[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about geotagging........ I know this is a hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Insta-Map.jpg (2MB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Insta-Map.jpg
2MB, 4288x2848px
Let's talk about geotagging........

I know this is a hard concept for a lot of people to comprehend, but geotagging posts on instagram is destroying our best kept outdoor secrets. Places that I used to never see humans at are getting overrun, and I get physically sick when I see a hidden cabin / waterfall / cave that's a community secret with a big ol' fucking location tag on it.

This is how the outdoors gets killed. This is how fences go up. This is how we lose our treasure.

I guess what I'm saying is.... DON'T DO IT!!! Tell your friends not to do it, and take a stand when you see other people doing it. I regularly troll my local spots and hashtags on IG to give these people a friendly reminder that they shouldn't be geotagging, and why. Most of the time these people are completely clueless and don't realize what they're doing.

We need to take a stand. Share your horror stories here.
>>
Is it possible to create false geo tags? I've never used them, but understand what you are saying.

Say someone finds your local spot, could you put up images of the area with wrong coordinates #localspot? Maybe if people only have a 10% chance of picking the right coordinates they might stop trying?
>>
Can you explain to a Luddite without a pocket computer how all this works?
And what are they tagging?
They can't be places too hard to get to, and they have to be places that they get reception, no?
Do people get some sort of karma or e-cred for doing this or is it pure attention whoring?
>>
>>1049292
I'd imagine it's a mix of 3 people
1. Attention whores
2. Luddites who don't realize their phone/camera can store geodata which people can pull from an image file
3. People who genuinely think they are helping others by sharing nice places to go enjoy nature
>>
>>1049292
Sure, so for example I know of more than a few mountain cabins that are well-kept, or at least used to be, secrets. Luddites WITH pocket computers will either be shown by a local, or stumble by chance upon them.

They then photograph it and upload to instagram to show how cool and adventurous they are, but also include an approximate (or precise) GPS location which is attached to the photo. You don't need reception for this to happen.

Boom, now everyone in the fucking world knows about that spot. I'd say it's a good mix of people attention whoring, and people who have no clue that the location data is even being saved in the first place.
>>
>>1049295
>>1049297
Thanks
I think I get it now
It's all about embedded/meta data
I still open all pics in paint, resize them, and resave them, before I post them here
All I know about instragram is that it is how much a hipster weighs
>>
>>1049275
>Technology draining life of all meaningful experiences as it encroaches further, further, and further
Really, you don't say
>>
File: 1493347942532.jpg (93KB, 816x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493347942532.jpg
93KB, 816x960px
>that's MY secret public spot!
>everyone else is ruining it!
Only failures horde information. If your spot is being regularly accessed by instagram posters it's not /out/ enough.
>>
>>1049627
>it's not /out/ enough

So what IS /out/ enough? You don't have to give a specific place, but I am genuinely curious of what your description of that is.
>>
>>1049275
>Not going where there isn't service
>?????
>>
>>1049732
It uses GPS, you are an idiot
>>
>>1049289
Yea it's not hard. If youre talking about Instagram then it's even easier, just key in a false location manually when you upload and that's it.
>>
>>1049627
Well that pic is mostly bullshit. It totally depends on how you define success. The person on the left may be happier but you can't definitely say he will be richer or more powerful.
>>
I dont know how to save from instagram, so how do people get the geotag data?

If i upload to instagram its 99.99% of the time with a shot from a real camera anyway
>>
>implying normies can into gps and gis
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.