[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Started playing this and really fell in love with the idea of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
Started playing this and really fell in love with the idea of being a fire lookout.

Anyone have experience with it?

Wiki says it takes a real "hardy" person to do it.

Is it that shitty?
>>
>>1043790
It's a shit job that will be automated by remote sensors on drone/satellite.
>>
File: whistlers mountian.jpg (797KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
whistlers mountian.jpg
797KB, 1920x1280px
This shit is literally a dream job of mine.

I've always wanted a small cabin with an incredible view in the mountains, live entirely off the grid with a loyal dog, a small library, and a handful of guns. Maybe internet access.

Check this out. I'd kill for this job

https://youtu.be/6YPBO_ISKuc?t=57
>>
>>1043790
>>1043824
it's easy to romanticize but, judging from your presence on 4chan, you both have a need, however slight, to interact socially.

most secluded jobs like this are appealing in theory but terribly lonely in reality.
>>
Was a volunteer fire lookout for a while. It's fun, but can get real boring.
>>
>>1043805
It already is.
>>
>>1043833
Satphone & internet would take care of that I'm sure.
>>
>>1043906
What internet do you think you'd be using out there, anon?
>>
>>1043847
Details? How long was a shift? A week? Month? Or hourly? What were some cool things you seen?
>>
>>1043790

I met a girl who did this once before. She sat in a lookout tower in Wyoming for 8 hours a day. Just sat there, read books, and watched for smoke. It paid something like 8 bucks an hour. It was cool but you can see it becoming boring very fast.
>>
>>1044021

Also for what its worth, it was in eastern Wyoming, so it was on top of a butte with a spectacular view of the prairie. Nothing to see but sun burnt grass and blue skies, not exactly the natural splendor that most people think of.
>>
Its boring as ever loving fuck
>>
>>1043982

Microwave-band wireless, numbnuts. Those lookout towers have line of sight to fucking EVERYWHERE. That's literally the whole point.
Or if nothing's in range, ISDN over copper. I've visited 3 lookout towers in mid and northern California over the years, and all of them were wired for telephone and power, with a backup generator for the power.
Your internet speeds are shit and latency is high, so you're not playing Overwatch from up there, but keeping in touch via email or posting on forums is no problem at all.
>>
File: i-L5Nf6vH-L.jpg (103KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
i-L5Nf6vH-L.jpg
103KB, 800x534px
>>1044365
>Your internet speeds are shit and latency is high
then you're doing it wrong.

A little more latency (couple of ms) than a typical wired install, sure, but 50+mbit over 30 miles isn't difficult with an inexpensive ($300 a side) link.
>Pic extremely related.
>>
File: 10109214.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
10109214.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
>>1043824
>whistler
>clearly jasper
>>
>>1044421
Are you that guy who was doing installs for the Air Force?
I'm jelly of your job.
>>
File: i-5dt6pgv-L.jpg (80KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-5dt6pgv-L.jpg
80KB, 800x451px
>>1044430
Negative, two-way/paging and IP backhaul. Mostly digital, though there's still some analog simulcasts that get maintained.
>>
>>1044445
So I can still go Max Headroom on some radio stations?
>>
File: i-WLqk97p-L.jpg (77KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-WLqk97p-L.jpg
77KB, 338x600px
>>1044447
Broadcast? notmyproblem.exe

Terrestrial broadcast is amazing. Amazing that it even works.
>>
>>1043833
>>1043847

It'd be doable depending on how long you were out there. Might be good if you have an extended project to work on that needs an extended amount off focussed concentration.
>>
>>1044428

Whistlers Mountain isn't Mt. Whistler, and ishe certainly in Jasper
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.