[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some /out/ related jobs where I can live inna woods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 12

File: pachan200w.jpg (70KB, 200x299px)
pachan200w.jpg
70KB, 200x299px
What are some /out/ related jobs where I can live inna woods that don't require a university degree?
>>
Sanitation

Some areas only require park rangers to have a high school diploma.
>>
Wildland firefighter if you can hack it
>>
>>1068545
Outfitting ofc
>>
Can and bottle collector, sign flyer, gas jugger
>>
Do parks need building control technicians?
>>
In another thread someone mentioned a job somewhere in Europe where you'd be given a truck and a forest to cut down.
You'd have to live there all isolated for months at a time.

No saw or powertools. Just an axe.

And the pay was really good because the trees were prone to explode from the slightest spark or some shit like that and it was highly dangerous.
>>
>>1068545
I'm also interested in OP's topic. I have an unrelated bachelor's degree though.
>>
>>1068847
Fuck I never did save that post.
>>
>>1068545
Go to EMT school for 16 weeks and do something with that.
>>
Best option is probably a wildland firefighter, you could work for a gov agency like the USFS, BLM, etc. and make really good money, including hazard pay. Did it for the Forest Service last year. Pretty dangerous but dont be a dumbass youll be fine. You could also work for specific counties. Good money too. Ya get to live in the woods during summers, but youre basically gonna have to be seasonal for fa few years.
>>
>>1068870
Sounds Like a dream. Sadly i live in Germany and have to be a wagecuck or neet for the rest of my Life.
>>
File: why no use claws.png (842KB, 712x816px) Image search: [Google]
why no use claws.png
842KB, 712x816px
Work for a logging company
>>
Forest service in the PNW is understaffed
You get an ecology or forestry related degree you're sitting on that sweet innawoods government job.
For those without skills, there's fish hatcheries, conservation corps, seasonal park labor, all sorts of stuff that can at least be used as a stepping stone to a real job.
>>
>>1068545
Youtuber, seriously. Go innawoods and film lots of sweet content with nice photography and scenery. Don't shill, don't talk much, don't be retarded, build a decent subscriber base and enjoy jewtube shekels.
>>
>>1069014
There is no YouTube shekels without shilling and reviews.

Views alone don't make you any money and not only do you have to dedicate many hours a week to filming and editing you also need equipment and the knowledge, skill to use it.
>>
>>1068545
if you have little experience or a degree at all look into conservation corps in your state/area. some of them might also have programs where they can place you into a position. i got to work for my states dlnr, which has kinda opened the door to some other positions for me
>>
>>1068870
>but youre basically gonna have to be seasonal for fa few years.

Does this mean there are opportunities for advancement/permanent employment if you stick with the feds? I did it for a summer for my state but I just kind of fell into it and didn't consider looking into better options, have been considering going back in a year or two
>>
Hermitry.

Hermits are just forest neets so it is perfect.
>>
Heres what I did.

I was in US Marines out of High School.
Used GI Bill went to college, got business degree.
Worked as a firefighter for a couple of summers (best work if you can hack it)
Guided a bit for a local outfitter for other summers (I would rather firefight, the clients are a pain in the ass).
I work in insurance now but here me out. I do farm and ranch claims, meaning I go pay farmers and ranchers for their stuff. I drive most days 5 plus hours all over my home state of Wyoming (the place where no one lives)
I find all kinds of nooks and crannies to get lost in and explore.
I'm a pretty avid hunter fisherman, works for me. I basically do about 10 hours of actual work in a week, rest is driving and scouting new lands for me. I get the standard corporate safety net, salary, car, 401K, health insurance etc.
>>
File: WP_20140419_010.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140419_010.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I've had a couple jobs where i lived in the bush

>Remote area track worker
Spent 8 days in the bush and 6 days home

>National park weed management
They had cabins in the bush for workers, only $5 a night
>>
>>1069093
>There is no YouTube shekels without shilling and reviews.

Too many people dont know this. The only way to make it on views alone is by getting multiple millions of views per vid, and joe blow makin wholesome content from the woods is gunna get all of 65 subscribers. So the only way to make it in the outdoors/homestead genre is to be a fkn sell out like wranglerfuck or the Pure Living for Life idiots crankin out multiple vids a week and who put no less than 28 amazon shill links in every vid description and 9 additional links to their blog
>>
>>1069093
>>1069180
My bad then, op can always beg for patrons tho.

>Wranglerbitch
That faggot is always on my suggestions with a different ________ on AMAZON. I have thought about writing to jewtube so they can stop shill his videos to me but I doubt that would work.
>>
File: mt game warden.jpg (74KB, 810x537px) Image search: [Google]
mt game warden.jpg
74KB, 810x537px
Game Warden
>>
>>1069180
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

Wrong
>>
>>1068545
Web Designer with Satellite Internet
>>
>>1069187
Hover the video, you'll see a vertical "...". Click that, then click "Not interested" you should stop seeing Wrangerass videos so often.

That said, I liked his videos where he talked about his ready bag and life as wildfire fighter.
>>
>>1070701
You are still going to need to meet your clients f2f.
>>
File: 1480093420526.jpg (4MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480093420526.jpg
4MB, 3840x1080px
I am interested in the same anon, I am about to finish high school and I just want to get the fuck away from here (South FL).
College here is expensive and requires a lot of time. I am also retarded when it comes to math (I can't even do Algebra 1, and I can barely multiply), that pretty much stops my chances of succeeding with higher education.
I want to live in the woods, away from the city life that I was raised in. Growing my own food, and raising animals.
The freedom to do whatever the fuck I want. In the city there are strict rules and building codes so you don't have freedom to do what you want on your property.
I want to breathe the fresh, and pure air. Free from contaminants, and pollution.
I want to be able to explore, camp, hike, hunt, and fish. I love all of these hobbies but I really don't have the chance to do them often (If at all, besides fishing) around here.
If I had a few cool neighbors, or local friends my life would be complete. I would help them out with whatever they need, and they can do the same. Plus the fact of being able to share all of these activities with them.

Am I asking for too much?
>>
>Recent Graduate with Wildlife Biology B.S.
>Looking for jobs
>Everything that asks for Bachelors degrees, people with Masters are applying for
>Pay 30k a year anyway
>Jobs people with Bachelors are applying for pay $12 per hour.

Fuck, guess I'm sticking with working IT. At least I have 4 years experience doing that. Don't get an /out/ job if you want to make money.
>>
>>1068545
meth cooker
>>
>>1070675
Find another.
>>
>>1069141
that's a decent living
maybe i should get a degree in business
>>
be a tree planter in BC Canada, or Ontario. it's hard work and crappy all the time but in two months you can easily make $5000, once experienced you can make $200 a day minimum if you work at it
in BC the experts work from February to August but make enough money to take the rest of the year off as a vacation and still save some money up
>>
>>1070816
>Everything that asks for Bachelors degrees, people with Masters are applying for
Gun for it anyway, a lot of places will pass up on hiring people with their masters because they would have to pay them more.
>>
>>1070816
Damn anon I'm already feeling this way. 3rd semester in as a bio major with a focus towards wildlife and freaking school changed curriculum and is now catering to med school which means the classes I wanted to take are basically gone. I keep looking for jobs at usajobs.gov and my surrounding states and all are giving me the same downer info.

Currently working a security job part time and I would be making more than 30k if I went full. I don't know if I should just drop out, go trade school, or stay security or go LE since it pays better. Only thing making it difficult is that I don't like having to constantly have to deal with people's stupidity and bs and the bio jobs seem to be an escape from it even though it pays less.
>>
>>1070777
Yeah I do that in every single video that appears on my suggestions, however they keep appearing, at least once a day.

>he talked about his ready bag and life as wildfire fighter
During that time I still was a sub and it was kinda nice indeed despite him carrying way too much shit, so much that he made further videos on what gear he didn't need. Unfortunately soon after that he probably realized that there was many shekels to be made and shifted into a 100% shill channel, at least that's what it seems judging by his video's titles.

Either way it's his channel and he's free to do so, people who doesn't like are free to unsub too, like I did. That being said his channel seems to continue growing substantially, which is no surprise since we live in a consumerist society that craves content, even if it's advertisement.

I digress, sorry for the off topic, opie.
>>
>>1070880
If you have a state with a rural insurance carrier, an XYZ Farm Bureau or something see if you can get an internship. Underwriting is a nice, easy career too although you will be stuck in nearest corporate office, but you may be able to work remotely.
>>
>>1070949
I was thinking about tree planting but I'm worried it will obliterate my back. Thoughts anon?
>>
>>1069107
10 years of seasonal work is pretty normal before a permanent. I'm halfway there!
>>
Anybody here know about AmeriCorps? I applied because I have no idea what I want to do but I was accepted to the Pacific region. Really all I'm interested in is getting into the fire management program but I have to pass a pack test. But you know, the whole "slightly above poverty line" living in exchange for hard labor is giving me second thoughts. I know it's in the spirit of volunteering, but I got out of the military really fucking fast because I didn't mesh well with the whole lack of freedom and orders thing. I wasn't a troublemaker, it just made me really fucking miserable.
>>
>>1071710
I know a bit about it but I've never worked or volunteered with them. It's a long-term program then? They are offering housing and food?

All I've ever read about is the local volunteering where they offer support for education at the end of the program. I had no idea they had long-term programs.
>>
>>1071023
>masters means you get paid more
That isn't real life.
>>
>>1068847
>And the pay was really good because the trees were prone to explode from the slightest spark or some shit like that and it was highly dangerous.
What
>>
>>1071767
It's the NCCC program which is 10 months long and housing of some sort is provided, shared with 10 people. The only pay is a stipend for food so that's one of the challenges. They work on projects that last 2-3 months so there's a bit of travel in team vans.
It sounds like a good enough experience but I'm sure the labor sucks. I'm wondering how they keep morale up.
>>
>>1070816
Yeah BSc is the new high school diploma. Job market is shitty so overqualified people are applying for all jobs.

A friend of mine was on a hiring committee for a federal job that should be ideal for a BSc/Msc. He said PhDs with stellar CVs were applying, because the job market just isn't great.

I have a background in forestry and ended up going the academic route (MSc then PhD). I'm a post doc now and not too worried about full-time employment, but there is definitely a lot more competition these days.

Most people I know with BSc/MSc in wildlife are working as contractors doing surveys for oil companies.
>>
>>1068545
>>1070801
There's always full time farming but it requires starting capital and it's definitely the kind of lifestyle one should think about at length first.
>>
>>1071912
>How they keep morale up

When I had CC crews working for me I would throw them a BBQ on their last night and bring them freezer pops while they working. Seemed to help but not every client is going to be that nice.
>>
>>1071815
Eucalyptus probably. It's insanely flammable since the trees emit combustable fumes.
>>
>>1069165
Are you working over east or in WA?
>>
>>1068831
just to clear this post up for those who may not know, this anon is talking about being a hobo
>>
File: mega cringe.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mega cringe.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>1068847
>the trees were prone to explode from the slightest spark or some shit like that and it was highly dangerous.
How gullible are you?
>>
>>1068758
most rural fire brigade services are voluntary
>>
Can you become a ranger with an degree in environmental studies (ba) or does it have to be environmental science (bsc)?
>>
>>1072758
I recall the trees were eucalyptus. Which do have a tendency to spontaneously self-combust, but I cannot say if they explode per se.
>>
>>1070816
Apply anyway man. I got my last job by writing a great cover letter, having a few certifications, and having relevant experience. There were people with PhDs applying but I got the job without a degree because I interviewed well
>>
>>1073074
You need a degree in fee collecting
>>
>>1072758
Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>1068848
Same, therefore bump.
>>
File: 1471269677750.jpg (190KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1471269677750.jpg
190KB, 1000x750px
>>1070801
>>1070801
Damn, I'm in South FL too and I want to get the fuck out of here.
>22
>no degree
>want to live somewhere that has amazing outdoors, some mountains at the least
>consistent 70 degree weater, not too cold not too hot
>good gun laws
>>
I make 17/hr sitting in a truck all day moving from one shady spot to the next as I play games and watch Netflix. Does that count as /out/?
>>
>>1074031
Same here anon, like literally. You interested in some of the stuff I mentioned?
>>
>>1074057
What do you do?
>>
>>1068545
https://youtu.be/-l0KNCzb88Q
>>
>>1072758
No man that's real, Roman pines nigga
>>
>>1068866
did it years back, got my EMT-B, and was offered a minimum wage job. checked around and that was common. make sure you don't live in an area with a lot of full fledged paramedics since no one wants to waste their time on a glorified driver
>>
>>1074057
what do you do?
>>
>>1075187
This. I got EMT B certified in college because I had a semester to kill and I thought being an EMT would look good on a job application... I was offered 2 jobs. 1 for 7.75 an hour, the other for 8.25 an hour. Both as drivers for private ambulance companies.

>TFW you realize paramedics in most of the US are only making 14-15ish dollars an hour
>>
>>1069180
You could have regular job, buy some land, quit job, start living in camp on said land, get internet phone and power, begin youtubing upload everyday, and boom perfect
>>
>>1069141
im an independent adjuster and can confirm anons story. the best job out there for vagabonds and outdoor types imo, even though im a desk jockey nowadays, i may get back on the road if we get a hurricane this year
>>
>>1070801
Bump muh question
>>
File: Group photo.jpg (698KB, 1280x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Group photo.jpg
698KB, 1280x1042px
>>1068758
This. Just got back from my first 2 week run. This was the most rewarding thing I have ever done up to this point in my life. Just on a contract crew for now, but hoping to go federal and make it a career.
>>
>>1078488
Where is the women's group photo?
>>
>>1078520
This was my entire handcrew, save for four members watching the water pump.
>>
File: IMG_0054.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0054.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>1068545
3rd year UBC forestry student here.
Go with the degree if you're sure that's what you want.

Many days the suck is REAL. other days, it's pretty cool. In retrospect everything seems fine (even though the suffering was real in the moment)
>>
>>1078488
Great photo.
>>
>>1072211 >>1069165

Currently working in Tasmania but i'm from W.A

Did my certificate 3 in Conservation and Land management which probably helped me get those jobs
>>
Does Europe have wildland firefighters?
>>
>>1078668
I don't know about every country but I presume most just have regular volunteer and employed firemen.
>>
>>1078665
How'd you land them? I have the same qualification.
>>
I've got my NFPA FF1&2 certification as well as a hazmat ops certification, and 4 years of experience on a call company fire department. Would I stand a better chance at landing a gig as a wild land firefighter? How much do those guys usually make anyway? Right now I'm a groundman/grunt on a linework crew which means I get paid about 19 bucks an hour to dig holes and drive a bucket truck around for 50 hours a week but I really miss firefighting and I wanna be innawoods and GTFO of this monstrous city (Houston). Are wildland FF wages comparable to what I make now? I don't mind taking a little bit of a pay hit cause Im living well within my means currently, but I'd rather not get stuck making 10 bucks an hour.
>>
>>1078488
>US
>white
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129KB, 1920x1080px
>>1078668
Here in Portugal we have a couple specialized units, one from the firefighters called special firefighters unit and one from the national guard called GIPS. Both are airborne and have wildfires as a big part of their skills and roles but they also have major roles in SAR, natural disasters and such.
And even then it's not near enough, we're one of smallest southern euro countries and we alone account for 1/3 of all burnt area. Fucking ridicule.
>>
>>1070801
You should really learn how to multiply man and basic algebra at least. If you want to be self sufficient you need to understand math, no matter how primitive you want your life to be. I'm a forester and I use multiplication/simple algebra almost every day.
>>
>>1074031
>Some mountains
>consistent 70 degree weather

Have you ever been to the mountains anon?
>>
>>1072152
>>1071912
>>1071767
>>1071710
I had a very good friend and girlfriend that did state conservation corps work. It's all luck of the draw. If your team gets along well with eachother and the state employees overseeing you are really nice it's a good time. If one or more of those things is not true, it's awful. They basically rely on charity from full time employees. You do the work no one else will do around there. You'll get a red card and other certs that can get you other seasonal jobs later. If you feel like taking a chance, you could have a fun year and get a few certs and do lots of networking.
>>
>>1079496
Also if anyone is interested to know more about how poorly managed fires here are feel free to read. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/12/world/europe/portugal-forest-fires-pedrogao-grande.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
>>
>>1069093
There is a guy on YouTube who cooks really expensive meat cuts outdoor. His videos are awesome; tribal, simple, no talking.
>>
>>1068545
the obvious choices would be:
-woodcutter
-forest manager (most of them do have degrees, but there are some without)
-hunter (I do not know how it is in other countries, but here in germany the owner of the hunting rights is responsible for any damage caused by wild animals, which is why many of them hire professional hunters to protect farms from boars and rabbits)
-ranger (some areas require degrees in biology though)
-(travelling) shepherd

If you're living in a country where living in the woods is legal for everybody, these might also be options:
-artist (woodcarver, painter, author etc - you just need somebody paying for your works)
-survival coach
-guard for some rich dudes outdoor retreat

Also, if it doesn't have to be in the deepest part of the woods, you could build a farm at the edge of the forest and live by growing your own food and doing a part-time job for money (which is what I'm planning to do once I have the money for it).
>>
>>1079514
>Paying job
>Charity

Why are millennials so entitled?
>>
File: 1408468454253.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1408468454253.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>>1073089
>Eucalyptus
>In Europe

>Combusting trees
>>
>>1079730
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-07-eucalyptus-deadly-portugal-forest.html

>Eucalyptus is Portugal's most widespread forest plant, according to the country's Institute for Nature Conservation and Forests.

Just add lightning or a pre-existing fires and eucalyptus combusts sometimes violently enough exploding and spreading the fire.

So, yes, go fuck yourself, you fat useless sack of yankee dankee doodle shite.
>>
>>1079767
I understood that reference.
>>
>>1079793
Good, anon. He is a master of insults and a true scholar.

Anyway, as stupid as it is, Portugal really has a lot of eucalyptus for their paper industry. One would think that the risks of ubiquitous eucalyptus in a hot, dry climate would weigh more than they did, but, apparently, this was not the case. Good old case of "what could possibly go wrong".
>>
>>1079509
Yea man, I really need to practice, but it's extremely difficult for me to understand math.

Forestry is a field that I have as a consideration.
>>
>>1080016
Try Khan Academy and start with the basics. Math is just a language, basically. All the funny symbols are shorthand ways of saying things. + = add stuff together, - = subtract and so on.

Make it more concrete and count dry peas or something.
>>
>>1080254
I mean I can do the basic stuff, but nothing more.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.