[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some basics of not dying innawoods? I'm going on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

What are some basics of not dying innawoods? I'm going on a 5 day hike. I got assorted grains for ~2500kcal a day, plus some canned meat. I also got two metal saucers, matches, a lighter, water purification pills, spare clothing, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a mat. Oh, also a knife, a cup, a plate, a spoon and a waterbottle. Also, iodine and bandages. I assume I am set?

pic unrelated
>>
Is this your fist time here?
Did you even look around the board before you started a thread?
>>
>>1071030
No, I shitposted a lot.
>>
>>1071029

You're good to go, OP. Go into the wild!
>>
>>1071037
Thanks. It's actually more than I usually take.
>>
>>1071029
Sounds okay, Anon. Where are ya hiking? Good luck
>>
Real /out/ists throw all that useless shit in the garbage. Just being a knife and only 3 (important) of your favorite doujins.
>>
>>1071029

Your kidding right?

Flashlight/headlamp?

Map of where you going. Compass

Raingear.

Condoms.
>>
>>1071029
5 day hike? if you didn't bring any food you would still be okay nigga. what are you trying to pull here? i have spent 3 days without eating and barely sleeping any before. i was so fucked up by adrenaline i was not even hungry.

after day 9 you gonna have problems without food. water on the other hand, that's no joke especially in the summer.
>>
>>1071029
you HAVE to have a full sized cast iron skillet or you simply wont survive.
>>
>>1071210
Yeah, you've forgotten a few things. Otherwise, you've gotten a lot of the basics.
>>
>>1071029
Depends on climate and location, but you want more water.
Get a flint and steel too
>>
don't you need 5000 kcal per day when innawoods? like because of the amount of walking and wood processing and shit
>>
>>1072363

No. Not everyone is 7 feet tall and 300 lbs. You're not going to drop to unsafe bmi levels from 5 days in the woods with nothing but some GORP and water unless you were already hovering at unsafe bmi levels to begin with. You need to stop paying attention to armchair outdoorsmen.
>>
>>1071029
>don't you need 5000 kcal per day when innawoods? like because of the amount of walking and wood processing and shit

Lol not unless you're competing in a strong man comp and running three marathona
>>
>>1071029
canned food on a five day hike? How fat are you
>>
File: IMG_20170731_213920.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170731_213920.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
OP here. Went in expecting hot sunny weather as per weather report, the moment I set foot in the forest a thunderstorm broke out. Made it to a decent spot, set up camp, spent a couple of hours batoning a fire. Storm was over by then. Started again at night. Spent 2 hours making the fire in the morning, made food, got fed up and went home. Guess next time I'll mostly bring trailmix for breakfasts and only cook dinners.
>>
>>1072777
Bring a lightweight stove next time. Making fires every day is a lot of work.
>>
>>1071265
masochism, the post
>>
>>1072783
i just like to point out every time how fucking much more important to have a gallon of water for every day at least rather than any food for short duration.

faggots always pack light on the water and heavy on the food. which is fine if you camp near a tap or something.
>>
>>1072794
and also one more thing, i would definitely bring a filtration system the purification pills are kind of a hassle. you have to wait a lot to get the chlorine out of the water and you have to prefilter the water anyhow for the pills to be real effective.

sure bring some as last ditch, i would rather have chlorine than iodine because it evaporates out of the water as hcl or something. iodine tasted bad and no matter how much you wait it still gonna taste bad.
>>
File: xB30UPG.jpg (68KB, 540x524px) Image search: [Google]
xB30UPG.jpg
68KB, 540x524px
>>1072777
valuable lesson you have learned there. i bring an alcohol stove, fuck working for fire.

>>1072794
> be 5 days in the bush, just bring a gallon for every day, don't bother with food

week later they find your crisp dried corpse 10 miles from your abandoned backpack, turns out you didn't have the strength to carry both, your 5 gallons of water and your crippling stupidity

>>1072795
Are you daft, clown? Chlorine for water purification will breack down to salt and chlorine gas, it takes a long time, no need to wait. If you drink it, it'll taste bad, but instantly react with your stomach juices to salt and maybe even a smelly burp.
>>
>>1073405
yeah you can drink chlorinated water alright, but in a hour or so exposed to air it will largely be removed. you really shouldn't drink too much chlorine.

>week later they find your crisp dried corpse 10 miles from your abandoned backpack, turns out you didn't have the strength to carry both, your 5 gallons of water and your crippling stupidity
no you will not suffer significant drop in strength and endurance for 8-9 days of starvation. guess what, armies have thousands of years of experience with the march and wars lasting for years. it's pretty well documented that dehydration kills you a hell of a lot faster than starvation. dehydration can make you cramp up be dizzy hallucinate and fail to move on in a day. starvation will do that well after a week.

also if you bring some food for comfort that's not an issue here, it's focusing on having a "proper" calorie intake which is not that important but completely ignoring how hard can be to find treatable water generally on the move and not having large enough containers on the list to carry said water from the source with you is the problem. it sounds retarded.

>Are you daft, clown?
you really shouldn't talk like that it's like a downie calling other people mongoloids.
>>
File: 1494117815682.gif (511KB, 1280x974px) Image search: [Google]
1494117815682.gif
511KB, 1280x974px
>>1073439
>no you will not suffer significant drop in strength and endurance for 8-9 days of starvation

Confirmed summer child knowitall.
>>
>>1073405
Historically in less populated regions when travelling people would simply not bother to take food with them if their trip lasted for just a few days.
>>
File: 1462170756110.jpg (478KB, 1506x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1462170756110.jpg
478KB, 1506x1645px
>>1071210
The condoms are for slaying wolves, no?
>>
Don't listen to this fag >>1072795 just boil any non-filtered water for 15 minutes, kills everything and tastes great.
>>
>>1073443
>Several decades ago, Army nutritionists concluded that soldiers could maintain normal work capacity during short periods (< 10 days) of severely restricted intakes (Consolazio et al., 1967, 1979). This finding corroborated the conclusions from longer-term studies conducted at the University of Minnesota that an energy deficit resulting in less than 10 percent loss of body weight does not impair physical performance (Taylor et al., 1957).
you will find plenty of sources it's a well known fact we have been around for a while and soldiers went hungry a lot.
>>
>>1073449
they have many survival uses: waterproofing electronics or tinder material, storing and transporting drinking water, you can even make slingshots with them, but my favorite is if i have to pee at a cold night and can't be bothered to go out, i can just let in one and tie it up toss it in a corner and throw it in a river in the morning.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.