[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What better way to celebrate Americas independence day than a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 270
Thread images: 28

File: outmap2.png (357KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
outmap2.png
357KB, 1553x1202px
What better way to celebrate Americas independence day than a good ol state ranking discussion? Any people with the unfortunate circumstance of living in a low ranked state travelling to a great state for the weekend? Stuck in a shit state visiting family? Share all your opinions on the official map and experiences, just don't forget the one rule, you are not allowed to question the rank of your home state/current state of residence, as past threads have shown people are not emotionally able to do so/lack the perspective to be able to.
>>
File: DSC_7094.jpg (2MB, 3600x2008px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7094.jpg
2MB, 3600x2008px
>>1052139
>washington state a 7
>idaho an 8
>utah an 8
>what are the north cascades
>what are the central cascades
>what is the olympic peninsula
>what is the salish sea
>what are the san juan islands
>what is the eastern desert
>what is mount rainier national park
>buttes
>scrublands
>canyons
>beaches

Washington is definitely an 8.
>>
>>1052155
Idaho and Utah are both legitimate 8s.
>>
Why is AL only a 2?
>>
OP is a dumbshit as usual Maine is fucking king
>>
File: 2qntlvt.jpg (151KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
2qntlvt.jpg
151KB, 1600x1063px
>>1052159
because /out/ has a huge hateboner against the east coast even though for the average /out/ retard it has everything you'd need (forest, low population density) for an 'outdoors' experience.

I live in washington and was born in PA, lived in MI and MO for a spell as well. Each one of those states had plenty to do outdoors for hiking, hunting, fishing, camping, and general /out/ fun. For the life of me I don't understand how PA has a fucking 2 when it has forests, beaches, lakes, some hilly terrain (AT crosses through too.)
>>
>>1052165
Alabama is east coast? I always felt it was central. That's what our time zone says, too.
>>
>>1052170
You're right, I guess I lump everything east of Missouri as "east coast," even though you're definitely not on the coast.
>>
If Alaska isn't a 10 then what is. I mean this is really a 0-8.5 scale.
>>
>>1052175
this anon gets it
>>
>>1052175
It's too close to Canada.

And Hawaii should be rated by island.
>>
Going from a 0 to an 8 for several months.
>>
>>1052139
North Carolina's diverse terrain should get it a higher score. Oklahoma is underrated as well. It has the southernmost wild spawning trout fishery in the US and is also home to some of the most beautiful big sky prairies in the US.
>>
>>1052175
Cold and dark for too much of the year
Also those fucking mosquitoes
>>
>>1052158
>missing the point of his post
Retard alert.
>>
>>1052209
No I get that he's shitting on other states to try to make his point. Apparently you missed that, though.
>>
>>1052211
I didn't shit on either of those states, calm down you fucking retard. Just saying that if those states have 8s, there is no reason why WA should not also be an 8.
>>
>>1052199
>southernmost wild spawning trout fishery in the US
Holy fucking shit, who cares?
>big Sky prairies
AKA:it has Jack and shit
>>
>>1052155
How many glaciated mountains does Idaho have?
WA deserves to be rated higher.
>>
File: DSC_7106.jpg (690KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7106.jpg
690KB, 1600x1068px
>>1052229
Exactly my point. I'm not against other states being highly rated, but WA getting a 7 is a fuckin joke considering how much /out/ shit there is to do.
>>
File: 20161126_135028.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161126_135028.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1052139
Arkansas and Missouri deserve at least a 5. They both house the Ozark Mountains
>inb4 Ozarks aren't mountains
Yes I know it's a plateau
Also...
>What are the Boston Mountains
>What is the Ozark Trail
>What is the Ozark Highlands Trail
>What is the Buffalo National River
I mean, c'mon. I know they're both not the greatest because the rest of both states are trash but seriously a 3 on both is pretty ignorant.
Pic related is a view from Roundtop Mt. in Arkansas

Also greetings from the Ozarks and Happy 4th everyone
>>
States east of Colorado can never go higher than 5 because of a lack of public land.
>>
>>1052229

>How many glaciated mountains does Idaho have?

Over 200. Is that enough?
>>
>Kentucky isnt ranked 11/10

Your map is fundamentally wrong.
>>
AZ only a 6. Map disregarded.
>>
>>1052529
>shitty desert, too hot, mexican filled shithole is a 6
Yeah this map is stupid. AZ is a 4 at most
>>
Map is false. Tennessee is way higher than a 2.
>>
>>1052139

I mean, Im not American, but I travelled alot in field trips with my university.

Maine a 5?

Its 80% woods. Acadia is one the most impressive places Ive ever been to.
>>
>>1052548
>Acadia is one of the most impressive places I've ever been

It's nice but not that impressive. You can drive to the top of the biggest mountain, there are carriage/bike trails all over. I think I'd choose most place in the Sierra Nevada's or Rockies over a trip to Acadia.
>>
>>1052532
>AZ

Get into Coconino and Yavapai County. Though I find the high mountain desert in Maricopa County gorgeous, once you go north and get up above the Mogollon Rim, you've got beautiful piney woods and three, sometimes four seasons. Prescott gets snow, while Flagstaff and the surrounding area have ski resorts. There's good hiking IN the Phoenix city limits while also plenty of federal land to dick around in. What's not to like?
>>
>>1052139
montana and cali are 10s my dude.
>>
Never been west of IL - is Texas really that shit?
>>
>>1053043
>desert
>three seasons
>what's not to like
You said it yourself. Plus what I stated before. Too many mejicans, injuns, high temperatures. Not enough rain, clear mountain lakes, or cool temperatures
>>
File: 1495699700460.jpg (94KB, 486x810px) Image search: [Google]
1495699700460.jpg
94KB, 486x810px
You guys are fucking retarded
>>
>>1053051

I've lived in Texas half my life. I think the biggest deal breaker for me has been just the ridiculous distance to travel between parks and the lack of public land. Almost everything is privately owned, and it's not like you can just drive an hour and you're at a lake or campground to hang out at. Also, ironically, it's hard to find publicly accessible shooting ranges in most places that don't require a paid annual membership.
>>
>>1053054

What's your problem with Mexicans/Latinos and Indians? They were there first. They're gonna be there.
>>
Why does everyone have to hate Maryland
>>
>>1052399
Which ones would that be?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glaciers_in_the_United_States
>>
>>1053080
/out/ is inherently racist
>>
>>1052139
Michigan isn't just Detroit and farmland. The entire Upper Peninsula has a population of like 14 people and it's great for outdoor shit.
>>
WV is like 80% national forest and it has a 3?
>>
WV, VA, and PA need to be higher
>>
>>1053094
Glaciers are different from glaciated mountains my retarded friend
>>
>>1053080
You guys have to stick to one story. Either the injuns were genocided or they weren't but either way people from South Mexico or Guatamala were never living in Arizona
>>
>>1053193

It depends on the tribe. The Hopi and Navajo were forced onto reservations from tribal lands already within the state, while the Apache were pushed into being neighbors of the above. There's dozens of other tribes, all originally from AZ that are still there, all stuck on reservations. Also, Arizona has Latinos who were always from there. Not everyone is a job-stealing wetback with a leafblower. Fuck.
>>
>>1053206
When the USA hispanic population goes frown 1 million to 50 million would you not concede that illegals are an issue?
>>
New York should be much higher.

I get that people kinda rank the state's based in how remote the wilderness is, but part of going out is having access to the outdoors.

Sure, Alaska is great for being out, but for most of it you have to take a bush plane to, if you can even access it. Plenty of other /out/ areas are just too inaccessible. I'm sure you're some expert mountaineer that can survive for weeks in attic tundra, but for 99% of /out/ists, accessibility is key.

The Adirondack park is a fucking playground. You're able to drive to ir, there's towns, there's public facililites, but there's also large expanses of wilderness. You can put you kayak in a lake, and kayak for hundreds of miles along interconnected waterways with a few portages. There's trails everywhere, the high peaks wilderness area is absolutely insane for hiking and backpacking. There's amazing fishing, snowmobile trails in winter, ski resorts, mountains above tree line to climb, huge areas to backpack in. There's jist literally everything you could ever want to do outside, and you don't have to take 4 days of bush planes and mountaineering expeditions to reach . The Adirondacks are bigger than Glacier, Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon national park combined. You can dispersed camp almost anywhere, you can hike in wilderbess for days, or take a weekend trip and be home by Monday.

It's absolutely fantastic, but go ahead and argue why it sucks.
>>
>>1053237
>There's jist literally everything you could ever want to do outside
I like to climb mountains higher than 5,344', could you point me to where in New York I could do that?
>>
>>1053237
>>1053449
Also, where in New York is the best skiing in July, August and September?
>>
>>1052139
if wyoming isnt a 10 idk what is yellowstone is one of the greatest places ive ever been and not to mention wy has some of the best skiing in the country. how can there not be a 10 on this entire map? that doesnt even make sense.
>>
>>1053451
Yru so angry?
>>
>>1053483
Just asking, since you seem familiar with New York and claim it has literally everything I could want to do outside.
>>
>tropical islands are worse than deserts
I can stay outside all day in any of the islands, even Oahu is better than most of those other places.
>>
VA should be higher.
Fix this map
>>
>>1053051

No. It's just really fucking big and gets hot as balls in summer. It's ALSO one of the few states where you can experience a wide range of landscapes from ocean to desert to piney woods and much in between.
>>
>>1052139
>midwest a shit
Why? What metric are y'all using?

I live in Iowa so we'll ignore that one. That said
>Minnesota a 4
What the shit? It's fucking beautiful there.

>ND a 3, SD 4
Been to both. Best time I had was camping with my buddy up by Fargo. Also beautiful.

>Missouri a 3
Again, have tons of fun camping there. I didn't think it was as pretty as other areas, but it's still nice.

>TX is 1.5
While I haven't been there, my buddy lives in west TX and he says it's fucking beautiful.

I mean, if you want to include shit like the damn Somalis in MN, then rankings would be different. But I really think y'all are underselling the midwest. This looks like it was made by some fag from CA.
>>
>>1053449
If that's all you like to do, then go find another state. The vast majority of people on this site are not in to mountaineering. In fact, if say less than one half of one percent of all /out/doorsmen have any interest in it. It's definitely an awesome activity, but it's not exactly popular in the grand scheme of things.

>>1053451
I'm sure July skiing sounds like fun for yu, but the rest of us think it's jist a little wired. It's called summer for a reason.

So other than skiing in July (wtf) and mountaineering, NY offers almost everything else, while being accessible.
>>
>>1053484
That's someone else I'm just wondering why you are so angry and jealous
>>
>>1052155
California gets an 8 that's so cute.

Hippies think they're sc/out/s because they take selfies with a sign that says designated hiking area
>>
>>1053110
Michigan let's you hunt on other people's farm land too. Farmers sign up to let you hunt in there fields.

It has more water than any other state and designated large areas of state land for hunting.

It has the great lakes too.
>>
>Utah an 8
We are truly the best
>>
>>1053618
California gets an 8 because their 15 acre "state forests" are rife with a squirrel and dead bodies.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 206x214px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 206x214px
>>1052139
>louisiana a 2
>literal best hunting in United states
W E W
>>
>>1053630
Remember the time someone told you they were going to Cali to go experience nature.

Oh wait they had to get a license just to go rafting
>>
File: IMG_0072 - Copy (2).jpg (69KB, 415x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0072 - Copy (2).jpg
69KB, 415x554px
>New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine all 5 or under
>Mountain west all 7 and above

OP probably just sits behind his computer all day jerkin it over the Wiki articles and Summitposts for mountains with 8k+ elevation like >>1053484 this guy
>>
>>1053078
Found the Odessa fag.
>>
>>1053606
This does look like it's been made by someone from CA. Although I live in Southern California, and I would rate it less based on liberals and gun laws.
>>
>>1053638
I know. Based on laws I'd rate more than a few of those differently. But based on pure beauty, the midwest is seriously underrated and how Hawaii isn't a fucking 11/10 I don't know.
>>
Michigan being that low is fucking retarded and whoever ranked it thinks just Detroit.

The state surrounded by the largest bodies of fresh water isn't /out/? Tons of public lands and hunting opportunities. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1053644
Michigan state law - you can go anywhere a fence doesn't stop you from going
>>
>>1053644 <<< this comment was written before detroit was abandoned any way
>>
>>1053637

Golden Crescent, try again. There ain't shit in Odessa-Midland unless you work oilfield. Otherwise, you're just passing through on your way to Big Sky Country.
>>
>>1052139
Do you need to get a permit before going on lakes in .ca. Like if I want to go to lake blah blah in Cali do I need to get a special permit just for that lake
>>
>>1053632
>thinks 8k is high
wew lad I know you don't get out much but this is just embarassing
>>
>>1053692
No
>>
>>1053687
If you can not find /out/ activates in the golden crescent then you are not looking.
>>
File: 1490392354977.jpg (440KB, 602x748px) Image search: [Google]
1490392354977.jpg
440KB, 602x748px
>>1053704
It's high to east coast fags. According to
>>1053613
more than 99.5 % of them have no interest in climbing mountains anyway.
>>
>>1053708
What about hiking trails or rafting do you need permits for any of that stuff
>>
>>1053726
Honestly I'd say less than 1/1000 people in america have any interest in mountaineering. How many people have you met in your life that said hey I wanna go climb a mountain. Assuming it's not a group of people whom are affiliated specifically through "mountaineering". Which btw is actually just a meme of an outdoor activity.

More than likely someone that decides to climb a mountain is actually just seeking recognition as being "outdoorsy" as opposed to having a lifestyle affiliated with nature.

I.e. california/hippy
>>
>>1053734
The question one must ask themselves is this. Am I in nature if I am walking a path that is dedicated as or evolved into the nature path.

If there is a path that has been walked so many times that it's lower than the ground around it by people. Is it nature or is it meme.
>>
File: 1471077108315.jpg (2MB, 1623x1945px) Image search: [Google]
1471077108315.jpg
2MB, 1623x1945px
>>1053734
Y-yes, it's just a m-meme for c-c-california hippies ;_;
>>
>>1053735
The question you should ask is why you are so butthurt about New York
>>
File: DSC_3655c_1c0003.jpg (2MB, 1920x1282px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3655c_1c0003.jpg
2MB, 1920x1282px
>>1053734
>How many people have you met in your life that said hey I wanna go climb a mountain.
I live in WA, so I'd say about 20-30 people outside of mountaineering.

>More than likely someone that decides to climb a mountain is actually just seeking recognition as being "outdoorsy" as opposed to having a lifestyle affiliated with nature.
>NAME THREE SONGS BY NATURE WITHOUT USING GOOGLE
>HAH THOUGHT SO
>>
>>1053734
>Which btw is actually just a meme of an outdoor activity.

TIL doing something in the outdoors isn't an outdoor activity.
>>
>>1053734
Dozens, because I actually go outside and interact with people who have similar interests to me.
>>
>>1053747
I think what your actually saying is that you met a dozen people on the designated path that just so happened to be on a hill that was created by means of two tectonic plates rubbing together
>>
>>1053752
It's hilarious how you seem to think the western US has a higher concentration of people going /out/ than NY does.
>>
>>1053745
Yea your right we just have higher standards.

An outdoor activity to you is smoking pot while walking the "mountain" trail.

It's just a little different where I come from.

Didn't mean to offend the "outdoorsmen" in here.
>>
>>1053754
Going /out/. Is that the nature paths n stuff. Like the three mile loops you guys do over there in Cali.
>>
>>1053754
I dont think that but, only because those variables are simply not relevant for me to comprehend nor do I understand why that would be funny. Thank you though
>>
>>1052139
Iowa & South Dakota here.
We don't have a manicured /out/s that your higher ranking states have but there is seclusion. Especially in the black hills but also in Iowa. It's overgrown and low maintenance but there are treasures. Currently the elderberry is in flower along with many other medicinals and edibles. I haven't traveled the states much but Iowa is definitely not a zero we get city idiots out paying for our deer and turkey hunts seasonally and the mushroom blooms of our oak forests are vast. I'm glad its a secret though. You keep ranking us zero. That's fine. I'll keep the fruits of this land to myself. IA>SD btw... Unless you like open sterile tundra/prairie, useless inedible lodge-pole pine forest, and un-hikeable rock.
>>
>>1053776
Damned good use of the word manicured.
Cheerio, m8
>>
File: kica5811.jpg (93KB, 576x392px) Image search: [Google]
kica5811.jpg
93KB, 576x392px
>>1053780
meant this.
I don't proof read 4chan.
>>
File: iowa.jpg (215KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
iowa.jpg
215KB, 1024x768px
>>1053782
Mine look like this.
>>
File: DSC_3855c.jpg (511KB, 1400x935px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3855c.jpg
511KB, 1400x935px
>>1053760
>An outdoor activity to you is smoking pot while walking the "mountain" trail.

I really don't ever smoke weed outdoors. Glacier travel is pretty dangerous as-is, the last thing I'd want when self-arresting a rope-team fall is to be slowed down by being high. Why are you so angry about what I do in the outdoors, anyway? What kind of angry faggot do you have to be to look at pic related and think "yeah, he's not REALLY outdoors!" How sour are your grapes?
>>
>>1053829
The kind that looks at this photo and knows that the people involved in this photo are not the same ones that are in the conversation. This is just some silly picture someone got off google images.
And what in God's name is glacier travel
>>
>>1053829
You didn't notice that the sun is coming from practically every angle in this photo.
>>
>>1053833
the divide between people who /out/ for a reason and people who /out/ for the "experience"
>>
>>1052548
>Acadia is one the most impressive places Ive ever been to

I take it you've never been to the AMerican West? Acadia is ok but wouldn't even be a park if it were out West.
>>
File: ur ded kid.jpg (383KB, 1210x559px) Image search: [Google]
ur ded kid.jpg
383KB, 1210x559px
>>1053833
>This is just some silly picture someone got off google images.
But that's where you're wrong.
>>
>>1053836
>rating others' personal experience.
>>
>>1053740
>>NAME THREE SONGS BY NATURE WITHOUT USING GOOGLE
I'd like to appreciate this for a minute.
>>
>>1053839

Nope...rating my own...
Does the leader know that you're out of your safe space this late at night?
>>
>>1053740
is love part of nature? because I can name like thirty fleetwood mac songs.
>>
>>1053637
>Found the Odessa fag

Nothing to bring out the offended homers like a state-by-state /out ranking system.
>>
>>1053838
But muh derp derp scenery
>>
File: DSC_5880.jpg (447KB, 1920x1282px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5880.jpg
447KB, 1920x1282px
>>1053856
>hating on the glorious outdoors

What an angry motherfucker you are.
>>
>>1053833
>And what in God's name is glacier travel

>>1053834
>You didn't notice that the sun is coming from practically every angle in this photo.

more niggers who never been /out/

>>1053187
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/glaciated
>glaciated (ˈɡleJsJˌeJtJd)
>adj
>(Geological Science) covered with glaciers or masses of ice

eat a dick
>>
Hood and Rainier have more prominence than any of your sierras or ironingracks, this makes them cooler. Our forests also shit on all others
>>
File: feather peak.jpg (224KB, 912x684px) Image search: [Google]
feather peak.jpg
224KB, 912x684px
>>1053858
damn, son! what was your line past THOSE angry motherfuckers?

i gave snow a solid chance last month, but i pretty much hate it. gonna stick with being a 3 season sissy.
>>
>>1053866
I'm coming up from norcal to climb Hood this season, hbu?
>>
>>1053870
hoodfriend here. Already a bit late in the season, but when you do it I would heavily suggest you do it mid-week. You gonna do it in a one day or two?
>>
>>1053870
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
>>1053866
oh, good, prominancefag is back.
>>
>>1053872
well, where do you suggest I go then?
>>
>>1053878
Stay in cali?

Alternatively try idaho or montana, I hear Missoula is quite hip nowadays.
>>
>>1053866
>Hood and Rainier have more prominence than any of your sierras or ironingracks, this makes them cooler

Ute Mountain in Colorado, at 9984 feet has the 8th greatest prominence of only mountain in the state. So by your logic, I guess that makes it a cooler mountain than the 54 or so fourteeners in the state, not to mention the hundreds of 12 and 13 thousand foot peaks.

Prominence isn't everything Anon.
>>
>>1053885
>8th greatest prominence of any mountain in the state
>Prominence 4,039 ft

>mount baker
>Prominence 8,812 ft

eat shit
>>
>>1053885
I wasnt talking shit about colorado? in fact I do believe i mentioned only california and ny.
>>
>>1053892
>>1053883
>>1053872
Who hurt you?
>>
>>1053866
>Hood and Rainier have more prominence than any of your sierras

Mt Whitney Sierra Nevada California 10,080 ft
Mt Hood Cascade Oregon 7,706 ft
>>
>>1052139
>vt
>nh
>maine
>all below 6
WHY
>>
>>1053894
I'm just a little on edge because my safe places have been invaded by rainbow and country fair fucks for the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>1053763
You realize that California has much bigger, more remote, and less traveled areas than anywhere east of the Mississippi, right?
>>
>>1053834
No, the sun's coming from the east because it's sunrise you fucking mong.
>>
>>1053763
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail
>The Pacific Crest Trail is 2,659 mi (4,279 km) long[1] and ranges in elevation from just above sea level at the Oregon–Washington border to 13,153 feet (4,009 m)[3] at Forester Pass in the Sierra Nevada. The route passes through 25 national forests and 7 national parks.[7] Its midpoint is near Chester, California (near Mt. Lassen), where the Sierra and Cascade mountain ranges meet.[8]
>3 mile loops
>>
>>1053907
Muir woods is paved you retard
>>
>The Natural State
>3
>>
>>1053916
So is Central Park
>>
File: 20170707166961549.jpg (453KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
20170707166961549.jpg
453KB, 1553x1202px
>>1052139
Fixed it.
>>
>>1053931
>still didnt fix Alabama
>>
>>1053935
I only fixed the states I know should be upgraded. I don't know shit about Alabama. If you think it's worth upgrading, get to workin' on v4.0 lol.
>>
>>1053931
cali should be 0.
>>
Every state without any mountains over 10,000' should be a 0
>>
>>1053087
Because it fucking sucks?
There is literally nothing in this state but niggers and crime. There is like all of two places to go in Maryland and that part of Maryland might as well be West Virginia. and both of those places are littered with camping trailer- trailer parks
I want out of this state ASAP
>>
>>1053907
Yea, right biddy... I know.

California is just a coveted destination for hunting, camping, hiking, etc... herp derp m-muh mountain trabel
>>
>>1053915
You literally need a permit to walk this trail. I forget if you need a permit for going into the "nature" areas or out. Its also managed by the road commission in some spots.
>>
>>1053959

I can look out my window and see a few 13,000 and a dozen or so 12,000 peaks, but you are just being silly...
>>
File: Missing The Point.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Missing The Point.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>>1053889

You can't be that fucking retarded...but I guess you really are....
>>
>>1053873
>oh, good, prominancefag is back.

He is something isn't he? lol
>>
>>1053892
>I wasnt talking shit about colorado?

I never said that you were.
I was simply trying to point out that your allegiance to prominence as a major indicator of, let's call it "worthiness" of a mountain, is silly.
>>
>>1053903
>because my safe places have been invaded

Oh boy, here we go...
>>
>>1053931

Maine is way too high.
You really believe it is better out than Arizona or New Mexico? and equal to Wyoming?
This is just being ridiculous...
>>
>>1054026

Great that you are acknowledging this fact...
Maybe there's still hope for you.
>>
>>1053833
what

>>1053835
what

>>1053858
what

I can't follow this dialectic at all.

>>1053907
shhh. don't tell them.

>>1054029
Yeah, the PCT is not a particularly good example.
>>
>>1054029
You need a permit for the AT as well
>>
>>1052170
East and South.
/Out/ists HATE the South.

Also,
>Alaska isn't a 10
If it's not, then nothing can be and the scale ratings should stop at wherever Alaska is.
>>
>>1052204
>waah, but it's not fucking heaven on earth!
Every place anywhere will have its downsides.
Nevertheless, Alaska has THE MOST /out/ opportunities. be it hiking, fishing, hunting, canoeing, mountaineering, or winter sports. And much of the state literally has no one around for miles.
If it's not a 10, nothing can be.
>>
>>1054165

no you fucking don't, stop spreading FUD

https://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/fees.htm

>The Appalachian Trail is free for all to enjoy. No fees, memberships, or permits are required to walk on the Trail. However, the A.T. passes through numerous state and national parks, forests and public lands, a few of which charge fees or require permits or reservations to park or to stay overnight in shelters or campsites. Below is a list of where some permits and fees are charged.
>>
>>1054200
https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/
>Some places on the Pacific Crest Trail require camping permits. Generally, an overnight permit is required in National Forest Wilderness Areas, National Parks and California State Parks. Many places on the Pacific Crest Trail do not require a permit.

Sounds similar to me senpai
>>
>>1054084
tl;dr
guy 1: you didn't take that pic
guy 2: yes I did
guy 1: w-well pictures are stupid
guy 2: fuck off angry faggot
>>
>>1054207
Ah, so looks like you don't need a permit to hike the PCT either senpai?
>>
>>1052438
That's because we're not talking about methamphetamine and opioid usage.

>>1053087
Small, crowded, doesn't have the sheer variety of terrain that larger states do, and proximity to Baltimore, Philly and D.C.

Those are the bigger points.

>>1053907
Point of order: California is full of Californians.
This alone should knock its rating down 4 points.
>>
Why does it even matter if you need to sort out a bit of permits for either trail? It's not hard to do m8s...
>>
File: DSC_1092.jpg (729KB, 1920x757px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1092.jpg
729KB, 1920x757px
>>1054211
I've hiked large stretches of it without any sort of permit, but every section is different.
>>
>>1053727
Yes you need a permission slip signed by your parents or legal guardian.
>>
>>1054217
>Point of order: California is full of Californians.
>This alone should knock its rating down 4 points.
Kill yourself dumb /pol/nigger
>>
/fit/ fag here, new to /out/.
What do you guys think about Indiana? If you can get past the laws and people here it's pretty beautiful if you go to the right places. Tons of free camping and "resource areas." I've been living in my fifth wheel at a cheap RV park and it's been pretty cool, but I had a really bad encounter that really made me want to get out of here on the fourth.
>Go kayaking with gf and friend for hours, going down channels, smoking weed on the water, and exploring.
>Go back to RV because it's storming like crazy.
>Soaking wet, light up a joint.
>Ten minutes later someone bangs on the door.
>Drunk off duty cop from another county flashes a badge, lets himself and three goons that were not cops into my camper.
>Very hostel, searches some stuff, while threatening to arrest us.
We ended up letting him take our grinders which is all we had. The county I live in is probably the worst county in the country when it comes to marijuana, so the only way to get out of this situation without jail was to stay calm and let this drunk mother fucker go through our shit. It was a huge reality check for me. I love all the nature, kayaking, walking trails and low population, but there's something seriously wrong with this state and it's laws/people. I'm very conflicted now.
>>
>>1054223
You may hate me, but I'm not wrong.
>>
>>1054231
You are wrong. I'm not even from California but it's easily one of the top /out/ states in the lower 48 and at least 3 points higher than anything in the east.
>>
>>1054234
It's not. And the people do limit it's score because they make laws limiting what you can do /out/
>>
>>1054241
Like what?
>>
>>1052139
>Oklahoma is 0
Of course
>>
I think Georgia deserves at least a 6
>>
>>1052139
map ranker is a fucking tard. Apparrently out means you have to drive for days to get to a destination, only elevation ranks, and deserts must be fairly important.

You have no clue what /out/ is, your bait rankings are invalid.
>>
>>1054325
I'd say we probably too out around a 5.5 or 6.
There's a lot to do, but very little of it is "experience of a lifetime"-tier.
We have saltwater fishing, but not much, and Florida is right next door.
We have freshwater fishing like nobody's business.
We have hunting but mostly for deer, and they aren't very big.
We have some of the AT for hiking, but not many very scenic parts.
We have mountains but they're not very tall, and people are in every nook and cranny of them.
So yeah we have a lot, but it's a lot of mid-tier experiences.
Very few people travel from around the world to see Tallulah Gorge or fish the Okeefenokee Swamp. Or at least that number is much less than the people who go to see Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, the Smoky Mountains, or fish the Florida Keys.
>>
>>1054222
Nah man from the department of resources. Google it bro.

Or the department of parks whatever commiefornia calls it.

You guys have the most man made nature areas of any state
>>
>colorado fags butthurt about their glorified hills
>>
>>1054440
What exactly are you talking about
>>
I moved to Ohio a few months ago.

Is there really nothing to do here?
>>
>>1053057
Nothing wrong here, just reenacting In Da Club.
>>
>tfw Ohioan in Idaho
>tfw have to go back to Ohio in a month
;_;
>>
>>1054200
>no you fucking don't, stop spreading FUD
Than why do I have them from when I did sections last year?
>>
>>1054200
>no you fucking don't
>Below is a list of where some permits and fees are charged
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1055173
Leave him alone you bully. He's just a kid who thinks a cheeseburger and fries at McDonald's is aN Appalachian trail fee
>>
>>1052139
>living in Illinois
>go to college in Iowa

Well banking on the idea I get a good job so I can move to some /out/ approved states. Maine sounds really interesting.
>>
>>1054965
There's a ton of shit to do in Ohio. It's just that the guy who originally devised the map is a mountain climbing fag, and Ohio doesn't have mountains.
Most of the South was either a 0 or a 1 originally, IIRC. They just either had no idea, or it was meant to troll people.
>>
>>1055641
Ohio sucks, and is just about the only state on the map deserving of a shit score.
>>
>tfw just got back from west coast
>tfw horribly depressed from the endless suburbia and shopping malls of the east coast
>tfw can barely get out of bed or eat
>tfw avoiding contact, ducking friends, and not spending time with family
This is when I realized that it is this shitty environment that is causing/caused me to be a neet and shut in for all these years
>>
>>1052139
Wisconsin. ranking a 5.
I mean, were not that cool everything seems to be owned. But once you get to a state forest its forest, not crazy boreal forest, just deep woods. depends what your doing i guess. Atleast were not flatlanders.
>>
missouri is so much fun. lots of rivers, tons of caves, the motherfuckin ozarks and the weird hill people who dwell therein
>>
>>1056542
Can't even imagine how much better the world would be if everyone had easy access to wilderness.
>>
>>1052139
Montana, Idaho, Wymoing. I wouldn't live in any other state.
>>
>>1052276
Californiafag here, grew up in Arkansas. Arkansas is underrated for /out/ stuff.
>>
>>1055641
Until you've seen alpine valleys and lakes, roaring rivers from snow still melting in July, and have areas that are genuinely dangerous all over the place to hike most months of the year, you don't know what you are missing. It seems like things are good there to you, but honestly it's just not that interesting once you've been to real amazing areas.
>>
File: 1499536074083.jpg (89KB, 570x385px) Image search: [Google]
1499536074083.jpg
89KB, 570x385px
Why all the Northeast hate?
>>
>>1058227
People not aware of the Adirondacks I guess
>>
>>1058227
Everything good about the Northeast, the West does better, this map is very generous to the Northeast, putting Maine, New Hampshire and North Carolina only a point lower than Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii. The gap should be far bigger.
>>
>>1058383

This guy speaks the truth.
>>
>>1058383
Having lived extensively in both:

Yep.
>>
>>1054230
>If you can get past the laws and people here it's pretty beautiful if you go to the right places.
Fellow Hoosierfag here. You summed it up beautifully. The state is pretty enough, pot laws are bullshit (and unlikely to change until federal law changes, courtesy of Eli Lilly), people are backwards as fuck and generally stupid. Bible Belt problems. What county you in? Putnam here.
>>
>>1053237
This x1000
>>
>>1053237

>most of it you have to take a bush plane to, if you can even access it

Dumb argument. In Alaska or Idaho or Montana there are thousands of places people can't get to without extraordinary effort but what counts are the places you can get to and if you live in new York those are very limited whereas the states I mentioned you can go somewhere new every week and never run out. But you are probably a yuppie so you need everything commercialized
>>
>>1058529

You can get close in those other states, you wont get anywhere close in Alaska without a plane or a boat.

t. Alaskan
>>
>>1054192
U r describing Wisconsin?
>>
>>1058581
>You need a plane to get out in Alaska

t retard
>>
>>1053829
Nice pic anon
>>
>>1058628
95%+ of Alaska is not accessible without a plane or boat, faggot.
>>
>>1058662
More like 80%
In any case, 10% of Alaska is still a larger area than any eastern state
>>
>>1058665
True
>>
>>1053449
>>1053451
>>1053484
>>1054072

ive never hiked in the ADK, but ive hiked in the white mountains of NH a decent amount(they're very similar, with the whites being slightly more difficult terrain wise) and can say with 99% certainty you would have trouble hiking/climbing in this area. don't judge the mountains by the height alone.

with that said, this picture is wrong...NH, NY, VT, and ME all should be several points higher. Maine is literally all forest and houses the northern terminus of the AT (katahdin...) and even has a desert, also ACADIA. NY has the adirondaks. NH has the FUCKING White Mountains... VT ive heard is only just OK but still the majority of it is forest and a few good mountain hikes.

whoever made the pic has never been to the northeast
>>
>>1058689

Funny how when an Easterner talks about /out all you ever here about is their mountains. You don't realize that the West has mountains that blow away the mountains in the East, plus it has hardcore deserts, canyonlands, grasslands, etc. What do you have in the East to compare to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion or Bryce? I've bee to Acadia--cute little park but I never had the feeling I was ever really in the wilderness, when I wasn't having to battle the mosquitoes. Do you realize there are parks and national monuments in the West that by themselves are larger than some Eastern states! The Navajo Reservation, which is more /out than any state east of the Mississippi, is larger than West Virginia. And yes, much of the res is available with a permit for /out. To make a long story short, yes, there are nice /out places back East, including all of West Virginia, but you simply do not have the variety of landscapes and terrains in the East that are available in the West. It's really not even a matter of discussion if you are being honest with yourself. I grew up in Western PA and travelled throughout much of the East. I have now spent 24 years in the Southwest. SO I have quite a few years in both places. Again--you just don't have the variety of terrain that the West has. THe shoreline of Lake Powell is TWICE AS LONG AS THE PACIFIC SHORELINE OF CALIFORNIA. Enjoy where you are, but do not make the mistake of believing that it compares with the West. Spend a month of your life out West and see for yourself. People don't come from all over the world to visit the Adirondacks or White Mtns or Acadia. They do come from all over the world to /out in the West. No reason to be bitter over it. As for Katahdin, I ascended it about 8 years ago and could not believe how easy it was. This was mostly due to the elevation factor. I don't remember myself panting at all during the ascent. ELEVATION MATTERS.
>>
File: Great Gallery 01.jpg (582KB, 2133x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Great Gallery 01.jpg
582KB, 2133x1025px
>>1058911

Oh, did I neglect to mention the hundreds of thousands of archeological sites that are /out in the West? Tell me where you're going to see a site like this back East?
>>
This thread blows dogs for quarters
>>
Rocky Mountains best mountains.
>>
>>1059108
t. butthurt northeast fag
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-13-16-38-18.png (777KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-13-16-38-18.png
777KB, 1080x1920px
>>1059297
Damn, ya got me!
>>
>>1058911
>>1058915
if you read my post i never once compared the east to the west. and people do come from all over the world to hike/see the whites. ive met many people from europe and some parts of canada while hiking in the whites, who went out of their way to NH to see the whites

if you read my post again youll see i simply stated some states in the northeast deserve a higher rating...

as for you not panting at all while ascending katahdin..good for you, i'm sure any average joe can ascend katahdin in 7 hours, nice easy slow paced ascent.
>>
File: 1492861944582.jpg (454KB, 1600x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1492861944582.jpg
454KB, 1600x1094px
>>1059255
checked
>>
>>1053931
>Colorado: literally cannot go anywhere without 100 people within a mile
>8
>>
>>1059422
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38%C2%B050'03.2%22N+106%C2%B038'42.6%22W/@38.834215,-106.645181,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d38.834215!4d-106.645181

You really think there are 100 people within a mile of here?
>>
>>1058911
>>Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Zion or Bryce?

The Adirondack park is larger than all of those combined.

I've been to Zion. It's just a bunch of orange rocks. There's not much there to do.
>>
>>1059450
Wyoming is ten times bigger than Adirondack park and has less than half the population density.
>>
>>1059361
>Helena
May as well be an east coast faggot, that town is cancer
>>
>>1059461
Wyoming is 10 times larger and a thousand times worse. There's nothing there. It is the least populated state for a reason. It fucking sucks.

It's like Nebraska with less people.
>>
File: 1492069272061.jpg (4MB, 3648x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1492069272061.jpg
4MB, 3648x2048px
>>1059478
Wait, which part of Nebraska looks like this again?
>>
>>1059462
Shit man. That cuts deep.
>>
>>1059478
The Rocky Mountain parts of Wyoming are 10/10, glad noone lives here it's the best kept secret in the country.
>>
>>1059495
Yeah nobody knows about Yellowstone or Grand Teton. Or Jackson Hole.
>>
>>1059480
C'mon you know what he meant. He meant that some parts of Wyoming are like something else so Wyoming sucks. Learn to read between the lines autist
>>
Georgia should be at least a 5 for the okefenokee alone.
>>
>>1059516
Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho trifecta is gods land.

Stay out.
>>
>>1054230
>>1058469
Another Hoosierfag I'm in Marion but from Jasper, just getting into /out/ were do you guys go I've been to Hoosier national forest and up and down the Tippie but other than that I have no idea were to go. Any tips would be appreciated
>>
>>1052139
>Iowa 0
no one here has ever been to Iowa clearly. Iowa has some beautiful scenery especially eastern Iowa which is also right on the Mississippi. not to mention we have some of the largest bucks in the country.
>>
>>1052139
>California 8
>Maine 5
everywhere in Cali has a fence and a "$6,000,000 max fine" sign on it. Can't even walk off the path in the Lost Goddamn Coast. It was breathtakingly beautiful before Californians got to it, though.

Maine however is amazing. Not on par with Alaska but northern Maine probably beats Oregon (as much as I love OR.) And who in hell rates Vermont a 4?
>>
>>1053644
The Lower Peninsula sucks for /out/ stuff.

It's all clear cut farmland. The corn belt is so damn boring, at least other parts of the country are huge forests or deserts with mountain ranges.
>>
>>1059625
Born, raised and still live in Montana
Doubt that's the case with you
>>
>>1059827
Wtf I hate that other guy now, you are cool will you be my efriend? Please respond
>>
>>1059864
Maybe, how easily do you give up the bussy?
>>
>>1052139
>Michigan
>Only a four
Whoever made this has never been to Michigan, I wuldn't tolerate anything less than a six. Also, as a native Hoosier, I think Indiana deserves a higher score. It's a pretty mixed bag, with Southern Indiana having loads of forests and foothils, but I also enjoy Northern Indiana's chill kayacking.
>>
>>1052139
I think we can all agree to demote Connecticut to 0
>>
Not an american but i'm wondering how come places like Maine, Vermont, Connecticut are so poorly rated? they look cozy as fuck to go hiking/camping in... while barren deserts seem awful
>>
>>1060011
Maine and Vermont are nice but in Connecticut there's not a whole lot of space to get out. A lot of privately owned property and smaller state parks mean that /out/ opportunities past day hikes aren't available in-state. At least we have a piece of the AT
>>
File: 34db028036.jpg (790KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
34db028036.jpg
790KB, 2000x1333px
>>1060011
Only to the untrained, plebeian eye
>>
>>1059827
Born in Wyoming, raised in Montana, lived in Colorado and Alaska, now live in Wyoming.
>>
>>1052139
Map is pretty accurate.
>>
>>1059690
>everywhere in Cali has a fence and a "$6,000,000 max fine"
California has 81,187.58 km2 of National Forest, land which you are free to dispersed camp, shoot, recreate, really do whatever you want. Maine in total is only 91,646 km2, and only 1% of the state is Public land, so around 1000 km2. They aren't anywhere near the same level, a 5 is extremely generous for Maine. Sorry you didn't have a good time on your hike when you visited your aunt in Burbank.
>>
>>1060021
you do realize the redeeming qualities in that image are the trees and water, right?
>>
>>1060191
>free
You have to pay to so much as scratch your ass in Cali. A $5 parking fee and a $12 adult day-pass to a park I have to drive 3.5 hours to reach doesn't feel too free.

The Sierras do have some free trails, but many of them are technically illegal to be on or routinely locked off. Even hiking can be sketchy, as many trails pass arbitrarily through private property (forests are often a gay-ass literal checkerboard-pattern of private and public, or Park and non-Park, or something). Or worse, a mining claim that's either a paranoid miner or a drughead, both of whom are ready to shoot.

All trails in California require your vehicle to be heavily certified, even a plated dirtbike is not enough to be legal, you have to pay extra shekels for the State to recognize your bike as not a literal flamethrower ready to torch the Sierras.

The other cancer on Cali parks is the accessibility meme. You can't make a natural beauty wheelchair-accessible or drive-up -- but California sure does try.
>>
>>1060218
Everything in your post is wrong. Where did the mean Californian touch you?
>>
>>1052139
>montana being anything but 10
>>
>>1060263
There is a reason why Californians are moving to Montana after they have fucked up their state.
>>
>>1054350

Plus areas of the Chattahoochee Forest are pretty nice. I got two areas I frequent in different districts of the forest that are nice and remote. Plus rather scenic.
>>
>>1052536
No it isn't.
>>
>>1060196

go back to your cookie-cutter forests
>>
>>1052536
this, there are so many mountains and waterfalls
>>
>>1052139
At least people on the internet can appreciate Idaho, I get looked at like a dipshit when I say it's one of the best states
>>
>>1060657
Idaho sucks, stay away normies.
>>
>>1060729
t. Jethro """ from""" Hayden
>>
>>1060196
The beauty is in the contrast, moron
>>
>>1060754
Problem with Hayden you Boise faggot?
>>
It is a my wilderness is better than yours thread
Never thought this would be a thing, 4chan really takes the cake with this one.
I have seen quite a bit of 'muh x is better than yours' on this site...homes, cars, guns, universities, majors...but this is just really cringe worthy.
You faggots are just so contrary to everything that you dismissing photos of stunning places.
Christ kill yourselves
>>
At least Kansas is correct in everyone's maps
>>
>>1061310
It's only true if you are a rootless cosmopolitan faggot living in Wichita who wants to go camping in the mountains on labor day. The rest of the state there are communities and lots of people are living an out door lifestyle instead of living in a cube and larping once a month . And the land comes in 160 acre chunks so while it might look boring as you drive by in your Prius there are creeks and springs and ponds and wildlife . Kys you boring pretentious pleb
>>
>>1061318
>kansas fags this devastated
top kek
Enjoy your pancake loser
>>
>>1061214
>T. Newfag
Fuck off. This map is old as hell. You wouldn't know that though cause you're a faggot from reddit.
>>
>>1059790
>It's all clear cut farmland.
That only applies to about 1/4 of the LP. Once you get north of the Saginaw Bay you're up north. The soil is more sandy and farms are practically non existent.
>>
>>1061214
Let's be real here, Nebraska wilderness sucks dick.
>>
>>1061903
>t. bonelet

The truth hurts doesn't it
>>
>>1060267
I'd bet that more native Montanians have moved to California than the reverse. In fact, I'd bet every state that bitches about Californian's moving into their state is sending more natives there than they receive.
>>
>>1052139
Iowa sucks so hard for /out/. Went to Utah recently tho
>>
>>1061318
>creeks and springs and ponds and wildlife
Oh wow, Kansas is certainly the only state with those, better give it a 10.
>>
>>1052139
These rankings seem extremely arbitrary.
>>
>>1052139
Stupid eurofag here.

I had to look up the low scoring places, was expecting some Mad Maxian wasteland full of shit and paved surfaces, McDonalds logos and other trash all over. To my surprise, not so. Seems to be quite beautiful scenery all over.

Why is Nebraska 0?
And North Dakota a 3?
>>
>>1062094
>>1062025
>>1061967
>>1061903
>>1061310
Samefag desperate for (you)s
>>
>>1060218
This is 100% bullshit
>>
>>1061318
I lived in Kansas for 9 years. 8 in Lawrence, 1 in Wichita. It's a shithole for outdoor activities, with the one exception being catfish fishing. It's stellar for that. The Kansas river near Lawrence was great for hauling in moooonster cats.

The only thing preventing Kansas from being ok is just a lack of trails, campsites, and infrastructure around natural stuff. I guess it's fine for those of us that bother to research stuff, but there are very few long trails at all.
>>
>>1062166
plains states, generally just flat and boring.
moreso nebraska than dakota
>>
>>1062166
every state has some cool natural areas and landmarks. it's just the amount of these areas is extremely low in those plains states. They consist of: agricultural land, and nothingness. look at a satellite view of them on google maps, you can even see from there
>>
>>1062536
>>1062166
to add on, most of habitat/natural area destruction is for purpose of agriculture; cities and towns (paved surfaces/trash) take up proportionally a tiny amount of land in the glorious US of A

SO many fucken farms I cant even comprehend the amount of farms
Thread posts: 270
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.