[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently bought one of these cooksets after a friend recommended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 8346-100210162902667776292.jpg (26KB, 538x343px) Image search: [Google]
8346-100210162902667776292.jpg
26KB, 538x343px
Recently bought one of these cooksets after a friend recommended it
Thoughts? Anyone have any experience with them?

Also /out/ cooking thread I guess
>>
File: Iceland-gas-stove-cartridge-220g.jpg (102KB, 1304x978px) Image search: [Google]
Iceland-gas-stove-cartridge-220g.jpg
102KB, 1304x978px
good and effective. pretty nice size when its all put together

i personally prefer cooking kits where the stove connects directly to the fuel. less evaporation, and no need to worry about refilling the fuel pot. yours is probably better for long term trips however
>>
File: WhisperLite_International.jpg (48KB, 532x450px) Image search: [Google]
WhisperLite_International.jpg
48KB, 532x450px
>>1045597
>canister stoves
you're being scammed, my friend.
>kerosene
>white gas
>motherfucking gasoline
>>
>>1045597
The annoying thing about gas bottles is I can never really tell how full it is. Yes you can feel the weight of it but I'm paranoid about running out of gas and I always end up packing another bottle
>>
>>1045602
enjoy dying a fiery explosive death
>>
>>1045602
How do these work then?
>>
>>1045604
bring a pressure gauge
since you're bringing gas weight apparently your #1 priority
though full should be plenty for an emergency
shouldnt rely on gas stove for cooking all your meals anyway
>>
>>1045624
>unscrew lid on tank
>fill with fuel
>screw lid back on
>pump to prime
>light
>repeat when empty
>>
>>1045581
they're really great unless you want to go above 3000m then the normal fuel is too inefficient.
>>
File: Stove.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Stove.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1045614
why?

My stove is pretty basic but it serves its job.
>>
>>1045597
Direct connection to fuel is fail in cold climate especially with gas like in your picture.

In cold, the gas has problems oozing out from the container, and you can't just flip the container upside down.
>>
>>1045604
Weigh the bottle + gas, subtract bottle weight, then you can calculate % of fullness.

Do this a couple of times and you can estimate that for trip like this you spend % of gas bottle.

Below 10% (or whatever safety margin you want), bring a spare.
>>
File: 1467917672005.png (3MB, 1348x5196px) Image search: [Google]
1467917672005.png
3MB, 1348x5196px
Pic related.
I use the Coleman F1 Lite and it is perfect, light weight and I ca\n carry fuel canister sizes that fit with the length of my trip.
I am planning on getting a Bushbox outdoor pocket stove for emergencies and fun, it is pretty lightweight and takes up little room.
>>
>>1045581
I have no trouble cooking with a Stanley over an open fire; I don't understand the need for complex multi-bowl/pot/pan sytems with stoves you need to carry fuel for.
>>
>>1045581
They bretty gud desu.
Gas is much more efficient than ethanol though. And telling how much gas is left should not be too hard with a little practice. So do yourself a favour and get the gas-system as well.
>>
I love my trangia but its pain in the ass to clean everything after cooking. You need to bring some soap with you if you want to get all that black sticky shit off. If you try to clean it with only water your hands get really dirty and its not gonna come off easily and taste like shit if its get insede your pot.

I heard if you mix some water with alcohol its gonna help a little.
>>
>ctrl f Alzheimer's
>0 of 0

for shame
>>
>>1045581
trangia? heavy and outdated

>t. whitebox stove user

PS alcohol is absolute shit tier in cold weather >>1045602 this anon knows where it's at.
>>
>>1046735
Some people like to be outdoor chefs. I'd rather be a 1-pot guy, and since I hike alone a 0.8L pot has done everything I've needed it to while not taking a geological epoch to heat water in if I'm using an alcohol stove.
>>1045624
>fill fuel bottle with your preferred liquid fuel
>screw lid on fuel bottle
>pump it a bajillion times to pressurize and prime it
>open the valve
>pump it a bajillion more times to really actually prime it
>light within 5 seconds
>hope you didn't wait 1 second too long and explode
>cook for 1 minute
>pump it a bajillion more times when it starts to sputter, because each pump stroke has so little pump volume it's the equivalent of a gnat fart in a hurricane
>cook for another minute
>pump it a bajillion more times
>realize you've burned a quarter liter of fuel and the half liter of water you're trying to boil is at like room temperature because you're getting a really shitty, sporadic flame because it doesn't have enough pressure
>turn everything off
>spend the next 45 minutes pumping it like a bonobo on boner pills
>turn everything back on
>light within 5 seconds, hope you didn't wait 1 second too long and explode
>cook for 1 minute
>run out of fuel
>water is still cool enough to touch
>repeat 5-6x before water actually boils
That's my experience with kerosene in an MSR Whisperlite International made in the late 90's anyway.
>>
>>1046998
running gasoline in a 10 year old one (cousin's) and a 1 year old one (brother's), my experience is they prime quickly, light easily, stay lit, burn steadily, and boil water quickly.
>>
>>1046998
I have used a Whisperlite to cook hundreds of meals, many at high altitude, and this is not my experience at all
I tend to stick with white gas though
>>
File: dinner.jpg (212KB, 1024x680px)
dinner.jpg
212KB, 1024x680px
>>1045581
>also /out/ cooking thread I guess

I wish cooking threads had tasty recipes instead of endless gear photos. Going on a 5 day trip tomorrow, here's a dank Hobo dinner recipe.

>Serves 2-4
>1lb ground beef / steak / salmon
>2 potatoes OR sweet potatoes
>1 can corn
>1 onion, chopped
>half to one bag baby carrots, chopped OR 4-6 carrots, chopped
>4-6 stalks celery
>shredded cheese
>season liberally with mix of pepper, salt, brown sugar, dash of Worcestershire or soy sauce
>wrap in tin foil
>throw in fire, cook about 10-20 minutes or until beef is cooked / potatoes are soft

Easy as fuuuuuuuggggg but I wish I knew more detailed recipes. Most other cooking I do while /out/ is straight forward, like steak or trout w/ rice.
>>
Any opinions on the dry fuel canteen stove? So far I've tried cooking over fire, and alcohol stoves. Both have their disadvantages.
>>
>>1047222
Hexamine sucks, is expensive and leaves scorch marks on the bottom of your pan. If your primary concern with wood is that it's open, burn in a can.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.