[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #101

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 98

File: 101.jpg (40KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
101.jpg
40KB, 512x512px
Old thread: >>1062604

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

https://pastebin.com/4CqXsHFm

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
>>1067815
More pics are needed for identification.

>>1067834
Homegrowmen related?
>>
File: 1493158085726.jpg (67KB, 500x525px) Image search: [Google]
1493158085726.jpg
67KB, 500x525px
>>
>>1067982
You know, after actually reading the thread, it's very different from the title implied.
>>
>finally got a lavender seed to germinate
>seedling accidentally gets snapped

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>1067991
I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
Any tips for growing fruit trees (apple, pear) from seed? I tried the moist paper towel in a bag method to get the seeds to germinate but to no avail. The most I have done is transplant Silver Maple saplings into larger containers and then transplant after 1-2 years.
>>
File: lavendel.jpg (2MB, 1200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
lavendel.jpg
2MB, 1200x2400px
>>1067991
Ouch, I feel you.
Last year I had 6 or so germinate of dozens of seeds after weeks (also tried cuttings several times but never worked), then out of those only 2 survived the next couple weeks while growing extremely slowly so I planted them out, but I accidentally killed one when weeding

Here's the one survivor last year...
>>
File: 2017-07-17_00-51-06.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-17_00-51-06.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>1068004
... and this year, it finally flowered
>>
>>1067995
"Cold stratification" for apple and pear seeds. Keep in mind that you'll need more than one cultivar for those in order for them to bear fruit properly.

>>1067982
>>1067983
Yeah, that's pretty retarded reasons for doing it and not remotely new. It is called "Guerrilla Gardening" with "Seed Bombs".
>>
>>1067867
Tomatoes and hot peppers are flourishing now after a slow start, planted too early and stunted them with a late spring freeze.
>>
>>1068004
>>1068006
That sure was an inspiring story. Congrats on having a strong survivor there.
>>
>>1067877
Grow well, little pepper!
>>
Anyone have any experience with big beefsteak tomato growing? I'm planning on doing these babies next season.

http://www.seedsavers.org/kelloggs-breakfast-organic-tomato
>>
>>1068093
Use good compost and make sure watering is always even. No dry days then suddenly lots of water. That will split them like no body's business.
>>
>>1068093
I don't particularly care for the tomatoes themselves but they seem to grow well in a variety of soils as long as they have full sun and plenty of water. I'd advise heavily mulching around them.
>>
>>1068163
How much should I water per water?
>>
>>1067877
>>
>>1068190
"Even watering" just means you don't let it go dry then water it heavily. The amount of water per tomato plant can be as much as 1 gallon of water a day, but that would be a full plant and depend on weather and soil type. Just stick your finger, in the soil all the way, and see if it feels damp and cool, but not dry hard/dusty or muddy/spongy. If mold/algae grows on the soil, it is probably too wet for too long. If the water beads up on the surface of the soil without soaking in, the soil cracks, or the soil pulls away from the sides of a container for potted plants then there's not enough water.
>>
Off topic-ish, but I would like to mention that Monsanto was one of the companies that produced Agent Orange, that my grandfather, who is dead, was exposed to, I don't trust them because of that, setting aside any arguments about the safety/usefulness of their products.
>>
>>1068093
They be delicious
>>
>>1068264
Same, only it was my uncle. His team or whatever got hit with it and he always had scars from it all over his back and upper arms. That in itself doesn't matter too much. What does matter is all their terrible activity in agriculture.
>>
>>1068334
Why do you hate seeds?
>>
Does apple cross pollination ruin heirloom seeds? If so, how do I maintain heirloom apples?
>>
>>1068379
>how do I maintain heirloom apples?
Make sure you get it declared in writing, with the aid of a lawyer, a will which details who will take care of your precious heirloom apples.
>>
what are some good blogs/resources on gardening that aren't written for soccer moms?
>>
>>1067706
The one that died had all its old leaves fall off, however the new ones were healthy, but i forgot to water it for 3 days and it got really bad, i could still save it but i was like fuck it i already have 5 bishop crown peppers growing and they're all healthy.
The other one is alive and well, it has like 50-60 flowers on it
>>
>>1068406
Also bumping for a response.
>>
>>1068339
I keep honey bees. Their decline has to be blamed on something, like Performance Series sweetcorn. When my neighbor started planting fields of that shit all the hives started declining, spring swarms disappeared, and I nearly lost everything. When he stopped planting corn and switched to horses-only pasturing, all the remaining hives recovered and spring swarms from elsewhere returned. That was the only known change in the area at the time. Oh, and during that time of decline, I couldn't eat the honey because it caused an allergic reaction. Just touching it to my tongue caused my throat to swell and insides of my ears to itch like mad. Whether or not the corn caused it or something else sprayed on the corn caused it (it is bT corn that is roundup ready & the seed also came with a systemic pesticide-germination coating,) but everything correlated to that known event.

>>1068406
Mother Earth News has some good stuff. They are also a gateway to lots of other publications. All the online stuff is blog-based. You can even write an article and there's a chance they'll put it up if it is good and factual.
>>
>>1068399
But what if the apples are part of a trust, does that make things more complex?
>>
A much more experienced farmer than I told me that making shitty soil can be made into great soil by using cover crops.
My friend's garden lot is meh and has only ever been a lawn (for about five years when it was put in).
TELL ME IF I AM WRONG: Growing two or three crops of barley or buckwheat and literally just turning them into the soil will improve the quality of his 8x20 garden so that he has better yields in the future, and he only needs less than a pound of seed to properly seed all of that plot.
QUESTION: How do you do the turning into the soil part? Do you kill it first with a tarp over it?
>>
>>1068406
Your local state's land grant (Aggie) college has all you need.
>>
>>1068474
Your honey bees died because of viral/parasitic infections/infestations.
>>
>>1067995
Growing apples from seed yields inedible apples. Their genome is too slippery.
>>
>>1068474

>I keep honey bees. Their decline has to be blamed on something

Is that why you chose the leftist bogeymen of Monsanto? Why not CCD or global warming or plastic bags or the ozone hole or Alar, are those out of style or before your time?
>>
File: thanksgiving leftovers.jpg (2MB, 2411x2527px) Image search: [Google]
thanksgiving leftovers.jpg
2MB, 2411x2527px
>>1068501
To my understanding you're not wrong; you'd take the cover crops, break them down a bit (shears or just brute force), mix them well into the soil, THEN tarp it to trap the heat and cook any bad disease/bugs/bacteria in the soil. The last part might not be necessary, but goodness knows the heat will help break down the plant material.

I've been solarizing my beds for the first time, since both are full of root knot nematodes. The closer bed in my pic was my first ever garden, and just tilling in marigolds and growing brassicas/resistant tomato varieties has reduced the RNN dramatically. I'm hoping this will finish the job.

The red box had BAD RNN my first year, which sucked because I really thought I had been careful about not introducing it to the new soil. There were also tree roots coming up into it, which may have been a carrier for the "pathogen".

There's hardware cloth and weed cloth at the bottom now, with one round of marigold tilling with solarizing, I hope to cut the population by at least half. I'll do the same brassica/resistant tom technique I used for "the pile" and hope for the best.

I get to pull the plastic off August 1st for the red box and September 1st for the round pile. I can't wait. The soil is literally 120+ degrees on a sunny day, so I'm hopeful.
>>
>>1068520
>Whether or not the corn caused it or something else sprayed on the corn caused it (it is bT corn that is roundup ready & the seed also came with a systemic pesticide-germination coating,) but everything correlated to that known event.

That pretty much made your entire post worthless, shill.

>>1068503
That's how CCD works. A healthy hive is able to withstand those problems or not get them at all. When CCD starts they are unable to cope and start getting parasites and diseases. They can't even clean themselves properly when affected. It is like the difference between a driver and a drunk driver. One does fine and the other has "problems" which can lead to a crash.
>>
>>1068505
>Growing apples from seed yields inedible apples.

Tell that to all the trees I get my apples from. Also, do you not know how new cultivars of apples are created? What you get from seed isn't what the original fruit was, but it is certainly edible. The only times the apples are not palatable right off the tree is when the wrong cultivar is living in the wrong region where it can not become ripe before falling off the tree (bad weather and cold snaps). Then you just end up with sour unripe apples that only the deer are eating off the ground. even crabapples are edible when ripe. Though, you really need to know what the apple is good for when you pick them. Some are best for cooking in pies, saucing, buttering, drying and/or eating straight from the tree. Use the wrong one for the wrong method and it will either be unpalatable or a disappointment like apple pie that's supper watery or a Granny Smith you can bare to bite into.

I've never met an apple I couldn't use.
>>
>>1068520
Pesticides, especially neonicotinoid pesticides, are what helps trigger CCD. Also, last year Monsanto created a GMO bee that is resistant to neonicotinoid pesticides.

>>1068379
You can't get "heirloom" apple seeds. Apple trees must be cross pollinated with another cultivar of apple in order to properly pollinate. When you plant apple trees, you always need to have 2 or more cultivars. To maintain a line of apple, you must propagate them using cuttings and a good root stock.

>>1068501
Some types of plants are "nitrogen fixers" They take atmospheric nitrogen and store it in root nodules. One such plant is Red Clover; which is widely used as a cover crop. Cover crops can also help add carbon to really bad soil. When you cut the cover crop and till it in you are essentially adding compost to the soil. As for the methods and plant types, you should google it up. There's a massive wealth of info for a variety of gardening/farming styles.
>>
so, Im just starting to get serious about gardening and it will lead into farming for my profession. The first plot i want to farm looks pretty great. there is one small tree in the plot though, about 6-7 inches wide. i think it may be an oak tree. should i remove it, or let it be?
>>
>>1068574
Is it in the way? Can you not incorporate it into the garden or farm design? They don't seem to be a problem for plants, per se, not like walnuts trees are. It'll give shade. You need to decide if that is a good or bad thing. Also, are you planning on using that area for farming forever? You may want to change it to something else and want a tree.
>>
>>1068579
>>1068579
yeah, i was just wondering if it'll be a hinderance to my plants growing, plan on doing mostly salad greens, Ill probably end up removing it after the first year
>>
>>1068583
The shade will most likely help greens not bolt as easily.
>>
>>1068583
Seconding that the shade will help the salad greens. I normally plant greens behind taller plants to give them shade.
>>
Is there any way to tell whether compost is done besides looking dark and soil-like?
For that matter, is there any risk in planting with not-done compost as long as it's only got produce in it?
>>
>>1068765
If you can't tell what it used to be and it is "dark and soil-like" then it is done.

>risks

Disease pathogens and vector arthropods
Root burn
Temperature burn (very new compost only)
>>
been keeping a balcony garden here in Calgary, the crazy windstorms keep raping my poor plants, it's survival of the fittest out there

I tried a few different methods, fabric pots, rubbermaid totes, normal planters and they all seem to work...

haven't had any luck with root vegetables (carrots and radishes), the roots don't mature just the greens
>>
>>1068801
>wind

Use wind blockers. Like mesh/screen.

>green tops but no tubers/roots

Too much nitrogen maybe? Also, for carrots and radishes, cooler weather is better.
>>
I live in a very hot area, it's been 100-105F for weeks. Is it possible to grow in 3 or 5 gallon black pots or will the absorbed hear from the black pots damage the roots?
>>
>>1068571
New (commercial) apple cultivars are not coming about every time you plant seeds. Yes, you can get edible ones, but no, not all of them are good.
I thought crabapples were just apples that you planted yourself with no control over its environment?
>>
>>1068884
The problem isn't with the apple, it is with people's expectations. Too many people have this wonderful store apple and want a tree from it. So they plant the seeds. They don't know about cross-pollination. They don't know about grafted root stocks. They end up with a really slow-growing tree that gives them "disappointing" apples 15 years later. Because it is literally a different hybrid cultivar from what they bought, which may only be good for pies or applesauce instead of eating off the tree. Or, they don't store well and are not a winter apple for winter storage. Then they bad mouth trying to grow seeds from store apples. If the orchard used crabapples, as the cross cultivar then the result may be even further from their expectations.

Now, the problem with the term "crabapple" is that it is terribly colloquial. Everything falls under "malus" genus. Malus pumila is the "orchard apple" that everyone is familiar with. Everything that isn't Malus pumila is considered a "crabapples" or "wild apple." That does not include "apple tree that went wild" from a dropped seed near the road or abandoned trees where a farm once stood. There are something like 2 dozen different crabapple species. Some have smaller orchard-apple-looking apples. Some have micro-apples. Some have cherry-looking-apples. I have the cherry type in my orchard for helping with cross pollination (they taste like fruit roll ups when dried).

Now, the colloquial aspect of the term "crabapple" comes from people not knowing what a crabapple is. Thus, they call anything not in an orchard a crabapple and wrongly think that any apple grown from seed in the wild as you state.

Homegrownmen has had this conversation only about 10 times now, fyi. I know all this stuff because I have an apple orchard. I grow some from seed. I graft some cuttings from time to time. This year is a bumper crop. Good thing too. The last bumper crop was 4 years ago and I'm almost running out of applesauce form then..
>>
File: mpc-hc 2017-07-26 19-34-14-48.jpg (798KB, 2560x956px) Image search: [Google]
mpc-hc 2017-07-26 19-34-14-48.jpg
798KB, 2560x956px
Sorry for this shitty photos. I'm forced to use my ancient netbook camera until I get something better (a month or so from now probably.)

But, check out this purple majesty potato I dug up today. I was digging using only my hands. When I hit it I thought I'd hit a rock. Most potatoes give a bit in the soil, but this monster was anchored really well. The longer part is was pointing up at a 45 degree angle in the soil. It was like excavating an alien artifact.

>>1068839
Paint the pots white. Use shade cloths for the plants that need it (tomatoes).
>>
File: Fuck Everything.webm (2MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Everything.webm
2MB, 400x224px
>tfw still installing fence skirting and groundhogs are tearing it up behind me

Lost 2 more chickens and a turkey tonight. Death toll is up to 15 now. That's half of everything now.
>>
File: someofthatstickyickyicky.jpg (249KB, 616x503px) Image search: [Google]
someofthatstickyickyicky.jpg
249KB, 616x503px
Wish I knew you could plant suckers, stuck these guys in some dirt and after a few days they're coming back.

>>1067096
>you can propagate them easily using cuttings when you shape them
go on
>>
>>1068942
>go on
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/propagate-blueberries-cuttings-38707.html

It is nearly as easy as those tomato cuttings.
>>
File: hoophouse1[1].jpg (173KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
hoophouse1[1].jpg
173KB, 800x600px
>>1068501
Growing cover crops is a huge help and in ground vermiculture can help a lot as well.
Certain types of brassica relatives have strong taproots that can break clay soil, most legumes can help the soil with nitrogen and organic matter when slashed and incorporated (although fava/broad bean and cowpea are considered the better legumes.)
Some plants have a natural bio-fumigant and will control nematodes really well, these include mustard greens, rapeseed, cowpea and BQ mulch and are all effective.

My strategy for poor soil would be to grow the BQ mulch as a cover crop in winter along with fava bean for organic matter and for the warm seasongrow cowpea and buckwheat and maybe even some millet for extra organic matter if needed.
For slashing, just chop them to ground level before they flower or seed with a line trimmer or clippers and till them into the soil. Solarising can be good, but I'd tend towards a black plastic to keep light out and encourage more heat and worm activity.

>>1068571
>>1068573
I'm looking for fruit trees next winter and apples and pears are on the list along with some stone fruit and possibly quince or fig, what's a good strategy for them?
I figure that a double graft tree in an espalier is what I'll go for, for both safety and convenience the pear and apple are apparently both poor pollinators and if I buy 2 separate trees and one dies I'm screwed since noone around me grows these fruits to my knowledge.

>>1068801
I'd go with greenhouse plastic (slightly opaque) in a stout frame to block out the worst of the wind in the cooler months and diffuse the sun in the hotter months.
Following this thinking, it might even be worth going full greenhouse or something like pic related but more taut and strong.

>>1068839
depends on what you're growing in the buckets desu, I've had beans die in the summer because buckets got too hot and the roots cooked.
Unless you know the plant thrives with warm roots, put some shadecloth in front of the buckets.
>>
>>1068006

did you press A to pick up Lavender?
>>
File: Photo0900.jpg (1012KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0900.jpg
1012KB, 1600x1200px
is it detrimental for my potatoes if I let weed prosper between the rows? The potatoes are done btw I'm just digging up some from time to time based on my needs
>>
>>1069131
It is fine. The potatoes are thickening their skins right now and there's nothing that can really harm. If you were to get tons of rain and have tons of weeds over the potatoes rot could occur, but I doubt that would happen in that location. If the weather is warm then about a month after the tops die more plants will pop up.

>>1069022
>trees

Get 4 pear trees and 4 apple trees. Then you will have plenty of backups and can have each tree a different cultivar for proper pollination.
>>
>>1069022
Guy talking about the gardening here.
I live in northeastern Utah. How do I grow anything in winter?
>>
File: IMG_20170727_133226.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_133226.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>
File: IMG_20170727_134201.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_134201.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>
File: IMG_20170727_134527.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_134527.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>
File: IMG_20170727_134916.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_134916.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>
File: IMG_20170727_135403.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_135403.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>
File: IMG_4819.jpg (99KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4819.jpg
99KB, 640x427px
>>1069168
Greenhouses. You'll need lots of thermal mass in it (black-painted water barrels are best and you can top them to use as tables). You'll need to use those big rolls of bubble wrap to cover the greenhouse because a single glazing won't work. You may need 3 layers of protection. You can use a few different heating systems together. Passive solar that brings in hot air from a solar box, hot compost/manure bins that heat up as they decompose, and traditional heating for your area. You need to let in fresh air regardless of what you do and have a fan to move air around inside the greenhouse. You can do all this in a polytunnel, but working with a polytunnel in snow isn't all that fun.

Where I live, it gets to -15F at night a lot of times in the winter. The worst winter in my memory was -42F.

>>1069184 - >>1069200
You should grow tomatillos so you can make fresh salsa. They grow like weeds and volunteer like mad.
>>
File: 15011677201071208327589.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
15011677201071208327589.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
What's wrong with my tomato leaves.

The fruit and stem look fine.
>>
>>1069222
>You should grow tomatillos so you can make fresh salsa. They grow like weeds and volunteer like mad.
I want to grow so much, but I have very limited space ;_; What stuff grows ok outside in zone 8 (Belgium)? This year was a whim, but I really enjoy it, I want to do more next year, but I can't make my whole balcony into a greenhouse.
>>
>>1069244
>very limited space

Anon....I can see tons of space everywhere in those photos above. My biggest problem is the lack of good soil, but I make enough new soil per year to add another 65 square feet of bed space.

>>1069241
The round holes look like the holes that Tortoise beetles (Cassidinae) make. They come in all manner of neat colors. How high up on the plant was the yellow leaf?
>>
File: Copy_of_Tortoise_beetle1.jpg (266KB, 734x549px) Image search: [Google]
Copy_of_Tortoise_beetle1.jpg
266KB, 734x549px
>>1069247
Forgot pic
>>
>>1069247

We dont have those beetles here and I havnt seen any critters on them at all.

I suspect it is tomato blight.
>>
>>1069251
I think you probably have them, they are just radically different looking from >>1069248 A lot of insects come out at night to do their thing.
>>
File: IMG_20170727_172154.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_172154.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1069247
>I can see tons of space everywhere in those photos above
Everything is relative. But yes, I can do some stuff, but not in the way I'd like. Like a proper greenhouse. Oh well.
>my frankenstein project
Wanted to fuse 2 peppers together, had a cap1166 and bhut left over, only to find out they are a difference species and therefore won't be able to fuse properly. So I just kept em outside nonstop, no greenhouse space left for it anyway, and this is how it looks at the moment. The cap's fruit is further ahead as the one in my greenhouse, same for the plant I gave to my mom that is also being kept outside (but it's also smaller than mine), so I assume temperature has something to do with it.
>>
>>1069270

Unrelated but Belgium is a great tourist spot. Apart from the beer/chocolate, there is loads of great architecture.
>>
>>1069287
>great architecture
As another Belgian: where are you finding that great architecture? Save for some old huge buildings (and a few modern ones), most everywhere is filled with very ugly houses. In fact, there's a website dedicated to all those houses:
http://uglybelgianhouses.tumblr.com/
We even have a specific word, 'koterij', which means the ugly attachment after attachment after attachment people tend to add to their homes. Plenty of examples on the linked site.

(And don't forget fries/chips are Belgian, too.)
>>
>>1067877
>>
If I water my mint a lot then it gets STDs, if I water them a little then they get spider mites. Is gardening just a meme?
>>
>>1069402
For the spider mites, spray the underside of the leaves instead of watering
>>
>>1069424
Okay, I'll try that. Our hose nozzle is broken, do you think if I used a spray bottle of water it would be good enough?
>>
>>1069440
Yeah, it's perfect for that
>>
File: AlmeriaGreenhouses 0.jpg (635KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
AlmeriaGreenhouses 0.jpg
635KB, 1000x600px
I stumbled on this in /sci/,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIpgnxtTpE

Tons and tons of family owned greenhouses.
>>
File: 1501188232054.jpg (44KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
1501188232054.jpg
44KB, 500x312px
>>1069527
Space view
>>
File: roses.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
roses.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
got this old rosebush in my backyard and I'd like to try and bring it back to life a bit.

How much should I cut back on it? Was thinking of cutting off the entire upper branch past that 2nd green stalk and then cutting the stump on the left.
>>
>>1069533
Cut all the obviously dead stuff off. Leave everything that is living, don't cut it now. Give it some compost tea/manure tea/fertilizer which ever you prefer. Does winter have freezing temps? Pile 6 inches of straw over it in the winter. In the spring, before anything comes up or buds out, do all your cutting then.

If you are unsure if something is dead or not, you can gently bend the tip. If it is pliable it is living, if it snaps, it is dead. You can gently nudge some bark back with your thumbnail. If it is green under it then it is living, if it is brown or grey then it is dead.
>>
>>1069536
Winter does get to freezing, zone 7. So would you recommend a top down pruning of the whole mess of branches from the top to only get rid of dead branches?
>>
>>1069538
Just trim dead stuff, nothing else. You really don't even need to do that until spring though.
>>
File: IMG_20170727_174648.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_174648.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
Since I keep having mint problems I want to ask if this is a bad setup for my mint plant
>>
>>1069582
It's set deep into the container and probably gets limited sun as a result. Fill the container up with a good soil mix that holds water so the plant is up at the top and things may improve.
>>
>>1069584
Okay, I'll try it. I think it was a wikihow article that said to fill the pot up 1/3 of the way (this is more like 3/8 of the way.

If I raise it up I can probably spray the plant more often with less risk of fungus / bacteria infection right?
>>
>>1069586
>cowp
By spray the plant, do you mean watering? If so, avoiding spraying the plant itself and watering the soil itself will help a lot. Having the soil level much higher will allow air to circulate and make algae and fungal crust on the soil much less likely. It might be worth putting a bit of mulch on the soil as well to stop the sun drying the soil out too much in hot weather, just don't crowd it around the stem of the plant or you could cause stem rot problems from moisture being trapped against the plant.
>>
>>1069590
I mean spraying the underside of the mint when I see spider mites
>>
>>1069591
with water*

And I've raised the soil level, hopefully the mint does better.
>>
>>1069582
>>1069586
I was the one advising you to spray the leaves, though I thought you were having a "normal" pot.
>>1069584 advice is good, it's difficult to do anything with a plant that deep. I didn't read the wikihow about mint but mint does totally fine in light or half shade (unless you live in a very hot climate), and letting it in such a depth will only lead to problems.
How's the bottom, does it have a drainage hole?

Also, looking at it, it doesn't seem to have spider mites, are you sure you saw them? By example Phytosieulus persimilis looks like spider mites but is much bigger, and it's actually a predator of spider mites.
Spider mites usually look like tiny red dots, don't move much, give leaves a grey color and entangle branches' ends in web.
>>
>>1069619

>How's the bottom, does it have a drainage hole?
I drilled five drainage holes on the bottom because it didn't have any originally. I've raised the soil level a bit

>Also, looking at it, it doesn't seem to have spider mites, are you sure you saw them?
Under a leaf I picked, I saw red dots about a mm across moving around quite a bit, along with stationary white dots maybe 0.5mm (eggs?) and some white mite-looking things a little bit smaller than the red ones. I found a lower part of the plant where there was webbing in between a couple of stems, in addition to some webbing that was on the leaf I saw mites on.

Maybe the big reds were predatory mites? Or picking the leaf startled the mites and they started moving around. I already sprayed the underside of the leaves.
>>
>>1069623
By already sprayed I mean after I saw the mites, not before
>>
File: images(3).jpg (12KB, 278x182px) Image search: [Google]
images(3).jpg
12KB, 278x182px
>>1067867
Who /brusselssprouts/ here? I've been really enjoying eating the leaves as I trim them. They're like collards, but tastier
>>
File: IMG_20170727_192258.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_192258.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>1069623
By the way this is what the pot looks like now
>>
>>1069586
Yeah, such high walls allows for high humidity and low drainage column. When I didn't have enough good soil and needed to raise up plants like you need, I used empty water bottles/soda bottles and put the soil on top of them. It aided drainage and lifted the plants until I got more good soil.
>>
>>1069626
That's better

If you can take a picture of what you think to be mite, that may be helpful. It's hard to tell without seeing. The webbing should be very fine/dense when it's mites. Also if the web is almost above the soil, that's more likely "real" spiders.
The reason I'm a little sceptical about mites is because usually when you have a plant outside, there's a lot of predators around. Plus, the way your plant was "surrounded" and watered makes me doubt about a dry atmosphere around it (which mites need). What you describe may be mites, but it could also be aphids, once again it's hard for me to tell without seeing.

About the spraying, I forgot to tell you it isn't a one spray job, it's more about keeping a good humidity rate everyday.
>>
>>1069658
I threw away the leaf with webbing, and the water already washed away the web between the stems, but I will take a picture if I see it again.
>>
>>1069625
I have them in a row this winter!
No sprouts yet, the plants got hammered by cabbage moths pretty hard but hopefully I'll see some soon before it gets too hot.

They're great blanched and then tossed with butter and herbs like tarragon and thyme.
>>
What concentration copper sulfate should I use in a foliar spray for fungicidal purposes?
>>
>>1069755
I wouldn't use anything heavy metal based desu, as it will stay in the ground
>>
>>1069757
Not him, but I've read that plants don't tend to uptake copper, hence its use in modern treated wood which is purportedly garden-safe.
>>
>>1069712
>>1069625
Next year I'll have a frame built for brassica plants, covered with insect cloth to keep those fucking moths out. *shakes fist in air*

>>1069755
What plants are you having trouble with? It is better to adjust their environment to lower the problem than to use sprays. Those are a last resort. They can also cause problems in the soil with mycorrhizae.
>>
>>1067877

Indoor Chilli Brit Anon here. I'll be going up to the Edinburgh fringe festival for a month so I'm not going to be home to care for my plants. I've just pollinated the chilli as it's started to flower, if I give it a good soaking and put some water in the drainage to be slowly absorbed do you think it'll survive? How good are chillis at not being watered for a while?
>>
>>1069812
>month

You need something similar to this, but with a larger container for water. Even if it runs out, it only be for a short time before you come back.
>>
>>1069841
Ah that's a good idea, hadn't considered wicking. Thanks!
>>
File: IMG_20170728_133209.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_133209.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
mint problems anon here again, here are some mite pictures. I couldn't get the camera to focus right but from what I saw I am pretty sure it's spider mites. It's a bit blurry but you can see webbing too.
>>
File: IMG_20170728_133231.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_133231.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>1069986
I've applied water again to the bottoms of the leaves.
>>
File: IMG_20170728_133346.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_133346.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>1069988
These are all pictures of the same leaf by the way
>>
File: IMG_20170728_133636.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_133636.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>1069989
For reference this is how dry the plant looked before I watered just now. I might reapply water when it gets cooler out because it might just evaporate.
>>
>>1069986
>>1069991
hi again,
Your plant generally looks quite healthy and I guess it will grow quite well now that it gets some more light and air. Mint usually doesn't need any care to survive.
That may indeed be spider mites, it looks like it from... far away. Though, the leaf seemed rather healthy for the moment. Does it have a greyish colour on the upside?
If you have a macro mode on your camera, you might get better pictures of close objects. If possible with a thing for scale, a coin or a pen by example. That would be easier to not confuse debris in a web and spider mites.

By the way, your plant didn't look very dried. I'm not sure I was clear about it, for spider mites it isn't so much a matter of how well hydrated the plant is (it just has to be normally watered), but how the nearby atmosphere is humid. Hence spraying the leaves once/twice a day (evening/morning) or more if needed : it's not to water the plant, but to maintain a humid atmosphere around it.
Your plant will need regular watering just as before, don't lose time trying to water it by the leaves. To know if you should water, stick a finger in the soil : if it's humid two knuckles down, don't water.
>>
>>1070055
Alright, thanks for the advice. I looked at the top side of the leaf and didn't see much discoloration, but when I looked at the underside they were obviously to me bugs (translucent red, round, some individuals crawling around slowly). The white ones I mentioned earlier were also present, but they are impossible to make out in the blurry photos I posted.

I'll try to take a better picture when I spray again in the evening.
>>
>>1069808
I hear ya, those little buggers are savage on young plants. next year I'm going the biological control route and growing a row of land cress to kill off the moths instead.
>>
File: tomatosad.jpg (31KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tomatosad.jpg
31KB, 400x300px
>>1069527
>ywn grow into a family-owned greenhouse focused on longevity and health
>>
File: naked.jpg (2MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
naked.jpg
2MB, 4640x3480px
Before (technically during?)
>>
File: space jam.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
space jam.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
After.

12 half pints + 1 pint of tomato jam.
>>
>>1070211
>>1070212
Sweet yield anon, are those roma tomatoes? How many plants did you have and how much weight did you get out of them?

I'll be growing a row of tomatoes this summer, 2 types i think.
>>
>>1070211
>>1070212
I think there's something like 76 quarts of canned tomatoes on my shelf right now. I keep several year's worth at any one time. This year, I'm going to try to render it down to sauce at the end of the growing season.
>>
>>1070337
>rest of my post disappeared

Meh, I'm not typing all that out again. tl;dr "High praise anon! I love seeing other people home canning stuff they've been growing!"
>>
>>1070242

Homegrown varieties including San Marzano, Big Beef, Homeslice, and Bush Champion. I didn't weigh them out because I'm not a big nerd.

I also threw in a ton of tomatoes that came in our CSA.

Had some on toast this morning, would recommend this recipe to anyone: http://www.food.com/recipe/canned-spiced-tomato-jam-323865

I wound up with 7.5 cups 'prepared tomatoes', so I had to do some scaling.
>>
>>1070384
>canned-spiced-tomato-jam

Thanks for linking the recipe. I've never heard of making jam from tomatoes. I've tried a few types of pepper jams though.
>>
>>1070402

I will note that I wanted my jam to be a little finer texture, so I ran the cooked prepared tomatoes through a ricer, and then added the pulp back to the juice.

It sounds like a goofy procedure to add the pulp back, but it makes it a lot less 'rustic'.

What kind of peppers are used for pepper jam? I have a ton of tobasco type peppers and am having trouble deciding between hot sauce and pepper jelly
>>
>>1070405
You can use any pepper for making jelly/jam. Your heat level tolerance is the only thing holding your back. There's a ton of online recipes too. I prefer it on toast.

Since it is "jam" it needs the pulp. If it was "jelly" you could get away with only using the juice. For the latter, an actual juicer would be perfect. Those grind it up with a super high speed grater and sling the juice out using a centripetal-force basket screen.

>deciding between hot sauce and pepper jelly

Why not both? The great thing about jelly/jam is that you can water bath canning a very small amount in a small tall pot.
>>
File: chips.jpg (3MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
chips.jpg
3MB, 4640x3480px
Yesterday was tomato jam, today is pickle chips.
>>
File: Photo0906.jpg (834KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0906.jpg
834KB, 1600x1200px
uma delicia
>>
File: picks.jpg (4MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
picks.jpg
4MB, 4640x3480px
>>1070432

I actually think a zucchini managed to sneak into this. Oops.

I tried packing them "fancy" but it kinda turned to shit. I also think I left them in the hot water bath too long, they got a little more cooked than I'd have liked.

I also pickled some CSA green beans because 1) I had a lot of leftover brine, and 2) They're pushing the limit on how long I wanted them in the fridge.
>>
>>1070509
>>1070432
>tfw impending pumpkin canning Armageddon soon

Probably sliced a bit thin?
>>
>>1070603

I used the largest setting on my mandolin. No way I was gonna chop all those by hand :^)
>>
>>1070606
I don't even own one. I'm afraid a retard will grab it up and slice off a knuckle. I just use a knife and long-tine fork.
>>
>>1067991
I just planted 30 a few days ago and hoping for the best.

Also, just getting into gardening and I take an academic approach. I ordered several books so far and was looking for other suggestions. I ordered
>the new sunset western garden book
>western garden book of edibles
>vegetable gardeners bible
>>
File: 81bpsE93vXL.jpg (281KB, 1700x1700px) Image search: [Google]
81bpsE93vXL.jpg
281KB, 1700x1700px
>>1070769
Yeah I know that peppers are a meme at this point, but this book is really great.
>>
File: IMG_20170730_093420.jpg (419KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_093420.jpg
419KB, 912x1600px
>>1067869
It rained for the past few days but I finally got a few more pictures.
>>
File: IMG_20170730_093424.jpg (412KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_093424.jpg
412KB, 912x1600px
>>1067869
>>
File: IMG_20170730_093337.jpg (505KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_093337.jpg
505KB, 912x1600px
>>1067869
And then there's this asshole
>>
File: IMG_20170730_093601.jpg (466KB, 1600x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_093601.jpg
466KB, 1600x912px
>>1067869
I think the gray guys are the babies and this fatass is the mother.
>>
>>1070933
Colorado potato beetle and larva
>>
File: IMG_20170730_112927.jpg (434KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_112927.jpg
434KB, 912x1600px
>>1067869
>>1070928
>>1070930
>>1070931
>>1070933
They look like Colorado Potato Beetles so I manually removed the beetles and the larvae and put them in a lidded container.

Relocate them or let them die?
>>
>>1070976
That's what I thought - thanks anon. What should I do with them? I don't want to kill them but I get the feeling that if I relocate them they'll be a problem for someone else.
>>
>>1070983
>>1070980
They are invasive in most places. Death to all Colorado potato beetles!!!
>>
i think the other plants moved in and stunted my corn. I was trying a kind of basic approach. have to till everything and keep them growing near it next time. pumpkin looks good.
>>
>>1071059
everything pollinated though, just like 16 corn n 10 pumpkins. And I got some corn, but it wasn't gang busters crop. using the tiller next time. pumpkin be up in a few weeks, about 2 out of 10 did well.
>>
First time growing hot peppers, Jalapeno plants are full of large peppers, but I tried one yesterday and it there was no heat, it was almost sweet.

wth?
>>
File: 1501441588955-561909456.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1501441588955-561909456.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Butterflies keep laying eggs on my arugula, and I'm getting tired of pulling eggs/day old caterpillars off the leaves. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1071140
Mesh netting.
>>
File: 1489458177170.jpg (75KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1489458177170.jpg
75KB, 640x640px
>see some tiny caterpillars on my fennel
>think butterflies might be nice, such tiny caterpillars can't possibly do much damage to the fennel anyway
>check back in a couple days
>caterpillars are the size of my fingers and a couple fennel plants are nearly bare of fronds
>>
I'm growing potted heirloom tomatoes next season, should I single, double, triple, or multi stem it?
>>
>>1071195
I know it's hard bruh, I'm fond of little critters too but if they predate your crops you have every right to fuck their shit up
>>
>>1071118
I hear a lot depends on growing conditions, and heat can differ a lot between plants and even individual peppers.
Also, letting it get dry to the point it droops its leaves between waterings is supposed to make it produce hotter peppers.
No personal experience tho, I'm a first time grower also.
>>
>>1071215
ahhh, I water my garden every evening.
>>
>>1071216
That does seem like a lot, I'm growing them in pots, and water every other day at most, on cloudy days the ones with small leaves go without water for 5 days sometimes.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-30-15-29-56.jpg (1MB, 1440x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-30-15-29-56.jpg
1MB, 1440x1366px
Why does my pomegranate have these black spots
>>
>>1071118
Humidity, good hot weather, and ripeness all play a role in how hot the peppers will be. Where I live, even banana peppers are a little hot due to the ultra high humidity and heat here. Not many people can eat my jalapeno peppers. I try to harvest them when they are red so they are even hotter.

>>1071197
That depends on the length of growing season, amount of space you have, ability to space out the stems so they get proper air/light, and what cultivar they are (indeterminate/determinate). There's no wrong way to do it, so long as you can keep up with them and give them what they need.

>>1071215
>>1071216
>>1071224
Holding off on watering usually increases the intensity of fruit/vegetable flavors a small amount. For some plants it triggers something that actually changes the flavor chemically while in others it merely reduces water content enough to change the flavor.
>>
>>1071280
Did those spots start as any other color? I see some white spots and yellow spots too. Those white ones look like insect damage or sun spot. I'm not sure what the black spots are. If they changed from yellow to black then they are probably bacteria/mold related. Check to see if the black spots can rub off.
>>
File: what.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Some of my peppers are getting these oddly shaped leaves
What up with that?
>>
>>1071118
As some other anons have said, environmental conditions play a role. The only bit I can add is this: the more water, the chilli are less hot. I'm not sure on why, so I always assume the water dilutes the chemical responsible for the hotness, but I'm sure a biologist would laugh at my explanation.

However, that's good enough.

The drier, the hotter.
>>
>>1071283
Thanks, how should I stake said container tomatoes?
>>
>>1071325
You don't need to, but it does help prevent lots of problems.

>>1071307
Check for pests like aphids and thrips. they can cause that on new leaves.
>>
I have a san pedro cutting that finally grew a bud about a week and a half ago... The problem is, I've found out that I may have to move it to another pot. Might it be safe to transplant it? I haven't even watered it yet because I'm not sure it has roots, but if it does I've heard that san pedros are susceptible to transplant shock
>>
File: Tomato Training1.jpg (231KB, 575x406px) Image search: [Google]
Tomato Training1.jpg
231KB, 575x406px
>>1071325
Maybe something like this?
>>
File: Tomato Training.jpg (29KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
Tomato Training.jpg
29KB, 600x200px
One of my cauliflower plants is bolting and I wouldn't mind saving seed from it, but am not sure about a couple of things:

1. Will the seeds be good genetically if it's only one plant bolting? I heard that having a row of 20 or so plants seeding ensures a good diversity and higher quality seed all around.

2. Will moving the plant out and into a pot stress it and help it to go to seed?
>>
Bastard worm/caterpillar got a pair of fat jalapenos. Can I expect a plant to produce more fruit at this time of the year if all it had was just those two fruits? It's been in the shade of tomato plants due to my tiny plot size, and even those tomatoes don't get great sun.

At least the fat tomatoes are ripening, and I finally got my father to explain he did indeed plant cherry tomatoes, and he prefers them because they fruit faster, and over a long period of time. Gonna do those again next year, but with a second plot
>>
>>1071472
http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C934

Having multiple plants is always better. Not just for backups in case of disease but for genetic diversity when saving the seed. This link should help you out quite a bit. Cauliflower can self-pollinate.

>>1071447
You can transplant anything without root shock if you take a large enough clump of soil around all the roots. Changes in things like light, temperature, and wind, for some plants, can also cause shock. Most plants it is root damage that causes the shock.

It most likely doesn't even have roots yet. Do what you need to do and don't worry about it.

>>1071518
A lot of times, smaller pepper plants will stop blooming if they have 1 or more fruit already set on them. That's why it is important to remove flower buds while they are still small. Removing the fruit should trigger it to form more flower buds in the next week or so.
>>
>>1071470
>>1071283

Do you have a picture of mature plants that shows your setup with

>proper spacing for air and light

Mine look a bit crowded
>>
File: IMG_20170731_082435.jpg (3MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170731_082435.jpg
3MB, 1944x2592px
>>1071588

Forgot my pic
>>
File: tomatoes.jpg (222KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
tomatoes.jpg
222KB, 1024x681px
>>1071588
Optimally it should look like this for spacing and air flow.
>>
>>1071341
I found some aphids on there. I'll see how the new leaves are after removing them
>>
File: mpc-hc 2017-07-31 10-46-34-81.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
mpc-hc 2017-07-31 10-46-34-81.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
UPDATE: Terrible Netbook Photos Edition

Out of 190 images, only 16 were even discernible. I didn't even change the resolution. Evidently, the camera in the netbook really hates full sun. Seems that when the sun goes behind a hill it takes "better" pics: >>1068898 I'll probably have a new dedicated camera by the end of this month. I already have $500 in loose change saved up.

All the vines are still growing, though their oldest leaves are dying and opening the area. The 1st crop of tomatoes are slowing down, but the next crop are just starting to ripen. All the brassica plants have been ripped out. This evening I'll be digging up more potatoes since the soil will be dryer now. I dug up a single volunteer potato hill yesterday and it had 7lbs of large, nicely-shaped, white potatoes (probably russet.) Tomatillos are producing so much I've not had time to harvest them.

The last of the yellow zucchini plants died during the last few days of torrential rains. I still have volunteer yellow crookneck decorative squash. I have more bags of dredged and frozen squash/zucchini than I know what to do with. I've been eating it every day now. I'm out of freezer space and I'll need to buy another upright freezer when I butcher the fowl. I'm still battling foxes. I've only been able to trap opossums and raccoons. So, I'll be switching to live bait using a small corral that only leads to a trap.

It is really nice having so much food from the farm that I haven't been to the store in over a month now. I'm well past the $5k mark on harvested stuff this year.
>>
>>1071676
Do you sell it or just eat it?
>>
>>1071720
Sell, trade, preserve, eat.
>>
pineapple question:

if I grow them outdoors for the summer and indoors for the fall/winter, will I seriously need six fucking feet of space just for them? how would I trim a pineapple so it doesn't crowd my space-inhibited house?
>>
>>1071783
If your climate is nice enough for growing pineapple year round then yes, you'll need that much space.

If you bring them in for the winter and keep them in a pot then they will be restricted to the size of the pot. The larger the pot the larger the plant. Use a smaller pot to reduce its size.
>>
File: pinepommes.jpg (255KB, 1000x652px) Image search: [Google]
pinepommes.jpg
255KB, 1000x652px
>>1071783
The leaves are huge razor-edged spears.They won't fill up much space until they're a year old, but after that they take up tons of space. Maybe in a pot they'd be smaller.

I have a few pineapples, but here are my best examples. The big one is about 2 years old and gets plenty of rain and little to no competition from weeds. Each leaf is almost 3 feet long.

The smaller one HAS a pineapple on it, but it's the budding baby off of the first pineapple I planted there. It's never been as big as the "mother" plant, but it gave me a pineapple in record time. It's also got shit tons of intentional and incidental soil mates.It's only 3 feet across in its entirety.

You could cut the leaf tips off I guess, but it doesn't look good.
>>
File: IMG_20170731_185511.jpg (1MB, 2448x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170731_185511.jpg
1MB, 2448x1836px
Just killed these for dinner. Dont worry, they went painlessly.
>>
File: 1443046473-0.jpg (100KB, 600x625px) Image search: [Google]
1443046473-0.jpg
100KB, 600x625px
>>1071837
Pretty good, you have to be a crack shot to get those little ones.
>>
File: Habanero Home.jpg (946KB, 5303x726px) Image search: [Google]
Habanero Home.jpg
946KB, 5303x726px
>>1066739
Stupid weather stunted any possible growth this week.
>>
File: Caterpillar Buffet.jpg (2MB, 6691x990px) Image search: [Google]
Caterpillar Buffet.jpg
2MB, 6691x990px
>>1071926
Does anybody know a good caterpillar deterrent?
>>
>>1071926
Same. Cold nights ahead too. Tomatoes are not ripening without heat.

>>1071927
Barrier netting/cloth or Bt spray.
>>
>>1071927
Wasps maybe?
BT might also work on them.
>>
>>1071932
I've been dealing with 105F and they don't ripen that way either
>>
Potatoes

-Early: Norland
-Mid: Yukon Gold
-Late: All Blue

Next season plans, any tips?
>>
>>1071927
wasps. I noticed a big ass one found refuge inside a snapped off rhubarb stem (the stem is still firmly rooted to the ground because it's just the leaf that has been removed on top so it's basically vertical). I don't know what diameter is that I'll have to check. At the time I saw the wasp it had caught a grasshopper. If it can prey on a grasshopper it can certainly fuck up caterpillars. The point is try to make accommodate solitary wasps in your garden they are bros
>>
>>1072067
I've been having luck with getting 2 growing seasons in 1 with purple majesty potatoes. They are cold tolerant, but still don't like frost.
>>
File: Fruit Maturity.png (137KB, 1196x1472px) Image search: [Google]
Fruit Maturity.png
137KB, 1196x1472px
>>1072019
Remember that it takes a long time for tomatoes to ripen. There's a difference between waiting for all green tomatoes to ripen and having the tomatoes that are just showing color change to stop ripening completely for a few days when normally they'd be fully ripe in that amount of time.
>>
>>1072104
>>1071935
Wasps work, but they are not a primary line of defense. They can not keep up with caterpillar numbers.
>>
File: IMG_20170801_144307.jpg (48KB, 598x653px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_144307.jpg
48KB, 598x653px
Bulk Jolokia is finally keeping its flowers, and even has the beginning of a bepper.
Exciting times.
>>
File: IMG_20170801_144222.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_144222.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1072176
>>
>>1072176
pat bebber is lewps
>>
>>1072126

We were talking about it being too hot or cold

Cornell University Cooperative Extension notes:

The optimum temperature for ripening tomatoes is 70 to 75F. When temperatures exceed 85 to 90 F, the ripening process slows significantly or even stops. At these temperatures, lycopene and carotene, pigments responsible for giving the fruit their typical orange to red appearance cannot be produced. As a result, the fruit can stay in a mature green phase for quite some time
>>
>>1072234
Night time temps are normally 90F+ where I live (kill me please) and they ripen just fine. They stall when it is cold.
>>
>>1072247
Aren't you the know-it-all
>>
>>1072293
I only have anecdotal evidence from personal experience.
>>
Would a hugelkultur work just as well if I used mainly large branches from a confierous bush and a LOT of weeds?
>>
>>1071309
the spice is oil, so water diluting it wont matter. I think is somesort of climate defence, chilli's are mostly tropical, and the hotness is dependable on location of ''trauma''

>Tropical soil is a bitch
>plant needs alot of energy to grow in tropical, hot humid/dry region
>plant produces more protection agents to protect fruits due to energy demanding region

chili in north america/ europa
>cold, but enough sun.
>Way better soil in the west
>plant doesnt need to cool, and uses little energy growing and producing fruits
>due to mass production of seeds, it doesnt matter if its protected or not, some wil hatch anyhow.

in the jungle the only useful form of transport is flying, birds can fly and eat the chilli's because they dont feel the burning from the chilli, mammals do. so only birds really eat peppers in the jungle, so spread the few seeds as far as possible.
>>
>>1072705
>plant needs alot of energy to grow in tropical, hot humid/dry region

Did you just make this up? It makes no sense. Hot peppers thrive in poor soil under arid conditions and require little fertilizer
>>
>>1072128
Against Caterpillers I've had excellent results with BT-pesticide, and yes, its biological, just use them bacteria to puncture the guts of those larvy-devils
>>
File: 1490904713176s.jpg (3KB, 107x125px) Image search: [Google]
1490904713176s.jpg
3KB, 107x125px
>>1072709
they thrive in those climates, but it doesnt mean it costs less energy. I myself an growing Mango's in the Netherlands, the reason why tropical plants need arid soils is mainly because of rootrot, tropical soil is a prefect drainer, which means there are little nutrients in the soil, so tropical plants have bigger, more efficient roots in the tropics. to bring them to europe they need to grow in a pot that is just abit to small, with some gravel/sand in the soil. if you trick the pepper to develop a healthy root system in europe, keep temp regular, and expose the pepper to enough sun, without the full heat, you will be able to get pepper that is tastier than a conventional pepper. If they've dried in the sun for conservation and flavour development.

>Producing sweet, but spicy peppers in europe, non-western countries Eternally BTFO because we can produce our own peppers.
>>
Favourite chinense varieties?
I really liked the aftertaste of chocolate habanero's but it wasn't really productive for me last year. Preferably not superhot.
>>
File: 20170731_094926-1.jpg (971KB, 2649x1887px) Image search: [Google]
20170731_094926-1.jpg
971KB, 2649x1887px
My lemon tree started blooming.
>>
Idiot with the buckwheat/barley situation here. An actual farmer says buckwheat is better.
Can someone s p o o n f e e d me and tell me how to plant buckwheat in an 8x25 plot? I need to do it soon, right? How do I prepare the soil from BARE DIRT for this? How do I get a seed drill so I'm not broadcasting and can use less seed?
>>
>>1072798
Pretty nifty.

>>1072810
Plant several things so that if something happens to one the others will be fine. Don't mix them in the same plot since they have different days-to-maturity rates. As far as when to plant, google it up specifically for what you want to plant and what you want to do with it. For instance, there's several types of wheat and you can plant them at different times. Of you want something as a fall cover crop, it will obviously be a different planting time than everything else. It is pretty straight forward.

Prepping the soil and planting methods depend on what type of soil you have, what type of tools you have, and what methods you wish to employ. If you have a hoe you can make furrows, drop seeds by hand along the valley then cover them over with the hoe. If you have a neighbor who has a seed sower you may be able to borrow or ask them to do it for you. Initial soil prep will always be to get rid of weeds or sod. Some people do no-till while others till the hell out of things.
>>
>>1072810
Why don't you ask an actual farmer? If this basic shit is tripping you up I don't think farming is going to go well for you.
>>
>>1070109
>grow well....
>>
>>1071594
what tomato species is that?
>>
>>1071118
>>1071309
>>1072705
>>1072709
>>1072718
Peppers will get hotter when put under water stress. This is a well recorded fact and has nothing to do with capsaicin being a lipid.
Same effect can be observed in other plants, like tomoatoes developing more aroma, like some Anon pointed out a few threads ago.

>>1071932
>>1071935
>>1072104
>>1072128
>>1072712
But wouldn't BT also kill useful insects?
I like the wasp idea though, how do I get wasps to settle in my garden?

>>1072790
Trinidad Perfumes are delicious. Slightly lemon-y flavour, only mildly hot though.
Habanero Mustard produces nice, fleshy fruits, too.
But speaking of productivity, how/ where you grow them makes a huge difference for C.Chinense. Got several variants in pots, a planter and a bed. The ones in the pods are the smallest. Their counterparts in the bed are at least twice the size of the potted ones
>>1071926 pic related is my planter, houses 5 C.Chinense. Their yield will never compare to some C.Annuum variants, etc unless they can grow really big.
>>
>>1072902
>how do I get wasps to settle in my garden?

well there is a useful link here that has been posted for solitary bees so I might aswell post it again

http://www.foxleas.com/make-a-bee-hotel.asp

as for wasps I'm afraid it's a little bit trickier, I did see small parasitic wasps nests in my pierced logs but those are rather small and I don't see them taking on caterpillars
>>
>>1072902
>BT

Yes, it will affect non-target species. More research needs to be done into what it affects and how it affect them. For instance it may affect a predator species that normally eats aphids. If they die out due to Bt use then suddenly you have an aphid infestation. This is why insect cloth is the better way to go, unless you need insect pollination for seeds. For the latter, set aside a few plants that are covered then uncover them when they flower. Just hand clean them until the flowers close then cover them (keep checking in case you missed some eggs/caterpillars prior to covering them.) That way you can still have seeds for next year. Since caterpillar problems stem from several types and sizes of moths, you can't just use netting. You have to use insect cloth

>wasps

Nooks and crannies. Like those block and brick garden walls in >>1071676 bottom row, 3rd pic from the left. Or, by making insect hotels/habitats like those described in the OP's pastebin links

https://www.niftyhomestead.com/blog/insect-hotel/

You know the pepper anon who has that stepped bleacher setup for the pots? Under the steps are a great location for turning into an insect hotel. You wouldn't lose yard space. I suspect that there's a specific "wasp space" that the wasps look for when choosing an optimal home site. From personal experience, a hole 8 inches deep, with a 3 inches by 5 inches, with the hole facing down and the top completely covered seems to be consistently enticing to paper wasps. As for other, parasitic wasps, simply growing the moth's target plants and having an infestation will bring them. You can also plant flowers that wasps and solitary parasitic wasps like to use (that's a list I need to make for myself). I know I've seen paper wasps on queen ann's lace and mason wasps absolutely love golden rod flowers which bloom later in the year. I've seen many forms of solitary wasps on basil flowers, catnip flowers, and thistle flowers (invasive thistle in this image)
>>
File: DSCN5284a.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5284a.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
>>1072908
The parasitic ones usually lay eggs in the caterpillars like in the pics in >>1072128 but at night they need a place to sleep and an insect hotel is a great place for them.

>>1072919
>(invasive thistle in this image)

Forgot pic.
>>
File: mason_wasp_caterpillar_richard.jpg (67KB, 630x414px) Image search: [Google]
mason_wasp_caterpillar_richard.jpg
67KB, 630x414px
>>1072922
>>1072919
Action shot (googled.) I've seen mason wasps pollinating in my garden, but I've yet to see them actively hunting. Potter wasps do the same things.
>>
File: IMG_20170802_085224.jpg (3MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_085224.jpg
3MB, 1944x2592px
>>1072902

I think it is caused by intense sun, very high temperature and maybe low humidity. Pic related has wrinkles associated with a "hot" jalapeno pepper, which a Mexican intellectual taught me at Walmart. I'd be curious to know if any of yalls jalapenos are wrinkly and were they grown with those three criteria
>>
File: IMG_20170802_145913.jpg (64KB, 903x884px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_145913.jpg
64KB, 903x884px
>>1072176
Going strong
>>
File: fgs.jpg (584KB, 2072x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
584KB, 2072x1200px
>>1072930
Also started on some microgreens, my bro has been trying them out for a while and his enthusiasm (and the delicious greens) infected me.
Sunflower-pea-daikon-mustard
>>
>>1072929
Those wrinkles are just a milder case of corking. Lots of peppers have that, most will know it from Jalapenos though. It has to to with heat but not low humidity, actually it happens with a lot of water and heat. It's basically stretch-marks from a growth spurt. Nothing to do with the spiciness, but it is seen as a sign of a quality pepper in some parts of the world.

>>1072930
Nice.
>>1072919
>>1072908
>>1072923
>>1072922
This is good information, thank you. Another build project, too! Also:
>You know the pepper anon who has that stepped bleacher setup for the pots?
Yes. Because that's also me, lol.
>>
>>1072947

Geez Americans really are retarded

>Jalapeños that have corked are not often seen in the American supermarket. This slight blemish is seen as a detriment to the growers here and peppers that have corked are more likely processed into canned foods where the defect is unnoticed. Additionally, the skin of a corked jalapeño may be slightly thicker, which really has no bearing on its quality at all. In other parts of the world and to the true pepper aficionado, slight jalapeño skin cracking is actually a desirable quality and may even garner a higher price than its unmarked siblings.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Jalapeño Skin Cracking: What Is Corking On Jalapeño Peppers https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/pepper/jalapeno-skin-cracking.htm
>>
>>1072947
>Yes. Because that's also me, lol.

I thought it might be, but you haven't posted a pic of that in a while.

>>1072934
I'm planning on doing something similar with seeds from redroot pigweed, American burnweed, chickweed, purslane, dandelion, ribwort plantain, common plantain, and queen ann's lace. If I get enough seeds this season. though, the seeds are so tiny, for most of those, that I can use them as sprouts instead of microgreens, if I wish. A friend called dibs on all the wild mustard seeds already.

>>1072956
Pepper corking affects mouth feel for certain dishes. Like fresh salsa. You won't find cat-faced tomatoes in stores here either. Though, some rare occasions you can find them at the local farmer's market.
>>
>>1072958
I use them in salsa and the only mouth feel I get is a burning sensation

>Some cooks believe that jalapeno peppers, and other peppers for that matter, can grow hotter when they are stressed during growing. If pepper plants are deprived of water or are exposed to higher temperatures while growing, they will develop greater heat levels. For example, pepper plants that pull through in times of drought might produce hotter peppers.

There is no actual scientific study that we are aware of, but it is accepted among chefs that jalapeno peppers with corking have a greater chance of being on the hotter end of the heat scale.

http://www.jalapenomadness.com/jalapeno-will-it-be-hot.html
>>
File: pepper-corking.jpg (104KB, 1200x520px) Image search: [Google]
pepper-corking.jpg
104KB, 1200x520px
>>1073020
>I use them in salsa and the only mouth feel I get is a burning sensation

If there's not much then maybe not, but when they are like this, you should. Though if you are talking about jalapenos and burning sensation then I doubt you can feel much of anything.
>>
Anyone know a cheap gardening soil mix?
>>
>>1072902
>how do I get wasps to settle in my garden?
Mason wasps feed on nectar, so maybe set out a hummingbird feeder that doesn't have a bee/wasp guard?
>>
File: 1400424424546.png (17KB, 400x431px) Image search: [Google]
1400424424546.png
17KB, 400x431px
>call local ag extension office to inquire about soil testing
>they give me the number for a nearby lab
>no one picks up when I call the lab
>call again the next day, turns out they don't do heavy metal testing
>call extension office again
>number disconnected
>>
>>1067877

I had a dumb moment the other day and snipped my pepper below the leaf growth, so that now it is just a twig. Is there something I can do to help it grow back?
>>
>>1073138
Ag departments are notoriously shitty. The one here has some guy that is really hostile to anyone who calls. It is like you're interrupting his masturbation session or something and he actually needs to do his job.
>>
>>1068501
You need to figure out exactly what the soil needs and what you want to add to it. I recommend oats and winter peas planted together and then turned into the soil with a tractor.
>>
>>1073143
Pray.
How big/old was it? Are you only starting just now?
>>
>>1073143
You mean there's no bud left? Is there any cork?
Put it under a strong light as soon and as close as possible without burning it, it may grow again
>>
>>1073158
>he's only had grocery store jalapenos
>>
>>1068474
Question: do you provide forage for your bees or do they primarily get forage from properties like your neighbors?
>>
File: DSCN2067b.jpg (1MB, 3108x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2067b.jpg
1MB, 3108x1536px
>>1073230
Where I live, everything from a grassy yard to the forest floor has flowering plants all season long. There's no deficit of food for them.

>>1073225
Eating hot peppers for a long time means you don't get the spiciness for low level peppers. If you stop eating hot peppers for a long time it'll come back. I have habanero, naga jolokia, and Trinidad moruga scorpion peppers. I consider everything from a wax pepper/jalapeno and below to be a sweet pepper since I can't detect spiciness in them at all anymore. I even made cinnamon-pepper candy using the Trinidad moruga scorpion peppers one year. It was pretty good (reposted pic).

For many people, the burning sensation outdoes mouth feel so they don't notice things like corking or even the subtleties of the pepper's flavor. If you eat hot peppers all the time, you pickup on these things very quickly. Making salsa with a bunch of corked jalapenos is kind of disgusting.

>>1073211
I have some jalapenos in the garden right now. They are a long ways from being ripe though. I'm more eager for the cayenne peppers than anything else really. I really like their flavor. Hungarian wax is also a really good one for drying, crushing, and using as a seasoning.
>>
>>1073255
Okay, but does the horse pasture provide food at a time of year that nothing else does? Perhaps the corn problem was that it skewed forage. Maybe they glutted on corn and the population crashed when the corn flowers went away
>>
>>1073257
No, there is always wild stuff available the entire time. That was one of the reasons I decided to raise honey bees. There is never a need to provide anything for them past the feedings for a brand new swarm.
>>
>>1073067
Literally just compost leaves and table scraps. You're done.
>>
>>1071056
OK, I killed two potato beetles and over 15 larvae. We enjoyed a few days of bug-free eggplants but today I had to remove two more larvae. They're just gonna keep coming aren't they?
>>
>>1073280
Ants are not pleasant but they're your best defense against beetles if you don't want to spray stuff. They like to build nests under Thyme
>>
>>1073282
I'd rather not deal with ants, but thanks for the info. If I have to remove them once every few days, so be it.
>>
>>1073194
>>1073143
I meant : is there any bark (not cork)
>>
The faggot spreading misinformation on this thread must be a mod who deletes posts point out her misinformation. Classy
>>
>>1073183
>How big/old was it?

A few months, but the growth was bad (because it is in normal soil) but I started putting liquid fertilizer on it and decided I needed to snib it. In short, a pretty decent size with a pretty decent root system.

>>1073194
>>1073319
There is most definitely bark, with a good 5/6 inches of growth above ground, but no leaves at all. I have no grow lights, what ampage should I buy to use on this?
>>
>>1070473
Distinct lack of boiled monkey in this picture.
>>
>>1073332
If there's bark, there's definitely a chance. Your pepper should have a lot of very tiny buds waiting to make new stems.
A simple 20W CFL (~1400 lumen) at 6500K (or even anything above 4000K) should do the trick. I think you can find it around 10 €/$/£. (Once again not too close or it will fry, ~20cm should be OK)
>>
>>1073342
Thanks bud, I´ll try and pick one up tomorrow. Hopefully lil pebber has a full recovery.
>>
File: avocadoplant.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
avocadoplant.gif
2MB, 500x500px
Anyone do interesting projects with your plants?

Im doing photos and videos involved with them
>>
File: pixelAvocado.gif (461KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
pixelAvocado.gif
461KB, 800x800px
>>1073361

Id like to make 3d models of my plants or something
>>
>>1072864
Because an actual farmer has farm equipment. I clearly do not need tractors for an 8x25 plot, but I _do_ need to ensure proper soil treatment of the area. Broadcasting and tillage makes no sense when I can no-till it with proper tools.

Additionally, I refuse to follow stay-at-home-mom-and-pop gardening bloggers; their armchair plant science is often contradictory.
>>
Anyone here grown poblano's before?
I had two plants from seed and I got a single fruit but it took forever to grow and they all died very quickly.
How many fruit do you normally get?
>>
>>1073362
That is neat as fuck. What was your process?
>>
File: IMG_20170803_145010.jpg (4MB, 2896x5152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170803_145010.jpg
4MB, 2896x5152px
Hey /out/ists i planted some peppers from a random mix and now those are growing, how strong are they?
>>
File: AnimatedGIF_2010_001b.gif (2MB, 480x218px) Image search: [Google]
AnimatedGIF_2010_001b.gif
2MB, 480x218px
>>1073386
>their armchair plant science is often contradictory.

Oddly enough it is because both are usually correct. That comes down to the methods employed, cultivars used, environment, soil types, etc. One set of instructions won't work properly for another type of method or location for instance. Though, some things are always suspect. Like when someone starts using terminology like "energies". That in itself isn't a bad thing, it just means they don't know the proper nomenclature or clearly understand what is going on. Since it is so ambiguous it could mean anything from "human soul energy directed to the plant" (translation, "all the extra care you are giving one plant") to "energy connections to Gaia," (translation, "the mycorrhizae network provides more minerals and water to the plant in exchange for carbohydrates"). The main problem is that you need to know a shit load of stuff already in order to figure out what they mean and if the info is any good. Which defeats the purpose of looking for help.

>>1073361
>>1073362
Pretty neat. Do you have a Lazy Susan? They are great for that type of thing. I want to do more of this type of thing (reposted pic). It requires installing a permanent pole where the camera can be mounted. I'd like to have at least 1 full season. Maybe next year.

>>1073388
When the plant is small, remove all flowers and fruit. Allow it to grow more. Otherwise, a single fruit can stunt small plants. However, it sounds like you had some other type of problems (slight nutrient deficiency or to much water perhaps). Ancho peppers are fairly easy to grow. Have you been growing any other types of peppers or was this your first?
>>
>>1073511
Mostly likely strong enough to kick your ass. Did the mix mention what cultivars there were in it?
>>
>>1073514
they did but i threw it away and forgot about it, i think it was mexican or caraibican. out of all of them 4 plants survived, 2 still have to bear fruits and the other one has what seems like a standard cayenna pepper (yellow right now tho)
is it too strong for a 3 people quantity of pasta? i already have a sauce i did from some habanero last year but that shit is poisonous, cant be used
>>
>>1073517
"Caribbean Pepper"? If so then it is a squat wrinkly type of habanero. Yes, it will kick your ass in something as small as sauce for 3 people. FYI, if you eat one whole, chew it up, rub it around your gums and tongue, and in 10 minutes your face will go numb. It'll give you a endorphine high much like a runner's high. Your body will think you are on fire and release chems to calm and numb you (good if you are having a heart attack lol). Habaneros aren't all that hot anymore, relatively.
>>
>>1073524
awww shieet will try to remove all the seeds and pray
i only use them for italian aglio olio peperoncino and usually it doesnt extract all the spiciness since it's cooked pretty fast, but i will go careful with it
thanks for infos bro
>>
>>1073482
I took 32 pictures of it, by hand. reduced the colors, downscaled in photoshop and upscaled
>>
File: re58sfgp0p3y.jpg (649KB, 1920x840px) Image search: [Google]
re58sfgp0p3y.jpg
649KB, 1920x840px
>>1073544
Is there a 16-bit color conversion part or is the gif just 16-bit? It reminds me of those old 16-bit games and the newer retro ones.
>>
File: IMG_2769.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2769.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Feedback on my peppers pls
>>
>>1073569
i think maybe like 32-128 colors i forget,
>>
File: IMG_20170803_174127.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170803_174127.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1073586
Is you growing season just starting? They seem fine tho.

>>1072934
Day 1, a lot are already sprouting.
>>
>>1073512
I agree with the final statement. Why is there no science-heavy source for information regarding actually planting things? Wikipedia is good to look up terminology, but that is it: There is no synthesis that you can create from the absolutely isolated pockets of information on the internet.
What happened to the information superhighway?
>>
Has anyone made cornbread out of glass gem corn? If so, send results.
>>
>>1073388
My Poblanos are chock full of peppers. So much I actually worry about them at the slightest gust of wind.
Can deliver pics I you want but tomorrow, it's getting dark here already.

>>1073511
Could be a 7Pot variant, but the leaves look too different from Habaneros (at least the variants I know). But probably a C.Chinense anyway, so most likely hot.

>>1073517
>Yellow right now tho
Then it will stay yello. Very few peppers go green-yellow-red and Cayennes don't.

>>1073586
Nice. How old are they? What variants are you growing?
>>
File: DSCN1645a.jpg (450KB, 1024x1540px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1645a.jpg
450KB, 1024x1540px
>>1073696
>glass gem corn

No, but I have used purple Peruvian corn, painted mountain corn, and some random store bought variety I was growing for a short time. All of them have a better aroma and flavor than the yellow cornmeal from the store. However, that gets even better if you nixtamal them first. Making grits from this stuff is the only time in my life I actually really like grits. The grits are rich and full of flavor unlike the cardboard-corn flavor of the store stuff. For the cornbread made from the purple Peruvian corn, the color is anywhere from a light grey to a dark purple. For the indian corn and painted mountain corn it depends on the ears. If they are a kaleidoscope of color it will look like this.

When you grind it yourself, I recommend an actual corn grinder like Corona/Victoria brand then sift it to the desired size. You will need to run the meal through a few times on ever tighter settings. You can use a mortar and pestle to get it very fine, but that takes forever. If you can find a hand cranked stone grinder that has the discs positioned horizontally, those are the best. I've only been able to find photos of them in Mexico. 2nd best is getting stone discs for an expensive GrainMaker brand grinder.
>>
>>1073698
>Could be a 7Pot variant, but the leaves look too different from Habaneros (at least the variants I know). But probably a C.Chinense anyway, so most likely hot.
what should i do with them? i didnt really think it before planting them but if they are inedible what is a good way to use them for normal eaters?
>>
>>1073748
Dry & powder them.
>>
>>1073698
peppers are a few weeks old? They germinated hella fast.

>>1073614
live in the tropics, I assume growing season is year round since there's no frost
>>
>>1073739
Describe corngrowing to me. Do you just let it grow and then dry on the plant before picking? How much maintenance do the plants require?
>>
>>1073355
You're welcome, good luck
>>
>>1073801
>live in the tropics, I assume growing season is year round since there's no frost
I guess so, yes. Good luck with em!
>>
File: DSCN1814a.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1814a.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
>>1073816
For sweet corn, you pick it before it dries so you can eat it on the cob. For flint and dent corn you let it dry on the stalk then harvest it. Corn likes lots of nitrogen so side dressing it with compost or watering with compost tea or manure tea should be done. There's not much maintenance needed if you keep weeds down. You can use the 3-sisters method to help with weeds and get more out of the land. The biggest mistake people make is planting it too spaced out. They are wind pollinated and need to be close enough to each other to dust the silks with pollen from the tassels. The biggest problem I have is with storms knocking the corn over and raccoons raiding everything. So, I use electric fencing and grow short varieties.
>>
>>1073823
might move them back under the shade for now, they're too fragile and rain
>>
Help me name my worm farm, please. I'm starting to fill out forms and leaving the name blank for now but I will eventually have to submit the forms and obviously need a name. I don't want to use "[last name]'s Worm Farm" either.

Just something simple and memorable that I can put on business cards and a banner for the farmer's market next spring.

So far all I have come up with is:

Worm Shit
Good Shit Worm Poop
Poop Garden

The first two can't be done and those are literally all I can think of aside from referencing Warhammer 40k and calling it "Worministratum" for a good chuckle from myself.

Help. I am bad with names.
>>
>>1073881
"Good shit worn poop" is a keeper.
>>
>>1073881
>[City] Worms & Castings
>[County] Worms & Castings
>[Last Name] Vermifertility: It's Good Shit
Read Butterick's Practical Typography (free online) to get up to speed on cards.
>>
>Cherry tomatoes giving daily
>Regular tomatoes have finally given me a trio
>Peppers producing nicely
I'm still mad my broccoli got fucked up, but this was a good proof to myself that I should continue this. I need a second plot if I do continue, maybe a third.
>>
>>1073881
>The first two can't be done
Why not? I'm pretty sure there's no laws on profanity in company or product names. I've seen spice mixes called "Good Shit" before.
Unless you're just worried about advertisers not wanting to do business with you or something.
>>
Has anyone ever grown Flordia Giant Watermelon? If so, how many fruits per vine? How much do you need to water?
>>
>>1073881
>Help me name my worm farm, please.

Urotsukidōji
>>
>>1073881
Wyrm Farm: Here be Dragons
>>
>>1073881
I vote for >>1073939's
>[Last Name] Vermifertility: It's Good Shit

Or you can choose among these too:
>The Best of Both Worms
>Anon's Home for Crawly Friends
>Worm Patrol
>Much Worms. Such Castings. So Good.
>These Are The Worms You're Looking For
>Gardener's Secret Sauce
>>
>>1073881
"challenger deep"?

the deepest ocean floor
>>
>>1074131
He said he wanted something simple, not names that'd make him look like a sperglet fresh out of Reddit.
>>
File: bellpepper.jpg (333KB, 887x606px) Image search: [Google]
bellpepper.jpg
333KB, 887x606px
My first bell pepper is here!
>>
File: pepperacre.jpg (308KB, 1096x611px) Image search: [Google]
pepperacre.jpg
308KB, 1096x611px
heres my pepper suare, about 10 bushes,
i have 2 additional pots with adult peppers
>>
File: tomato.jpg (446KB, 1983x1388px) Image search: [Google]
tomato.jpg
446KB, 1983x1388px
tomatoes,
in 3 weeks they should be loaded
>>
File: cherryhouise.jpg (427KB, 590x812px) Image search: [Google]
cherryhouise.jpg
427KB, 590x812px
cherry tomatoes should also be full soon
>>
File: jars.jpg (491KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
jars.jpg
491KB, 2592x1456px
been saving jars for my harvest,
I was planning to make tomato sauce which i then could use as bases for pasta or pizza sauce etc.
>>
>>1074171
Have you done water bath canning before?
>>
>>1074171
How do you eat that much mayonnaise? Also, why not just buy mason jars, I'm decently sure those aren't expensive, and they have properly sealed lids.
>>
>>1074167
Anon you better start snipping away some of those leaves
>>
>>1074231
i just cut them,
but they lack shelves
>>
>>1074222
because its a doublekill to just buy jarfood and reload?
>>
>>1074193
no man,
i make bases and then i put them
in the freezer.
>>
>>1074303
I do some of that for short term, but in plastic, not glass, since it can break as the contents freeze. Though, it depends on the contents. I do water bath canning and pressure canning mostly. Water bath canning is super easy so long as you adhere to the instructions. For non-pure sauces you'd need to pressure can.
>>
File: 20170804_182624.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_182624.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Saving seeds from this.
>>
My pumpkin's flower opened up this morning, but when I got back from work it was a closed bulb
>>
>>1074313
what is it?
>>
>>1074314
The flowers usually only last 1 day. You can pop off the male flowers just as they are closing and eat them. There's many recipes online. The male flowers are the ones without the mini green pumpkin on the back.
>>
>>1073938
>>1073939
>>1073951
>>1074025
>>1074106
>>1074131
>>1074147
>>1074148

I kind of like "Wyrm Farm" to be honest, but I don't think it'd fit completely. I don't really want to go with anything with a swear word since I live in the bible belt and everyone around here is a priss.

"Gardener's Secret Sauce" is doable, as is the "The Best of Both Worms" yet I feel like those are too long.

Settling on a name is hard. Thank you guys for the help so far though.
>>
>>1074346
we thought you wanted a comical name
>>
File: grownpeppers.jpg (391KB, 2136x1302px) Image search: [Google]
grownpeppers.jpg
391KB, 2136x1302px
these peppers are 0.5 meters
>>
>>1074368
>1foot 7
>>
>>1074314
My question is if it's normal for them to do that.
>>
>>1074332
Well if it does close in a day how would I know it's pollenated or not? I want a pumpkin this season and all.
>>
File: IMG_20170804_192542.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_192542.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
First beppers are ripening!
>>
File: IMG_20170804_192741.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_192741.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1074398
>>
File: IMG_20170804_193452.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_193452.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1074400
>>
>>1074327
Cucumbero
>>
File: IMG_20170804_193927.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_193927.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
Bulk Jolokia is putting out fruits at last!
>>
File: IMG_20170804_194800.jpg (1MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_194800.jpg
1MB, 2610x4640px
>>1074406
>>
File: IMG_20170804_200719.jpg (1MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170804_200719.jpg
1MB, 4640x2610px
>>1074408
And the microgreens, doing pretty well for being in the ground for only 48 hours.
>>
>>1074389
There needs to be a male flower and female flower open at the same time for it to get pollinated. It will drop off if it didn't get pollinated and swell if it did.
>>
>>1074157
>>1074165
>>1074167
>>1074168
Growing in Scandinavia? I mean I'm growing at 50°N in Germany so my shit is very late, but I still got my first red peppers and tomatoes in late June, and I'm already mad I got such a short growing season (things will end in late October, if lucky mid-November), having it even shorter than that would drive me insane
>>
>>1074413
Use more poly tents to extend the season.
>>
File: image.jpg (798KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
798KB, 4032x3024px
Thoughts?
>>
File: many_red_buges.jpg (3MB, 2241x3984px) Image search: [Google]
many_red_buges.jpg
3MB, 2241x3984px
>>1074441
It's either a leaf-footed bug nymph or an assassin bug nymph.

If it, legs included, is about the size of a pea, and it's got tiny black spikes on the top of its abdomen, it's a leaf-footed bug nymph, and should be genocided.

If it's larger than that, and has no black spikes on its abdomen, and has black spots on top of its thorax (the beginnings of wings) it's a milkweed assassin bug, which eats pests, and should be kept.

Also in my experience leaf-footed bug nymphs tend to travel in packs of ten or more, as in pic related.
>>
File: sausage_buge.jpg (390KB, 1000x1100px) Image search: [Google]
sausage_buge.jpg
390KB, 1000x1100px
>>1074441
Here's a picture of an assassin bug nymph, for comparison.
>>
>>1074346
"It has worms in it"
>>
>>1069131
da fug man, this is terrible. the soil is so dry and you let the weeds suck it away from the taters? you can weed out such a small plot of land yourself, it will take an afternoon at max
>>
>>1074603
why does it matter what water they get at this point? They have been ripe for 1 month+
>>
>>1074639
Why are they still in the ground then?
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>1074788
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 98

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.