[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /out/, first time poster here. I´m planning a trip by foot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1480234121885.jpg (28KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
1480234121885.jpg
28KB, 500x353px
Hi /out/, first time poster here.

I´m planning a trip by foot from Austria to Norway, and while I have the route and equipment basically ready I wanted to ask you guys if you had any tips, recommendations, experience with this sort of voyage.
Maybe my timespan is fucked, maybe I forgot some most important gear, I don´t know, I thought you guys were a good source for asking about this kind of stuff.

Info about the trip.
It´s going to start from Kitzbühel (Austria) to Hamburg, over Kopenhagen and will end in Oslo. I´m planning for around 6-8 months duration.

Info about me.
I´m 23, male, starting next year probably around April or May I don´t want to get into polar winter when fucking around in skandinavian swamps. I have military experience and gear for long by foot travel.

I´m also going to ask /k/ and /trv/ which are two boards I haven´t used before too, yeah good times.

Thank you /out/.

>TL;DR OP wants to go from Austria to Norway by foot and is asking for advice.
>>
>>1051362
I´ll just do as the sticky tells me, and bump from time to time.
>>
>>1051535
What do you want to know specifically? I mean I never hiked that long, my top's 250km but my advice is pack light and take care of your feet. Really, take care of your feet. If you're a former milfag you probably are in decent shape so there's not much to it, at the end of the day is just walking.
>>
>>1051537

I thought that, maybe someone has experience with north german/skandinavian terrain on this board, if there is some wierd stuff I am not used to for example. Maybe someone knows of regions to surely visit or not. Just general stuff really. Maybe also some "be sure to bring x, y and z on your journey cause this is some insider shit everyone who doesn´t visit /out/ forgets all the time.
>>
>>1051548
>Maybe someone knows of regions to surely visit or not
Well I definitely can't help you with that but I'll continue lurking the thread and maybe do an occasional bump, /out/ is pretty slow other than a couple general threads. Also make sure to post here when you finish your trip, godspeed anon.
>>
>>1051555
Sure that, I´ll be keeping a journal and releasing it too. Maybe in german and english.
Also, /k/ has already abandoned me after only telling me "you want a gun".
And /trv/ still said nothing except for debating wether or not I´ll be too slow.
>>
>>1051566
>Sure that, I´ll be keeping a journal and releasing it too.
Cool stuff.

>Also, /k/ has already abandoned me after only telling me "you want a gun"
Lel, typical /k/ but tbf is an weapons board so it's not unexpected to hear that from them. I actually searched for your thread on catalog but couldn't find it.

Hang around /out/ and some decent advice may pop-up, there are some thru hiker anons here and also many scandis so they'll probably hook you up with some tips.
>>
>>1051362
Hey OP, I started walking from Phoenix, AZ to New York City (~3,000 miles) in May, and I'm about to reach Albuquerque by Friday.

Biggest tip: Forget the backpack and bring a small cart of some kind. You're walking on paved roads, you might as well take advantage of it and save your knees and feet the pain. I went about 100 miles before getting a four-wheel handcart, and it was the best decision I made. I still have the backpack if I want to go hiking or something, but for travel I pull the cart behind me. Plus, since you have wheels, you can carry all kinds of luxuries to make it the experience less draining on you. Walking for 8-12 hours a day, every day, is TOUGH.

>Always carry wetwipes. A clean asshole is one of the road's greatest feelings.
>Make sure your headlamp is at least 300 lumens. When you walk at night or in the evening, you want cars to see you from as far away as possible.
>Put reflective tape on your cart/backpack so you're hard to miss.
>Say hello or wave at damn near everyone. All kinds of people will stop and give you water/food/money/free rides.
>Talk to everyone you meet. "Hey I'm anon, I'm walking to Norway." People will practically throw themselves at you to help out and be a part of your adventure.
>Write down the names of everyone who helps you out. Trust me, it'll come in handy in the future.
>Ditch sunscreen and simply wear clothes that cover all your skin.
>Even though you're walking all the time, EXERCISE whenever you take a rest day.
>On that note, you're going to need more rest days than you think you will. Save money accordingly for all the hotel stays you'll be doing.
>Carry a stout oak walking staff. It's a formidable weapon in its own right, and will come in handy for all kinds of uses.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, ask me some questions and I'll try to answer them.
>>
>>1051687
I remember your thread, how is it going? Did you fugg any qt already?
>>
>>1051689
I didn't start a thread, but it's going great! I've had to hitchhike more than I would have liked, due to dangerous mountain roads, and the Interstate Highway system being an unavoidable obstacle, but so far it's been the adventure of a lifetime.

But it's also been incredibly lonely. For whatever reason, young people don't respond to what I'm doing. The only people that engage in conversation or go out of their way to meet me are old people whose youth was in the 60's and 70's. It's like my generation has forgotten their sense of adventure. So no, sorry bro, I have not fugged any qt's.
>>
>>1051695
>I didn't start a thread
Well, I could swear you did, don't you have an youtube channel and wear a sombrero on a couple videos?

Also pretty cool experience, young people are too busy doing nothing so they have no time to others that try to do something nice and different. But your time will come mate, some nice qt will fuck you along the way. ;)
>>
>>1051687
Hey, just got up an hour ago.
First, impressive travel you have chosen, that´s almost twice the distance from mine.
Second, thank you for your tips, especially the headlight is something I honestly would not even have brought.
The thing with the wetwipes too.
When coming to the cart that´s not really going to be possible for starting out in alpine regions I know and walking through the vast green spaces of Germany most of the time.
The exercise is something I really can´t forget.

Solid advice there, thank you. Good luck with your voyage and all this fucking qts stuff you got ahead of you.

Also, i really would love to hear more from your journey.
>>
>>1051548

Here is a jumble of points.

Are you hiking over land via Denmark then Sweden then Norway?

I guess you are hiking since the alternative is a boat from Denmark to Norway since that does not sound like hiking.

Denmark is pretty flat and windy so get a windproof layer. The west coast of Sweden has lot of smaller archipelago and ticks - get vaccinated early against TBE and carry tick tools. You could even paddle up the coast.

Going north towards Oslo gets more hilly and thus cooler weatherwise.

You will encounter mosquitos. Bring a waterproof layer too and generally be prepared to shed layers, the forests are much warmer than woodless areas because the wind mostly dies in the thick woods During the summer making a fire might be forbidden, generally open fires are allowed only in designated fire pits. Gas/alcohol burner is likely the best option.

Summer hiking is pretty much OK with gear you use in Austria/Germany and somewhat relaxed but prepare for more temperature variation and rains. It can be warm or cold but certainly a lot of light during the nights so shades for your eyes can be useful if you have problems sleeping with lights on.

Don't cross a swamp unless you know what you are doing.

For more details google for hiking trails in the areas you intend to visit. The route would be pretty much along the coast I regardless. I would check the archipelago since you don't have that in Austria nor see on your way.

Generally south-western Sweden is not extreme stuff so you can be more laid back. Towards the north and the Scandi mountain range you have to focus more and plan ahead to not freeze to death or get lost etc. Hiking around winter time is another story.
>>
>>1051777
I am walking pretty straight northwards till Hamburg, turning east to hop the isles till Kopenhagen, from there setting over from Helsingor to Helsingborg, then walking the coastline.

I am a bit torn at the moment because I could probably just go for it right away in about 2 weeks and be back before polar winter hits.
I have been an alpine soldier and I know how to survive in the open up on our mountains but I don´t want to be surprised by skandinavian climate I have never expirienced so maybe waiting till next year would be better.

Ticks and mosquitoes are pretty common where I live and well wind and rain is something I think I will have to adapt while going through the north of germany/denmark.
But a good raincover is always in my backpack anyways.

Thanks for the interest.
What would you recommend for timing on departure?
>>
Your organs are going to be sold.
>>
>>1051786

Fuck off with this shit. I know this is all trolling but it can seriously fuck someone's headspace up. Pathetic.
>>
>>1051783
Weather will start getting worse (rain, wind, colder, maybe storms) during september sometime. Snow is somewhat questionable nowadays in the south but I'd guess snow/freezing weather in December timeframe.

6-8 months in total, you might want to be in Norway in early September... so March takeoff for 6 months trip. Spring time would work.

If you start this year (now) you will certainly experience winter too.

With an Alpine soldier training you will do fine, conditions are likely to be similar with maybe less wind.
>>
>>1051794
I´m reconsidering taking this much time at the moment. I guess I could do it in far less too.
>>1051786
If someone´s really gonna pay for these organs, they should consider themselves ripped the fuck off.
>>1051791
Also, very nice to see that this is in fact a pretty "adult" board. I hope you don´t get the same cancerous sickness /fit/ and /x/ got some years ago.
>>
>>1051825
Yes, honestly with your background and experience and so on, I'd guess you can get by with 2-3 months even including some rest days and doing like 30 km a day or whatever.

The wintertime will, if you sleep outside, require somewhat different gear (warmer sleeping bag and so on), but start of winter is not going to be super cold as such in the south. In any case, it will be very very windy at the coast.

So, I think you will do fine. Learn to swim if you can't already though...
>>
>>1051702
Yeah I have a channel with a few videos, mainly updates with me talking to the camera in a motel room. But thanks anon!

>>1051770
Sure thing bro.
And you may not consider the cart now, but keep it in mind as you progress on your journey.

Also, Europe is a different world than the USA, so I don't know what the laws are, but be sure to speak with the transportation agencies for the countries you're going through to make sure you know which roads and highways are legal to walk on. Over here, we have the Interstate Highway system which is only legal for motor vehicles capable of going 45mph. Because the system is evil, it's also usually the only connection between cities out here in the West, so it's very difficult to plan routes that manage to avoid it, without having to hike 20 days through wilderness and cattle-grazing lands.

And if you want to read about my adventure, check out my website www.victoriousvagabond.com. I don't have a lot of content on there right now, but I'm working on getting it filled with articles to read.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.