[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, how do we regreen Sahara desert? It's already proven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

So, how do we regreen Sahara desert?

It's already proven as doable in other deserts such as gobi desert and the neighboring loess plateau as well as in Israel and jordan
>>
Mr Gaddafi had the right idea but got rekt because it didn't fit globalists interests.
>>
>>1067745
I recall hearing something about how plant growth in deserts is accelerating now, but not sure if that's legit or not. Either way, I think it'd be pretty cool to have an enormous rain forest where the Sahara is. >>1067820 has a good point tho.
>>
Add more carbon to the atmosphere and it would thrive but whitey and his global warming schemers won't allow Africans to reclaum they glory
>>
>>1067745
Humans honestly can't. Only time and mother nature can change things like this.
>>
It's pretty easy you just gotta throw all the sand in the sea and there's fresh water several thousand feet underneath sahara.
>>
>>1067745

It's a cyclical phenomenon. It'll re-green into a savanna given time.

Central Australia is in a similar pickle. In fact, it wouldn't take much at all to tilt it back into being green. Basically, living plants absorb water from the soil and transpire it back into the atmosphere, from which some of it falls right back down onto the ground (instead of running off or ending up in an aquifer). In some rain forests, the effect is so strong that 90% of the rainfall comes from water drawn up and transpired from the ground. So the plants act as a sponge keeping water in the air and soil (and of course their own biomass).

Other biomes do this to a much lesser extent, but the effect can tip an area over from grasslands or even forest into desert or back.

It works the other way, too. You mention Israel and Jordan. Thousands of years ago, those areas were forested. Lebanon in particular was famous for its cedar forests (now nearly wiped out and desertified). That land was all cleared and turned into orchards and farmland, carefully irrigated to make up for the lack of forest-provided retained water.

Then waves of war, misuse, and abandonment ended the irrigation and impoverished the soil. It turned into desert. Israeli reclamation efforts (I didn't know there were similar efforts in Jordan, but good for them!) are restoring the land back to its natural state. Alongside some agriculture as well, of course.

In the case of the sahara, it's a natural phenomenon and will reverse eventually (then reverse back, and so on). As for the Gobi, its situation is basically permanent. You could transform it with herculean effort, but if you stopped, it would go right back.
>>
File: index2_news_featured.jpg (281KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
index2_news_featured.jpg
281KB, 1024x682px
>>1067745
Algeria and tunisia did it years ago

>>1067820
Kek no. Not only that plenty of rapefugee came from war-torn shitholes (libya,syria, a-stan), even the west africans like senegal have very little incentives to leave their fertile, reasonably stable country just to become a refugee in europe
>>
>>1067745

Don't. Just leave it alone.
>>
>>1067745
You cannot "regreen" a real desert.

What you can, tho, is rehabilitate degraded and desertified areas, like in Ethiopia and Eritrea.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nak-UUZnvPI

Also, a better way is desert management, instead of trying regreen sahara, effort should be diverted in rehabilitating Sahel region as a boundary between Sahara and sub-Saharan region. If we can restore Sahel grassland/forest area, then the trees/grassland will naturally creep into parts of Saharan desert as well, due to restored microclimate and underground water supply
>>
>>1067903
Literally what's wrong with today's industrialized farming
>>
File: 110.jpg (282KB, 1200x864px) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
282KB, 1200x864px
Did you know that the Sahara only consists of approximately 20% sand?
The rest is stoney-gravely kinda stuff, like pic related.
I dont kno how that would influence regreening efforts, though.
>>
>>1068005
Any regreening area should always start with the hills or mountain

Those area have higher moisture level so trees (or at least shrubs) should be able to survive there and these hills would serve as water catchment area

If they can improve the microclimate of the area, the effect would snowball to lower land
>>
Why? I like different climates, I don't want everything to just be plants and shit.
>>
>>1067745
Gaddafi had a plan, but Hillary Clinton had him murdered so desert it will stay
>>
>>1068048
Sahara in itself isn't a problem. It's the desert expansion into Sahel region that's been a problem
>>
>>1067901
Could it be sped up by weakening the earth's crust and triggering volcanic eruptions in a select number of locations, possibly by drilling down close to the mantle and detonating a fairly large non-nuclear explosive? Volcanic soil is pretty fertile.
>>
What do you need to do exactly?
What species of vegetation are needed?
>>
>>1067820
This is a very stupid post.
>>
>>1068424
It's a measure borne of desperation.
>>
>>1068366

Ok so first, what you're suggesting is totally beyond what we're capable of technologically. Let's get that out of the way first.

Second, re-read my post you replied to. The Sahara regreens and desertifies cyclically already due to natural climatological cycles. So clearly this isn't a soil problem. Fertile but arid soil is a desert. Whereas some of the poorest soil in the world is in rain forests.

The issue in this case is the same thing that always determines forest vs grasslands vs desert: moisture. Which in turn means air currents delivering it from very large bodies of water. You can tinker with it a bit via plant life as I explained because plants retain moisture, or brute force it via irrigation.

But mainly you're stuck with what you get because the air currents are determined by very powerful drivers: solar heating, the Earth's rotation, oceans and mountains.

On the world-building thread on /tg/, people can link you to the basics of how all this stuff works. They're a good resource because they keep it simple, emphasize what-if examples, and are willing to entertain huge world-engineering ideas.
>>
>>1067745
Why would we ever destroy that ecosystem and the endemic species that live within it?
>>
>>1068618
For (((Progress))), or profit.
>>
>>1068625
Why do we still consider helping blacks progress? Real progress starts when they start dying.
>>
>>1068618

The sahara has been growing steadily for the past few thousand years. It could be reduced by half or more and leave the ecosystem still larger than it was before recorded human history started.

The issue is feasibility, not desirability.
>>
start with this and plant trees on it's north side
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
>>
>>1067903
That still looks like a desert to me
>>
orgone energy man

there's a reason the FBI destroyed all Reich's research- bc it works
>>
>>1068618
The ecosystem was destroyed when the desert spread everywhere.
>>
>>1068705
>aother UN program with billions spent and nothing to show.

It's the present. How do they still get away with it?
>>
>>1067745
Deserts aren't bad amerifat
>>
>>1067820
What an appropriate response on a board about the /out/doors, and totally warranted by the mood of the thread, too!
>>1067748
Wow! Stellar input! Really on-site!

More reasons to delete /pol/.
>>
>>1068887
DELETE ALL OPINIONS I DONT LIKE!
>>
>>1068798
Do you even know what you're talking about?
>>
>>1068366
yeah give the solid rock about 20,000 years to become soil
>>
>>1068887
They're both on point retard.
>>
>>1069062
Does it ever matter?
>>
>>1068887

Please stop. /pol/ sucks, and you're not helping.
>>
>>1068887
If I I want to keep my outdoors and indoors free of the A.F.S.A. I don't need you denigrating my posts like your some triggered snowflake who can't handle some facts. If Africa is for blacks and Isreal is for Jews then Europe shouldn't be for murderous negroid hordes wanting free shit at my expense all the while turning my country into the third world warzone they sustain and create elsewhere.
>>
>>1068887
Beat it, like.
>>
>>1069085
Well, maybe by then they'll finally figure out agriculture.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.