[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have atleast one mountain biking thread here? /n/ is full

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
Can we have atleast one mountain biking thread here? /n/ is full of roadie scum and commuters.
>>
>>1066358
A thread died for this Sage in all fields.
>>
>>1066358
MTB is very /out/ related so why couldn't you have a thread about it?
Just expect butthurt bushcrafters to pop up.
>>
I like MTB. I don't ride as much as I'd like. I bought a new Diamondback like three years ago and have ridden it less than 8 times.

The sport gets more hate than it deserves. All the riders I know are conservationists to some extent and it's not like we're the ones cutting shortcuts down switchbacks through the brush...
>>
>>1066419
Why do bushcrafters get butthurt at us? If anyone pushes the boundaries of LNT it's them.
>>
Some of greatest memories are from mountainbiking trips. I used to live in a really rural area with endless miles of trails and parks that I could access right on my street. I'd always go alone so nobody will ever know the fun I've had and the amazing things I've seen and done out there. I live innacity now but still commute every day with my mountainbike. This shit is so in my blood.
>>
Apart fro a bike. what would you recommend for someone wanting to get into MTB?
>>
>>1066358
i like mtb stuff also, big part of it is to get out of the city and the filthy air.

/n/ is full or ptsd fags that scream bloody murder if they see a car. i got tired of it very fast. they are convinced that "cagers want to murder them" or "cagers never pay attention" which is obviously bollocks but they are like feminists same indoctrinated behavior and lingo no sign of rational thought process. fuck /n/!
>>
>>1066443
Because there are enough shitheads in the MTB scene, which is already much more visible than the hiking/shrubcrafting scene, to leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Plus they tend to tear up the trails to the point they're basically impassable for anybody NOT on a mountain bike.

I personally have been plowed over by trail riders twice on trails that were posted as closed to anything but foot traffic, including one that ended in both of us with serious injuries (he broke my leg and wrist and half his own ribs). I don't dislike the sport itself (I do it casually myself) but I've met a lot of real assholes doing it. Far more than I've met assholes on foot.
>>
>>1066473
Good quality helmet.

Good quality, small hydration pack.

Good loose bike shorts or bike pants, you do NOT want to be doing it in the compression shorts roadbikers use.

Good bike pump (I like the CO2 inflaters that use the 16g cartridges) and quality tubes.
>>
>>1066663
helmet is a must, altho i have to tell you i never wore a helmet in 23 years of biking and never hit my head, the last 2 years i wore a helmet i got dents and scrapes all over it.

generally protective gear makes you braver and less of a safety player you also will use the best protected part for contact point if you fall.

as for hydration packs they are completely unnecessary for a beginner. hydrate before you go biking, bring a flask full of water and hydrate when you get home. perfectly fine for a few hours of biking.

loose pants have a tendency to catch the fucking saddle as you try to mount the bike in a hurry. real sad.

bike pump well yeah if you expect flats sure, or go tubeless and you won't likely get flats.

i always wonder what's going on in the head of people that buy a fucklight fuckexpensive bike and hang 5kg shit all over it and their body. a full bike repair toolkit and spare tubes and pumps and 3 liter camelbacks, and iphone holders and crazy shit like that. i like to keep my bike equipped on bare minimum to ride. that means no reflectors no bags no toolkit no nothing.
>>
>>1066670
there is one legit reason to carry a small pump tho which i forgot to tell you about. let's say you go tubeless for extra low pressure on the trails (that really helps with grip climbing and rolling resistance on rocky gnarly terrain), but you have to travel asphalt roads there where high tire pressure gives you less resistance.

you can pump your tires hard release the air in the woods and pump them up again before heading home. that's like having the best of both worlds tire pressure wise no compromise, but you have to carry a pump.
>>
>>1066670
Dunno where you bike but an hour of moderate riding here in the summer will cause most people to sweat enough to risk serious dehydration. One of the bike-specific 1.5 or 2 liter camelbaks provides enough water for trail use. I literally can't go "a few hours" without water from April to late September without getting heat cramps. Spring, fall, and winter, yeah you can get away with keeping it in your car.

I usually ride muddy trails so I don't like having a water bottle on the bike frame, it's always coated in the nastiest muck. Don't wanna put my mouth on that.

I prefer loose (loose, not baggy) shorts or long pants for trail riding around here, otherwise I get cut the fuck up from all the little branches and shit that overhang the trails. They'll gouge right through the spandex roadbike shorts. Yeah, occasionally I'll get hung up on the saddle, worth it IMO. They also provide a slight bit more protection against road rash if you duff it.

Flats are a fact of life. Even if you don't take it with you on the trail, have a pump. The little CO2 ones are about the size of a crack torch and weigh less than 3oz with a full cartridge, and usually cost less than a good floor pump (although if you use it a lot you'll spend a lot of money on the CO2 cartridges).

Tubeless is awesome, but not found on the cheaper bikes and kind of a pain to convert to (most conversions require an air compressor to install and change tires), and you'll still want to carry at least 1 spare tube in case of a catastrophic puncture. Again, awesome, but probably not the greatest idea for someone just getting into MTB.

I dunno why people hang so much shit off their bikes either. An all-day ride for me will be a small camelbak (mine's 2L), with my CO2 inflater and 1 spare tube. No electronics other than my cell phone (which stays in the bag), no "tool kit", no frame bag, hell since it's an offroad-only bike I even took everything but the front reflector off it.
>>
>>1066728
>an hour of moderate riding here in the summer will cause most people to sweat enough to risk serious dehydration
death valley? not without water just not a full pack. also helps if you can refill at some place.

i guess it depends on the conditions but a beginner shouldn't ride like that imo. to get into mountain biking all you need is a mountain bike really.

i get flats once a year maybe. it's annoying as hell but whatever. i just carry my bike home on my back worst case. next week i don't even remember how much that sucked. for a longer trip yeah i would probably bring spare tube and pump.
>>
>>1066751
lolno. Missouri state parks.

It hit 107*F yesterday with 88% humidity. Pure misery.

If it's above freezing it's above 70% humidity here. We average 39 days per year over 100*F and over 100 days per year over 80*F. Despite it routinely hitting -5*F and our all-time low being -47*F.
>am now curious what the 50 and 100 year lows are

I get flats maybe 1 in 10 rides, but that's pretty much solely due to the high chert content of my favorite trails (despite them being boggy pretty much year-round) and the fact I don't replace tires as frequently as I should (I let them get pretty worn). This is atypically frequent assuming you have a quality bike that was properly assembled and aren't getting pinched or rubbing your stems. Usually I can patch them. I think I've actually replaced tubes maybe 15x and I've had this bike about 7 years.

I agree all you need is the bike (and a helmet, shit could potentially legit save your life) to get into mountain biking, but the other shit definitely improves quality of life without costing a ton of money or weighing a lot.
>>
What do you guys use on your bikes for lubrication? I own a bike bearing and chain distribution company
>>
>>1067690

I like Juice Lubes and the Muc-Off chain lubes.
>>
File: IMG_20170409_093840_976.jpg (368KB, 1933x1095px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170409_093840_976.jpg
368KB, 1933x1095px
>>1066655

/n/ is awful. Just the worst ever.
>>
>>1067690
fine machine oil, give it a good whirl, wait a few hours, remove excess with a cloth
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.