[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a balcony that sadly points northwards and towards the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170719_210229.jpg (667KB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_210229.jpg
667KB, 4128x3096px
I have a balcony that sadly points northwards and towards the backyard of our building.
Nonetheless I still want to make it as nice as possible and especially as green as possible. To start out I'm thinking about picrelated wall, which leads to our hallway toilet with a completely seethrough window, that no one got around to doing anything about since no one is really using it anyways, but its still awkward.
My plan is to buy a cheap trellis and just get something that will cover the wall in not too long a time.

Now my real question is: Whats the best plant to use for this?
Will wine, for example, grow there, since it only gets a couple of hours of direct sunlight even during summer?
Im pretty sure that Ivy will definitely grow and grow possibly even fairly quickly there, but Im not sure about the damage it might to to the plaster behind it.

What Im looking for has to be able to grow out of a fairly small bucket (probably a long-ish rectangular one). Also will need some survivability during winter, although I doubt we will get a harsh one anytime soon here in Bavaria...
Both of these things I'm not exactly sure if they fit eith wine or ivy.
>>
Day-after-self-bump.
>>
>>1063670
You need to give some details. What's your climate like (temperatures, sunny hours etc.) Where I'm living (Weinstraße, Palatinate) people actually grow wine on the north sides of mountains in the middle of the forest somewhat successfully. The grapes are way to sour to eat raw, but you can make an acceptable diluted wine (Schorle) from it.
grapes will however attract wasps since they start ripening during a time where they need sugar and lack better sources. My parents have some wine on the north-east corner of their house, and last year was the first time in the last 10 years that the wasps didn't destroy the whole crop. My grandfather (living in the Eifel, which should be comparable to southern bavaria) also grows some wine on the west side of his house.

I'd definitely stay away from Ivy, it'll grow into miniscule cracks in the plaster and force them open.

Something else that might work is Waldrebe / Jungfernrebe (don't know the english name, but since you're from Bavaria, I guess the german names are more useful anyhow). They grow quickly, are a beautiful light green instead of the dark green of ivy, don't attract wasps like wine does (they do however attract lots of bees while in bloom, so stay away from them if you're allergic to bee venom). they also need only very little soil (at my parent's house they have around 0.5m2 of soil for around 10m2 of leaves and branches).
>>
>>1064168
I live in Munich so climate should be exactly the same as for you.
I have by now abandoned the idea of using Ivy or any similar clinging plant as I really dont wanna pay for replastering the wall when I move out...

Waldrebe (Clematis) I have looked into and they seem to be perfect, but I cant find much information if they will survive without direct sunlight every now and then.
Dont have a problem with bees so should be fine there, plus I doubt that many bees will actually make their way over the entire house into the centeryard.
Also do you know if Clematis will loose their leaves during winter? While not crucial, I would like to avoid having to rake leaves or possibly have them tumble on the skylight below my balcony...
>>
>>1063670
Grow moss.
>>
>>1063670
Devil's ivy will do great there. With a minimal amount of indirect sunlight it will be fine.
>>
>>1064375
Looked into it and seeing as the natural habitats are all more or less tropical, I have to assume that it wont survive a german winter outside.
Still thanks a lot for the link because I am also looking for something to put in my room as well, which too doesnt get much light.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_110159.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_110159.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1063670
>Will wine, for example, grow there, since it only gets a couple of hours of direct sunlight even during summer?
yes. i'm in the same situation like you and got wine a few months ago and it's growing nonstop.

>pic related
>>
>>1064883
Looks great actually! Where do you live? Do you plan on packing the bucket into blankets for winter?
Also how big was it when you bought the plant? Or did you grow it from a single seed?
>>
>>1064915
i live in vienna. i don't plan anything for winter since it's a "winterproof" plant. it was just the base stem with a few leaves when i got it in march, grows like weed since then.
>>
>>1064933
Sweet! Thanks a bunch Austriabro!
>>
>>1064934
you're welcome and happy gardening!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.