[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What outdoor kitchen do you people use? Do you really need anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

File: bushbox3.jpg (182KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bushbox3.jpg
182KB, 1024x768px
What outdoor kitchen do you people use? Do you really need anything more advanced than a wood stove and something to fuel the fire if it's wet/rainy?
>>
>>1074233
I have one of those. You have to continually feed it little sticks which means babysitting it and going off to refuel your stick pile if you run out.

Its much better to use solid fuel tabs imo.
>>
File: Eggs and Biscuits - 2min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Eggs and Biscuits - 2min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1074233
I only ever use wood while out. A handful of twigs is enough for a big meal.
>>
File: ok(11).png (35KB, 159x159px) Image search: [Google]
ok(11).png
35KB, 159x159px
little stove like that should do fine. I got this but haven't tried it out.
>>
>>1074238
At most I'll be boiling water and cook rice and pasta so that isn't much of a concern to me but I'm worried if it's suitable to only bring a wood stove for a beginner. I keep reading about how they're more difficult to use compared to canisters or alcohol based stoves but I really like how simple the wood stoves are.
>>
If you can't build your own cooking fire and need an appliance, you shouldn't be camping in the first place.
>>
File: 1499883288881.jpg (48KB, 539x525px) Image search: [Google]
1499883288881.jpg
48KB, 539x525px
>>1074523
Bring a firebox nano 2 and a brass trangia. You can feed the firebox with wood (don't ahve to baby it, can split a section of log and pack the 4 bits in for an hour of burning) and when it rains use the trangia. Cool thing about the trangia is that it seals to keep any leftover fuel inside for next use.

Or DIY one but I like my titanium firebox, it works remarkably well and can hold my wider pan. UK has one called a 'honeybox' or something.
>>
File: merriam.jpg (342KB, 1073x792px) Image search: [Google]
merriam.jpg
342KB, 1073x792px
>>1074524
or you're camping someplace where fires aren't allowed or aren't possible. pic from this june related to both.

msr whisperlite international masterrace reporting in
>white gas
>kerosene
>motherfucking unleaded gasoline
>>
>>1074524
The fuck kind of logic is that? It's just so you have something to put your pot on when cooking, why would you have any problems with starting a fire if you have a lighter and alcohol?

Hurr durr if you can't start your own fire and need a lighter then you shouldn't be camping in the first place
>>
>>1074233
Small ones are shitty. They make bigger stoves that fold and have ducting to heat your tent.
>>
>>1074233

I have a Solo Stove Lite twig stove and love it. Perfect for 1-3 people. Burns efficiently and very compact. I pack mine with precut hardwood kindling I can light as soon as I want.

Aside from that just a 2 qt ss pot and steel mug that goes with my canteen.
>>
>>1074540
That's true, I'm not really much of an ultralight fag, would something like this be better?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTAD-Stainless-Solidified-Emergency-Preparation/dp/B01LXLTJGJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>1074524
>Learning by doing is dumb
>Watch youtube tutorials until you're pro
You're a douche

Never took a Gas cooker with me.
How long would a little gas cartridge last if you boil 1L of water dayli?
>>
>>1074233
you can buy these utensil dtyers in ikea
they are the best value stove with a few minutes of tinkering you can pack your fuel and fire kit inside ir stack it with your canteen thus not wasting any space.
>>
I just make a fire and find some rocks to make a stove or hot plate with but I guess people here think thats "too hard"
>>
>>1074769
Ok sir.
>>
>>1074523
I don't understand how wood stoves would be simple if it ever rains around you
>>
Jetboil. Fuddled with wood stoves or other propane-based stoves. The Jetboil flash is probably the best thing I've bought when I go camping since I started hiking/camping.
>>
I've just been using a camp fire. It's pretty tricky and I am looking for something better. It takes a long time to setup and am not a fan of getting burnt by the handle of whatever cookware that managed to get into the flame. But if all I have to carry is a pot and a lighter it's good.

I am skeptical on cartridge based stoves, as I always figure I'll just run out of gas or won't be able to prepare the medium sized pot of water/food.
>>
>>1074819
So what type of stove would work in the rain? Just bring some alcohol and pour over the sticks and use the fire to dry wet wood.
>>
>>1074769
Good for you, honey, I bet you don't bring any toilet paper either and wipe your ass with rocks
>>
>>1074847
Gas works fine in the rain
>>
I don't cook anything. I cold soak or just eat uncooked food, not too bad really.
>>
File: Everclear-190-Proof-Label.jpg (123KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Everclear-190-Proof-Label.jpg
123KB, 500x375px
I use an alcohol stove with Everclear® 190 proof.
>Use as fuel for stove
>You can drink it!
>Half the weight ABV of your everyday vodka
>Can use to clean wounds if someone is injured

Works great!
>>
For backpacking I've been using a Primus Eta Lite+ canister stove (similar to Jetboil) for a couple of years now. It's not very lightweight, but it's really efficient with fuel. Which of course means that I don't have to carry as much fuel for it.
I've been looking to get into alcohol stoves to maybe save a little weight, but I want to upgrade to another tent, so it will have to wait. I could always go the DIY route, but I want something reliable for longer trips.

I've also got a trangia (with gas burner), which is pretty heavy, but you can do actual cooking on it.

I like to cook on the fire as well, but I rarely ever make fires when I backpack. For camping in the woods, alone or with friends, a campfire is definitely the most fun.
>>
>>1074850
Actually your mother just rims me.
>>
>>1074847
>>1074819
It rains all the time here. I've never once had trouble starting a fire with wood. It is like "Firemaking 101" level.
>>
>>1074240

>16 minutes to scramble some eggs.
>top heavy, so easy to knock it over on accident.

No thanks, amigo.
>>
>>1074769
a lot of people go /out/ more to enjoy being in nature than interacting with it
>>
>>1074819
for anything sized above twigs, rain doesn't usually bother it
high winds are another story
>>
>>1074853
>cold soak
could you tell me what that means in the context of camp cooking?
>>
>>1074861
>You can drink it!
if you want chemical burns in your mouth and throat, sure
>>
File: IMG_9619-620x330.jpg (78KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9619-620x330.jpg
78KB, 620x330px
>>1074233

Did someone say wood burning stove?
>>
File: 1501871515765.jpg (465KB, 707x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1501871515765.jpg
465KB, 707x1024px
>>1074910
I think anything can fail when there's an accident. Hence the "accident" part.
>>
>>1074930
funny that back then they had to put qualifiers on what they were saying but for different reasons
>>
File: CRO_health_SensaAd_1-14.jpg (73KB, 598x436px) Image search: [Google]
CRO_health_SensaAd_1-14.jpg
73KB, 598x436px
>>1074932
Too bad that now it is worth just as much as back then.
>>
>>1074238
You don't have to find anything.

You can split a whole faggot from bigger wood quicker than you can gather a quarter faggot.
>>
I once saw an old multifuel, pump pressurized, soviet made stove that was designed to run on birch oil, diesel, paint thinner, etc.

It was intended to be placed under the oil pan of a diesel vehicle in cold weather.
But you could cook on it too.

It was €27 and my dumbass didn't buy it. I never saw another like it.
>>
>>1074853
why live?
>>
>>1074927
I have that, works great if you dont mind smelling like an campfire when your done
>>
File: 41mx4BbRXeL._SY355_.jpg (14KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41mx4BbRXeL._SY355_.jpg
14KB, 355x355px
>>
File: FB_IMG_1501918386155.jpg (64KB, 750x909px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1501918386155.jpg
64KB, 750x909px
>>1074919
Are you a fucking aboriginal aussie nigger you need to dilute before drinking.
>>
>>1075553
>if you dont mind smelling like an campfire when your done

What is the point if you don't? Smelling like wood smoke is the best thing ever.
>>
>>1074233
whisperlite international, tarp with rope if wet
>t. NOLS grad
>>
>>1075797
This. Pretty much any liquid/multi fuel stove (a la MSR) is by far the best all-around stove. Maybe certain niche uses where a canister stove or alcohol stove are better, but 99% I'd want the whisperlite.
>>
>>1075905
Why though? It's unnecessarily heavy for most trips imo. I can see it being good in certain demanding conditions (high altitude, freezing temperatures, limited types of fuel available), but in most cases that's not needed.
>>
>>1075906
Is it really that much heavier? Obviously alcohol stoves are light as fuck, but they are a pain to cook with for anything other than boiling water for 1. Alcohol stoves are unstable and are useless for 4-5 months of the year where I live.

I really hate canister stoves primarily due to the waste they generate. They are nice to cook with but most solid waste facilities don't have programs to recycle the canisters and that seems like a big waste to me. Here the weight difference isn't that great and I personally feel that multifuel stoves are generally a more stable base for a pot of water (not a huge deal, but something I notice).

Lastly, compared to a portable wood stove, I think mutlifuel wins easily. Most wood stoves are heavier than the multifuel. They are a pain to operate (no good temperature control). You also have to gather fuel every time you want to make some tea or hot food. Since I don't have forever, and generally my /out/tings are just as long as work allows, I'd rather not waste my time doing this (it adds up).

Like I said, overall I feel that the multifuel stove is the best option. Every stove has something it does best (alcohol is lightest, canister gives the most control, multifuel puts out a shit ton of BTU's in winter), but multifuel is still pretty light and gives some control. Use whatever you want, but I'll never not recommend a multifuel stove over the current options.
>>
>>1075906
Sure the stove's a bit heavier, but they cook enough faster and are enough more fuel-efficient that the fuel weight is less than a third of an alcohol stove's.
>b-but my fantastical, totally made-up scenario has me able to resupply for free with premium-quality lab-grade absolute alcohol every single day and I'm never actually carrying any fuel!

Also:
>an
>followed by a consonant
Go away Poo-in-loo educated yuro
>>
>>1075923
Get the fuck out of this thread you stupid preppie fuck. Not everything needs to be made for the end of the world.

You can get fuel canisters in pretty much any fucking major store or resupply posts.
>>
>>1074594
>How long gas lasts
As usual, it depends on the stove and the pots etc. Some are more efficient than others.

Example (I have a Primus so have looked into it more): Primus Easy Fuel Duo burns for ca. 70 minutes with a 230 g gas bottle. With a PrimeTech/Eta pot (has a heat exchanger at the bottom which improves efficiency) it's about 2 minutes 50 seconds to boil a litre of water, 1 minute more with another type of pot. This time grows the higher in altitude you go and the colder it is and so on.

So, 70 minutes/container / 2.833 minutes/litre = 24.7 litres/container.

Or, for the autists, you boil 1 l of water daily, a 230 g container would last 24 days 16 hours 56 minutes 28 seconds IN THE REFERENCE altitude and temperature using the given gear.

Other 3 kW Primus stoves exhibit similar numbers.

The boil time increase when going up very high (air is thinner, colder) or it's winter. Let's say the time-to-boil is doubled, this means, roughly, you can expect 2 weeks of "one litre a day" from a 230 g container innamountains (but not K2/Everest levels).

Other anecdotal real-life numbers I've seen for a gas Trangia 27 are 15 g/gas per litre of water during the summer in the fells of north Sweden.

A rough rule of thumb: 1 week per 100 g of gas.

Just boiling water takes the least gas, cooking takes more. With freeze dried food you don't really need full boil, almost boil is well enough (assuming water is purified already).

I hope this answered your question anon.
>>
File: roads.gif (956KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
roads.gif
956KB, 500x200px
>>1076162
Contd.

For best results (IMO), get a gas stove with a multifuel adapter. Then you can switch depending on where you're going.

A stove with a hose connecting to the gas container is the most versatile, since you can flip the can upside downto improve operation in the cold. Furthermore, it can be more stabile in the wind than some tower-like construction with the container on the bottom. It depends on what time of year you are /out and where you go.

>pic related
>>
>>1074233
Is there a good way of creating a make shift fire pit with stones,sticks and some match sticks? I just want to control the fire into one designated area
>>
File: 1485568458727.jpg (37KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
1485568458727.jpg
37KB, 511x511px
>>1076162
Quality post, thanks alot
>>
>>1074819
What if it's too moist?
I might consider doing this on my next trail.
>>
>>1074528

Buy one of these and you will never need to buy another stove for backpacking ever.
>>
If it's an established camp that only you use, I would get a cinder block
-cheap
-easy to get
-heavy
Works great plus you can put 2 or 3 pots/pans on it
>>
>>1074861
Stuff is highly taxed around here, about 20 euros per litre. Denatured ethanol is 2 euros. So no drinking for me ;(

BTW, good for you tbat you don't burn methanol or even worse, americucks are stupid like that and have to suffer soot for it.
>>
>>1076508
>Denatured ethanol

US here, hardware stores, in my area, had to stop selling that stuff because retarded rednecks kept buying it to drink and dying when they did. So, they went back to smoking meth...not that they stopped smoking meth at any point. When I was using non-wood fueled stoves I used "Smokeless Odorless Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil" like in,

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Smokeless-Liquid-Paraffin-Lamp/dp/B00TYR8HGY

It worked really well, but you have to diy your own stove for it with 2-3 wicks. It depends on how big your pots are and all that. It is a bit more expensive than rubbing alcohol which I switched to later. Now I use wood-fired rocket stoves exclusively. Because fuck packing in fuels anymore and paying for it.
>>
>>1076083
hey man nothing wrong with preferring a more sustainable product. Let's keep this board info centric and not be angery sweary twelve year olds.
>>
File: IMG_1992.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1992.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1074524
Going outdoors is not only camping.
Maybe you went fishing and want some coffee. Having a stove with a little fire is a way quicker way to boil water.
>>
>>1076656
>White Gas, Gasoline, Diesel etc
>Sustainable
Right....
>>
>>1076199
Yeah just make a chimney w rocks and throw sticks into it.
>>
>>1074594
Depends on the stove, the fuel mix (there's about 6 major gas blends usable with canister stoves), altitude, pot design, etc.

I've got a Whisperlite Universal, which will do bottled liquid fuel or canned gas fuel. Not the most efficient with any one fuel type, but that's the price you pay for being able to burn pretty much anything remotely flammable.

With a 1.1L aluminum pot and a good fitting lid (no heat exchangers or any other bullshit) I can boil 1L of water in 2 minutes 25 seconds with isobutane and 2 minutes 15 seconds with straight butane (which I almost never use because it sucks in cold weather and is hard to find). A 227g canister of isobutane will last me around 17 days of hiking, in which I boil 1L of water twice a day, so approximately 80-85 minutes' burn time.

Fuel efficiency with canister fuel goes down at high altitude or in very cold weather (below 0*F) but is still usable down to -20*F or 16,000ft ASL with the right blend (trimix). Larger pots take longer to boil. Titanium pots take marginally longer to boil, although usually not enough to be the difference between needing 1 canister or 2. Steel pots take significantly less time to boil than either, I've got a 1.8L steel pot that boils in the same time as my 1.1L aluminum pot, even without a lid.
>>
>>1076083
Nigger you have the reading comprehension of a goddamn gnat
>>
>>1076660
>way quicker
No, just sometimes more convenient.
>>
>>1076688
>1 litre in 2min25sec
>Whisperlite universal
Really?
Tech specs say it takes over 3 min, closer to 4 minutes with gas.

And heat exchangers are not BS, they do improve efficiency by leading heat better to the heated vessel.
>>
>>1076702
Yep. Pot size and material matters a LOT with boil times, there's a reason I'm using a comparatively tiny one. IIRC they test the MSR stoves with a 1.8L titanium pot, lidless.

Also doesn't hurt I'm at about 50 ft ASL here in the midwest.
>>
>>1076702
Oh, and I wasn't trying to say heat exchangers don't work (they do), I just don't think they work well enough to be worth the extra weight and bulk for a hiking getup used only for boiling water.
>>
File: svea.png (572KB, 534x950px) Image search: [Google]
svea.png
572KB, 534x950px
Should I clean up my dad's Svea stove from the 70s or buy a modern multifuel stove? I don't mind the extra weight (more of a camper than a backpacker).
>>
>>1074918
Dunno why but sides in orbit
>>
>>1076730
Hell yeah, that's the cool stuff to pass down to kids.
>>
>>1076730
Sure, why not? It is a bit oldskool but since it works, why not use it.
>>
>>1076713
Yes, anon. Different strokes for different folks.

Indeed, with your aluminium pot you get much better boil times due to better heat conductivity vs. titanium.

The Eta Spider is more akin to the MSR Reactor stove series with a windshield and pot and so on. A bit bulky but IMO fast and nice. Modularity is nice. The heat exchanger is in the Eta pot itself, so I could just exchange to a more lightweight pot if I wanted to. Also the wind shield is removable - though I don't remove it since with it one can basically sit exposed, be raped by the rain and wind and cook coffee with a smug smirk on ones face.

Other manufacturers have similar systems, so for a "jack of all trades" kind of approach can be useful to check also stove systems instead of the 28 g water boiling wonder thingy.
>>
>>1075563
Those have zero stability. wouldn't recommend.
>>
>>1074918
>>1076735
I think I know why now.
>could you tell me what that means in the context of camp cooking?
This may be the tidiest question I've ever seen. 10/10
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.