[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a recommendation for a waxed cotton overcoat. I need it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8

File: coats.jpg (19KB, 500x291px) Image search: [Google]
coats.jpg
19KB, 500x291px
I need a recommendation for a waxed cotton overcoat. I need it to be full length. I'm looking for a functional piece of equipment for hunting and working in the rain. No hipster bullshit.
>>
> No hipster bullshit
this is extreme hipster bullshit.

sage in options
>>
>>1074246
What's functional for one person may not be functional for another, and those coats are so outdated you'll be lucky to find one at all, let alone one that has exactly what you're looking for. Why don't you just make your own? Cotton and wax are cheap as shit and you'll end up with something that will fit your needs perfectly.
>>
>>1074249
>What's functional for one person may not be functional for another
What the hell does that mean? What keeps the rain off one man's back will do the same for another.
>>1074249
>and those coats are so outdated
How are they outdated? Did climate change cause all future rains to cease? What else do you wear in the rain?
>>
>>1074251
Do whatever you want, man, but you don't have to be a dick about it. You asked for a recommendation, I recommended you make it yourself.
>>
>>1074256
Well what do you wear when it rains?
>>
>>1074259
I live in an area that doesn't get much rain, so I carry a light tyvek poncho for the odd occasion that I actually need something. If I lived in an area where it rained heavily I'd probably carry something that could be worn for days and through brush, but my needs for functionality are different than yours.
>>
>>1074260
Maybe you're right about making my own. I could just get a lab coat and soak it in wax. What kind of wax should I use?
>>
>>1074263
Traditionally, it's done with a mixture of beeswax and linseed oil, make sure to dye the labcoat first if you plan on doing that, it won't take dye afterwards.
>>
>>1074270
Would parrafin work?
>>
>>1074271
By itself, it would definitely be too brittle for clothing, but maybe if you still mixed it with the linseed oil it would work. I'd spend the extra and do the traditional recipe, since that has a long history of being effective.
>>
>>1074275
OK, so where do I buy bulk beeswax?
>>
>>1074277
Depends on how much you want to spend on it and how much of a hurry you're in. You can get it at granola stores, online or direct from a local bee keeper.
>>
File: 4cfc491fb971bec01cddbf286cc3fc99.jpg (221KB, 593x1153px) Image search: [Google]
4cfc491fb971bec01cddbf286cc3fc99.jpg
221KB, 593x1153px
>>1074246
A long oilskin drover. I got one from Cabela's many years ago with the lamb's wool insert that can be removed. It is amazing, but only if you wear a big hat with it to keep the rain/snow off you. Get "Duck Back" oil for reproofing it to keep it waterproof. These things are super heavy, fyi. If you ride and need thorn and rain protection this is it. It is good for working with barbed wire or general fence mending work around brambles in the rain.
>>
>>1074248
>>1074248
>>1074248
>>1074248
>>1074248
>>1074248
incredibly THIS
>>
>>1074246
I've got one of these, forget which model. It's not bad. I second wearing it with a wax cotton hat.
http://www.outbacktrading.com/

>>1074249
>and those coats are so outdated you'll be lucky to find one at all,
You can get them at pretty much any tack shop I've been to, dumbass, and they should have a tin of wax to reproof it so you don't have to make your own. If you're that ignorant you should probably stop posting.
>>
>>1074246
Why not a proper raincoat from a high tech material instead of waxed cotton?

>inb4 cold
Layered clothing
>>
>>1074306
You're right, but OP is more interested in looking like a cowboy than having reasonably weighted gear; some people like the meme life.
>>
>>1074309
OP mentioned functional for hunting and working in the rain.

>>1074249
>those coats are so outdated you'll be lucky to find one at all,

https://www.google.com/search?q=australian+oilskin+drover
>>
>>1074309
Unless you're making a living working outdoors, all /out/ is the meme life. Everything we do is for aesthetics and feeling good about ourselves. Why begrudge OP his peculiar manifestation of that fact?
Besides, if he wants to own his coat for a long time, natural materials wear in 100x better than synthetics. Plastic coats will look like trash after a few years, but a good heavy cotton coat only looks better and better.
But since he IS planning to work in this coat, cotton has other advantages. Any kind of abrasion from brush, stone, etc will destroy the waterproofing on a thin PU-coated nylon jacket. The downside of "high-tech" materials is that when they wear out (and since weight is prioritized over durability, this happens quickly under any real duress) you have to replace the entire thing. Waxed cotton can be insanely abrasion-resistant and is easy to maintain at home.
Shit, I own both arcteryx and carhartt jackets, just both appropriate for different tasks.

OP, if you don't want to make your own wax/oil blend, you can pick up some Otter Wax.
>>
>>1074306
It's really easy to put holes through petro- based raingear. I personally hate how clammy they feel and that they can't actually be properly maintained, repaired, or restored. With proper care an oilskin could be handed down to your grandson. Same reason I wear wool coats in the winter, though /out/ would probably screech about memes, larping, and autism on that too.
>>
>>1074305
>>1074328
>>1074345
>>1074388
Okay. I'm a hiker, and as such, was looking at it from a hikers' perspective. Evidently I was wrong, they do still have usefulness in the modern era where durability under heavy and regular use are important. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

>God I hate quitting smoking...
>>
>>1074493
Stay strong, anon. The hiking gains from quitting are awesome. You'll also be able to smell the woods.
>>
>>1074246
Looks like you could just make one with whatever you have lying around, anon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDluJ9jCe8

I might try this with my dad's old USMC canvas coat from 'nam
>>
>>1074290
>oilskin drover
That's perfect! Thank you, anon.
>>1074306
>high tech material
Like what? PVC? Rubber?
>>1074309
>looking like a cowboy
You do realize that cowboys didn't give a fuck what they looked like, right? They wore the most practical gear available because unlike hipsters, they actually spent time outdoors and didn't have the luxury of going inside when it rained.
>>
>>1074251
Most people wear a poncho you fucking moron
>>
File: 200_s.gif (35KB, 288x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
35KB, 288x200px
>caring this much about self-image
>self-image is based on not caring about self-image
>>
>>1074724
Ponchos are typically made of thin, cheap plastic that tears easily and fades in the sun.
>>
>>1074631
>Stay strong, anon.
Thank you. I take it you've been there?
>>
>>1074738
USGI ponchos are strong and thick, silnylon, I believe.
>>
>>1074709
>high tech
>PVC/rubber?
Some fabric of your choice laminated with e.g. a polyurethane membrane (like GEL/G7H) or such.
>>
>>1074740
They are ripstop, but not "tangle stop." Thorns and briars just make a scratching sound, on my oilskin drover, and pass over it. Ripstop ponchos get hung up on those things and you need to stop and deal with shit. You also have a small hole to deal with that can let water in.
>>
>>1074739
I'm two months quit right now. I feel great and my sense of smell is really starting to come back. I'm fast as fuck on the trails now and it feels great.
>>
>>1074825
Congratulations! It's a rough ride.
>>
>>1074277
>where do I buy bulk beeswax

Local farmers market is likely to have beekeepers hocking honey. If they're not also selling beeswax blocks outright at the market, you'll be able to ask them to sell to you and they'll hook you up.

It's real cheap straight from the producers.
>>
>>1074825
Great to hear. How is your sense of taste doing? Though, eating highly processed foods also mess with that a great deal.

>>1074879
It takes 6-8 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of wax. Right now honey is $5.39 per pound in my area. A pound of fresh local wax is over $40. That's up from only about $15 a pound for wax and $2ish for a pound of honey a few years ago before the whole CCD thing. I'm just glad I have my own bees for honey. No one local is selling wax right now either, simply because everyone's hives are still recovering.
>>
DRIZABONE
good quality Australian oilskin
>>
>>1074246

You will sweat like a rapist.
>>
>>1075181
Ever been out in the rain? The rain helps cool you off.
>>
File: 1XkEgT.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1XkEgT.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>
>>1074246
you're degenerate pabst drinking hipster trash.

but there are guys who do cowboy action shooting who would know where to get this kind of shit, maybe ask /k/ nicely.

also there are equestrian events where the purpose is to dress cowboyish and shoot SA revolvers off of horse back, which doesnt really overlap with CAS, so you could try those people.
>>
>>1074277
there's this thing called the internet...
>>
>>1075294
You should probably calm down and read the thread first before posting, kid.
>>
>>1075294
Actually, /k/ will jump down the throat of anyone who doesn't like plastic just like you.
It happens there everyday, it goes like this:
>You want to hunt whitetail with a .30-30 lever gun instead of a magazine fed AR-10
You want a revolver instead of a Glawk brand Glawk
REEEE YOU ARENT A COWBO BROKEBACK MTN HIIIIPSTER!!

Not quite sure why these boards are so opposed to someone being anachronistic when it doesn't effect them at all.
>>
>>1075315
Fuck I forgot two of these
>
>
while I was burning the potatoes, oh well, deal with it
>>
>>1075315
It isn't anachronistic since those are valid dependable tools that get high regard and use in the modern age.
>>
>>1075318
Sure, even less of a reason for all of the venom
>>
>>1075321
Similarly, whenever someone says they wear a watch, the "JUST USE UR PHONE FAGET!!1!" brigade shows up within 5 minutes. It baffles.
>>
>>1075347
I've gotten that on flashlights before. The kids these days...
>>
>>1074855
Thanks, man. This is like my fifth try but it feels like I've finally made it.
>>1074895
It's definitely been coming back. There's whole new layers to foods I've been eating for years.
>>
>>1075406
Stopped smoking a couple of months too. 10 years of that bullshit. Now I finally feel like I'm done with it. Still occasionally use snus though. Also, I hike like a fucking freight train now.
>>
>>1075315
>i've never been to /k/ the post

Im glad safe places like /out/ and /lgbt/ exist for you
>>
>>1075302
found the hipster trash
>>
File: 1500534496298.png (239KB, 272x448px) Image search: [Google]
1500534496298.png
239KB, 272x448px
>>1075347
>>1075358
I don't even own a phone, not even a land line anymore. Everything is PC and internet. People need to email me to contact me. I check my email like once a day when home and not at all when /out/. Which is actually so fucking nice I can't even describe it.
>>
>>1074246
I need a recommendation for some skinny jeans. I need it to be sued black. I'm looking for a functional piece of equipment for hunting and working in the rain. No hipster bullshit.
>>
>>1075422
Wanna try again?
>>
File: urfaggot.jpg (24KB, 521x143px) Image search: [Google]
urfaggot.jpg
24KB, 521x143px
>>1075541
>>
>>1075444
>He doesn't know tight jeans= tight groupings
>>
>>1075425
What a fucking retard.
>>
>>1075411
I was 9 years. I'm with you about pushing the hiking. I'm so much faster than almost everyone else. Feels good, man. We're gonna make it.
>>
>>1074709
>They wore the most practical gear available
Right, operative word being WORE. Now we have all kinds of miracle synth fabrics. My nylon rain jacket weighs less than a hundred grams, has been worn through all kinds of brush and weather on 4 different continents and is still as water proof as the day I bought it with no additional maintenance other than throwing it in the wash once every couple years.

If you really want a 3-4kg long coat no one's going to stop you, but it's probably going to be too hot for 3 seasons and too heavy for one, barely be water proof and require a ton of work to keep it that way.
>>
>>1074249
Yeah its pretty much impossible to find me at any Western store, feed store, saddlery store or on the whole damn Internet
>>
>>1075315
Except we have fairly regular revolver, lever action, milsurp/curio and relic threads all the time and possibly the single biggest hardon /k/ has is for forgotten weapons
>>
>>1074388
>hates how "clammy" goretex feels (protip: it doesn't, at all)
>wants to wear something literally dripping oil on both sides
mmmm....okay....
>waterproof/breathable fabrics cannot be maintained, repaired, or restored
Gee, my 17 year old Goretex chest waders that have been through hell and high water (literally, I went wading in Hell, ND, during a flood), which have been patched dozens of times and which have stood up to rusty barbed wire, submerged poky shit, dog claws, and riding around in the bed of my truck for 17 years yet are still 100% waterproof and still breathe just fine will disagree with you.

Yes, oilskin and waxed canvas is durable. Yes, with good care it can be handed down. So is and so can goretex or any of the other brands of waterproof/breathable fabrics if you're not a literal complete retard who both abuses and neglects it, all while weighing a miniscule fraction as much.
>>
>>1074740
uh.

The one I was issued was rubberized nylon twill. No ripstop, and the rubberization was actual rubber and thick as fuck.

>>1074799
USGI poncho I was issued wouldn't snag on shit, it was thick and stiff. Wore that through multiflora rose for almost a decade and never had a hole or tear and it wasn't new when I was issued it.
>>
File: IMG_5193.jpg (58KB, 620x579px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5193.jpg
58KB, 620x579px
Do it OP. You'll look like Lorenzo Lamas and women find that irresistible.
>>
>>1075071
glad someone ITT isn't retarded
>>
>>1076443
The last ones I had experience with was in the 1980s. Although, I'm sure there are a few different types. If you have one that is rubberized then it will do a lot better. I use a dark green Carhartt brand polyester-backed PVC raincoat (from Cabela's). It feels and moves like rubber. Since I don't work with barbed wire anymore I can use it instead of the oilskin drover. It is lighter, but I need to get some matching bibs for it, because in a downpour everything from my thighs down gets wet. If I had to work with barbed wire again I'd switch back to oilskin.
>>
>>1076436
And people come into those and screech GLAWK AYYYARRR COWBOYLARPERS constantly and it's getting old
>>
>>1076441
>Implying GoreTex
I never said a thing about GoreTex read the post.
Ain't got money for that shit
>>
Ausfag here, google drizabone
>>
>>1076577
Yet you have money for a $200 oilskin?
yeah nah
>>
>>1076441
Not the guy you're replying to, but I was just wondering...

Is it just me or was the older (first generation) Gore-tex stuff way more durable? It seems like today manufacturers just 'buy' the Gore-Tex licence, do the bare minimum to get the label onto the garment and outsource that shit to the cheapest third-world factory and leave it at that.

When I was looking at a coat last year a lot of reviews of these kinds of coats read that the coat would start leaking in the places where they touch the straps on your pack after just a few weeks of use.
>>
>>1076645
Not me buying the oilskin, I just hate rain jackets
>>
>>1076748
It's bullshit, I grew up so close to the factory they make GTX that it gave my dog cancer. We end up with raw sheeting off of the ends of rolls around there. That stuff is miracle material. Whatever the thinner crap the put into garments is not at all equal to the real steel goretex sheeting.
>>
>>1076748
Anybody who talks about GTX leaking needs to warranty it or shut the fuck up. The membrane should not fail like that and that's why it comes with a lifetime warranty. It's not how it works. 99% of the time it's the retard customer not retreating the DWR, the face gets saturated, the garment won't breath through that spot, and the sweat groups to mirror the face saturation. Joe Schmo takes this to mean a leak.
>>
>>1076877
>t. W.L. Gore Associate
>>
>>1076854
I see, so it's not just me, then?

>>1076877
I think that can account for a big percentage of those cases, although there were also a few that explicitly stated in their reviews they had returned the garment and their replacement had the same problems. You don't want to keep returning your clothes.

Although, you do have a point, most people are idiots.
>>
>>1076748
The way I see it is:
>early generation GTX stuff was all *at least* triple layer, usually with a high-denier, abrasion resistant nylon outer shell (my goretex waders are 1200d nylon faced)
Made it much much much harder to damage the membrane and it took about 10x longer to get it dirty to the point it started leaking. Tradeoff is it was heavier and bulkier.
>>
>>1077200
Make GoreTex Great Again!
>>
>>1076645
My oilskin was a lot cheaper than my goretex.
>>
>>1077753
So did you score your oilskin out of a Goodwill, or did you buy into the dedbird meme?

Because a perfectly serviceable Goretex rain jacket from Columbia, TNF, Marmot, Patagonia, etc should be $60-80 and even going through the chinkshit-amazon oilskins I'm not seeing any for under $110.
>>
>>1074270
don't like rags soaked in lineseed oil catch fire spontaneously sometimes. Interesting thing to wear in this case.
>>
>>1076577
Goretex was affordable in the 80s when it first was invented and since then clothing prices are way cheaper due to shipping all apparel jobs overseas. Do you not have a job or a skill?
>>
>>1077770
unless you're buying used then a GTX jacket from those companies at a bargain is more like $130+ and MSRP is more like $200+
>>
>>1078705
Spontaneous combustion can occur as oils like linseed oil are in the process of drying, but once the volatile companies have evaporated, it's no longer a concern.
>>
>>1078743
*volatile components
>>
>>1078735
...no?
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/columbia-mens-watertight-ii-rain-jacket-15cmbmmwtrtghtjckapo/15cmbmmwtrtghtjckapo?categoryId=202045
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/columbia-mens-glennaker-lakes-rain-jacket-15cmbmglnnkrlksrnapo/15cmbmglnnkrlksrnapo?categoryId=202045
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/the-north-face-mens-stinson-rain-jacket-16tnommstnsnxxxxxrnw/16tnommstnsnxxxxxrnw?categoryId=202045
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/the-north-face-mens-cyclone-2-hooded-jacket-16tnommcycln2hdxxrnw/16tnommcycln2hdxxrnw?categoryId=202045
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/marmot-mens-precip-rain-jacket-16mrmmmprcpjcktsprnw/16mrmmmprcpjcktsprnw?categoryId=202045
Here's at least one for each brand in the sub-$100 category. The Columbia ones are sub-$50.
>>
>>1078747
Those brands are crap
>>
>>1078758
Those specifically are the brands I was arguing about as being perfectly serviceable, and they are far from crap.

Let me reiterate: Did you get your oilskin at a goodwill, or did you buy into the dedbirb meme?
>>
>>1078764
>Wearing oilskin

Oilskin is for people working on a ranch or similar or larping faggots. Assuming he works on a ranch this brands are not serviceable
>>
>>1074246
But a waxed cotton coat is hipster bullshit.
Just look what professionals wear that have work outdoors at all conditions. Like construction, fishing, SAR, EMS, garbagemen, delivery guys, parkrangers, lumberjacks, roughnecks, farmers, indigenous people, army etc. They dont wear cotton meme cowboy coats. Sure some use more traditional / fashion / dresscode stuff like lumberindustry and flannel. But still. Modern stuff dominates

>>1078758
Those are pretty major &mainstream outdoor brands. Also gortex is like really old technology you can get at wallmart.
>>
>>1078705
>don't like rags soaked in lineseed oil catch fire spontaneously sometimes

yes- an acquaintance burned his house down a few weeks ago from just this...left his rags out by the side of the house and poof! no more house.
>>
>>1078776
where i live it's just carhartt everywhere. only synthetics i see are company issue.
>>
>>1078769
And it's already been established he's a larping faggot and not a rancher.
>>
>>1078776
>>1074248
>>1075294
>>1075444

Gentlemen. As a resident of a BLM town with an artschool and a "arts district" I feel as though I may be a bit of an "authority" on this "hipster" matter.

Humbly and sincerely gentlemen, do go fuck yourselves with your "wild" accusations. The hipster abhors the long coat. It will take you more than 20 seconds to find a picture of a MALE hipster, in anything that's longer than his skinny-jeaned ass. That length of time my dear gentlemen, means that it is not "hip" and thus, no hipster would dare attempt it. Yes--you hear "waxed cotton" and immediately jump to the hipster bashing offensive, but isn't this really more of a "bushy-cuck" matter? Shouldn't we be accusing this Oh-Pee of bush-cuckelry? Shouldn't we be accusing him less of skinny jeans and more of batonny-chopchop?
>>
>>1075278
>literally me in high school
I was happier then ;_;, which considering what high school was actually like for me, is especially sad
>>
File: Don't Be Afraid.jpg (39KB, 530x353px) Image search: [Google]
Don't Be Afraid.jpg
39KB, 530x353px
>>1079125
Why not do that now, but without the shittiness of highschool? Life can be really good.
>>
>>1079133
I do in the winter, but also I'm fat so nothing looks good on me anyway
>can't stop drinking
>>
Have a look at Driza-Bone. High quality Australian brand that does oilskin coats. You can probably find a company that will ship international. These coats/jackets are quite popular for farmers, horse enthusiasts and motorcyclist over here. The riding coat is probably what you are looking for, but is rather expensive.
>>
>>1078747
Are ANY of those goretex?
>>
>>1079822
All of them are, yes.
>>
>>1079830
Horse shit. Not a single one is goretex. Can you not fucking read your own links or do you just not know what goretex is?
>>
>>1078722
>since then clothing prices are way cheaper due to shipping all apparel jobs overseas
As The Bard says, therein lies the rub
>>
>>1079899
>therein lies the rub
there's the rub*
>>
>>1074251
Something that weighs a fuckton, doesn't breathe and has no stretch might not work for say....an alpine climber.
>>
>>1081926
I was quoting Inside Man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE0ne430gbA
>>
If you don't own a horse, this is hipster bullshit.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.