[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here slept in a bivvy bag? I can't think of anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
Anyone here slept in a bivvy bag? I can't think of anything more grim. Does it not get sweaty as fuck in there?
>>
>>1058022
Yes and no. The little bit that covers the face I always left open. Though mine also had a bug net so I didn't get bugs in my face while still getting good airflow.
>>
>>1058022
>I can't think of anything more grim.
Fucking drama queen. It's no more constricting than a sleeping bag, and if you seal it up completely then you are doing it wrong.
>>
>>1058022
All the time. Anything decent will allow humidity to pass out of the bag, I use an SOL Escape bivvy; the only issue I've noticed is that you only get about 100 uses out of it before the thermal reflectivity layer starts to wear off, so I go through a couple each year.
>>
>>1058163
Are you homeless and sleeping in a gutter or LARPing as a leet survivalman?
>>
>>1058163
>i sleep outdoors in a meme sack
>Heh, it's highly rated by all my tactical pepper YouTube channels
>>
>>1058343

>i sleep outdoors in a meme sack EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR
>Listen and believe
>>
File: top kek 45.jpg (30KB, 277x197px) Image search: [Google]
top kek 45.jpg
30KB, 277x197px
Does Regata Hilo 300 sleeping bag counts to this thread ? if yes . its warm and comfy as fuck
>>
>>1058163
>after hundreds of uses it deteriates
>multiple ones per year
>365
Your either a hobo, or lying. GTFO
>>
>>1058022
I use a bivy and tarp. The moisture is less than a sleeping bag, but I use I sleeping bag as well. You also don't enclose your face inside the bivy unless it's preventing more moisture than it creates. Even down to 20F I'll put the bivy over my face, but leave my mouth/nose exposed to prevent condensation. I've got a cheap bug net I wear over my face if needed. The overall moisture is less than that of tents IMO.

Another misconception is about rainfall with a tarp/bivy. If the tarps say 6-10 inches from the ground, even in 15 mph winds I've never had it blow in more than a few inches on the sides. More on the ends if you don't plan accordingly with the wind, but nothing too crazy.

If you freak out about bumps in the night or bugs then a bivy and tarp isn't for you.

Would I ever just go with nothing but bivy? No, never go full bivy
>>
>>1058886
I go full bivvy. What's the point in the bivvy if you've got a tarp above you? Senseless.

Also, my luxury item when I'm out is a Crazy Creek chair. I've used that over my face when it rains. Keeps me nice and dry perfectly well.
>>
>>1058163
almost fucking died in one of these once. my dumb ass thought i was a good idea in the early spring to hike 16 miles away from the vehicle and halfway through my hike it pissed rain.
lesson learned.
pack an umbrella.
>>
I use a gore-tex ine while camping. It started raining before I had it set up so I was damp when I went to sleep but I woke up dry. Unless you're in a puddle just let a small part of the zipper open
>>
>>1059486
Why do you need a bivy if you have a goretex liner my lying friend?
>>
>>1059368
I dunno. Maybe a place to keep my pack and boots dry in the rain. Place to cook in rain.

I get more versatility than a tent, less downside, and get more of area for protection from elements. The bivy is like a waterproof, high temp, light sleeping bag for me. I don't consider it a "shelter".
>>1059528
Maybe his bivy is goretex? He misspelled one.

Mad my little shitposting faggot?
>>
>>1058163
>goes camping 200 times a year
>roughly 4 nights per week
>>
>>1058022
>Anyone here slept in a bivvy bag?
I have.

>Does it not get sweaty as fuck in there?
You only need a bivy if it's raining. If it's hot, just get into your sheet bag. Mind you, I've only used a bivysac in coldish weather, for an extra "umph" of warmth.

The big issue with a bivysac is that all farts get vented past your nose.
>>
>>1058314
>>1058343
>>1058357
>>1058650
>>1059472
>>1061777
During the warmer 6-8 months of the year, I lake-hop. I've found that the bivvy and liner, along with a CCF pad, is plenty adequate down to about 35-40F, and repels moderate rain well, so I don't bother carrying a sleeping bag and just throw my poncho over myself during the occasional storm.

I'm not bothered by people calling me homeless, a hobo or bum or whatever; I cover my annual living expenses in the first three weeks of my seasonal job, and get ten months of vacation. I'm too relaxed to be bothered by much of anything.
>>
>>1061844
what's your job where you work two months a year and how much does it pay if you don't mind me asking?
jealous as fuck you spend the majority of you week camping though sounds comfy
>>
>>1061854
I don't mind at all, though it's nothing fancy. I work at WM as a cashier during the holidays. The pay sucks, barely over minimum wage, and they don't allow anyone to work more than 36 hours/week, but when your only living expenses are gear replacements, fishing license, tackle and shoes (which is by far my biggest expense), it doesn't take much to cover it. During those couple of months, I'll usually stay with family and do housework for rent, but I've rented a room by the month in another city once also.

It definitely takes a different mindset to live this way. You kind of have to really enjoy hiking, camping, fishing and foraging in order to pull it off, not to mention letting go of a lot of common notions like hot showers and washing machines as being necessary, relegating yourself to washing soapless in lakes and rivers.
>>
>>1061854
He only works three weeks a year
>>1061879

Have you ever been camping?
>>
>>1058163
not sure what your numbers imply there bro, but id agree on its usefulness as a bivvy without the instant damp you get from condensation in the cheap plastic ones
>>
>>1058022
Just get a Woobie, problem solved.
>>
>>1062011
mil detected
>>
>>1061953
>He only works three weeks a year.
Actually, I typically work around eight weeks out of the year, but I only 'need' to work three. It helps to have a little extra cash for when I want to treat myself to a restaurant or train ride.
>>>1061879 (You)
>Have you ever been camping?
You mean at established campsites, with hotdogs and marshmallows, and taking hours to set up a truckload of gear? Of course, that's how I got into this, and usually what I have to do for friends that want a taste of what I do. But I prefer not to much anymore, myself. I like the solitude, so while it may not be as comfortable, it's far more relaxing to me than being twenty feet from the neighbors.
>>
>>1062057
He's not wrong.
>>
>>1062117
Can you tell us more about your lifestyle?
Where do you live?
>>
>>1063492
>Can you tell us more about your lifestyle?
It's not terribly interesting, I rise and sleep with the sun, eat what I can catch and forage (and sometimes plant), carry everything else, moving every couple weeks.

When working season comes, I head to my family's home, cut my hair, apply for seasonal work, catch up with friends and family and two months later I disappear into the woods again.

>Where do you live?
Cascadia. Everything is pretty abundant here, so I haven't done as much traveling as I'd like. It's just hard to leave when it's so darn comfy.
>>
The biggest issue I have about a bivi is your gear / cloths / boots when it's raining and worse yet in the snow

I have a real issue with waking up under 6 inches of snow at first light

No escaping the rage I feel
>>
>>1063675
I take a couple of bin bags and still my pack and boots in those.

Some bivi bags (British Army, for example) are big enough for kit in the bottom end.
>>
>>1063675
I pull my shoes into my bivvy and use my backpack as a pillow (my pack is relatively waterproof).

As far as snow goes, I switch to a cocoon hammock for harsh weather, I can't imagine a bivvy in heavy snowfall.
>>
>>1063789
Back when I was soldiering I woke up burieded in snow more times than I care to remember

I came back off patrol one early morning an saw a bunch of steaming blow holes those poor bastards
>>
>>1063983
>a bunch of steaming blow holes
What were you doing in the officers' lounge?
>>
>>1063985
Marvellous giggle
>>
File: Download (5).jpg (7KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Download (5).jpg
7KB, 300x200px
This one is pretty good actually.

good can find lots on Amazon which a pretty good.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00499DS0C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=9603-21&camp=1638&creative=6742&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00499DS0C&linkId=482a1dd32e14e31f77719c834774b6fe
>>
Slept in a bivvy pretty frequently in the army, and if it weren't for being in the army it would have been alright.

Please stop shooting at us I'm trying to sleep.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.