[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a methanol stove with me in Peru but I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 4L_ahgMJoaR.jpg (48KB, 660x360px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ahgMJoaR.jpg
48KB, 660x360px
I've got a methanol stove with me in Peru but I haven't seen menthol for sales since the US (traveling south through the Americas).

I want to do a couple days hike to some ruins, so what I'm interested in is what's the next best thing to burn? Seems like it'd have to be either ethanol or gasoline.
>>
>>1058723
Buy some ever clear or pure grain alcohol at the liquor store and you'll be good. You can also mix a little into powdered drinks
>>
Go to a pharmacy and ask for "alcol", "alcohol puro" or "alcohol de quemar". Usually they will try to sell you 70%, but you want 96% (96 grado).
Barring that, go to paint or hardware stores and ask for "alcohol desnaturalizado"
>>
>>1058723
Definitely gasoline
>>
>>1058746
I like the idea of drinking what I don't burn, but if all I can find is 40% spirits will it burn well to cook / boil water?
>>
>>1058758
No.
>>
>>1058758
if you can't find rubbing alcohol you could try cutting it with some lighter fluid (although the fluid might burn too quick)
>>
>>1058723
Ethanol is better than methanol in those things anyway.
>>
>>1058856
Really? Why do they usually spec methanol then? I figured it was denser.
>>
>>1058723
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fuel-list-bransle-lista.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjxl9XPx4XVAhXMalAKHVj8AXUQFghBMAM&usg=AFQjCNHBKO4mcaTA3VgKoWxg955u1do4Fg
>>
>>1058723
>or gasoline.
From what I have read, gasoline is supposed to be a very bad idea, since it can essentially "explode".
Is there any high-proof local firewater? If you ask around, you can probably get 80+% alcohol, which should work quite well.
>>
>>1058723
what the fuck? there are countries that sell those as METHANOL stoves? the fuck is wrong with you? i only know them as ETHANOL (known as booze) stoves. Why would anyone carry methanol when ethanol is a valid option and works just fine?
tl;dr just use ethanol, dump that methanol asap
>>
>>1058947
clarification: methanol is highly toxic, that includes the fumes and on skin contact. it causes organ damage and stays in your body for a long time, prolonged exposure is not a good idea, it's vile stuff that should be avoided at all costs.
ethanol is also toxic, but harmless compared to methanol.
>>
File: 1498942510304.jpg (125KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498942510304.jpg
125KB, 400x400px
>>1058723
Its a swedish ethanol stove, made by Trangia. ETHANOL!
>>
>>1058929
>http://trangia.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fuel-list-bransle-lista.pdf
invaluable/10
>>
>>1058949
I do believe that the flame is also not visible. So you could start burning shit without even realizing it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: Heet.jpg (31KB, 345x335px) Image search: [Google]
Heet.jpg
31KB, 345x335px
>>1058723
>I haven't seen menthol for sales since the US
>>
>>1058723
Shit like gasoline, acetone and rubbing alcohol will be very smoky, but technically works. What you want is 90% or better Ethenol, Methenol, or Denatured alcohol , which is a combination of both. You can buy Denatured alcohol in the painting section or HEET (in the YELLOW bottle) in the automotive section of your local hardware store.
>>
Methanol is used as fuel in drag racing.

And as a catalyst in making home made or commercial BioDiesel.

The guy that said it's toxic wasn't exaggerating.
A small spill on your arm or something can kill you or fuck you up for life.

But Ethanol works just as well.
Try the hardware store.
>>
>>1059654
>A small spill on your arm or something can kill you or fuck you up for life.
True, but the treatment for methanol poisonings is ethanol, so with denatured alcohol, which is primarily ethanol, the risks are significantly reduced.
>>
>>1058863
methanol is way cheaper and easier to get ahold of.
>>
>>1059669
suicide watch here anons
>>
>>1059421
methanol and ethanol flames both are both invisible in daylight, but as these kind of stoves are designed for this fuel it's kinda the problem of the stove in general.
>>1059654
it's not used as a catalyst but a reagent in makink bio diesel (as in it's used up in the reaction and not in the same state after the reaction)
>>1059669
not here in europe. the only methanol i know of is sold in one hardware store of 7 in my area.
ethanol is sold in every supermarket in the cleaning supply section.
and for puropse of this thead keep in mind that ethanol, danatured alcohol and high percentage booze are the same thing.
>>
>>1059428
this, its fuel line deicer, you may want to look for marine stove fuel
and the high grade rubbing alcohol works, just the low grade is diluted with water, so avoid that
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.