[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm on a flight out to go backpacking in the Grand Tetons.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: LS Hardesty 6-25-17 107.jpg (415KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
LS Hardesty 6-25-17 107.jpg
415KB, 1600x1200px
I'm on a flight out to go backpacking in the Grand Tetons. I just found out it looks like this.

I have microspikes but no ice axe. Am I fucked?
>>
>>1049875
Who told you it looks like that?

I haven't been down there in a month or so, but up here in the Gallatin range the snow is off until 9000 feet or so.
>>
>>1049878
That picture is from the ranger office.

I just got off the phone with them and they advised not to attempt Teton Crest trail unless I have experience snow hiking with axes/crampons.

I'm not sure if they are just trying to scare people off or if its really that bad.
>>
100% you can find a store with ice axes near the tetons. snow this time of year is generally technically easy, if physically challenging. just halve your normal speed when planning.

and watch out for avalanche risk angles, cornices, snow bridges, and high/fast/cold river crossings from snow melt.
>>
>>1049875
What were you thinking planning a backpacking trip in the Tetons in the first week of July? Also, why didn't you look into the snowmelt's progress before you got there?

>>1050188
I can confirm that Jackson Hole is full of outdoor gear stores; however, it might still be early in the season to salvage a trip in all that snow if he came prepared for "backpacking." There could be a lot of sections where he won't be able to make progress without snowshoes.
>>
>>1050244
>There could be a lot of sections where he won't be able to make progress without snowshoes.
only 1 way to find out. i took that chance in the sierra 2 weeks ago and got lucky; never needed snowshoes, microspikes and an axe were enough, even with a winter-weight pack.

i do recommend bringing an extra bottle of fuel in those conditions.
>>
>>1050248
Take a look at the latitude of where you were in the Sierras and then compare it with northern Wyoming. They are on entirely different seasonal schedules.
>>
>>1050251
i'm aware. but more influential than being a few hundred miles further north is being a few hundred miles further inland with different dominant weather patterns. it's also more likely to benefit from overnight freezes than i got (it didn't get cold enough to refreeze the snow until over 11000' for me).

really the most important thing is to have a realistic understanding of you abilities and not be too proud to turn around if conditions start to push too hard.
>>
>>1050268
If the OP has the skills, then he will find a way. If not, I hope he follows up.
>>
You didn't bother to do a single bit of research before getting on a flight?
>>
File: 1497858791741.png (146KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
1497858791741.png
146KB, 671x519px
You booked a flight and planned a trip to somewhere you've obviously done zero fucking research on?
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>1049879
>Trusting the federal gummint's word
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.