[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone on /out/ ever hiked the Appalachian Trail? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (272KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272KB, 600x558px
Has anyone on /out/ ever hiked the Appalachian Trail?

I've always loved hiking, but the longest trip I've ever done was a 3 nighter. I'm going to graduating college soon, and I figured I would take the year off after I get my diploma and bike the trail. I'd train, of course, I'd have 4 months to prep before I'd leave. Curious if anyone here has done it and could offer their experience.
>>
I did a SOBO section (Maine-Connecticut) in fall 2013. Avoid the Feb-Apr NOBO bubble.
>>
>>1072350
Did you do it alone? I'd probably be doing this alone--no one I know shares this hobby with me.

I was told SoBo would mean less interaction with people's--it'd be a somber trip especially alone. NoBo was "easier" and also more populated.
>>
File: unnamed (35).jpg (76KB, 700x490px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (35).jpg
76KB, 700x490px
did he say BIKE?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/

The Appalachian Trail is designed, built, and maintained by hikers for foot travel. Motor vehicles are illegal on all off-road sections of the Appalachian Trail. >Bicycles and mountain bikes are not permitted except where the A.T. coincides for about three miles with the C&O Canal towpath in Maryland, the Virginia Creeper Trail in Virginia, in certain Pennsylvania state gamelands, and roads in town. Horses, llamas, and other pack animals are not allowed on the A.T., except along the C&O Canal towpath in Maryland and on about 50 percent of the A.T. in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (where, by law, the route is open for horses as a historical use).
>>
>>1072348
Bike better mean Hike, it's a foot path only.

But yes 2016 nobo. It will take you at least 3 months if you are in great shape with light gear, otherwise depending on how fast you hike and how many zero days expect 4-6 months starting in March.
>>
>>1072348
You will be bored as fuck after a couple weeks. One can only look at forest understory for so long

It's also a pain in the ass to get resupplied as that was not a priority during its creation
>>
>>1072596
>>1072624
Fuck, I meant hike. Autocorrect strikes again.
>>
Does it actually sound fun to you? Real question. Do you actually want to know what 2,200 miles of trees and hills look like, or would you have more fun hiking a few smaller hikes in various climates and conditions?
>>
>>1072652
>>1072630
this! it gets boring as fuck after a while. and if you don't have someone following you in a car from town to town you are going to have a rough go of things when your arch collapses or you run out of food.
>>
File: IMG_2074.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2074.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1072348

I'm doing it now and it's one of the greatest adventures I've ever had. Fuck all these weak faggots, just do it OP.

It will be difficult at first. You'll question every moment you're on the trail but don't give in to your doubts. You'll be snowed on, hailed on, and rained on but in the end you'll be stronger than you ever thought possible.

No amount of training will prepare you for it. You'll change elevation so much that by the end you'll have climbed 16 Mt. Everests. Take your time and really experience it.

Gear won't get you the 2200 miles to Maine. Only your sheer force of will. That being said make sure your pack is a good weight (under 35 lbs). Ignore the ultralight hikers; ignore the ultramarathon runners. This is the hardest long distance trail in the US but it's worth every fucking moment!
>>
>>1072836
>AT is harder than continental divide
>>
>>1072836
I'm front Vermont and the people I see on the last 500 miles of the trail are all very cheerful and happy with their experience. They all tell me that the first 500 miles filters out a lot of people but the ones that make it love it.
>>
>>1072876

I doubt you've done any long distance hiking.

>>1072881

Best part of the AT is that many people try it but very few finish it. Thru hiking is a stunt but definitely worth it if you're capable.
>>
>>1072630
Resupplying is easy as shit. Get AWOLs guide and its not a problem.
>>
>>1072836
>This is the hardest long distance trail in the US
It would be difficult to make an EASIER long distance trail in the US, maybe if the trail was a spiral through Kansas and Iowa, but then, unlike the AT, you wouldn't be 5 miles from a road at all times. The AT is an absolute joke compared to the PCT or Continental Divide.
>>
>>1073330

As of July 27th only 1684 people of the estimated 3735 people who started the AT this year made it to the half way point in Harpers Ferry. That's a 45% success rate for half way. With the PCT and the CDT you hit elevation and stay at elevation. While with the AT you ascend and descend regularly, making the Trail physically demanding more so than other trails. Like I said before you climb 16 Mount Everests by the time you're done with the AT.
>>
>>1072836
What this gent said.

Do it OP.
>>
>>1073330
>ignoring elevation change
I love when bonafide nonhikers regurgitate nonsense
>>
File: IMAG0805.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0805.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
I'm on it now, I don't see the attraction
>>
>>1072836
Thanks for sharing, anon.

Weird question. What kind of underwear are you wearing? Did you specifically choose it for the hike, or was it a kind you've previously used?

I normally wear Calvin Klein briefs but I figured 15-30 miles of walking a day would chafe the shit out of my legs.
>>
>>1074669
>right next to highway
So the AT is the Bear Grylls of through hike trails? FFS...
>>
It's easy peasy, I'll be able to do it in a couple of months at 280 pounds.
>>
File: r11f4sh.jpg (65KB, 900x584px) Image search: [Google]
r11f4sh.jpg
65KB, 900x584px
>>1073330

Appalachian Trail
Distance: 2,175 miles
Total Elevation Gain/Loss: ~515,000 feet

Pacific Crest Trail
Distance: 2,650 miles
Total Elevation Gain/Loss: ~315,000 feet

Continental Divide Trail
Distance: 3,100 miles
Total Elevation Gain/Loss: ~400,000 feet
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.