[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /out/'s thoughts on camping hammocks? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (330KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
330KB, 1920x1080px
What are /out/'s thoughts on camping hammocks? I'm going out camping in crown land for the Canada Day long weekend and need to get some camping gear. So far I'm planning on getting a Hennessey Expedition hammock ($160) and a Gregory Stout 45L backpack ($160). I'm picking both because they're in stock at a local store and I don't have time to order online.

I've only ever camped in tents, but hammocks look pretty comfy and convenient.
>>
Cheeky bump
>>
>>1049023
There are plenty of places and times when hammocks work just fine. You should probably also look into an underquilt or comparable.

With that said, there are also places and times when they are not the best option.
>>
PROS:
>Out of the mud
>Fairly compact

NOT PROS:
>Really cold, so you need to invest in a good sleeping bag
>Not sideways rain proof
>Bugs
>Wetness
>Requires trees to use
>No space for gear, which means your rifle/rods will be out in the rain

Hammocks are handy, mainly for mud. But if you can use a tent then do so. I change between a tent and a hammock. I use it during the winter when the ground is permanently mud.
>>
>>1049077
That point about no space for gear is a good one, I completely overlooked that. I'll get a tarp.
>>
>>1049077

>Not sideways rain proof
buy a bigger tarp?
>Bugs
buy one that has a bug net on it?
>Wetness
what?

the rest of those were valid tho, except underquilt instead of a sleeping bag
>>
>>1049194
>buy a bigger tarp
Even a 12' long cat tarp isn't going to provide the same protection from rain as an actual tent. No size or shape of tarp is going to be as good in wind as an actual tent, much less a 4-season tent. Sideways rain involves both wind and rain.
>buy a bug net
By the time you have your tarp, hammock, bugnet, underquilt, overquilt, bajillion tie-outs to keep light breezes from throwing shit everywhere, double fistful of stakes, and second set of tree straps to keep your pack and shit out of the mud you're at the same weight as a mid-level 3 person tent, and close to the same bulk. A hammock's big advantage is you don't have to use everything every time because it's modular, unlike (the vast majority of) tents.
>wetness
It doesn't matter if you have a "winter" cat tarp and are very very good about getting the storm flaps just perfect, water will run down the hammock straps. Yes, you can create water breaks, but they're not 100% effective.
>>
>>1049205
have literally never had the problem with rain as you describe. have a warbonnet blackbird. the water would need to travel down the straps, past the metal buckle things, make it onto the rope, and then travel vertically so it goes into the bug net instead of just dripping off.

the hammock also has the bug net attached to the hammock itself...

buy something of quality and you won't have problems. if you're using a plastic tarp from walmart with a leisure hammock people hang in their yards, yeah you're going to have a lot more weight and hassle
>>
>>1049210
Nah I'm talking about super high end hammocks, like dutchgear, and super high end rainflys, like CF and xenon sil shit.

A Dutchgear half-net hammock rigged with continuous loops and whoopie slings plus a 12' CF cat tarp plus 2 sets of 4' kevlar 1" tree straps plus your 12 guy lines plus 12 titanium V-stakes still weighs over 3.5 pounds. Not including underquilt, which is 100% needed for any camping below about 60*F nightly low. And will cost around $700.

Meanwhile my Big Agnes 3-person with footprint, 4 guy lines, and 8 aluminum Y stakes weighs about 3.5 pounds, legit sleeps 3 people, doesn't need an underquilt, and cost me $200.

Hammocks have their place. Foul weather camping is not it.
>>
>>1049205
>sideways rain
>in the forest

pick one
>>
File: rC9tQGF.jpg (31KB, 720x580px) Image search: [Google]
rC9tQGF.jpg
31KB, 720x580px
>>1049023
any hammock that wont rip is good, you dont need an expensive one since they are all the same thing- its a damn hammock get the cheapest one that will support the weight u want - i got a free soldier hammock on amazon and some other one - both around 40$ the FreeSoldier one is better because its stronger and wider with an option to be more of a bridge hammock, both have bug nets and you dont need to buy a rain flap just use some plastic from home depot - that bag is ok but do u need more pockets? there doesnt look to be much storage in there
>>
>>1049023
oh also u dont need that cocoon that goes around the hammock to stay warm - just get a low temp sleeping bag like 20 degree F, i have a 0 degree bag, and then take a folded cardboard to put under you if u get cold- its just as effective and lighter/smaller/cheaper - put a little cloth glued around the cardboard if you want to look cool like maybe blue felt
>>
>>1049023
do get the hammock ropes though - the looped ones u just hook a carabiner to, its much much easier or even get some tie down straps from walmart - theres 4 pack of straps that hold 400lbs each for 17$ - unless u going over 800lbs thats all u need - wayayyyyy better to use that stuff than tying knots - oh look into a rope ladder like a fire escape ladder - heavy but if u going up high its probably better easier and lighter than taking climbing gear
>>
I have a grand trunk double, eno tree straps, eno profly tarp, a mix of aluminum and steel stakes I acquired, and an undersling for my backpack to sit in. Undersling is super important because otherwise your shit can get wet or wildlife more easily gets access to it. It's my absolute favorite way to camp during warmer months though. Throw a cheap thermarest pad underneath of you and a 30 degree bag and you've booked a first class ticket to sleep airborne. Bug netting is entirely optional, but most people probably don't need it and you can always use a little bug spray on your neck to help.
>>
>>1049212
Hammocks can work in any weather when done correctly.

Also, you compare a tent to a hammock set up which isn't exactly fair, since the hammock also includes what is your bed, the actual hammock. A hammock isn't about weight or cost, it's about comfort. That tent you mention also includes only 1 thing to sleep on, and that's the cold hard ground. You'd need to add a sleeping pad minimum, and to even approach the comfort of a hammock you'd have to have an expensive, and relatively heavy inflatable pad. Even then, many people would still say the hammock is more comfortable.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.