[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amerifags, explain the difference between hiking and thru-hiking.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1493222031725.jpg (32KB, 447x456px) Image search: [Google]
1493222031725.jpg
32KB, 447x456px
Amerifags, explain the difference between hiking and thru-hiking. I seriously don't get it, i crossed the alps from Venice to Munich. Was i hiking? Or thru-hiking? Or maybe just walking?
>>
>>1067712
sounds like a made-up and useless distinction, i wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>1067712
I would call your trek a thru-hike. Venice to Munich, huh? Good job

Now, the actual difference between hiking and thru-hiking, all I can say is that a thru-hike is usually a longer distance trail. Call me out for saying this, but I'd say anything longer than 100 miles is a thru-hike. Tell me if I'm wrong
>>
One of them will give you more instagram credits.
>>
>>1067715
You're wrong. A thru-hike is from start to finish, no matter which trail you're hiking. If the trail's 300 miles long, you're not a thru-hiker unless you're doing the whole thing in one go. Obviously, this only applies to trails with a designated start and finish.
>>
>>1067713
All words are made up, aren't they?
>>
>>1067754
Okay thank you for clearing that up because I wasn't exactly sure about it myself
>>
>hiking
one day or less
>backpacking
multiple days. anything from overnight to months
>thruhiking
long distance, point-to-point backpacking trip completed in a single attempt.
>>
>>1067845
this
>>
File: 1500766669979.gif (391KB, 250x189px) Image search: [Google]
1500766669979.gif
391KB, 250x189px
>>1067715
It surely was epic. I started a thread about it, but nobody cared, so i stopped posting about my adventures at the time i reached Belluno.

Last thing i posted was a detailed description about the lady at the espresso bar at mc donalds near the trainstation. Yeah, they serve freshly pulled espresso at mc donalds in tiny paper cups!

Also, every trainstation has a vending machine that grinds and pulls the espresso right there and then. It's awesome.

Anyways, my question is answered.
>>
>>1068454
>on /out/
>detailed description of mcdonalds worker
>surprised no one cared
>>
File: 8HgRsqW.jpg (250KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
8HgRsqW.jpg
250KB, 900x675px
>>1067754
yet i see threads here bitching about thru-hikers like they're some kind of subspecies, when clearly they're doing the ACTUAL challenging stuff.

sounds like /out/ is jelly
>>
>>1068454
That's actually really cool! Wish I had seen your thread. Again, good job on hiking that far!
>>
>>1067712
A hike is a hike. Movement to view a place.
Thruhike is a long endeavor spanning weeks or months from point A in one area, and ending in point B in another area quite a large ways away.
>>
File: 1492703821871.jpg (42KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1492703821871.jpg
42KB, 413x395px
>>1068565
Nice humorous description of OP, friendo.
>>
>>1068620
the problem isn't thru-hikers. the problem is people who won't shut the fuck up about being thru-hikers.
>>
>>1067712
Define walking
>>
File: 80_LBS_OF_TOOLS.jpg (87KB, 900x840px) Image search: [Google]
80_LBS_OF_TOOLS.jpg
87KB, 900x840px
>>1068722
Flew to Venice, started putting one foot before the other and didn't stop until i reached Munich. Took 29 days and about 590 km, climbed about 22km elevation. Wild camped 20 nights. Destroyed two pairs of Merrel Moabs. Lost 8 kg of body weight.
>>
>>1068753
Sounds like fun.
>>
>>1068753
I'm off to do the same in under a month, just the other direction. How is the last (for you first part) in terms of wildcamping?
>>
>>1067754
Say you thru hiked a trail and went back the other way. Is this a new thru hike or part of the original hike with a new name?

>>1068620
While I agree dealing with fellow dirty thru hikers can be challenging, I don't think it's the most challenging in /out/.
>>
>>1068922
You did 2 thru-hikes back to back
>>
>>1068922
>Say you thru hiked a trail and went back the other way
that's called yo-yoing, and it's a subset of thru-hiking.
>>
>>1068620
>challenging
>trail miles
choose one
Thru-hikers are the most unimaginative /out/ people, which is why there are so many of them
They are box checking normals, who want to brag that they have gone from A to B
>>
>>1068922
>Is this a new thru hike or part of the original hike with a new name?
I'm in the AT area, and a northbound thru hike (colloquially called GAME - Georgia to Maine) is different than a southbound thru hike (MEGA - Maine to Georgia). They would be considered different thru hikes according to most people.
>>
>>1068825
Not ideal, as soon as it got flat i just bivy camped.

Make camp at the last minute, get going fast in the morning. The italians are a friendly folk, they will not bother you if your footprint is small.

I personally would skip the italian flatlands if i was to start again, it was extremely hot and i didn't have my trail legs when i started.

Took a few days off to be with the mc donalds lady, i would say 26 days is doable, everything less would start to get difficult.

Have fun anon.

>>1068922
You just singularly reversed a thruhike. Its a subset of yoyo hiking which is a subset of thruhiking. M8.
>>
Basically in America all ""nature"" is locked down and pretty restricted so they have all these strange terms

>trail
This is a designated walking path where you're allowed to walk but not stray from

>thru-hike
This is when you're hiking through areas you're not allowed to camp in
>>
>>1068965
Fucking exactly this. Trail-hiking on a well-beaten path with shelters, nice flat tent sites, fire pits, and hundreds of other people is not exactly what I would call challenging.
>>
>>1069142
What would you call challenging?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.