[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long time no shit post. Made a new knife. Rate plox. I design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 20170802_010858.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px)
20170802_010858.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
Long time no shit post. Made a new knife. Rate plox.

I design I have made a few times but tweeked

I begin with a Sandi ground blank.
harden for a hamon.
Temper and grind the cheeks for a convex profile.
Polish and sharpen.
10 second ferric dip for the hamon reveal.
Micro bevel the end and strop to mirror.
The handle is a home brew micarta of alternative olive canvas and burlap.
>>
>>1072737
>kitchen knife/10
Would chop veggies with
>>
File: 20170802_010758.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_010758.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
>>
ill buy it for $50
>>
>>1072737
Looks like a bark river desu. I like it.
>>
I like it. I wouldn't use it myself as I prefer a scandi grind and barrel handle (or at least one without a palm swell or finger grooves)

Have you tested hardness? I'm just wondering if the hamon + regrind has negatively affected the original heat treat.
>>
>>1072880
It still has the Sandi profile just sofened by the convex.
Belt grinder has a water sprayer so it didn't bother temper. Edge is even 60 the portion behind the hamon is 48 according to my file tester.
I do like barrel handles but my design don't have any hotspots.

Something to look at is a octagonal Handel. They supposed to actually feel better and provide more control
>>
>>1072737
Did somebody say shitpost? Well, here you are:
Looks crappy, the colors would blend in perfectly with cow poop. Still better than most commercial "survival" knives though.

Now seriously:
With how the hamon looks, I guess that you cooled the steel to quickly during hardening, making the edge likely to chip.
I don't get why you'd want a hamon on an outdoors knife anyway, it'll just get scratched up the first time you sharpen it on some random rock.
Other than that, it looks like a nice knife for showing off or doing some light work, but I wouldn't rely on it for any hard work.
Also, the sheath looks like it didn't take the knife's form properly, probably causing it to sit either to loose or to tight. If it's loose, wetting the leather and drying it on the knife (which you should wrap in foil to prevent rusting) might help.
>>
>>1073011
Hey ooohh.

As stated above the edge is at 60. It's 1095 and will complete as such vs any offer custom 1095 and well above anything mass produced . The hamon is purley for the soft spine effect making the knife over all more resilient and flexable. I am the maker and in op I have full access to properly reshapen and re etch my knife after any trek or outing.

The shealth is wet formed to my liking so don't worry about it. Stick with your mora senpai
>>
Do you sell your knives?

Don't mind the shit posters
>>
>>1072737
I only rate the shape.

The tang is too weak near the blade (where your index finger is.) With the rivet it's clearly the weak point where the knife will surely break if it ever does.

I can't tell the size of the knife, but I don't like the protruding part in the end of the handle. Why is it there? If I was you I would grind it down. I think it can be done easily.

Also I would grind down the ricasso or whatever the part after the blade is called. It has no other purpose than make sharpening difficult.

>No shit. The knife is beautiful. You're the one who asked for opinions.
>>
nicely done

>would bang
>>
>>1073131
Blade is 4.5in
The pin is a home made Corby bolt . The hole in the tang is about 1/8th of an inch
>>
I'll buy it. Looks great. How much?
>>
Actually no. I don't like the kitchen knife handle at all.
>>
>>1072737
You lost me at removing the scandi grind, homemade esee/TOPS/10 would give you 40 bucks for it
>>
>>1072737
How am I supposed to rate your stupid knife if I can't use it? A good looking knife isn't shit compared to a useful knife.
>>
>>1072737
>no hole to attach a lanyard
It's shit
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.