[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these things a fucking meme or can you actually cut something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: cutting-tool-wire-saw.jpg (93KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
cutting-tool-wire-saw.jpg
93KB, 960x960px
Are these things a fucking meme or can you actually cut something thicker than a twig with it?
>>
>>1068488
I have one but haven't found much use for it. The trick is not to bend it, hold it as taught as possible like a hacksaw blade.

Also useful as a hobo garrote
>>
>>1068488
Yes they do work, but they're not ideal. It's just a space saving emergency tool really, i.e. it'll work in a pickle but you wouldn't use it by choice.
>>
Never tried one but the idea of not having a free hand to steady what I'm cutting sounds bad. Might be better off getting a folding saw, like a silly or something
>>
>>1068515
if you cut 2 notches into the ends of a green stick slightly longer than the length of the saw, you can make a pretty decent hacksaw
>>
>>1068488
As a serial killer I can confirm these decapitate easily
>>
The "commando" ones are quite useful. Just make a bucksaw or bow saw otherwise it'll break really easily.
>>
>>1068488
They're a fucking meme. Just bring a proper tool.
>>
>>1068488
The wire saws suck, flimsy as I had a ring fall off and the wire dulled quickly.
However I had a model that replicated a chainsaw chain and it worked amazing, I extended the hand holds with rope and I could sit comfortably and use it.
>>
>>1069633
This
I had one of these once. Maybe a different brand or something, but same concept.
The thing was great. Not quite as effective as a really good normal saw, but it fits in a pocket and will cut through anything you can wrap it around.

I used it to cut branches off trees dozens of feet up by tying one end to some fishing line, firing it over the branch with a bow and arrow, then pulling up some thicker rope with the saw tied in the middle. Worked ridiculously well.
And the thing fits in a pocket. No complaints, although there are probably a lot of shitty versions floating around. Mine floated away down a river a while ago and I haven't replaced it yet.
>>
>>1068490
>The trick is not to bend it,
And that is surprsingly hard.
Had one a while ago, and upon the first or second time packing it away, I got a kink in it, rendering it useless. I just use a swiss army knife.

But I guess if you have to cut larger stuff and need be lightweight and can treat it like a glass doll, it seems like a nice option.
>>
>>1068488
If you want something handy and actually cuts, Just get a Katanaboy. https://youtu.be/jfvAl63iZBs
>>
>>1069557
This. Sven saws are beast and are quite compact, albeit not as lightweight
>>
>>1068488
They're an emergency tool, they'll cut wood for making a basic fire and shelter but you're not building a house or a huge bonfire with it.
>>
>>1068488
They can be used but even the instructions for them are incorrect. I suspect it is so it works for a bit then you need to buy a new one.

1: Storage Coil it, don't fold it. Never coil it smaller than a 3 inch loop. It is best to wrap it around something (water bottle, thermos, etc) and to coil it and put it into a container.
2: Always keep it flat and tight, perpendicular across the log/branch you are cutting. Don't U-shape it when cutting.
3: Cut very slowly. These things heat up super fast. When they heat up they break. Cutting fast will heat it up and break it.
4: You can't sharpen these. they have a limited amount of cuts they can perform before they are rendered useless for cutting. You can use them as snare material when they are smoothed from cutting too much.
5: Never use it as your primary cutting tool. Use this as a last resort backup tool.
>>
>>1068490
>Also useful as a hobo garrote
i can confirm this.

;)
>>
>>1069633
>>1069661

Seconding these Anons. The wire ones are shit, but the ones made from a piece of chainsaw chain actually do work - though not as well as a good regular saw.
Pack up a hell of a lot smaller, tho.
They're okay for emergencies, but an axe or even a good hatchet would work better and let you cut through larger limbs / trees.
Good fucking luck cutting that deadfall out of the road with any of these - but an axe will do it.
Hell, so will a hatchet, if you're patient.
>>
>>1068488

These are much better.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with a corona, bahco or silky folding saw. Those wire saws are a meme
>>
File: IMG_3245.jpg (481KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3245.jpg
481KB, 1920x1080px
I fucking love this thing
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.