[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which lantern does /out/ use while camping/hiking? Need something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_6351.jpg (171KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6351.jpg
171KB, 1200x800px
Which lantern does /out/ use while camping/hiking? Need something dependable that won't break the bank and provides decent light for one or two people in the back of the truck or in tent. Would love to hear some suggestions
>>
luci light
>4 oz
>solar
>collapsible
>floats
i got the frosted one. love it.
>>
>>1066191
oh, and only $20
>>
>>1066191
>takes all day to recharge in bright full summer sun
>has 45 minutes of runtime
>not actually bright enough to see by, certainly not gonna be able to navigate a dark campsite with it
>doesn't actually float, mine sank like a fucking lead ingot so fast you could actually hear the clunk of it hitting the bottom of the tub, also shorted out
fuck no. Worst $15 I've ever spent and I even got a full refund for it.
>>
>>1066205
>strap it to the outside of your backpack or throw it on your dash
>mine has never run out of juice
>op asked for something for inside truck or tent, outside you'd want a headlamp
>mine floats
see, we can both play the anecdotal evidence game.
>>
File: luci light.png (125KB, 924x840px) Image search: [Google]
luci light.png
125KB, 924x840px
>>1066210
>needs something dependable
50/50 on anecdotal evidence of shit/not shit is not something most would deem dependable.

And oh look, all the complaints in >>1066205
seem to be a common and recurring theme in the Amazon reviews section.

It also appears that the vast majority of 5 star reviews are the bullshit "I just got it out of the package and haven't even charged it once yet but I can just tell by looking at it it'll be perfect!" worthless tripe.
>>
I really love the Fenix CL25R.

I use it in conjunction with a robust rechargeable 18650 battery. If you have some discipline in using your light, it can easily last you over a week.

(I use 18650 batteries for both my lantern and my light, I have a canister with 2 spares with me, but I've yet to use the spares if the originals have been fully charged before I go).

I really like the magnet too. Adheres to the metal parts on the inside of my tent so well, it's like the ceiling has a light.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JM03C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uses AA/AAA batteries, so I usually load it with both. The warm light setting is nice.
>>
>>1066188
dude just get some bricks and make a fire pit in the truck, just don't let it get crazy
>>
>>1066188
I go to bed at dusk and wake up at dawn. I don't need lights or even a campfire since I have a stove.
>>
>>1066188
>lantern
Never used a lantern for light around camp. Moonlight or campfire. Can someone recommend a good caving headlamp? Would like bright white and dim red.
>>
>>1067059
Vitchelo v800
>>
>>1066205
>bottom of the tub
Did you want a lighthouse for your toy boats?
>>
>>1069753
>yes
I wanted to see if it floated like it was advertised, since mine had already shit out on light output. Turns out the vinyl bell mainly stays "inflated" by being stiff as shit and isn't airtight, it filled full of water through a defective seam almost instantly.
>>
>>1066205
>takes all day to recharge in bright full summer sun
true
>has 45 minutes of runtime
I've never taken it lower than 2/3 on a full charge. I've typically run it 4 hrs on a mix of low light and bright
>not actually bright enough to see by, certainly not gonna be able to navigate a dark campsite with it
It's bright enough even at low to read by.
>doesn't actually float, mine sank like a fucking lead ingot so fast you could actually hear the clunk of it hitting the bottom of the tub, also shorted out
never tried. My older one seems a bit more durable though. I noticed I got a crack on the hard section near the blow hole on my smaller newer one. It doesn't appear to have compromised its ability to inflate though.

Overall I'd recommend the luci light for a camp lantern. very packable. good light. good power duration. I'd get the warm light frosted one in retrospect. I have an older white light one and it's a little harsh. Also get the larger version so you can check the charge which the smaller one doesn't have. The main drawback is the charging is solar but I figure you should be able to get 3 nights worth of light if you're not staying up too late on a full charge. I'd still bring a small flashlight for navigation as wandering the camp with the Luci is doable but it feels awkward to carry.
>>
File: fire.jpg (169KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
fire.jpg
169KB, 1600x1067px
>>1066188
A fucking fire.
>>
>>1070220
>in the back of the truck or in tent
great idea, retard.
>>
File: IMGP0718_composite.jpg (829KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0718_composite.jpg
829KB, 2048x1355px
just bring candles and bushcraft yourself a lantern
>>
File: moon.jpg (17KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
moon.jpg
17KB, 720x480px
>>1066188
>Which lantern
I use a Luna. It only has only about 0.05-0.1 lux, but it runs all night and doesn't require batteries.
>>
File: No. 8 Dietz, Blue II.jpg (397KB, 890x1276px) Image search: [Google]
No. 8 Dietz, Blue II.jpg
397KB, 890x1276px
>>1066188
For a lantern I always like a Dietz.
>>
File: LuminAID-PackLite.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
LuminAID-PackLite.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>>
File: light.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
You can also buy those solar lights for the yard and bring them camping
>>
File: IMGP0903.jpg (1MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0903.jpg
1MB, 2048x1356px
>>1070263
I fukken love a good cold blast oil lantern but they don't pack well. Oil spills, glass globe, etc.
>>
>>1069753
Trying out the advertised functions before you actually depend on them -- somehow a ridicule worthy activity
>>
>>1070268
Bring oil lamp to tent - good chance to burn yourself down or die of CO poisoning.
Nice thing to have in your cabin though.
>>
>>1070284
Well yeah, it's good for hanging outside just for the camp comfies
>>
>>1070286
it is indeed incredibly comfy thing somehow
>>
Since I see some oil lamp bros in here, I'll ask: is there a fuel I can burn indoors in my Feuerhand that won't slowly poison my family, or is it strictly an outdoor lantern? Also, can I use tiki torch fuel? It'd be cool to have the citronella effect
>>
>>1070254
>at best only provides usable light 25% of the time
>solar power fails on cloudy nights
terrible choice
>>
>>1070296
>Feuerhand
bro for a cold blast lantern (assuming that's the model you have) you want clear lamp oil - not mineral oil, not dyed/colored oil, not kerosene, and NOT oil candle or "hurricane lamp" oil.

cold blast lanterns of the design pictured should be used with clear/purified lamp oil (distilled kerosene) which is safe for indoor use. all the other oils will still work under normal conditions but will burn too hot, too cold, too dirty, or any combination of the above. walmart sells super cheep stuff (also pictured) that's really quite good for lanterns. some of the more expensive stuff is actually not what you want and is instead designed for dead flame lamps and oil candles, not cold blast lanterns.
>>
>>1070296
OH also yes you can burn citronella oil in your lantern (in fact it's the bees tits) but just be sure to swap the wick between.
>>
>>1070221
You can't handle a fire?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.