[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going on a 200 mile backpacking trip this summer, can I get some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_7142.png (674KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7142.png
674KB, 750x1334px
Going on a 200 mile backpacking trip this summer, can I get some quick guidance on boots? Considering these Aslos, but would the Solomon 4d ones be a better option? Others out there perhaps? I've been paddling a ton but am new to backpacking.
>>
>>1044797
Pick something that breathes well. Depending on terrain, I'd go with trail runners.
>>
Don't pick boots, they are heavy.
Don't pick waterproof, they are not breathable.
You don't need "ankle support"
>>
>>1044797
Unless you know how to care for leather, don't get these. If you are going to be walking in the heat and your feet will be sweating, don't get these. If you are going to have to ford streams and get your feet wet, don't get these. I love my pair, but they do not breathe or dry out without considerable solar radiation or one of them newfangled electric boot dryers. The ankle support is the tits in rocky/ loose terrain. I'm a clumsy fuck and I have not managed to roll my ankle in these yet.
>>
>>1044808
Consider boots if your pack weighs more than 50 lbs and you'll be off a trail sometimes.
>>
>>1044797
Try them on and get the ones that fit best.

>>1044802
>>1044808
>>1045063
And don't listen to these faggots, they're fair weather trail walkers who think their own personal preference should apply to everyone.
>>
Salomon 4d with superfeet insoles are god tier.
>>
>>1045213
>Opinions are useless so I just won't have one
Stop wasting air, you're useless
>>
File: IMG_20170121_131703.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_131703.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>1044797

I have a pair and love them. Typically hike in wet and rocky conditions with significant bush bashing - see pic related.

Wouldn't recommend Solomons, some mates have had issues with stitching falling apart.

Another boot similar to the Asolos are Zamberlan Vioz GTX, definitely check them out.
>>
>>1044797
We need to know where you are going to be hiking.

But on most established trails, you won't need boots, and hiking shoes are going to be better. You wont need the ankle support. You're going to get less blisters and carry less weight. Your footwear needs to be as light as you can get it.
>>1045325
If most of the trail is like this, then I would suggest boots.

But if most of the trail is something like AT, then dont bother.

Or you can carry both and change shoes when the trail demands it.

Basically at all other times you arent offtrail or passing over a lot of rocky terrain, you're going to hate boots.
>>
>>1044797
Asolo boots are not comparable with cheap boots like Solomon, however keep in mind full leader boots are more heavy then nylon and suede version so if you don't hike over extreme condition trails with ice and snow consider the light ones. Take with you some running shoes or trail runners for when walk over asphalt, concrete or simple trails
>>
What boots are best for you almost entirely comes down to preference.
Some people like trailrunners, some people like big tall full leather boots. One is not better or worse than the other.

The most important thing is trying the boots you want to buy out in a store. You'll never know if the boot actually fits otherwise.
>>
File: Hiker_Ebony_Latigo2.jpg (99KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
Hiker_Ebony_Latigo2.jpg
99KB, 1024x700px
These can't actually be good for backpacking, right?
>>
>>1045354
Ive never used them, so I dont know about their quality. Shoes really depend on you, though. I have some beater off-brand walmart shoes I use for 3days just because they fit well.
>>
>>1045354
ofcourse not
>>
>>1045354
those are good for "backpacking" europe
>>
>>1045213
>Try them on and get the ones that fit best.
>>1045352
>The most important thing is trying the boots you want to buy out in a store.
these, with a loaded pack on, for at least 30 minutes. just walk around the store in them. or order from a online company with a good return policy. if they say the shoes must be "unworn" to return them put some blue painters tape on the soles.

re: asolos, when i was trying on boots a couple months ago they seemed to have very high arches to me.
>>
File: 299780_43015_41.jpg (711KB, 1950x2250px) Image search: [Google]
299780_43015_41.jpg
711KB, 1950x2250px
I have a pair of pic related that I love. Thick polyeurathane midsoles too, so they're good for backpacking. The cordura upper will breathe better than that leather.
>>
I think this board needs a boots vs trail runners pro's and cons chart.
>>
File: mindbenders 2.5 years.jpg (529KB, 2163x528px) Image search: [Google]
mindbenders 2.5 years.jpg
529KB, 2163x528px
>>1045497
trailrunners
>lighter
>less protection
boots
>heavier
>more protection

i use both, situationally dependent, plus i have a pair of vasque approach shoes, when my /out/ing requires more grip.
>>
>>1045508
Well, I guess. I can't really imagine any official hiking trails that would require boots though, am I correct to assume the only time you would need boots if you're going off trail or if you just head out innawoods without any routes or trails?
>>
>>1045511
New Hampshire Appalachian Trail
Mostly not even what one would call a trail so much as a bunch of fucking boulders
Outside of winter, NH is the only place where you truly need boots.
>>
>>1045511
off trail i still use my trailrunners. i specifically bought the ones with the beefiest soles i could find to eat up talus with a heavy pack. i bought my first pair of boots in years just a month ago because there's still so much fucking snow in the sierra i need something warmer and waterproof. fwiw i ended up with merrell phaserbounds, and my brother got lowa renegades, and we're both very happy with our choices.
>>
>>1045524
Do you use poles?
>>
>>1045538
At the time I only used walking sticks during winter. I saw others using them, and I walked with somebody that lent me one till we parted, but it didnt feel like it was too useful. Maybe if I had more weight it would have felt more effective, or maybe I was using it wrong.
>>
>>1045524
So yes? I'll probably get boots for when I want to go hiking in winter though, but for now (summer) trail runners seems like the way to go.
>>1045532
So you'd only use boots in very cold/snowy conditions?
>>
File: phaserbound.jpg (91KB, 724x683px) Image search: [Google]
phaserbound.jpg
91KB, 724x683px
>>1045546
>So you'd only use boots in very cold/snowy conditions?
pretty much. a couple miles of the trail i was on a week ago was flooded with 2-4" of runoff, so boots were nice for that, too. but even if i'm expecting incidental water/stream crossings i'll go with my trail runners because they dry out quickly and are generally much cooler.
>>
>>1045546
Yes, that's what I'd recommend. Trailrunners are usually better than boots except for ice or stone situations.

For young kids I'd still give them boots though. They need to learn how to tie and care for them, and it's good training. Basically teaching them to "deal with the misery". Sounds cruel when you put it like that though.
>>1045548
Why not take your shoes off or put on water shoes for water crossings?
>>
>>1045548
>>1045552
Thanks for the info, trail runners it is! Any advice on buying trail runners? Good brands/models?
>>
>>1045477
Backpacking all of Europe or only UE founding members?
>>
>>1045553
I 'tactically acquired' mine, the labels are off and they've really had the shit beat out of them, so I dont know what they are. Can probably check Youtube, but you're best off going to a store or ordering a bunch online, then returning the ones back that don't fit you well. What works for the more experienced trekkers might not work for you. Footwear is a really personal piece of gear.

As the above post said, give them a walkabout. Pack should be heavier than what you expect to normally carry, and the shoes should be a tight fit if they're new.
>>
>>1045552
because they dry quickly enough i'll sacrifice 1/4 mile of wet feet for an easier crossing and to not carry a bulky specialized piece of gear.

>>1045553
i like my vasque mindbenders a lot. super aggressive lugs, the stiffest sole i've found on trail runners (important for very uneven rocky terrain), and lots of mesh. but as great as they are /out/ they're absolute death on tile or concrete because they have very little shock absorption.
>>
>>1045569
You can dry your feet off with a bandana, and watershoes are really lightweight and easy to fold.
>>
>>1045571
if they make you happy then i'm happy for you. but i don't want to carry a piece of gear with that much relative bulk that i'll use for <50' when something i have anyways will perform 95% as well, and i don't have to stop and sit to take them on and off.
>>
>>1045524
do you hike the Whites regularly? or did you section/thru hike them?
>>
>>1045586
No, I've only passed through once on AT in early 2000s.
>>
>>1045588
nice. i hike the whites every now and again and have done so in new balance running shoes, not recommended, but it worked.

they finally gave out around the liberty springs trail area a couple months back
>>
>>1045593
Maybe I'll get around to it but I still havent thruhiked Pinhoti, so I'm not interested on redoing AT anytime soon.
>>
>>1045354
>2017
>wanting to buy hiking boots that were designed in a time where form outweighted function.
>>
>>1045524
>a bunch of fucking boulders
We're called the Granite State for a reason. Best mountains and hiking in the north east but so many rocks you'd need a backhoe to bury a fucking cat.
>>
>>1045593
Not him but I just did the ridge trail and overnighted at the Liberty springs site recently. Great area. Also, the caretaker was a turbo qt who wore chacos and socks.
>>
>>1045832
yeah well the next time I come around Im bringing some fucking dynamite out of spite
>>
>>1045864
Make a thread when you do and maybe we can get a group together. Seems to be a lot of NH anons.
>>
>>1045870
I've never looked into it but I doubt blowing up boulders in the mountains is exactly legal, nor conducive to my personal health and safety.
Plus I'm in Alabama, I don't expect to go back to NH for many years.
>>
>>1045832
Can confirm, living free and/ or dying currently, and it took me an hour to bury a porcupine I shot a little while back. I also went on a trail in Sandwhich Range that required actual bouldering over a certain stretch. It was funner n' hell!
>>
Does anyone has some experience with Lowa Camp, Lowa Super Camp, Mammut / Raichle Colorado LTH?
>>
File: Wedge-Shoes-For-Women-By-Zara.jpg (54KB, 570x497px) Image search: [Google]
Wedge-Shoes-For-Women-By-Zara.jpg
54KB, 570x497px
Use pic related, you'll always be hiking downhill.
>>
Buy the 535s instead of the 520s. I've crossed rivers in mine and they are always dry by next morning.
>>
File: IMG_3679.jpg (80KB, 735x773px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3679.jpg
80KB, 735x773px
Is Lowa a good brand? I get a boot allowance for work and a pair are on sale at REI for about what my allowance is.
>>
I have those Asolos. They fit gud, but for the money and the weight I want something more durable or at least easier to resole.

>>1049243
They're fine. Asolo/Scarpa tier, better than cheap shit, worse than Limmer or Nick's.
>>
>>1048713
holy shit thats an amazing life hack thanks brah
>>
>>1049243
Most versatile boot coming through

>hot weather
>snow
>wet weather
>rocky terrain
>flat terrain
>sand
>literally anything
>>
>>1049259
Small toe box though
>>
>>1044797
First question, where are you going. Post trail.
Are you going off trail?

These seem too heavy for an average hikers' needs but i need to hear the plan first to give a good answer
>>
>>1049259
Hi, it's me, the guy who bought a pair of these and is super fucking pissed off about it.

Mine started leaking significantly after only three months of use in occasionally wet conditions, so I can't wear them in the rain anymore, and if I walk through wet grass with them (god forbid), my feet are wet within ten minutes. After five months, the sole started peeling apart in three different places, and the toe of one was also separating. Now it's been seven months, and the inside of the soles are peeling away from both boots.

These have seen what I consider light use, just day hikes and two short (2-3) backpacking trips. I was amazed at how quickly these fell apart, since I love Salomon ski gear.
>>
>>1049374
Goretex is warrantied for life. Contact Gore.
>>
Has anyone actually tried going innawoods in these? I ordered a pair and they feel fantastic but not really sure how well they'll hold up.
>>
>>1051136
Only one way to find out eh?
>>
>>1045272
Wearing these exact boots as I type this. Good to see some fellow men of taste on /out/
>>
UK cityboi here

I recently spent 4 days in Acadia national park over in the US, this was my first "real" experience of being /out/ I guess, although it was just hiking established trails.

Anyway, absolutely loved it and want more. What I'm really looking for is some decent footwear suggestions... I know it is terrain dependent and there is a wealth of information on here already, and that is the problem I guess.

Basically, I'm after suggestions for a decent all rounder if anyone can help
>>
>>1051136
Not made for outdoors even by 1990's europoor military standards. They're sort of glorified dress boots with the vibram-copy sole. Check out the Aust. alpine/mountain boots of the same era; they are comfy and lined. They might not dry out as fast but those things won't particularly quickly either.
>>
>>1049374
Salomon has a one year warranty. There's literally no reason not to shoot them an email
>>
>>1044797
salomon's have served me well. One suggestion is to hit them with camp dry with laces removed even if they're waterproof. Oh and using the salomons I can say that the contragrip soles aren't terribly great on wet rocks. But they are good for general use. I had some north face boots I was swapping out with on a regular basis and their soles were working better on wet rocks.
>>
File: bayern bad staffelstein.jpg (758KB, 2560x1219px) Image search: [Google]
bayern bad staffelstein.jpg
758KB, 2560x1219px
Servus Freunde,
beginner here who wants to get into hiking. Could you recommend some all around nice hiking shoes for day trips with good price-performance ratio?
Terrain and weather is not extreme, maybe rocky sometimes but overall more on trails. I hike in Bavaria like pic related. thanks.
>>
File: 900.jpg (213KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
900.jpg
213KB, 900x675px
>>1055133
I use La Sportiva Wildcats, they are very nice and mine have held up after I've clocked probably 400 miles of hiking, working, and running on them.
>>
Please recommend a low profile hiking boot at 6inches or more that's water proof, Breath-ability isn't a concern. The cheaper the better also I'm in the UK.
>>
>>1055204
I've been happier the last two years with spanking £40 every year for a pair of karrimors on verydot Co dotuk or sportdirect. Look for ones with silly reductions that never sold a pair at full price. Clean and dubbin twice a year and they'll see you through till spring. Well tbf I'd rather dump a load for a pair that'll see me through years but I'm not prepared to research with my wallet.
>>
>>1055228
>Karrimor from sportsdirect
They're just some cheap Chinese shoes with the branding slapped on.
>>
>>1044797
Popular boot with trail crews, generally last at least a season of trail work. They might be on the heavy side for just hiking around though.
>>
>>1055133
>Staffelstein
>Bayern

This triggers the Frank.
>>
>>1055383
>might be on the heavy side for just hiking around
Maybe if you're a little bitch
>>
File: mil-tec.jpg (35KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
mil-tec.jpg
35KB, 500x409px
>what about theese ?
>be honest
mil-tec
>>
File: schloss seehof bamberg FRANKEN.jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
schloss seehof bamberg FRANKEN.jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
>>1055556
haha true my friend. i thought it would be easier to get an impression than writing franconia and other anons think its some retarded french part or whatever :).
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.