wild for more than three, four days so far. since i don't want to carry too much weight on me, so my knife must be able to take a lot of abuse.
>>
>>1078496
They literally gave you an answer and they were right. Its just a shitty mora clone and SOG is shit overall dont get it.
>>
>>1078280
>Won't really help against a bear
>Bears are the only dangerous creatures out in the woods
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.