[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tree stand hunting isn't real hunting. You look ridiculous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15

File: tree-stand.jpg (68KB, 432x450px) Image search: [Google]
tree-stand.jpg
68KB, 432x450px
Tree stand hunting isn't real hunting. You look ridiculous taking aim sitting in your fucking tree house lawnchair. I hope the buck aint behind you, because you have no way to turn around. No idea how to find real cover or stalk, just sitting in your dumbass chair waiting for one to just happen to wonder by, like you bought a ticket at fucking Disney Fantasy Hunting Vacation. Might as well drop some cash on one of those places where you can just shoot some prey in a pen. Holy shit.
>>
>>1064492
So shut the fuck up and start running a trapline. Are we being raided by PETA or somethin?
>>
File: 1491583580194.jpg (129KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1491583580194.jpg
129KB, 750x709px
> he thinks you can't turn around in a tree stand
> he thinks you randomly just set up in any tree
> he has no concept or understanding of hunting but tries to make a statement
>>
File: ppbowhunter.jpg (31KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ppbowhunter.jpg
31KB, 320x240px
I'd rather not get mauled by the local megafauna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFS1alAVceY
>>
>>1064670
That death spiral.
>>
>>1064492
>trapline
Agree. Ground hunting is the best.
>>
ITT: OP didn't get a buck, but his friend who uses a treestand did. OP is butthurt.
>>
>>1064492
Why would you possibly be so mad about this? I understand it's silly for hunting bucks, but do you really think being on the ground, without a vantage point, is a good idea when hunting bears? Obviously, a baited bear hunt is best when with a tree stand, regardless of rifle or bow hunt. Grow up, people will do things that you don't like.
>>
>>1064670
What the fuck happened here?
>shot moose in the left side of ribcage
>moose starts bleeding through nose/mouth
Am I missing something here?
>>
>>1064874
He shot it in the lung, so I figure it was exhaling blood from the wound.
>>
>>1064878
Holy fuck. Okay, the moose probably didnt understand what was happening and simply went into shock and lost consciousness through the 10 seconds from the shot to the drop, but imagine getting shot like that and knowing that you have only ten (probably agonizing) seconds to live.
>>
>>1064881
yeah drowning in your own blood is not fun.
i would like to develop hunting skills but doing that to an animal you don't have to kill because you are not starving is pretty crappy. not that butchering is much better at certain parts of the world.
>>
>>1064805
Or perhaps buckhurt, haha
>>
>>1064891
Hey get out of our hunting thread
>>
>>1064989
haha
>>
>>1064670
Eurgh. Call me a pussy, but I could never hunt game like that.
>>
>>1064993
why i'm interested in hunting i think it's a good skill to have. i just don't believe in killing and torturing animals for fun especially not in a crappy way like that, and that was a pretty clean kill it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

if i needed the meat i would have zero issues getting it myself any way it works. if i don't i would just rather not cause pain and suffering and panic.
>>
>>1065026
He said get out.
>>
>>1065026
>torturing animals for fun
A single shot to the chest that puts an animal down quickly isn't torture. Now, getting torn to shreds and eaten alive by wolves on the other hand is really pretty gruesome.

What? You thought deer die of old age? lol. Hunting is compassionate.
>>
>>1065026

Pretty much the only way to avoid the animal feeling anything is to take out the brain with a rifle, they'll either ragdoll or do the headless chicken dance, but either way there's nothing there to feel anything.
>>
>>1065115
>>1065119
A perfect example of how humans actively try to minimize their preys' suffering. Any other carnivore would start at the intestines while the catch is still alive.
>>
>>1065115
>>1065026
Hunting is far more humane treatment than animals who grow up on farms, living in feces and in closed quarters unable to move or roam and slaughtered for mass meat markets.

Im sure they would take that 10 seconds of "pain" and confusion over say an entire lifetime of that shit.

Even then, I am sure the moose didn't even feel that arrow considering how fast your body goes into shock from mortal/serious wounds.
>>
>>1065119
>Pretty much the only way to avoid the animal feeling anything is to take out the brain with a rifle

The moose likely felt nothing other than confusion and maybe being unable to breathe from a collapsed lung.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 277x182px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 277x182px
>>1064881
>>1065026

Come on dude.

> Born into slavery and captivity
> Live an unatural life in often terrible conditions
> Fed the ground up remains of your own species mixed with grain
> Have absolutely no concept of the natural world or how animals (your brethren) live in nature
> Pumped full of various chemicles and hormones
> Sent to a litteral torture/death dungeon
> Sent through a sterile, industrial, assembly line with your kind in order to be calmed, executed (fairly often not as humanly as hoped), and eviscerated.
> Packed to be shipped to supermarkets
> Shrink-wrapped and put on shelf for people to nonchalantly browse over and utterly abandon.
> Hopefully they buy your unrecognizable remains instead of just throwing you out when you "expire".

Vs.

> Live a completely natural life
> Killed in a way that even if it goes HORRIBLY wrong is better then anything a predator, old age, or weather will deliver you in the end.
> Honored as worthy prey, given a space of HONOR in the house (mounts, pelts, etc.) so you can watch over the man who killed you to see if he is worthy or not all the while living forever through tales of your life and death told between hunters.
> Each and every bite of your meat is a memorial to your life an absolutely connected to you and the wilderness as a whole.
> Your home/habitat will forever be preserved as well as your family and all other denizens of the wild because of men like the one who you met in a final struggle with and NO ONE will love you, your brethren and the wilderness that you come from as much as those men.
>>
>he cant track and stalk animals

laughinggirls.jpeg
>>
I prefer to hunt from the ground when I can, but you're a faggot if you think there is a more practical method when hunting in thick cover and low visibility.
>>
>>1065215
There's a lot of places it simply isn't practical, or is significantly less productive.
>>
File: 1499166512576.gif (4MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1499166512576.gif
4MB, 426x240px
>>1064555
>stop taking the bait
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 569x506px
>>1064670
why couldnt he have just taken a picture or something?
>>
>>1065330
insecure manlets
>>
>>1065330
Where do you think meat comes from?
>>
>>1065123
cats kill first. fucking hyenas or baboons will eat your gut while you still breathing.
>>
>>1064670
I just can't see the fun in hunting. I don't care if people do it but damn.
>>
>>1065330
It wouldn't have killed the moose.
>>
>>1065366

You are watching a small snippet, namely the killing portion, of a hunt. So not exactly fair to say "I don't see the fun in hunting" from simple killshot videos when really you mean "I don't see the fun in out of context killing".

I'm positive you would see the fun in hunting if you watched a long video about a weeklong backpack hunt for elusive prey and then packing all the meat even if still you did not see the pleasure in killing (since that isn't where the pleasure comes from anyways).

Watch MeatEater.
>>
>>1065023
I, personally, would never disparage someone because they weren't up to murdering an animal, and I would hope that others wouldn't either.
>>
>>1064492
Tree stand hunting is boring AF, but you do have to have some understanding of how the animals behave if you want to be successful regularly. Ambush is a legit hunting technique.

>>1064670
I just got back a few hours ago from an offrange (off of the White Sands Missile Range) oryx hunt. It appears that it is easier to kill a moose than an oryx, even though a moose is a fuckload bigger. Those things are just tough. I did get one around or just before noon. Taking care of a large animal in the middle of the day in the summer in a place that was named for all of the people who died in traversing the area in the past that you've hiked after is a real motherfucker. I don't have a pic from the kill site because none of us have the camera, but I'll see if I can get a pic up. I'm fucking exhausted though.
>>
>>1065384

Also the term "fun" is not even a good one to use for hunting since it so much more profound and mixed emotionally then that. Something that involves the taking of life is not something that can be quantified in such simple terms.
>>
>>1065368
Fucking lol.
>>
File: 2nd-oryx-no-face.jpg (478KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2nd-oryx-no-face.jpg
478KB, 900x1600px
>>1065386
Of course, I blacked out my face, because this is 4chan, and besides, I had a rather grumpy look due to humping around the desert all day. And don't worry, the meat was all in a giant cooler by that point.
>>
>>1065386
I dont mind hunting. I find taxidermy and pictures of hunters posing with dead carcasses a disgusting display of voyeurism.
>>
File: dictionary.jpg (58KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
dictionary.jpg
58KB, 630x630px
>>1065486
>voyeurism
Here, Anon. You need this.
>>
>>1064492
There are animals that sit completely still and wait for prey to come pass them to attack it. It's called Ambushing and is a legitimate form of hunting. Please think before you post.
>>
>>1065486
Its because you don't hunt so your context of the animal is only its death. For the person that hunts the mount serves as a place of honor and respect for the animal. Every time they see it it brings back memories of the great experience they had and the appreciation of getting that meat.
>>
>>1065419

Dude how hard was it to get this tag? And isn't easier to get a broken-hearted oryx tag or is it the exact same process? I know the ones ON the testing field are once in a lifetime hunts (literally I mean) but you did yours off the actual range right? Imaginr that is a harder hunt (in a good way) and also not once in a lifetime? (Again in the literal sense of only being allowed one tag ever not in the bucket-list, amazing hunt way).
>>
>>1065492
I mean't it how I said it.

>>1065572
I want to get into hunting. I don't feel the need to be a show off and display what I killed with a photo or a video. I don't think its something others need to see. Facebook is just as narcissistic and disgusting.
>>
>>1065626
You need to understand that inside every (well, most) men is a killer instinct and there's nothing immoral or embarrassing about it, unless you accept all the bullshit ideology our civilization has attached to the act of hunting.

Of course we want to make ethical kills and be respectful of the animals, but that doesn't mean people who do kill something or talk about going hunting should be ashamed or keep quiet. Hunting is something everyone should be very proud of, it's one of the most rewarding and challenging things a person can do and it is literally the foundation of all of our biological lives going back to the beginning of life itself.
>>
>>1065344
Depends on whether or not it's hungry. Well-fed house cats are known to hunt and play with their prey just to satisfy their hunting instincts.
>>
>>1065617
It's a tough hunt, for sure. I spent 9 or 10 days on it, and in a lot of areas, they blend in better than the native wildlife.
>>
>>1065617
Oh, and it's the same process to get a tag. Offrange are not once in a lifetime. That's the second one I've killed.
>>
>>1065385
I wouldn't use the term murder, I don't think it's an accurate term for what's going on there. The arrow to the lung is absolutely brutal though, coughing up arterial blood before it passes out from asphyxiation and blood loss a few seconds later (Better than it being hit somewhere else and bleeding out for hours, though). For the size of the game, that's probably as clean of a kill you're gonna get from a bow and arrow, but it still is a pretty bad way to go. I know getting your intestines ripped out by a pack of wolves is worse, but there's probably a more efficient way to kill the moose. I'd feel bad unnecessarily subjecting the animal to that extended death, not the act of murder overall.
I'm not a hunter, though. Would a rifle bullet to the heart or lungs dispatch the moose quicker, or are they hard to take down regardless?
>>
>>1065687
I'm no expert but moose are massive animals, only way one would go down quicker than the vid is getting a heart shot, and that would only be a couple of seconds shorter.
>>
>>1065626
>mean't
Okay, that was a pretty clever response. You almost got me they're.
>>
By not hunting, humans doing a massive amount of physical and psychological damage to ourselves. By reducing the effort needed in order to eat meat from chasing it down for up to a few days, to driving to McDonald's that only a block anyway, we're effectively destroying our bodies, is it really that far fetched of a concept that by not putting forth the effort typically necessary, and instead just plopping down in front of the television, that we're also destroying our motivation?
>>
>>1065724
shot in the brain stem is the quickest kill. shot in the heart causes immense pain it looks like the animal is suffering less because it is paralyzed but the pain is there and death is not that fast.
>>
>>1065687
One of the main problems with hunting with guns are the bullets - bullets will often shatter and fragment inside the animal and make it a bitch to get out before it lands on your dinner table. Not to mention it ruins the meat also. If you can score a clean headshot, more power to ya, but larger animals like moose have much thicker skulls and may take 2-3 bullets to even down with a high calibre rifle.

Hunting isn't perfect, but its better than the alternative. Pick your poison.
>>
>>1065687
>worrying about how you kill something

How nice of you. I'm sure the animal really appreciates your methods of killing vs other anons methods of killing.
>>
>>1065870
>Shot through the heart
>And you're to blame
>Darlin', you give hunting a bad name

Still better than being conscious while their intestines are being ripped out and liver and kidneys are being eaten.

>>1065872
Maybe if we laced our bullets with morphine, PETA would bitch less.

>>1065928
Deer don't die of old age. They will be killed, they will be eaten. If you have a problem with someone trying to do it as compasssionately at possible, YOU'RE the asshole, not them.
>>
>>1065928
No one wants to see an animal suffer. If my dog gets sick I feel like absolute shit while watching him whine and moan until he gets better. Most human beings have more empathy towards animals than they do their fellow man.
>>
>>1065804
lol
>>
>>1065026
>He thinks the moose would have died quickly and painlessly in the wild.
>>
>>1065815
>Hunting
>Effort
Lets be honest mate.
>>
>>1065185
>> Born into slavery and captivity
>> Live an unatural life in often terrible conditions
>> Fed the ground up remains of your own species mixed with grain
>> Have absolutely no concept of the natural world or how animals (your brethren) live in nature
>> Pumped full of various chemicles and hormones
>> Sent to a litteral torture/death dungeon
>> Sent through a sterile, industrial, assembly line with your kind in order to be calmed, executed (fairly often not as humanly as hoped), and eviscerated.
>> Packed to be shipped to supermarkets
>> Shrink-wrapped and put on shelf for people to nonchalantly browse over and utterly abandon.
>> Hopefully they buy your unrecognizable remains instead of just throwing you out when you "expire".
Humans do this though. I ain't saying it's a great way to live, but it is how they do it.
>>
>hurr durr being proud of killing your prey is bad
Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>1066287
I agree with your underlying sentiment, but reducing a consideration of how we hunt animals into a simplistic kneejerk reaction isn't helping anyone. The limp-wristed hippies are equally as bad as smug good ol'boys that don't question their own practices.
>>
>>1066254
Tryhunting with a longbow and hauling a massive animal like a moose, one two-hundred pound piece at a time 5km to your truck without it getting scavenged by bears and wolves.
>>
>>1066254
Urban fags mistaking the unnatural animal behavior they witness daily with how animals behave in their natural environment. Do you just enjoy being wrong or are you legitimately too stupid to learn about something before you speak about it?
>>
>>1066436
Fuck off, I like my .270 im not switching to something less effective. Also yes I know packing deer is difficult, but its not as tough as it would have been for early man. We got it fucking easy.
>>1066444
Urbanfag, I take offense by that.
>>
>>1066492
Not everone is a bitch with a bu n like you. There are plenty of trad hunters.
>>
>>1064492
>aint
kek
>>
>>1064670
Why does it sound like a highway in the background? Doesn't sound like wind to me.
>>
File: IMG_0138.jpg (580KB, 1036x1176px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0138.jpg
580KB, 1036x1176px
I couldn't disagree less OP. Also, some trespassing peats of shit came onto my property to hunt and just left his tree stand lashed to a tree for months like he owns the place. Pulled it down and scrapped it, and left a note on the tree with my name and # so he could call me and we could sort it out. Curiously he never called.
>>
>>1065344
cue lion trying to eat bull's penis while another is busy trying to kill it webm
>>
>>1065368
Hahahaha
noice
>>
>>1066253
i know nature is cruel and ruthless but why do i have to be also? we are humans we could easily rise above this crap.
>>
File: pighunting.gif (267KB, 960x557px) Image search: [Google]
pighunting.gif
267KB, 960x557px
Are you happier when I use dogs to chase down an pig and then stick it with a knife? This is a 180lb boar killed with a knife. 3rd place in a competition.

Hides can be valuable. Say you regularly hunt an area. You want to scope out a social area where you see a lot of sign, and pick out a deer you want to track down individually as a trophy. Sitting up a tree might work. Id rather just lie on the ground though. Or place a camera.

I wonder what % of people against hunting could even hike 10 miles through the bush away from any track and then carry 180lb out again. Not as easy or simple as going to the supermarket when you actually get down to it. Even if you sit up a tree near a site you have previously worked hard to identify. Personally I'd never carry a big gay tree seat into the bush, but can you argue with results?
>>
>>1067003
How do you suppose we deal with animals such as deer in areas where there are no natural predators left or the population of predators is not enough to control them?

We as humans could rise above this crap to what? Humans are biologically and anatomically predators, it is how we evolved. There is no practical reason why we should change our human nature to appease your fucked and sheltered world view.
>>
>>1067514
wow wow contain your butt-hurt little faggot. don't get all defensive here. you do what you want i just said i personally don't want to cause pain and suffering to an animal unless i need to. and frankly we as a species don't need to. there are pretty humane ways to slaughter nowadays with captive bolt guns and all. pretty much instant kill. about deer the best would be to reintroduce their predators we foolishly exterminated. the woods are not the same without the element of danger these top predator represent. going to the mountains is like going to a park in the city except hunters like to shoot your doggo on or off leash it matters very little so better leave the mutt home.
>>
File: laughing as dholes%0A.jpg (83KB, 500x610px) Image search: [Google]
laughing as dholes%0A.jpg
83KB, 500x610px
>>1067536
Ah the classic hunters are cruel killers lusting for blood and itching to shoot anything argument. Bravo.
>>
>>1065687
First moose I took down was with a spine shot from a .308 at 75yds. He was looking straight at me so I took aim for his neck and he went down in an instant. My friend did the same thing with his .303, except he had iron sights and the moose was side on.
>>
>>1065985

The difference with sport hunting is that the hunters take out the best and strongest, weakening the population. Whereas animals will cull the weakest. Also taking one wild animal means one less prey animal for the wild predators. Also eating meat is degenerate.
>>
>>1065629
>you need to understand

Ironic to ask understanding from someone without understanding the other party yourself.
>>
File: 1492772814330.jpg (1MB, 907x907px) Image search: [Google]
1492772814330.jpg
1MB, 907x907px
>>1069783
Taking out the 'biggest' and 'strongest' isn't weakening the population. A smart, ethical hunter will know what times of the year to hunt thus avoiding reproductive cycles which ensure the longevity of those 'strong' genes and allowing for genetic diversity.

Animals culling the weak? That is stochastic and rooted in the chaotic nature of the individual's life. If it were as simple as that, then there would be no diversity..

Predators are not all monophagous? The land clearing to grow your crops of invasive plants is much more of a threat to 'wild predators'.If the numbers of game species are not controlled, they will eat them self out of existence which would result in a trophic cascade.
>>
>>1068341
>and itching to shoot anything
that part is beyond question or debate tho
>>
>>1070101
No it isn't. Why do you assume it is? Debate starts now.
>>
>>1070101
How do you suppose an animal be consumed without first being killed? It appears you are attempting to exploit this condition to prove that you are correct. However, all you have proved is that hunters must kill. That is not the same as 'itching to shoot anything'.
>>
File: IMG_6428.jpg (1MB, 2678x2279px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6428.jpg
1MB, 2678x2279px
>>1064492
>I hope the buck aint behind you, because you have no way to turn around

You mean like how this doe was walking behind me?
One shot, through the heart. Dead right there.

Amazingly, human beings are able to turn their bodies to look behind them, even when seated. And if you have a gun, you can even shoot behind you too, provided there's not a tree trunk in your way.
>>
>>1065026
>i just don't believe in killing and torturing animals for fun
How about managing the populations of prey animals that don't manage themselves for fun, then? Because deer, Moose and elk don't self-regulate their own populations. Predators do that, and we are predators.
Also, A FUCKING LOT of wild game meat is either taken home and eaten, or given away to any one of dozens of "hunters helping end hunger" programs. It's estimated that 3 million pounds of meat from wild animals per year is given to these charities, all from hunters who paid for the privilege to hunt the game, paid to have it processed into meat, then just gave it away to help other people.

>especially not in a crappy way like that
You have no idea how real life actually works if you think that was crappy.
That shot was near ideal and the moose died in a matter of seconds.
You may not like seeing animals become food for you, but that doesn't make that kill inhumane.
Had that moose stepped into a hole and broken his leg, he would have spent days in agony before either dying of thirst or being killed off by wolves who would have ripped his throat out and eaten him alive.
People are far more humane to our prey than any other animal would ever be.
>>
>>1065870
It's acceptably short either way. When we talk about inhumane kills, we're talking scenarios where it takes hours or even days for an animal to die from its wound(s). A good shot to the heart/lungs area kills in minutes, often with them struggling.

With shot placement, you have to consider what happens if your shot isn't as wonderful as you want it to be. We do not live in an ideal world; all sorts of things can and will go wrong-scopes go out of whack, people pull shots one way or another, wind pushes bullets and so on. Being off an inch or so from where you were aiming isn't a rare thing out there.
The brain stem and spinal cord are both VERY small. If you miss, you could blow off a jaw, shoot through a meaty part of the neck or gut shoot it, which are survivable-but crippling-wounds for an animal. Death may still come, but it could take days or weeks of starvation and infection before it succumbs.
With a shot in the heart/lungs area, you have much larger area that produces a mortal wound, thus more margin of error for your shot, and the animal will go down quickly without lingering.

>>1065872
Bullets only shatter and fragment if they impact game at velocities well above what the projectile is designed for.
Pick the right bullet for the gun you're using (or even better, pick the right gun shooting the right cartridge for the condtions you'll be hunting in) and you won't have that problem.
>>
>>1070789
>often withOUT them struggling
Meant to say this instead.
>>
>Tree stand hunting isn't real hunting
>Tree stand hunting
>isn't real hunting
>hunting isn't hunting
>>
Why are faggots on this site so utterly unable to comprehend the concept that there are many approaches to anything and which one is best is entirely based on context. I wouldn't hunt out of a stand on an elk hunt in western US, but why the fuck would you not do it if you're deer hunting in the east?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.