[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure if this is the correct board, but i've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 60mm_telescope_613061-1.jpg (172KB, 1500x1650px) Image search: [Google]
60mm_telescope_613061-1.jpg
172KB, 1500x1650px
I'm not sure if this is the correct board, but i've been interested in astronomy for a long time and i would like to get into stargazing. can anybody give me tips for things like a solid telescope and various equipment? i don't have that high of a starting budget, although i'd like to test the waters with something fairly reliable.
>>
bumping

is there a different board i should go to?
>>
>>1055282
Astronomy would be a /sci/ topic, but I could probably point you in the right direction. What is your budget exactly? Amateur astronomy is one of those things where there's a bit of a price barrier to entry.
>>
Cross-boarders are the worst.

>post a thread
>bump in first few minutes because you think the board is really fast
>conclude that /out/ is slow that you NEVER come back to check the thread, end up forgetting about it or checking days later
>people who actually replied to your thread get annoyed when you don't participate in your own thread, and they reply less willingly to future cross-boarders
>>
>>1055282
>>1055300

We've had astronomy threads in the past, but out is slow so be patient (and ignore the jerks). To begin with I'd recommend a decent set of full size binoculars (7x50 or thereabouts - compacts don't let in enough light). More magnification isn't necessarily better because it's harder to hold then steady. With that and a star map or phone app you can see some neat stuff and learn your way around the sky. This page will let you know what there is to see:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/sky-at-a-glance/

Cheap telescopes with wobbly tripods are frustrating, so I'd wait until you know you like astronomy, have some idea of what you want and can save up for a nicer one.
>>
>>1055282
Hello anon
I can help you out
First I must ask a few questions
What is your budget?
Are you going to be backpacking your astronomy gear into remote locations?
What types of objects do you want to see?
What is the limiting magnitude of the areas you intend on viewing?
>>
>>1055282
CELESTRON
>>
File: ia77juS.jpg (221KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
ia77juS.jpg
221KB, 1000x667px
Go on craigslist for a good telescope. There are tons of people in the city who buy a telescope rated for seeing deep sky objects but can't use it at home, then decide to sell it. I picked up pic related for 200 bucks off some guy in Chicago.

Also get good binoculars.

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

for finding a place to go for stargazing

https://clearoutside.com/

for cloud cover forecasts.
>>
OP hasn't followed up with the thread since bumping it. I hope you guys know that he will never return.
>>
>>1055530
If he doesn't it's probably because >>1055370 scared him off.
>>
/p/ is a depressing shithole. Better to post here OP. Btw, complete newbie, what lens lengths are usable for taking some pictures of the milky way?
>>
>>1055594
Wide.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1055527

I had the xt8 Orion and I regret getting rid of it and saw this thread and wanted to cry

I had the xt8 with moon filter and 3x Barlow and 2.5 Barlow

I really wish I held on to it was worth over 800$ Canadian

If I had a choice I would go with the xt10 or xt12 but I'm short on money

Deeply regret selling it, miss my dobsonian
>>
File: Jupiter_Moons.png (174KB, 860x309px) Image search: [Google]
Jupiter_Moons.png
174KB, 860x309px
Homebound nigger here

I got a Celestron Sky Prodigy 130 hooked up with Canon DSLR, 3x Barlow and a few filters. I run the scope outside and control the DSLR by wireless on the sofa in the conservatory with a tea. Maximum comfy. Mainly do shots of Jupiter and Saturn being that the city i'm in is so light polluted.

I'm yet to stack in post processing though.
>>
>>1055594
We told you to post on /sci/, though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.