[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could antarctica be the perfect hermit refuge? - solar panels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: 1501386486238.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501386486238.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
Could antarctica be the perfect hermit refuge?

- solar panels
- wind turbines
- elevated structure to protect from permafrost
- water is certainly not an issue
- no internet (biggest and only downside)
- once a year jamal comes with his helicopter and drops a fuckload of supplies and food

when do we pack our bags? ignore the treaty and all that bs for this thread.
>>
i think it would suck to live there.

>life below zero
>>
File: 1492939174915.jpg (64KB, 925x820px) Image search: [Google]
1492939174915.jpg
64KB, 925x820px
>>1070807
>hermit
>internet
>downside

What kind of delusion you kids got into?
>>
>>1070807
>water is certainly not an issue
apart from the fact it's the driest place on earth?
>>
Where did Jamal get a helicoptor
>>
>>1070807
>perfect hermit refuge?
Why move from mommy's basement ?
>>
>go take a piss outside
>150km/h winds
>-92°C
>take out your dick and start pissing
>your jet is pushed sideways, 50 meters away from you
>your piss is hitting your ECW habitat
>as soon as the first drops hit its surface, they freeze instantly
>you have no time to react and adjust your aim
>it's too late
>your cock is frozen and locked into place by that icy piss line to the shiny, metallic surface of what you call home
>you either cut your dick loose or die out there
>but it's too late
>you forgot to lock the door behind you
>powerful winds enter your little home and lift it up into the darkness
>you are still attached to its surface
>you've become an umbrella, a weather balloon lost in a vast apocalyptic painting, a tiny dot in the cold immensity of an unforgiving land
>soon the oxygen in your lungs freeze
>you are floating away forever 10km up into the air
>NORAD satellites pick up your presence above the sea
>the U.S. air force shoots you down with an anti satellite missile
>you explode in a billion little pieces of frozen meat for fishes and sea lions to eat as you hit the water inside a 500km radius
>should have pissed in your piss jar
>>
>>1070910
very well done anon

a chilling vision of things to come.
>>
>>1070910
I read the story of a guy who used his own frozen poop to carve himself a way out of ice
Happened in the Arctic tho
>>
>>1070910
Lol
>>
>>1070842
He culturally appropriated it from Jose.
>>
File: you.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>1070910
Have a (you), son. You deserve it.
>>
>>1070910

Are you the anon who wrote the greentext story about the flooded bathroom and plunger ordered from Amazon?
>>
>>1070807
>desire to post /x/ tier-shit intensifies
>>
File: jej.jpg (141KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
jej.jpg
141KB, 600x580px
>>1071016
Please tell me somebody screencapped that
>>
>>1071130
Seconding this.

>>1071016
Sounds like a quality greentext.
>>
>>1070915
wtf
>>
>>1071020
>>1071130
>>1071395
plz proceed
>>
File: 49461371.gif (1MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
49461371.gif
1MB, 500x280px
>>1070807
>- no internet (biggest and only downside)
what is sattelite
what is iridium
what is drone

https://youtu.be/eOez_Hk80TI
>>
>>1070807
>Jamal delayed, everyone dies
>Jamal crashes, everyone dies
>go out to fix turbine in heavy wind, die
>psych case snaps, everyone dies
>serious medical condition, wait for Jamal, die
No.
>>
>>1070807
I got lucky and after a year of begging got to tag along with NSF to Amundsen-Scott a few years ago. It was cool to stay for a couple days, but I couldn't live there more than a week or two, especially during winter. Definitely changed my opinion on the feasibility of working there like I had wanted to. Everyone there gets a thorough psychological evaluation before they arrive, but only a few are unaffected by the conditions and most people need several months to recover mentally after going home. The isolation and culture/environment take a toll even on the toughest people who are cleared fit to work there.
Also keep in mind that solar panels only work half the year and only in good weather, and wind turbines have to be maintained and deiced just like anything else mechanical. Water and heating said water is definitely an issue as it's rationed pretty carefully due to limited fuel reserves. Believe it or not there is internet access, but it's slow and only available intermittently for basic purposes (i.e no browsing and torrenting movies and vidya). Supply planes come in multiple times during the summer, to the point where there can be several flights per day, although not all of them are delivering essentials. Land supply happens too, mostly for fuel deliveries.
If you want a sustainable and somewhat self sufficient habitat in Antarctica, you would need to dig a very large hole in terrain that isn't going to shift frequently, then cover the top with a massive geodesic dome or something to create a greenhouse inside. Probably couldn't find suitable soil under the permafrost so you'd need to import it and then recycle it between crops. You could insulate tunnels and rooms and use solar panels and wind turbines to generate power, but again these have to be maintained even in the middle of winter with extremely strong winds at -100F. Also the entire operation would probably need to be above or nearly above a subglacial lake for fresh water access.
>>
>external food supply

Can't they greenhouse some for some degree of survivability?
>>
>>1072769
Problem is they don't get near enough sun for half the year. Nothing will grow unless you install grow lamps and subsoil heaters. That takes EVEN MORE power, EVEN MORE fuel, and makes you even more dependent on the outside world.
You can't escape it. It's just too cold.
>>
>>1070807
>Could antarctica be the perfect hermit refuge?

no, no it couldnt.

all the shit you listed, solar, wind energy, external food source, basically means you need to be LOADED.

hence, NO it is not the ''perfect'' hermit refuge.
>>
If you want to live inside all day, just save your self a lot of money and live in a hole.
>>
>>1070807
>- no internet (biggest and only downside)

This is the best part. Internet was a mistake.
>>
>>1071020
Do it
>>
>>1070826
I usually hate those types of documentaries because it's so obvious they make everything into a live or die situation whether or not it's really that bad. However Life Below Zero is really good.
That being said I watched it once super high and it freaked the fuck out of me. That dude that's like late 20s and a hunting guide butchering animals felt so visceral and gross it made me give up meat for a few weeks.
>>
>>1070835
In terms of precipitation, I guess. But the place is l i t e r a l l y covered in snow and ice.
>>
In order to move shit to Antarctica, you need one of the following two things.

>purpose built icebreaker
>cargo aircraft with skis and a runway

This poses some logistical challenge.

On the plus side, you could fuck around with pykrete buildings.
>>
This involves an awful lot of faith in Jamal and your own rationing skills.

And If you have enough $$ to build a livable shelter in Antarctica, you have enough to build a fantastic shelter somewhere livable.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.