[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/. I've always been into outdoorsy things. I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: images-28.jpg (7KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
images-28.jpg
7KB, 250x202px
Hey /out/. I've always been into outdoorsy things. I was born and raised in a rural area, and still live the same way. Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, gardening, etc. If it's outside, I'm doing it. My only issue is heat and humidity. It completely kills me. This really restricts my /out/ based activities in the summer months. How do I learn to love the heat? Or how can I curb it to some extent. I'm a recovering fatty btw, so I know when I get fit, that'll help. What can I do until then to help me enjoy the great outdoors?
>>
The heat fucks me up too. I haven't really found anything that helps, but hiking into swimming holes and shit like that is always fun
>>
>>1050029
You don't. There is no way to get used to hot+humid. You can get used to hot, or you can get used to humid, but when it's both it sucks.

You can mitigate the discomfort and health risks by wearing light, wicking clothing (thin merino wool or polyester) and sticking to the shade though.

Alternatively become nocturnal.
>>
Just keep doing stuff in the heat and you'll get used to it. That's pretty much the only way.
>>
>>1050066
>thin merino wool or polyester
Neither of these things..... Plant based fibers only! With loose weaves.
>>
>>1050071
So when it gets wet it stays wet forever and you get basically no evaporative cooling?

yeah nah ur a cunt.
>>
Just get used to spending your summers as a neet and do shit the other 3 seasons of the year
>>
>>1050066
cotton will cool you better imo
>>
File: c4jt321.png (310KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
c4jt321.png
310KB, 580x282px
>>1050029
I'm sitting in my house. The temps inside are 80F, slightly warmer than outside (78F). Humidity is 98%. I have a box fan in my window. I'm eating a huge bowl of piping hot potato soup. I'm fully clothed and wearing heavy carpenter's jeans. Earlier today it was 98F and 100% humidity. Thankfully, it rained a tiny bit just after the sun went over the hills. I'm fine with this heat.

However, 2 weeks ago, it killed me. It takes about that long to for your body to fully adjust to a new environment. Like going from AC to no AC outside. You just have to train with heat until you can take it. However, that doesn't mean heatstroke. You should keep your head cool and drink plenty of cold water. A dorag with lots of nap on it completely soaked with water, on your head, is a life saver most of the time, even in terrible humidity. The dorag I use is a thin dishtowel with lots of nap that allows for tons of water and really good evaporation. If you have long hair, use a ponytail and keep it tight to your head while wearing a wet dorag. Alternatively, if you are in the sun, wear the biggest fucking hat you can find. Literally sombrero like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Size-L-Mexican-Brown-straw-Sombrero-cowboy-hat-/172743473115

The worst part is trying to sleep in this humidity. Good luck with that. When it is really bad and I can't take it, like over 100F+ with 100% humidity, I use the dorag plus put my feet into big buckets of cold water. Or, I go swimming in the river or pond. Fuck humidity.
>>
>>1050029
I've become a fan of the lightweight long sleeve fishing shirts from Columbia. I know /out/ hates that company, but I'm sure Arc'teryx makes something similar for 10x the cost.

Anway they are button down and have some slots with mesh so you get lots of airflow, the sleeves roll up and button, they protect from sun and bugs, and whatever material they use dries really fast.
>>
>>1050139
I like Columbia and so does my gf, works good, durability is fair.

Only buy on sale tho.
>>
>>1050029
Shit dude. I'm in SE Texas. Heat and humidity is the norm here. You gotta get started in the early morning and work yourself into the heat.... it's the only way. Take a break around 2. Start back up around 5 or 6 if you have the option to do so. Cooling towels, gold bond powder, sunscreen, beer, and water is all I can tell ya.
>>
>>1050160
Oh yeah ... and bug spray
>>
OP here. Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to look into some better clothing. I live in central PA. It's generally in the 80's with high humidity all summer long. I don't have AC at home because I don't NEED it, I just use fans. My house is built into the side of a hill too, so that helps with temperature control. But as soon as I step out the door, I instantly feel wet all over from the humidity. It absolutely kills me. I generally wear exclusively cotton clothes in the summer, heavy wool in the winter. I'm not familiar with merino, I'll look into it. Can't hurt to try. Can't wait to get down to a normal weight, I feel like that'll help tremendously.
>>
>>1050204
>Can't wait to get down to a normal weight, I feel like that'll help tremendously.

It does. I lost 50lbs one summer and fucking everything was cold. Heat didn't affect me at all. However, there wasn't a comfortable seat ANYWHERE.
>>
I grew up on a small island.
Humidity in the high 90's snd temps over 40c were common.

You can get used to the heat, but you will never be comfortable.

Water helps. Always be drinking.
I'd often drink 6 liters a day.

Cotton clothing is the only choice.
Clothing soaks up sweat which in turn evaporates, and has a cooling effect.

Wind also helps cool you off, and keeps bugs away too.

Learn to sleep on cold hard ground at night. No mattresses or bedding.

Or better yet, just sleep during the middle of the day when it's hottest.

Go for a swim whenever possible.

Keep to the shaded part of the shade.

Wear thin socks with jungle boots or just sandals with no socks.
>>
>>1050074
If it's humid you don't get much evaporative cooling anyway.

>>1050067
is correct, and losing weight also helps if you are a chunky monkey.
>>
>>1050204
>wearing cotton in humid environments
>enjoying life

Pick one.
>>
wear white clothes. It helps a lot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.