[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have decided after trying a bunch of different sharpeners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: AC46.jpg (16KB, 785x402px) Image search: [Google]
AC46.jpg
16KB, 785x402px
So I have decided after trying a bunch of different sharpeners or the last couple years that I really like using a ceramic rod and a leather strop the most for maintaining my blades. My only rod is the one that came with my worksharp gss and it is a little short for use on bigger knifes and it is way to short to use on machetes. I want to get on that is about 8 inches long, amazon has a several that I have been looking at. The one I am liking the most is the 8 1/2 inch bare white rod by Arkansas sharpeners, unfortunately it seems they don't have a website and there is no clear information on the grit ratings for their rods ( outside of speculation from other buyers)...it seems the only rods that have actually grit specs are the 30+ dollar ones. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or info they could share.
>>
The triangle stones that come with the Sharpmaker are good.

I've also heard of people using rods made from "pyrex".
I forget the name of the material but it's what they make Pyrex out of.

DMT or EZE LAP make diamond coated sharpening steels in fine grits.
Might be a good alternative.
>>
>>1068118
just spend the money you dweeb
>>
File: eze.jpg (4KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
eze.jpg
4KB, 300x170px
>>1068125
I actually have an eze lap pocket diamond rod, thats around 600 grit. I was actually wanting to get the ceramic rod to use in conjunction with it, since most are saying the white ceramic is normally 1000-1200 grit, black ceramic is listed at 2000-2200 grit...but that is a little overkill for me.

>>1068142
That's why I am asking, I don't really wanna spend 40 bucks if the 4 dollar rod does the same thing...especially since ceramic is pretty easy to break and I'll be using it mostly outside. I wouldn't have any issue spending a little more if it was going to stay in my knife block in the kitchen.
>>
>>1068118

I actually have the jumbo ceramic rod from them, it's pretty good for the price (a few rough flecks here and there that you can scrap off easily), so I'd assume the regular size one is similar. Grit-wise, I'd reckon it's about on finer with my soft and hard Arkansas stones but rougher than the black, so around 1000+.
>>
>>1068285
Thanks for the info pal. Are you referring to the superstick that is 1in in diameter? That was one of the others I was thinking about, but there was some reviews claiming it had some rough patches and to stick with the smaller diameter rods. If it smooths out pretty easily, I might have to reconsider that one.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.